Dez Bryant signed by the Saints

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it would be a wash with losing Jeff Janis to Free agency? :cautious:

It would be an upgrade, but probably not for the price or the baggage...IMO.

Just a flat out no to replacing Randall Cobb with Ty Montegomery in the slot while not fixing WR2. Cobb is not a boundary guy and we are paying entirely too much for him to be used wrong.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it would be a wash with losing Jeff Janis to Free agency? :cautious:

It would be an upgrade, but probably not for the price or the baggage...IMO.

Were you reading what he was responding to? He disagreed with my notion to move Montgomery back to WR which has nothing to do with price because he's already on the team and it wouldn't require any contract renegotiations ... at the moment.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a flat out no to replacing Randall Cobb with Ty Montegomery in the slot while not fixing WR2. Cobb is not a boundary guy and we are paying entirely too much for him to be used wrong.

Thing is you can always motion Cobb into the slot or inside of Graham or something and if you got Montgomery in there that's extra speed. Point is Montgomery coming back to WR instantly upgrades it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is why Montgomery is coming out of the backfield.

Good, keep him permanently out of the backfield and in the slot so he spends zero time on the IR, and maybe if Cobb needs to be bumped back in the slot then move GMO outside and put Trevor Davis at CB since he's a dud WR.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
A little off topic, but I am positive that the worst play in NFL playbook history is that “kick” the Colts pulled on the Patriots a few years back. And #2 is when we give Cobb the ball from the backfield. Cobb is very expendable and I do not expect to see him get a new contract unless he agrees to close to veteran minimum. Montgomery will easily fill that “void.”

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good, keep him permanently out of the backfield and in the slot so he spends zero time on the IR, and maybe if Cobb needs to be bumped back in the slot then move GMO outside and put Trevor Davis at CB since he's a dud WR.

He missed 2/3rds of a season because of an ankle injury that came from being a WR....being a running back isnt what is taking him out of the game.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little off topic, but I am positive that the worst play in NFL playbook history is that “kick” the Colts pulled on the Patriots a few years back. And #2 is when we give Cobb the ball from the backfield. Cobb is very expendable and I do not expect to see him get a new contract unless he agrees to close to veteran minimum. Montgomery will easily fill that “void.”

That is what happens when McCarthy masterminds ways to get Cobb the ball while using Jordy in the slot.

As far as Montgomery easily filling Cobbs role in the slot, I think that is just a convenient argument people came up with after he caught his 30 yard td pass against st louis his rookie season. For sure we are going to have to fill Cobbs role with someone but I dont see that being Montgomery.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who needs Bryant anyway? Just stick Ty Montgomery back in the slot and our WR corps gets upgraded instantly and we can free up more space for Cobb to work with again. Montgomery must be moved back to WR because Rodgers will have a blanket WR to throw to there and Nelson's absence won't be hardly felt.
ty will definitely get some reps at positions other than rb, in different personnel packages, but it won't be many i don't believe.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is what happens when McCarthy masterminds ways to get Cobb the ball while using Jordy in the slot.
cobb in the backfield has largely failed because all he's ever done from that position is run the ball. predictable as hell. as a former qb they should let him throw the ball...if the guy is wide open lol.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As far as Montgomery easily filling Cobbs role in the slot, I think that is just a convenient argument people came up with after he caught his 30 yard td pass against st louis his rookie season. For sure we are going to have to fill Cobbs role with someone but I dont see that being Montgomery.

Which is not going to be the case now because Jordy is not here anymore, so Montgomery must be put at WR fulltime since Aaron Jones is our proven best RB and Jamal Williams behind him has no injury liabilities either, and therefore our backfield is over capacity if Montgomery stays in it. #MoveTyToWR

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No it's called a real evaluation of a player whose speed is better utilized in open space and should be run on slant routes and seams in the middle of the field. Montgomery certainly has a good size for RB, but he's more effective at his WR job than any of our other 3rd or 4th guys.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess I don't remember Monty being that special at WR to automatically pencil him in as a starter. He also has tried to reshape his body into that of a running back, so I don't know how that would alter his abilities if he was permanently switched back to a WR. I also don't think he is the answer to the other wideout position, maybe some slot work, which Cobb is fine at. It will be interesting to see how the Packers use him and if Jones and Williams keep improving, he may be fighting for a roster position as the 3rd RB. Also, his durability might be his biggest obstacle to overcome.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty wouldn't be the first kid to come into the league with all sorts of potential and for reasons NOT related to his work ethic or desire, he doesn't stick long. It's hard to gauge him. He was coming on as a WR and then got injured his rookie season and never really saw the field again until being put on IR. Then he's back at WR and after all the learning phases of TC are done he has to switch to RB and has a respecatable 1/2 season there, once he gets going. Then shoulder/rib/ankle injuries again, but he looked slower his 2nd season at RB. I was not impressed at all. But prior he looked fairly decent. He looked faster at least. He's a good kid, works hard, I hope he figures it out and stays healthy, but at this point, I'm not even sure what we'd call him. I had high hopes for him, still think he can do fine, if he can stay on the field. He has definite talent, but I can shake how slow and indecisive he looked last year when he did play. Didn't look the same to me.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersWire said:
According to the free-agent receiver, the Packers just don’t feel like a good fit after years of gut-punching losses to Green Bay.

“It wouldn’t seem right,” Bryant said to Mike Fisher of 247 Sports about joining the Packers in a recent interview. “Too much history.”

To be fair, Fisher said Bryant was “smiling” as he answered, so it’s possible Bryant doesn’t really care about all the times Aaron Rodgers ripped the heart right out of the Cowboys’ chest in recent years. He said money doesn’t matter and he wants to win, so the Packers would seem like a natural fit for a receiver suddenly hell-bent on proving everyone – but especially the Cowboys – wrong.

There you have it....we're out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dez not wanting to play here, doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. Let's just say the feeling is mutual, but not because of the history, but because he's a mediocre receiver with a big time mouth

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty wouldn't be the first kid to come into the league with all sorts of potential and for reasons NOT related to his work ethic or desire, he doesn't stick long. It's hard to gauge him. He was coming on as a WR and then got injured his rookie season and never really saw the field again until being put on IR. Then he's back at WR and after all the learning phases of TC are done he has to switch to RB and has a respecatable 1/2 season there, once he gets going. Then shoulder/rib/ankle injuries again, but he looked slower his 2nd season at RB. I was not impressed at all. But prior he looked fairly decent. He looked faster at least. He's a good kid, works hard, I hope he figures it out and stays healthy, but at this point, I'm not even sure what we'd call him. I had high hopes for him, still think he can do fine, if he can stay on the field. He has definite talent, but I can shake how slow and indecisive he looked last year when he did play. Didn't look the same to me.

Well, it would seem MM according to the last article I read isn't ready to give up on Ty yet, and I'd say if he's healthy and Aaron Jones is also tearing it up, he should see the field and do so as a WR. I really think if both he and Graham are on the field at the same time out in a 5 or 4 WR set, we'll have some favorable mismatches against defenses that Rodgers won't have to worry about firing through airtight windows as much. And certain posters can stop peddling fiction about WRs not being open.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I don't remember Monty being that special at WR to automatically pencil him in as a starter. He also has tried to reshape his body into that of a running back, so I don't know how that would alter his abilities if he was permanently switched back to a WR. I also don't think he is the answer to the other wideout position, maybe some slot work, which Cobb is fine at. It will be interesting to see how the Packers use him and if Jones and Williams keep improving, he may be fighting for a roster position as the 3rd RB. Also, his durability might be his biggest obstacle to overcome.

He was tearing it up at WR in 2015 before he got injured, and I actually put losing him at that spot that year as the reason our WR corps struggled beyond the midpoint over losing Jordy. I suspect what he's done is put on more weight to play RB, but give him another workout and that can be dropped pretty quick. That whole point about our RB position being at full capacity and Jones being more of our starter is why he should get put back at WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He was tearing it up at WR in 2015 before he got injured, and I actually put losing him at that spot that year as the reason our WR corps struggled beyond the midpoint over losing Jordy. I suspect what he's done is put on more weight to play RB, but give him another workout and that can be dropped pretty quick. That whole point about our RB position being at full capacity and Jones being more of our starter is why he should get put back at WR.

I don't know if I would call 15 catches for 136 yards and a 9 yds/catch average "tearing it up". However, I'm also not a big fan of Monty at RB, so putting him back at WR wouldn't be a bad thing, if nothing else for depth. But he still would have a long way to go, IMO, to beat out Allison to be #3 on the depth chart and see a lot of playing time.

Just based on what MM has said about Monty, I think they are all in with him being a RB, so I don't see the switch happening. However, I do think they can get a lot more creative with how they line him up and use him. I just don't like seeing him being handed the ball when the defense has 7 in the box.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the great Charles Woodson didn't like the fit either until he realized no one wanted him a$ much a$ we did.

Yes this is true, and funny thing is even though I'm not going to be broke up about it if Bryant didn't come here, I'd actually be more open to bringing him here than I would be Kaepernick or some dude like that. At the end of the day though, I can't imagine there isn't some team out there who's already making plans for him to come there. Just hopefully it isn't anyone else in our division.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He wasn't "tearing it up" and this pretty much sums up what I said earlier. You have concocted an argument in your head that he was really good based on the last you seen him at WR he was running down the seam for a 31 yard TD against the Rams. He has put on more weight over the offseason. That has been pretty well documented that he is preparing for more work at HB. I don't understand the whole "full capacity" argument? Most teams have several options at HB that do a variety of things. They want Montgomery in the backfield as a Danny Woodhead, Theo Rid****, Duke Johnson, James White, Darren Sproles.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't "tearing it up" and this pretty much sums up what I said earlier. You have concocted an argument in your head that he was really good based on the last you seen him at WR he was running down the seam for a 31 yard TD against the Rams. He has put on more weight over the offseason. That has been pretty well documented that he is preparing for more work at HB. I don't understand the whole "full capacity" argument? Most teams have several options at HB that do a variety of things. They want Montgomery in the backfield as a Danny Woodhead, Theo Rid****, Duke Johnson, James White, Darren Sproles.

FWIW, Bryant's career stats:

http://www.nfl.com/player/dezbryant/497278/careerstats

3 nice season from 2012 through 2014, but nothing that screams Canton-bound......

Members online

Latest posts