Dez Bryant signed by the Saints

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BR has reported that Dez won't sign until after the Draft. I'm guessing he still desires being a number 1 option.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean I get his point, he doesn't want to sign and then be competing for the No. 2 or No. 3 position on the depth chart. Like say he goes to the Bills and then they still drafted Calvin Ridley, just about any player in his position would feel slighted.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At first glance I viewed this as kind of a stupid plan on Dez's part, more players (rookies) on every team, bringing demand for FA's down. However, given that the draft class isn't really chalked full of sure fire starters at WR, he is banking on teams that have interest in him, not finding someone better and thus willing to sign him.

Now a low end FA CB that is still out on the market, he could very well be forgotten about by teams needing CB's and end up drafting one or two.

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboys basically screwed him in terms of negotiating a decent contract prior to the draft. At this stage teams are busy with draft preparation so it makes sense that he is waiting until after the draft.

There are still plenty of teams Dez would be the #1 WR on. But I think he is still holding out for an NFC East team.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted, I would like him to come to us for a decent price, he needs to give up this NFC East bit. The Redskins and Giants will be the only suitors, and what good will it do you to play the Cowboys and lose to them twice in a season plus miss the playoffs?

He'd be better off just finding a team on their schedule(which obviously isn't us), or a team that pretty much assures him a shot at the postseason(which obviously is us). The best way to stick it to the Cowboys is go to a team where you take off statistically and win a ring. I hope someone in his camp is the voice of reason.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Granted, I would like him to come to us for a decent price, he needs to give up this NFC East but. The Redskins and Giants will be the only suitors, and what good will it do you to play the Cowboys and lose to them twice in a season plus miss the playoffs?

He'd be better off just finding a team on their schedule(which obviously isn't us), or a team that pretty much assures him a shot at the postseason(which obviously is us). The best way to stick it to the Cowboys is go to a team where you take off statistically and win a ring. I hope someone in his camp is the voice of reason.

You hit it with the last half of your statement. Prove yourself on the field, no matter who the opponent is. I mean I get it, Bryant has an axe to grind with Dallas, but what better way to show they made a mistake than to put up some big numbers with any team. I don't know, if I am a WR, I figure my chances of doing that are a lot higher with AR than with Eli Manning or Alex Smith.

I would be a bit leary of wanting to sign a guy who only has revenge on his mind. What happens when that revenge isn't gained?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Martellus Bennett

Then when he's cut midseason we sign him for the vet minimum in time for the playoffs.
To give him a second chance at revenge? Pass. :) If Bryant signs with someone and performs so poorly or is a big enough distraction that he gets cut mid-season, I think he will be heading to CBS or FOX looking for a job.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bryant signs with someone and performs so poorly or is a big enough distraction that he gets cut mid-season, I think he will be heading to CBS or FOX looking for a job.

Then let me put my resume in first, no way he's good at commentating. Joe Buck would be so relieved if they hired him.

This is good and bad. That means only the Bills, Cardinals, and us are interested at this point. I'm curious on the money though on the 1 year deal. Hopefully that gets leaked out as well. I'm definitely down for a prove it deal.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly, but nothing's been leaked as to who those teams may be. But I'm certain that number will shrink after the Draft regardless. This news alone may shrink the number as well; if Bryant has a great year he'll be a UFA all over again looking for the highest bidder, which may not necessarily be the team that signs him this offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Possibly, but nothing's been leaked as to who those teams may be. But I'm certain that number will shrink after the Draft regardless. This news alone may shrink the number as well; if Bryant has a great year he'll be a UFA all over again looking for the highest bidder, which may not necessarily be the team that signs him this offseason.

Sounds like a future New England Patriot! BB loves those kinds of guys and he gets a comp pick out of the deal when Bryant walks at the end of 2018.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I understand, Bryant rejected the Ravens' offer because it was multiyear. He wants a 1-year offer to prove himself, then he plans on going back out on the market.

If the Packers don't draft a starting WR, it may be worth signing Dez for a year and then saying bye-bye. That's what Bryant himself wants.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I understand, Bryant rejected the Ravens' offer because it was multiyear. He wants a 1-year offer to prove himself, then he plans on going back out on the market.

If the Packers don't draft a starting WR, it may be worth signing Dez for a year and then saying bye-bye. That's what Bryant himself wants.

Dez wanting a prove it deal could be good for the Packers. He would have the incentive of catching passes from one of the best QBs in the league and he may settle for a bit less cash to do so. Obviously the Patriots would be another option and signing him certainly seems like a BB move. We pretty much know it wouldn't be a TT move but who knows about BG. Another feather in the Packers cap is that we know the cowboys aren't going to the SB so if he signed with the Patriots there would be no revenge game this year. If he signed with the Packers there is a slight chance the two team might meet in the playoffs. Wouldn't that be ironic. Bryant at Lambeau Field MAKING a catch to knock the cowboys out of the playoffs once again.

It would be kind of funny to see him go to the Raiders with Jordy Nelson.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be a bit leary of wanting to sign a guy who only has revenge on his mind. What happens when that revenge isn't gained?

On the other hand what happens once he gets that revenge??? Might result in an unmotivated player for the rest of the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I think the Packers will pursue Bryant, especially now that they dropped 3 draft picks on WR's, but this statement coming from Tony Romo, who I like as an announcer, carries some weight with me on Dez as a teammate. Romo could easily have just kept his mouth shut, if he felt Dez wasn't a good teammate.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ony-romo-dez-bryant-wont-hurt-the-locker-room

Drafting 3 WRs should have little to no effect on whether they pursue Dez. It's not like these are high round guys we drafted. Nobody should bat an eye if the only on that makes the final 53 is Moore.

I'm not advocating for Dez but just like Dupre and Yancey last year people need to remember that it's more likely these guys spend the year on the PS versus them making the final roster much less them being contributors this season

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Never know, maybe they will sign a FA WR, but I was basing my prediction on what they did last year at RB. They definitely had a need, went out and drafted 3 mid to late round RB's and sat pat with them and Monty.

Will they choose to sit pat with Adams, Cobb, Allison, 3 rookies, Clark and Davis? I guess some of that might depend on how ready Allison is to see a lot of playing time.

Also, just for the record, I would be in favor of signing a FA WR. Much like they did with House at the CB position, veteran competition and depth isn't a bad thing IMO.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never know, maybe they will sign a FA WR, but I was basing my prediction on what they did last year at RB. They definitely had a need, went out and drafted 3 mid to late round RB's and sat pat with them and Monty.

Will they choose to sit pat with Adams, Cobb, Allison, 3 rookies, Clark and Davis? I guess some of that might depend on how ready Allison is to see a lot of playing time.

Also, just for the record, I would be in favor of signing a FA WR. Much like they did with House at the CB position, veteran competition and depth isn't a bad thing IMO.

I mean they also drafted two mid to late round WRs last year also and niether made the roster. The only difference is they added an extra late round WR this year. Not sure why that kind of "extra" investment would warrant more optimism

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I mean they also drafted two mid to late round WRs last year also and niether made the roster. The only difference is they added an extra late round WR this year. Not sure why that kind of "extra" investment would warrant more optimism

Valid point and toss in UDFA McCaffrey that many of us were excited about. Dupre seemed like a bargain 7th rounder, who just was a product of a bad QB, much like EQ Brown and Dupre was cut. Yancey, wasn't as exciting as Moore and probably won't even make the roster this year.

Way to kill my optimism with reality! :(

Optimistic, realistic or not....I do feel better about these 3 rookies than I did about Yancey and Dupre. All that being said, I will repeat what I said earlier, I would like to see the Packers still sign a vet FA WR, I just don't think Dez is high on their list.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would have the incentive of catching passes from one of the best QBs in the league and he may settle for a bit less cash to do so. Obviously the Patriots would be another option and signing him certainly seems like a BB move. .
With all the weirdness going on in New England right now, I'm not sure Belichick would pick up a star WR that would make Brady look good.