Defensive Coordinator Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hahaha...the Bears have had such great success with GB castoffs (Getsy, Patrick, Lewis, Sitton, Tonyan). Lewis wasn't bad for them, others, meh.
You forgot the best wr to ever play for the Packers..Equinimous St. Brown!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never got over 500 with the Packers. Overall not a successful head coach.
One of his seasons was with the scab players during the strike. That is actually what led him to leave professional football and go to college. He loved the excitement and joy the replacement players played with in their only chance to play pro ball.

Gregg was a coach of the year selected as well.

It was a time for the Packers when Bratz was the GM, he didn't have a lot of talent to work with I think.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh oh

Former Wisconsin OL coach.

Was DC for Bears and for the Jags. 2 teams that association with should raise some red flags.
I don't know much about him, but the Bills sub want him as DC and don't want him to leave. He was also the safeties coach when Poyer and Hyde were extremely good together and the linebackers played really well under him when they switched.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers requested an interview with Bills linebacker coach Bobby Babich.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mama says that defensive coordinators are the devil.

I know nothing about him to give an educated opinion (which is going to be the case for the vast majority of the guys coming in for an interview)

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of his seasons was with the scab players during the strike. That is actually what led him to leave professional football and go to college. He loved the excitement and joy the replacement players played with in their only chance to play pro ball.

Gregg was a coach of the year selected as well.

It was a time for the Packers when Bratz was the GM, he didn't have a lot of talent to work with I think.
Maybe not the best example I gave, but I think you all get the point.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We interviewed Broncos DBs coach Christian Parker.

Seems really intriguing. Excellent communicator with players.
But, another Fangio guy.

2020 article:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I updated the OP to reflect the names that have been announced for interviews and/or mentioned as guys to watch by media.

I'm intrigued by Babich and Parker.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Seems really intriguing. Excellent communicator with players.

2020 article on him:

There's been more willingness in recent years for NFL teams to jump at really young guys if they seem to be special coaching talents.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thing I will say about the list so far:

If we dramatically oversimplify the league into two buckets:

Defenses that seek to win with blitz/pressure schemes and play a lot riskier coverage vs. defenses that seek with win with 4 up front and play a lot of max coverage...

I would say there are a lot more names being mentioned that fall in the latter group than the former.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Packers Defensive Coordinator Interviews: Tracking all of the confirmed candidates​

So far, the Packers have four confirmed candidates on their radar to replace Joe Barry.

While I like the idea of Staley, I also read that he is pretty much a Joe Barry in what he likes to run on defense. Which is what MLF likes to run, but come on MLF, it didn't work.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
MLF is seemingly incapable of looking outside his 'tree'. I can't rationalize it, but I just really don't want any part of Staley.
I'm kind of feeling the same way. At first I was excited about Staley potentially being the Packer DC. However, he and Barry were cut from the same defensive coaching cloth (Fangio). While Staley had a great one year stint as the DC for the Rams, how much of that was players and the HC? His Chargers sucked on defense and when your head coach (Staley) is hired due to being a so called defensive expert, that doesn't sit well with me. Now my only caveat with this assumption is that I really don't know what Staley was working with as far as players on the Chargers defense.

All that said, if he is just Joe Barry 2.0, no thanks.

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I will say about the list so far:

If we dramatically oversimplify the league into two buckets:

Defenses that seek to win with blitz/pressure schemes and play a lot riskier coverage vs. defenses that seek with win with 4 up front and play a lot of max coverage...

I would say there are a lot more names being mentioned that fall in the latter group than the former.
Another reason I love what the Ravens do. They disguise where the pressure is coming so well and confuse the blocking assignments. For example, they'll bring 6 up to the line which causes the blocking assignments to adjust, drop two out, and bring a blitz with someone you weren't expecting. It's so well designed and disguised and they'll give the same looks and change it up. It's like the Shanahan scheme for defense lol.

I don't know if we have the personal to purely rush four and leave 6 in coverage. It's kind of what we've been doing. Our secondary and inside linebackers aren't good enough.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh oh

Former Wisconsin OL coach.

Was DC for Bears and for the Jags. 2 teams that association with should raise some red flags.
I think you’re confused. Bobby Babich has never coached at Wisconsin, never been a DC, and never coached for the Bears or Jags.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Another reason I love what the Ravens do. They disguise where the pressure is coming so well and confuse the blocking assignments. For example, they'll bring 6 up to the line which causes the blocking assignments to adjust, drop two out, and bring a blitz with someone you weren't expecting. It's so well designed and disguised and they'll give the same looks and change it up. It's like the Shanahan scheme for defense lol.

I don't know if we have the personal to purely rush four and leave 6 in coverage. It's kind of what we've been doing. Our secondary and inside linebackers aren't good enough.

I was thinking about this today.

I could be totally wrong, but I think that our personnel is closer to the "rush 4" model than a high blitz approach. I say that because disguise tends to depend a lot on guys who are viable both rushing and dropping. The Ravens have pieces like that-- I am thinking specifically of Queen, Smith, Hamilton, and Van Noy.

The only guy that seems to me to fit that mold for GB is Walker. The rest of the guys on the defensive front are guys who I would never trust to drop for the sake of disguise. Plus, they have invested a ton in a front that, maybe with a better approach, should be able to get pressure without blitzing, which is what every defense ought to strive for:

Gary was a 1st round pick and got paid
Smith is on a lucrative veteran contract
Clark was a 1st rounder and got paid
Wyatt was a 1st round pick
Van Ness was a 1st round pick
Brooks and Wooden were lower investments but have flashed

That doesn't mean you rule out a higher pressure DC. I would be refreshed to watch that kind of defense. But I don't know that I would say it fits the current personnel best.

What might be the best option, if we are going to split the difference here, is a DC who understands how to coach up DL games and stunts in a way that's less predictable than GB has been under Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts