Division round vs Niners 7:15 Saturday LFT

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh not good or bad, right now they don’t need to have a spot on the active roster till they elevate them. Keke releasing opens a spot and I could see perhaps a Hanson release type move coming as well given health of line coming back.
With Bak and Jaire et al coming back, the roster gets a little tougher to make. Not having room for Keke could be seen as an encouragiung sign, and may motivate other middle-of-the-road players to step up their game.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I can find reasons why I wouldn't want to play all the remaining playoff teams, but I don't need to. I think this is one of the best teams that the Packers have had in a long time and given they are at home, they should have a clear path to the Super Bowl. Go out, play good (I didn't say great) defense, run your offense and you beat any and all of these teams. Packers could beat themselves with turnovers and penalties, but I don't see them doing that either. The atmosphere on Saturday is going to be nuts at Lambeau and the home team is going to be poised and ready to go.
That's the way I'm looking at it, too. I won't lie - I'm nervous about this game like I am about any playoff game, but I'm not actually worried. I fully expect to win this game, and we deserve to be expected to win.

There's a reason Vegas has Green Bay far more heavily favored to win this weekend than any other team - it's because they are just the substantially better team. San Francisco's a good team, too, but it still took a patented Mike McCarthy undisciplined playoff game and bonehead 4th quarter playcall to seal the deal against the Cowboys, a team that I don't think most Packer fans would have been too worried about playing next weekend if it had come to that.

By the 2nd round of the playoffs, there are no easy matchups left - every team you face at this point has either put together a dominant season (usually 11 wins or more) or they have already won a playoff game against a team with a better record. Every team still on the board is dangerous now. If you want to be the champions you have to think like the champions, and Green Bay needs to go into this game confident that they are in command of the situation. If they do that, they should control this game.... and if they can't do that, then maybe Aikman was right and they weren't as good as we thought.

But I don't think that's the case. I think Green Bay is the best team in the NFL this year, and I think they're going to make that statement loud and clear Saturday night.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just an FYI. "Coach Matt LaFleur said the day off was planned and nothing to be concerned about, calling it part of “load management” for Bakhtiari as he works his way back from a significant injury."

Should be good to go barring any setbacks.

As I mentioned in another thread I hear MLF saying that but I'm not convinced he was telling the truth.

Sounds as if that was planned scheduled rest.

Hopefully you're right about it.

The Packers contained their run game in September, and Garopollo did what he could to win the game - he gave them the lead with 37 seconds left. The fact that Crosby kicked a last second FG was out of his control.

You're right that Garoppolo played reasonably well vs. the Packers in week 3. I don't believe he will be able to carry them on Saturday though, especially considering he has an injured thumb and shoulder.

I don't expect us to come close to repeating our performance against them last time this time - Deebo's roll in the backfield attack has changed a ton since then and we all need to remember they were on their third/fourth best RBs that game - Elijah Mitchell has been a BEAST for them when healthy of late - outperforming any other back I believe during the last ten weeks of the season or close to it if I read right.

You're right about Mitchell being a huge factor since the Niners' bye week. He ranks second in rushing yards per game since week 7 of the season among running backs who have played in at least four games since.

Yeah Pike you're right. It makes no sense to start throwing when the Packers have what I believe to be a clear advantage in the run game.

I don't beleive the Packers have an advantage in the run game. Actually the Niners enter the game with better stats acroos the board in that area.

So...this is not good.

The Packers don't have to report on the practice status of players currently not on the active roster. That doesn't mean they haven't been able to participate.

Good thing we had Mason and not some nervous rookie UDFA. :tup:

Most likely Crosby's best play all season long.

With Bak and Jaire et al coming back, the roster gets a little tougher to make. Not having room for Keke could be seen as an encouragiung sign, and may motivate other middle-of-the-road players to step up their game.

It's all but guaranteed the Packers released Keke because of an off field issue and not because they felt confident about another player adequately replacing him on the field.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
But I don't think that's the case. I think Green Bay is the best team in the NFL this year, and I think they're going to make that statement loud and clear Saturday night.
It would be so nice to just watch a feel good win. Just a dominating performance. I heard on this morning the Packers are favored by 6 now. That is quite the line. I'm surprised by that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hopefully you're right about it.
Honestly, if Bahk can't go, I am fine with Yosh playing LT, since he has been playing pretty well all season and a pleasant surprise.
Most likely Crosby's best play all season long.
I actually think the one he made in Cincy in OT was better. After a day of misses, I doubt many thought he would make that 49 yarder to win the game. He also had a kick not to long ago, where if you watch him carefully, he had to adjust to a bad snap/hold, yet he still got the kick off and it was good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, if Bahk can't go, I am fine with Yosh playing LT, since he has been playing pretty well all season and a pleasant surprise.

I actually think the one he made in Cincy in OT was better. After a day of misses, I doubt many thought he would make that 49 yarder to win the game. He also had a kick not to long ago, where if you watch him carefully, he had to adjust to a bad snap/hold, yet he still got the kick off and it was good.

I'm not fine with Yosh there. Bakh there opens up our offense more than if Yosh is there. I'm a massive fan of what Yosh has done this year but Bakh is just another level that Yosh is years from even if he became our LT for good - less rubs and assistance needs sent Bakh's way and I bet we see our run blocking enhanced if we have Myers and Bakh in there.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not fine with Yosh there. Bakh there opens up our offense more than if Yosh is there. I'm a massive fan of what Yosh has done this year but Bakh is just another level that Yosh is years from even if he became our LT for good - less rubs and assistance needs sent Bakh's way and I bet we see our run blocking enhanced if we have Myers and Bakh in there.
Agree! I really like how Nijman has stepped up and done a decent job at LT... but there's a reason why Bakhtiari is making $23Mil/yr, he neutralizes the outside rush on that side.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I would much rather have a 100% or even maybe 80% Bahk at LT, but if he can't make it, I'm not going to be that concerned with Yosh in there. Now if you told me they were bringing Cole Van Lanen up from the PS to play LT, I would be very concerned.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I would much rather have a 100% or even maybe 80% Bahk at LT, but if he can't make it, I'm not going to be that concerned with Yosh in there. Now if you told me they were bringing Cole Van Lanen up from the PS to play LT, I would be very concerned.
Pretty sure Kelly would stay at RT and Turner would get 1st dibs on LT, assuming he's ready to roll, if Bak & Nijman can't go. Let's not panic the masses with talk of Cole starting. ;)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure Kelly would stay at RT and Turner would get 1st dibs on LT, assuming he's ready to roll, if Bak & Nijman can't go. Let's not panic the masses with talk of Cole starting. ;)
Man, I hope Turner does not go to L tackle. That was a disaster last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pretty sure Kelly would stay at RT and Turner would get 1st dibs on LT, assuming he's ready to roll, if Bak & Nijman can't go. Let's not panic the masses with talk of Cole starting.

Basically, as far our offense goes, the OL concerns me the least at this point, with or without Bahk. This team went 13-4 with so many different moving parts on the OL and for the most part, looked pretty good all year. They only gave up 1 sack against the 9'ers. Having Myers and Turner back, is a plus too. I am more concerned about what we do in the red zone and special teams. The last game against the 9'ers we gave up a 68 yard kick return.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Presently have 52 on roster - Cobb is clearly going to be elevated meaning Winfree most likely is going to be released for room.

If Zadarius and Mercilus play as MLF seemed to say - we need to still drop one more as only Keke's vacated spot remains. I'd suspect Jake Hanson gets the drop/release.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Presently have 52 on roster - Cobb is clearly going to be elevated meaning Winfree most likely is going to be released for room.
Depending on MVS's status, he didn't practice yesterday (after practicing on Tuesday), they might send Amari Rodgers to the PS and keep Winfree active. Probably would come down to who is more valuable on Special teams. If both Cobb and MVS can go, then I see both Amari and Winfree being moved to the PS.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on MVS's status, he didn't practice yesterday (after practicing on Tuesday), they might send Amari Rodgers to the PS and keep Winfree active. Probably would come down to who is more valuable on Special teams. If both Cobb and MVS can go, then I see both Amari and Winfree being moved to the PS.
I don't think players can slide from the active 53 to the PS without hitting waivers, first. Will another team claim Amari Rodgers before GB can get him onto PS? I think he'd be gone. The same risk is there for attempting to drop-down Galeai or Garvin to make room for Mercilus or Z.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ZERO chance Amari is released on waivers as he would for sure be claimed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
ZERO chance Amari is released on waivers as he would for sure be claimed.
I stand corrected, I was thinking you could put a player on the PS, without said player having to clear waivers. I guess they need to get a positive Covid test from Amari. :coffee:

Since they still have to carry him on the 53, I would say he will be inactive on Saturday.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stand corrected, I was thinking you could put a player on the PS, without said player having to clear waivers. I guess they need to get a positive Covid test from Amari. :coffee:

Since they still have to carry him on the 53, I would say he will be inactive on Saturday.

Honestly I'd love it if the league did something similar to baseball with minor league options per year...maybe allow a team to designate 2-4 players before the season that could have maybe 2 or 3 moves such as this without waivers....I doubt the players union ever would go for that because waivers often times is what keeps guys on active rosters rather than cut with risk of losing AND it offers a better chance for a guy on waivers to go to an active roster elsewhere.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly I'd love it if the league did something similar to baseball with minor league options per year...maybe allow a team to designate 2-4 players before the season that could have maybe 2 or 3 moves such as this without waivers....I doubt the players union ever would go for that because waivers often times is what keeps guys on active rosters rather than cut with risk of losing AND it offers a better chance for a guy on waivers to go to an active roster elsewhere.
Agreed. I really like the new PS and IR rules and hope that they become permanent changes. I kind of get both sides of a "debate" on what you and I are referring to as the ability to slide a limited number of players back and forth from the PS, without risking a waiver claim. The "yes" part of me doesn't like seeing the Packers potentially lose young talent like Garvin, but the "no" side to me says "its a league parity thing to try to keep the 32 teams somewhat balanced in talent." The Packers signed Rasul Douglas from the Cards PS and hit a gold mine. They made that move due to putting Jaire on IR. Now that Jaire is ready to be back on the 53, the Packers are forced to make room for him by cutting a player. It won't be Rasul, but it might be someone that betters another team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I really like the new PS and IR rules and hope that they become permanent changes. I kind of get both sides of a "debate" on what you and I are referring to as the ability to slide a limited number of players back and forth from the PS, without risking a waiver claim. The "yes" part of me doesn't like seeing the Packers potentially lose young talent like Garvin, but the "no" side to me says "its a league parity thing to try to keep the 32 teams somewhat balanced in talent." The Packers signed Rasul Douglas from the Cards PS and hit a gold mine. They made that move due to putting Jaire on IR. Now that Jaire is ready to be back on the 53, the Packers are forced to make room for him by cutting a player. It won't be Rasul, but it might be someone that betters another team.

My proposal would be drafted rookie players can in their first year only do it - teams are rewarded for picking the player for a year, develop and figure out what they have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My proposal would be drafted rookie players can in their first year only do it - teams are rewarded for picking the player for a year, develop and figure out what they have.
I think that is a good compromise for sure. With Amari Rodgers being the poster boy for the reason why. We all know that he really isn't ready for the NFL, yet if exposed to the waiver wire, he is probably gone. Obviously, you would also have to decide if that rule allows a rookie to be placed directly on the PS at the beginning of the season or just once he is officially a member of the 53 and then slid over to the PS at some point after the 53 is declared.

A guy like Taysom Hill might still be with the Packers if they could have stashed him on their PS right away, instead of having to expose him to the waiver wire.

Side note, makes sense that if they were having issues with Keke that weren't getting resolved, they cut him, they needed the roster space. Guessing there might be a few teams inquiring what the issues were. I doubt they do, but the Packers could put him back on the PS if nobody claims him.

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree! I really like how Nijman has stepped up and done a decent job at LT... but there's a reason why Bakhtiari is making $23Mil/yr, he neutralizes the outside rush on that side.
well hopefully Bakh has full practice today.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is a good compromise for sure. With Amari Rodgers being the poster boy for the reason why. We all know that he really isn't ready for the NFL, yet if exposed to the waiver wire, he is probably gone. Obviously, you would also have to decide if that rule allows a rookie to be placed directly on the PS at the beginning of the season or just once he is officially a member of the 53 and then slid over to the PS at some point after the 53 is declared.

A guy like Taysom Hill might still be with the Packers if they could have stashed him on their PS right away, instead of having to expose him to the waiver wire.
Taysom Hill was undrafted. The reason that the league/player union won't agree to such an arrangement is for the Taysom Hill example... GB was hoping to slide him onto the PS where he would've only made $7,200/game ($122,400/yr). Instead he was on NO's 53 where he made $38,400/game ($615k/yr). Any agreement would come with a hefty price tag to boost the overall earnings by the lower-end players.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked his response also. It gave a glimpse into their preparation last week. Matts response eluded to the concept that our staff likely spent several days studying film of the 4 remaining NFC teams we could face during the bye week.

That early preparation and the ability for us to start breaking down SF game film almost before the game ended Sunday? What a great edge to have while our opponent is focusing on traveling back across country.

I’m much more comfortable with this coaching staff preparing for rhe 49ers than I would be on the SF side of things.
You point out one of the advantages of having that bye - more prep time, and rest, and avoiding the hassle and drain of travel (even for professionals on chartered jets).

All of that should add up to a Packer win this week. The other good news - MLF will not allow his guys to look past the dangerous Niners.

Members online

Latest posts