Dez Bryant signed by the Saints

D

Deleted member 6794

The Redskins, 49ers, and Jags have the most cap space by far. If they're not interested at any number he's definitely in play for us. I don't see Coughlin being interested at all and even if the Skins were interested they are far from playoff contenders, so it would be strictly a money move. 49ers might be interested though.

Washington has approximately the same amount of cap space like the Packers. I guess you wanted to mention the Browns as the team with most money currently available.

I expect at least one team to overpay for Bryant making it extremely unlikely the Packers will end up signing him. In addition the team should spend its remaining cap space on more pressing needs instead than adding a soon-to-be 30-year old receiver in decline.

I believe there are several WR's that will have an immediate impact year one and have a decent shot at developing into a #1 in few years.

I'm not convinced this year's receiver class features a single player that will have an immediate impact as a rookie.

Cobb and Graham had under 10 YPC last year. And McCarthy doesn't use RBs as receiving options. We literally have nothing guaranteed behind Adams, IMO.

Cobb did pretty well with Rodgers though having 30 receptions for 302 yards and two touchdowns in fove games with #12 starting. The Seahawks didn't use Graham in a perfect way.

I expect both to put up decent numbers but want Gutekunst to add another starting caliber receiver to line up opposite of Adams.

At this point who else is out there that is worth our leftover cap space? I think we should go all in rather than wasting the cap space.

It has been mentioned repeatedly by several posters that the Packers don't have a ton of cap space to spend.

Packers will use the remaining cap space on the draft class and probably Rodgers new contract.

I don't expect Rodgers cap hit for this season to increase.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
It looks like Dez wants to go on a FU tour against the Cowboys. If he has the chance he will stay in the NFC East. If he doesn’t get offers from any of those teams he will next try and stay in the NFC. The cowboys are paying him out 8 million this year. If we can get him at something along the lines of a two year contract for 10 million? That’s 3 million against the cap this year (so he is paid 11 million this year) and 7 million next year I would take that deal all day. Anything more isn’t feasible or worth it IMO.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who else they got at the position? I thought it was unheard of to release somebody without his replacement already in place and well groomed.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Sounds pretty bad but honestly this info needs more context.
Okay, 9.5% of the Cowboys Salary cap is taken up by two players who are no longer on the team. One, who hasn't been on the team since the end of 2016 and who last started a game November 26, 2015. Played one series in one game in 2016.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a little thing called the draft.

I believe there are several WR's that will have an immediate impact year one and have a decent shot at developing into a #1 in few years. DJ Chark, Ridley, Sutton to name a few This class is slim at the WR position at the elite level but there are many solid #2 types available that could hold their own opposite side.
Imagine DJ Chark, Graham, Cobb, Montgomery (out of the backfield) and Davante on the field at the same with #12 cutting them up, which is entirely possible. Somebody in that group is going to be a complete mismatch for the D coverage team. I think we're primed for someone with speed to enter into the picture (Chark is just an example)

This draft is extremely slim at the WR position as far as impact players. I'm not saying mocks are to be taken seriously, but do a mock draft and reach for an impact WR (because that's exactly what you'll have to do) and then see how that hurts the rest of your draft. Outside of someone just sliding into the 3rd or 4th Round(since we have the first pick in the 4th), you're going to cost yourself big at a position that we could use a more impactful player such as CB and Edge. I'm sure Gute will draft someone, but that player most definitely will be a developmental prospect.

The only exception to this rule is Antonio Callaway; I can see him being available in the 4th and 5th Rounds, but I can almost guarantee the Packers aren't interested.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But why can't WE overpay him? He's got to come cheaper than Watkins and Robinson if you ask me....we restructure CM3 and Cobb, and we ink him up. This is a Super Bowl or Bust type of deal. Nobody will care how much we spent it we got a ring because it was worth it.

What if Cobb and CM3 say no to restructuring? Are you willing to cut them to make room for Bryant? People throw the term "restructure" around like it that simple. Its a two way street and the Packers can't unilaterally decide to do it.

The Browns have Jeff Janis...They don't need Dez. Oh yeah, and they have Landry, Gordon and Coleman as well. Actually with Gordon's past and Coleman's uncertainty it would not be a bad fit.

Still, this has a Bill Bellichick signing written all over it if you ask me and its probably going to be so cheap we will say "We could have done that."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't see a really good fit for Dez in the NFC East. Eagles would have to cut/restructure to find the cap space. Redskins are pretty well set with Doctson, Richardson and Crowder. Giants have Beckham, Marshall and Sheppard.

Now if he wants to stay in the NFC..."Hello Rams!" I hear they are building a potential Super Bowl team out there!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Cobb and CM3 say no to restructuring? Are you willing to cut them to make room for Bryant? People throw the term "restructure" around like it that simple. Its a two way street and the Packers can't unilaterally decide to do it.

."
and the answer to that is a resounding, "No ****ing Way!" Dez Bryant at this stage isn't even worth cutting one of those guys let alone both and it shouldn't even be a consideration.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a little thing called the draft.
i clicked the "informative" button in your post. lol
Ridley's the only wr that would be a starter out of the box and an immediate upgrade for the O and over allison (who as meh as he is, at least has experience and knows the O {or what's left of it as it's reportedly being overhauled}). almost no one thinks they'll do what's necessary (if anything) to take Ridley (as the D hasn't improved at all over the offseason). i don't expect them to go get dez either but he would make the O better...especially a highly motivated dez...and getting better is the whole point.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point who else is out there that is worth our leftover cap space? I think we should go all in rather than wasting the cap space.
Even if all they do is carry that cap space till the end of the year and then use it to bump up Rodgers's salary for the year as a part of an extension, it will be infinitely more productive use of that space than wasting it on a declining blowhard who's best days are behind him and were still probably more hype than good.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i clicked the "informative" button in your post. lol
Ridley's the only wr that would be a starter out of the box and an immediate upgrade for the O and over allison (who as meh as he is, at least has experience and knows the O {or what's left of it as it's reportedly being overhauled}). almost no one thinks they'll do what's necessary (if anything) to take Ridley (as the D hasn't improved at all over the offseason). i don't expect them to go get dez either but he'd make the O better...especially a highly motivated dez...and getting better is the whole point.
I think both DJ Moore and Chark boy will also help as rookies in the field stretching arena. But you are right, the only one piling up significant stats would be Ridley.

Statistically, Dez was not much last season. Side by side analysis on NFLN showed Dez last season compared to 4 years ago. It was surprisingly obvious in his route running. He lost explosion and quickness and is now easy for DBs to cover was their conclusion.

He is taking this very seriously personal, so can working out harder get him back to old Dez? I don't know. The contrary view is that the Romo offense used Dez's strengths and Dak cant make the same passes as Romo. Thereby putting Dez in routes not suited to his strengths. Not sure I believe that. The thing I do like about him is his competitive spirit. I would actually kick the tires and see if I could get him on a cheap deal with lots of incentives.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

The Browns have Jeff Janis...They don't need Dez. Oh yeah, and they have Landry, Gordon and Coleman as well. Actually with Gordon's past and Coleman's uncertainty it would not be a bad fit.

Still, this has a Bill Bellichick signing written all over it if you ask me and its probably going to be so cheap we will say "We could have done that."
browns have most cap and that was my initial gut reaction

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need a wr with speed who can open up the field. Dez is not that guy. Adams is a similar wr to Dez and plays with a chip on his shoulder. No thanks.

IMO Bryant is a crybaby too. I think he could be a distraction by complaining about how many times he is thrown the ball. Just don't like him.

Reaction score
I'm not convinced this year's receiver class features a single player that will have an immediate impact as a rookie.
We probably just have completely different definitions of "impact". Because to say ZERO Wideouts from the 2018 draft will have a rookie impact is a reach. No team is going to pick a WR in the first round just to wait a couple of years to see their impact

I'm sure Gute will draft someone, but that player most definitely will be a developmental prospect.
I'm in agreement that I don't really want to use a draft pick round 1 or 2 necessarily (because I'm hoping a Defender slips some) but if players like Courtland Sutton, Calvin Ridley or DJ Chark are sitting there at #45? There's a very good chance I'm changing my mind and going WR (unless we grab a decent FA WR to buy us some time).

While we need defenders, we can't continue to ignore this Offence any more. I wouldn't be surprised at all if GB goes Offence round 2 and it might even be at TE or OG

https://withthefirstpick.com/2018/0...vers-could-be-available-in-the-middle-rounds/

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probably just have completely different definitions of "impact". Because to say ZERO Wideouts from the 2018 draft will have a rookie impact is a reach.

I'm in agreement that I don't really want to use a draft pick round 1 or 2 necessarily (because I'm hoping a Defender slips some) but if players like Courtland Sutton, Calvin Ridley or DJ Chark are sitting there at #45? There's a very good chance I'm changing my mind and going WR (unless we grab a decent FA WR to buy us some time).

While we need defenders, we can't continue to ignore this Offense any more. I wouldn't be surprised at all if GB goes Offence round 2

https://withthefirstpick.com/2018/0...vers-could-be-available-in-the-middle-rounds/
Ridley will go in the top 25, probably around 16 -20. Chark is only value at our pick in the 3rd. Sutton is a chance in the 2nd. I'm pulling for DJ Moore though in the 2nd. There are a few others in the 3rd and one should be there - Hamilton, Gallup, Washington, . . . .

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
(unless we grab a decent FA WR to buy us some time).

Unless it is Dez Bryant or someone else is released, the market for a "decent" FA WR has pretty well dried up. As I said in my previous post, I think the Packers tipped their hand by going after Robinson, Watkins and Jordan Mathews, in that they have a perceived need at the position. Given that, I don't see them not using one of their first 3 picks on a WR.

Reaction score
Unless it is Dez Bryant or someone else is released, the market for a "decent" FA WR has pretty well dried up. As I said in my previous post, I think the Packers tipped their hand by going after Robinson, Watkins and Jordan Mathews, in that they have a perceived need at the position. Given that, I don't see them not using one of their first 3 picks on a WR.
good point on the market and likely we will be aggressive in a trade to down the board round 2 or 3

Reaction score
Ridley will go in the top 25, probably around 16 -20. Chark is only value at our pick in the 3rd. Sutton is a chance in the 2nd. I'm pulling for DJ Moore though in the 2nd. There are a few others in the 3rd and one should be there - Hamilton, Gallup, Washington, . . . .
You're right, I'm getting my DJ's mixed up

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probably just have completely different definitions of "impact". Because to say ZERO Wideouts from the 2018 draft will have a rookie impact is a reach.

While we need defenders, we can't continue to ignore this Offence any more. I wouldn't be surprised at all if GB goes Offence round 2 and it might even be at TE or OG

WRs are notoriously difficult to evaluate. Ridley is the only WR with big upside that I believe will definitely make the transition. Christian Kirk is another who should, but he's more of a Randall Cobb than someone defenses truly have to sweat about. I'm 50/50 on Sutton, as he could be the Juju of this class, or could be Laquon Treadwell. I'm leaning more toward the former, but it's a risk with any WR.

I believe that Ron Wolf's philosophy was to pass on WRs in the first round because they had so much bust potential, and that the safer prospects usually were available in the second round .

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe this is a good time to ask #12 what he thinks about having Dez as a WR and if he would be onboard with restructuring his contract to include some "Dez money"? :coffee:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a really good fit for Dez in the NFC East. Eagles would have to cut/restructure to find the cap space. Redskins are pretty well set with Doctson, Richardson and Crowder. Giants have Beckham, Marshall and Sheppard.

Now if he wants to stay in the NFC..."Hello Rams!" I hear they are building a potential Super Bowl team out there!
If Goff can improve his game and be a good qb they are gonna be extremely tough to beat

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Moore is gonna be one of the surprise picks in the first round for somebody

Members online

Latest posts