1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Desmond Bishop....

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by bozz_2006, May 13, 2014.

1. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    That there's been nary a peep about him ain't a good sign, that's for sure.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +396
    It was a pretty significant hamstring injury as well. He ripped it.

3. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +396

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    bite me

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    bahahahaha

6. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    Back when he orginially tore the hammy someone linked to an article about players with similar injuries and the success rate at coming back. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was pretty Grim. Like 2 in 10 were able to play anything more than a few games ever again.

I'm guessing his career is pretty much over. Bummer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,057
    Pre-injury Bishop would be welcomed. He wasn't the same after the hamstring surgery as evidenced by the fact that he couldn't even start for a terrible Vikings defense before tearing his ACL. It's sad, but a promising career seems to be over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,487
    He was a big re-injury risk before tearing the ACL in Minnesota. If someone were to ask me, I'd say that the ACL was a result of the hamstring injury because he was compensating in some way. I don't think that hamstring is fully back and now he's got a bum knee. If it was only the ACL I'd sign him just to see, but no way with both injuries. His legs are gone and I hope that he saved enough money to be comfortable for the rest of his life away from football. I really liked the kid and thought he deserved a shot much sooner than he did.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    As much as I'd love to see him back, I'd rather take my chances on a UFA that can become a potential role player this year and possibly a future starter... Bishop is basically standing on his last leg of his career, both figuratively and literally!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    If Des has now had 2 ACLs I'd stay away. I liked him when he was healthy as a viable option, and I had heard that at the time he did the first one with GB AJ had to show up or was running the risk of being cut. At the very least not only did Des do a great job, but he made AJ better.

11. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,267
    If you buy an item new and it breaks down you get understandable pissed. So you`d buy a damaged item from a store knowing its likely to break down and you`d be happy with that ???? Bishop was a good player, but I think the idea of signing damaged players doesn`t seem a good idea to me. I asked the guys to cut you some slack the other day mate but Jeezus !! you do seem to enjoy being argumentative :whistling:

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  12. Dylan Hoppe

Dylan Hoppe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +70
    But that is a lot of the point in the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. BMatt

BMatt Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    I'd take a flyer on Bishop at this point given his inability to stay healthy. It's a young man's league, I'd much rather use that roster spot on someone else.

14. gbpowner

gbpowner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683249-what-does-desmond-bishop-bring-to-the-vikings

"A June 2013 study from the American Journal of Orthopedicslooked at 10 confirmed cases of ruptured hamstrings in the NFL from 1990 to 2008.

While nine of the 10 players in the study returned to play the next season, only five of the 10 played more than one game following the injury.

In addition, two of the 10 players returned and had major injuries occur to the same leg. One suffered a torn Achilles tendon and another re-ruptured the same hamstring (the player was a linebacker). On this note, it is worth noting that Bishop has already been dealing with a strain in the same hamstring he injured in August."

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    Remember when Bishop blasted Tom Brady in New England.
    Or when he hit Tony G so hard, the dude had to leave during the annihilation in Atlanta.
    The Game saving/Superbowl season saving shoe string tackle against the Eagles.

Sucks that his career is basically over, he only had two seasons as the starter, but man... He was awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Joe Nor Cal Packer

Joe Nor Cal Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +96
    The thing I don't get is why someone hasn't already picked him up. Is there more to his health/injury that we just don't know? Just seems like there has to be more here than we know or GB would have picked him up by now. As you point out he would very likely be affordable.

17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,832
    There´s no rush to sign a player being only seven months removed from a torn ACL in late May. It´s possible a team will take a gamble on him before training camp, but I don´t see him being productive anymore.

18. Einstein McFly

Einstein McFly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +236
    Yeah, that's a logical argument. Bishop's injuries are a lot more likely to recur and slow him down than CM3's thumb or Rodgers' collar bone (which supposedly gets stronger once the injury heals because the bone "grows together from both sides" or some such thing). People always seem to remember a player's best moments and then picture them doing that every play if only we'd sign them.

We probably won't sign bishop, and that's really probably the best move. He's getting old and the Packers' MO is to get a young and healthy person in camp rather than waste time on some vet who's just going to get hurt again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,832
    Interesting, the Cardinals have signed Desmond Bishop.

20. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Desperation move

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    Roll of the dice... hopefully they can see if he's got anything left before another injury. Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a 2 week tryout and then he's gone. Good luck Des, hanging on for another year.

22. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    The Bishop ship has sailed. He used to be a solid, rock-steady contributor but he is not anymore. The poor guy suffered some serious injuries and there is just no way he still possesses the explosiveness his game was once predicated on. The whole "injury prone" label is a tough one and a slippery slope at best. Did he used to be a durable guy who showed up and played week in week out? Yes. Does he seem injury prone now and past his prime? Yes. You can label it whatever you want be it injury prone, snake bitten or just simply unlucky. Fact of the matter is he has gone from a rock to a 250 lb question mark. I loved the guy like we all did but there comes a time when you have to simply chalk it up to "what could have been." Look, I am not exactly thrilled about our MLB core but I don't think a guy like DB would do anything substantial to upgrade said position. I am hoping guys like Barrington or even Thomas can step in at some point and give us a spark that is desperately needed. I sincerely wish my statements above regarding Dez were wrong but I am afraid they are not. I would love nothing more than seeing 55 smoke some fool coming across the middle but as I mentioned above, SS Bishop has been decommissioned...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Nerdmann

Nerdmann Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Can't cover. We already have a guy like that, his name is AJ Hawk.

24. Paul Glotz

Paul Glotz Guest

Ratings:
    +0

25. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,267
    Not sure what you are quoting here Paul :cautious: