Defensive Coordinator Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you’re confused. Bobby Babich has never coached at Wisconsin, never been a DC, and never coached for the Bears or Jags.
Other than that, I had all the facts.

Turns out there is a Bob and a Bobby Babich. Didn't realize that. Father and son most likely. Thanks for the fact check.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Other than that, I had all the facts.

Turns out there is a Bob and a Bobby Babich. Didn't realize that. Father and son most likely. Thanks for the fact check.

Just an unbelievable flub on your part

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of his seasons was with the scab players during the strike. That is actually what led him to leave professional football and go to college. He loved the excitement and joy the replacement players played with in their only chance to play pro ball.

Gregg was a coach of the year selected as well.

It was a time for the Packers when Bratz was the GM, he didn't have a lot of talent to work with I think.
I think Gregg was the first coach to kick the winning field goal in OT when not 4th down.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy to see younger names in that interview list - I don't know much about the position coaches (so far Babich, Durden, Parker) other than what I read once their interviews were reported - but I like the concept of going with someone young, hungry, and not looking in the rear view mirror. If MLF and co. can make the right decision in that vein, it could fit the same youth energy and fearless self-belief that made this such an exciting season. Big gamble, though - but so was the MLF hire along similar lines.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the new guy running the same scheme as Barry. I am pretty sure the scheme wasn't meant to have the CBs 7 yds deep on 4th and 1. It was Barry's implementation that sucked.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Leonhard too but don't think MLF should take chances with guys who haven't at least coached in the NFL. That said, Leonhard has been a DC, a good one, not just a position coach like Al Harris. It's also valid whether he'd want to take on what an NFL job demands of a coordinator.

That’s a paragraph full of contradictions. Al Harris has coached an elite unit in the NFL for the past couple seasons. Leonard has been giving opportunities to do so and has passed on them…there must be a reason for that…

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a boomer older than the Lambeau dirt, my natural inclination is toward "tried and true" like Martindale and Ryan. That would be wrong.

The game has changed because society changed. It's a young man's game. Optimal performance by the players is largely dependent on identification with, and trust and acceptance of their coaches and coordinators. The trend is clear: The Belichecks, Reids, and McCarthys are on their way out.

So, we have to go young.

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except that he would be one and done. It would be ideal if he brought assistants with him who have the potential to succeed him in the role.
I agree with bring assistants to groom for the position. Seems the owners are moving away from the older coaches, Vrabel may not get another chance, too old school.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have been aggressive since the day after the season ended. I think they're going to be very focused and do solid due diligence in picking a DC. I have a feeling that it may be a bit of a surprise who gets selected, but it will turn out good.
On a side note, happy to see Joe Barry getting some interviews.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Out with the old, in with the new has always been the case. It's a young man's game and always has been. Everyone ages out or flames out. Trends change. There have always been a few things that remain constant. You have to be able to stop the run reasonably well, and you have to be able to present a real threat to run the ball. Games are still dependent on good play in the trenches. It is not a video game. It is the NFL.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out with the old, in with the new has always been the case. It's a young man's game and always has been. Everyone ages out or flames out. Trends change. There have always been a few things that remain constant. You have to be able to stop the run reasonably well, and you have to be able to present a real threat to run the ball. Games are still dependent on good play in the trenches. It is not a video game. It is the NFL.
It's also not a track meet. It is a physical game, and to pass the teams you need to beat in the playoffs such as the 49ers, you've got to be more physical and win in the trenches.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really recommend checking out Packerfan Total Access podcast from this morning. Walked through the four current candidates, and had video of discussions with each. Really interesting.

That said, I agree with Clayton, the pod host. MLF has someone in mind from the current group of playoff teams. Staley might be a courtesy interview and the other younger candidates might actually be interviewing for position coach or a assistant coordinator position.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with bring assistants to groom for the position. Seems the owners are moving away from the older coaches, Vrabel may not get another chance, too old school.
Vrabel is (only) 48 yrs old!! Is that too old?

Then I'm doubling down on 41 yr old Jim Leonhard as DC. Only problem is Leonhard would create a kick-@ss D in GB and in 3-4 years elevate to Head Coach before he gets too old. ;)

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vrabel is (only) 48 yrs old!! Is that too old?

Then I'm doubling down on 41 yr old Jim Leonhard as DC. Only problem is Leonhard would create a kick-@ss D in GB and in 3-4 years elevate to Head Coach before he gets too old. ;)
Not necessarily his age but coaching style and philosophy.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The more I think about the potential candidates and the Packers’ personnel, the more I like Mike Caldwell.

There’s been zero smoke around him as far as the Packers are concerned and I don’t think LaFleur has a connection to him. So I doubt it’s a realistic possibility.

But I like the idea because he is both aggressive and more pressure oriented, but not in the Ravens style of 3-4 personnel who can both drop and rush. I think he would give the Packers the shift they need philosophically without requiring an overhaul to the front 7.

He would also bring an edge that they sorely need. He would fix the run defense as well— I have no doubt about that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily his age but coaching style and philosophy.
I'm thinking we may see the pendulum start to swing back to more running the ball and move back to bigger LB's. Some of these teams using tiny backers are getting gouged and abused.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about the potential candidates and the Packers’ personnel, the more I like Mike Caldwell.

There’s been zero smoke around him as far as the Packers are concerned and I don’t think LaFleur has a connection to him. So I doubt it’s a realistic possibility.

But I like the idea because he is both aggressive and more pressure oriented, but not in the Ravens style of 3-4 personnel who can both drop and rush. I think he would give the Packers the shift they need philosophically without requiring an overhaul to the front 7.

He would also bring an edge that they sorely need. He would fix the run defense as well— I have no doubt about that.
The name is familiar but I'm drawing a blank. Could you give a little background on him?

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is either:
A) the definition of insanity
or
B) MLF trolling the fan base again;
I don't know too much about him but just because he was not a good HC doesn't mean he couldn't be a good DC. Just my .02

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The name is familiar but I'm drawing a blank. Could you give a little background on him?

He came up as a LB’s coach on Andy Reid’s Eagles staffs. He was there during that debacle when Reid moved Juan Castillo from OL to defensive coordinator. Bowles was the guy who took over as DC when Castillo inevitably flopped.

Caldwell then followed Bowles to Arizona, New York, and Tampa before the Jags hired him to be their DC. He was in that role the last two seasons and Pederson just canned him. That was ironic because the defense largely kept Jacksonville afloat this last season, but Pederson wasn’t going to fire himself.

So think of a Bowles style defense and you’ve got it. Lots more man coverage than is normal. 4-3 base defense. Emphasis on stopping the run. Lots of pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.