Do we have a 2nd Half Problem?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm doing my math right, our point differential on the year is +116 in the first half and -21 in the second half. What's with the second half struggles?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally the prevent D is the problem and then that takes the momentum away from the O but the O still plays better than tonight.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Normally the prevent D is the problem and then that takes the momentum away from the O but the O still plays better than tonight.
Offense issues in 2nd

when def has to trot out every 4 mins they get tired. Yeah they shouldn’t but damn it. After 3 series of no real rest it catches up

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense issues in 2nd

when def has to trot out every 4 mins they get tired. Yeah they shouldn’t but damn it. After 3 series of no real rest it catches up
They also get tired when they give up a bunch of 1st downs. Pettine should not try and outsmart anyone. If we are playing well and winning the game; he should keep doing what has been working. I was really impressed when Barnes and Martin were on the field together. Lots of intensity and running to the ball. Preston Smith dropping back is just a joke.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the game but I looked at the play by play for the second half and I honestly don't see where we neccessarily took our foot of the gas. Its not like it was 3 runs and a punt every drive. There were several negative yardage plays including a couple of passes and the Panthers had a few key sacks. I assume no one has a problem with the 5 consecutive runs that culminated in Jones' TD. What it looks like to me is more like Carolina made some big plays and we failed to execute on a few others. I also looked at the 3 TD drives and it looks like we were helped by a few big penalties and I didn't see where we were really doing anything differently than in the second half. Things just went our way where they didn't in the 2nd half.

I know it looks like we slowed down but honestly I didn't see it. The only thing, and I couldn't tell just from the PBP, is if we were in different formations that allowed the sacks because they seemed to me to be the difference.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely far more the offense's fault than the defense's. I've certainly gotten after LaFleur a lot this season for getting away from staple plays, and sometimes not getting as creative as he should. Hell right now I think he should try and work some more motion plays and misdirection plays into the offense with Tavon Austin in them. Austin has good speed that should be used.

But I think this game was more just players not executing the way they know they can. They get a bit lazy with leads.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's definitely far more the offense's fault than the defense's. I've certainly gotten after LaFleur a lot this season for getting away from staple plays, and sometimes not getting as creative as he should. Hell right now I think he should try and work some more motion plays and misdirection plays into the offense with Tavon Austin in them. Austin has good speed that should be used.

But I think this game was more just players not executing the way they know they can. They get a bit lazy with leads.
When is the last time they actually ran the jet sweep or the behind the line flip pass? Once or twice maybe the last several games? I don't see the motion much anymore either. Seems since Irvin got hurt that play was shelved. Also seemed Carolina figured out the quick out to DA17 and snuffed it with good tackling.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is the last time they actually ran the jet sweep or the behind the line flip pass? Once or twice maybe the last several games? I don't see the motion much anymore either. Seems since Irvin got hurt that play was shelved. Also seemed Carolina figured out the quick out to DA17 and snuffed it with good tackling.

Exactly and I'm suggesting since Ervin is out and we brought Austin in to handle the return duties that Ervin was also tasked with, use him in Ervin's motion plays too.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched 94 and 95 this game - neither should be out there. Thats the main problem, along with Pettine.

Last edited:

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm doing my math right, our point differential on the year is +116 in the first half and -21 in the second half. What's with the second half struggles?

This team does not have a killer instinct. They go into prevent offense and make awful play calls when they have a lead. This causes the defense to get worn out and give up 4th quarter TD's to get the opposing team back in the game. This formula will not work in the playoffs against better teams. We know what Seattle can do late in games, and with offenses like the Cardinals and Rams, this mentality will not work. When Rodgers gets out of sync, he has a hard time getting his groove back, hence the 3rd down sacks he always takes.
Did you see the Bills pile it on Saturday against Denver? That is what we need to do.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team does not have a killer instinct. They go into prevent offense and make awful play calls when they have a lead. This causes the defense to get worn out and give up 4th quarter TD's to get the opposing team back in the game. This formula will not work in the playoffs against better teams. We know what Seattle can do late in games, and with offenses like the Cardinals and Rams, this mentality will not work. When Rodgers gets out of sync, he has a hard time getting his groove back, hence the 3rd down sacks he always takes.
Did you see the Bills pile it on Saturday against Denver? That is what we need to do.
This is a classic case of stating a faulty premise as fact and then basing an entire theory upon it. I saw absolutely no evidence of the Packers going into anything resembling “prevent offense” on Saturday night. What I did see is the Panthers D adjusting and the Packers offense failing to execute. I’m not even sure how you are defining “prevent offense” but I would assume it would involve a heavy dose of running the ball to attempt to burn the clock at the expense of bigger pass plays to get down the field or at least get the first down. What actually happened is that the Packers stayed pass heavy and we had a combination of dropped passes and Rodgers getting harassed and sacked while the offensive line stood and watched.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was the D that was the problem, I think it's the whole damn team getting bored in the 3rd quarter that is the issue. Clean it up over the next 2 weeks or we're 1 and done again.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also get tired when they give up a bunch of 1st downs. Pettine should not try and outsmart anyone. If we are playing well and winning the game; he should keep doing what has been working. I was really impressed when Barnes and Martin were on the field together. Lots of intensity and running to the ball. Preston Smith dropping back is just a joke.

The offense scoring 3 points in the second half isn't the problem, it's the DEFENSE!! Interesting take.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just for the record, the Cardinals, Seahawks and Rams are ranked 16th or worse in points scored in the fourth quarter this season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense scoring 3 points in the second half isn't the problem, it's the DEFENSE!! Interesting take.
I don't know how you get your take from my comment. It was not meant to be game specific. The 2nd half of the Carolina game reminded me a lot of the Tampa game. And yeah, the offense was a huge problem. All the pressure and the ability of them to stop the run at the same time were recipes for disaster. That does not change my opinion that we make a mistake in the 2nd half when Pettine starts changing things up in order to use up clock. Anyway, we are in a pretty good spot right now. But we will need to figure out how to move the ball when they do apply pressure and we can't run. Somebody suggested go deep and right off the snap.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how you get your take from my comment. It was not meant to be game specific. The 2nd half of the Carolina game reminded me a lot of the Tampa game. And yeah, the offense was a huge problem. All the pressure and the ability of them to stop the run at the same time were recipes for disaster. That does not change my opinion that we make a mistake in the 2nd half when Pettine starts changing things up in order to use up clock. Anyway, we are in a pretty good spot right now. But we will need to figure out how to move the ball when they do apply pressure and we can't run. Somebody suggested go deep and right off the snap.

The primary issues were the defense taking away Adams, MLF not putting Adams in motion to free him up, those stupid quick sideways passes to WRs, and forgetting about the running game in the second half. Defense comes in somewhere after all that.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
those stupid quick sideways passes to WRs, and forgetting about the running game in the second half.
Reading between the lines in the pressers and it looks like this in on AR12 and not MLF. RPOs that turned mostly into quick passes that weren't as open as they first seemed.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading between the lines in the pressers and it looks like this in on AR12 and not MLF. RPOs that turned mostly into quick passes that weren't as open as they first seemed.

Great, if that's the tradeoff for having the MVP then I'll take it. For everthing EXCEPT the running, it's on MLF to figure things out, he's the coach, I doubt Rodgers is in charge of getting Adams away from double teams. I also don't believe that it's all on Rodgers in the run game for the second half; what, Rodgers was cool with running in the first half and then decided to abandon it after halftime?

Members online