Defensive Coordinator Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About Saleh. The natives are calling for his head in NY more every week, both fans and the local press. I'm starting to feel like it's more likely to happen or not. Obviously, if they do, you know MLF will be on the phone with him within minutes. Does anyone think he would go elsewhere to be the DC if his BFF offers him the job in GB? What are the odds some other team offers him a HC job?
IF he fails in NYC, I think Saleh would have to go back to a coordinator gig before being considered for another HC job. And that assumes he gets fired, which I kinda doubt. Burning the #2 overall pick on Wilson was crippling to the Jets. Other than that, they have drafted very well. But they had no real plan at QB behind Rodgers.

I'd love to have him as the DC in GB. I doubt it will happen. They'll keep him in NYC to see what he can do with Rodgers.

Like Philly, the Jets are another example of just how important an elite QB is to a team with a lot of other talent. By keeping drives going, the QB has an indirect impact on his defense (rest) as well. The Jets have a lot of pieces in place, except QB. Seems like they need a new GM more than a new HC.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris seems like a guy people want because he used to play here. He looks to be a fine DB coach, but he could just be teaching DBs how to be DBs.

Some of the vanity titles are just that, but a lack of "passing game coordination" or "red zone package installer" implies to me he's a position coach only right now.
Good catch.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather have a proven guy at this point than just giving guys a shot.
The Packers have a decent amount of talent on D. The glaring hole is S, and maybe some depth at ILB/Edge/CB. Smith can still play but he's close to the end. Engabare will have to be replaced for most of the season. But that's about it.

So I agree with you Broken. I'd rater have a proven guy at DC, or someone who has had the job. I like the guy from Carolina although coming from a 2-15 team raises concern.

Whoosh23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i‘d be fine with Leonard. He played 10 yrs in the league so he’d have the players respect. He’s been a D coordinator not just a position coach and his defenses were always tough and aggressive. Plus, culturally and socially, he’d be perfect with the fan base.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Morris getting the Atlanta job, we've now got the Rams as competition for a new DC. Better get hot boys.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all fairness, I don't really know a lot about Leonard, but it seems / feels like he's a favorite choice here pretty much because he's a Wisconsin guy. Not a good reason if that is the number one reason. My biggest problem is he's never been a pro DC, and hasn't even coached at all for a couple of years. You want to shove a guy into the job was going to be basically learning on the job?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
In all fairness, I don't really know a lot about Leonard, but it seems / feels like he's a favorite choice here pretty much because he's a Wisconsin guy. Not a good reason if that is the number one reason. My biggest problem is he's never been a pro DC, and hasn't even coached at all for a couple of years. You want to shove a guy into the job was going to be basically learning on the job?
If Leonard doesn't want it, Mike Vrabel is still not landed a job yet.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone here just settling for crumbs...go get bill belichick MLF or I name you coward!
There is a chance the game has passed him by. I think if he becomes a HC and a GM, he will fail. As just a HC, I think he will be good, not great.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Al Harris seems like a guy people want because he used to play here. He looks to be a fine DB coach, but he could just be teaching DBs how to be DBs.

Some of the vanity titles are just that, but a lack of "passing game coordination" or "red zone package installer" implies to me he's a position coach only right now.
He is being mentioned for Eagles job as well. He can do wonders with the secondary

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Leonhard played for 8 years or so in the NFL. Been a very good DC at Wisconsin. He is very quick to act in games. No waiting for half time adjustments with him. Needed changes coming on next possession. He'd be great for our safeties especially. I'm just not sure if he and his family is ready for the time commitment the job would require.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a decent amount of talent on D. The glaring hole is S, and maybe some depth at ILB/Edge/CB. Smith can still play but he's close to the end. Engabare will have to be replaced for most of the season. But that's about it.

So I agree with you Broken. I'd rater have a proven guy at DC, or someone who has had the job. I like the guy from Carolina although coming from a 2-15 team raises concern.
Same. Carolina was 4th in yards allowed but 29th in points allowed. Given how bad their offense was, it looks to me like they gave up a lot of short fields and then couldn't stop anyone.

Reaction score
Good point. He’s probably another Top3 candidate for me. I like Vrabel had a massive list of both personal and coaching accolades. Beating both Patriots, Steelers, Houston, SB defending Champ Eagles (all teams he has tied to) very quickly just to name a few. Personally he’s a favorite because he understands risk assessment. I’d put him at an easy Top5 Coach in time management and while he might not be calling out Offense, he’s still calling our Defense and he’s quick to understand the intricacies of the sport at a high level and in real time format

He’s Highly competitive. Highly successful player (3-time SB Champ) and a key player on the Patriots Defense. I think he’s shown to be a good leader and he’s very intense but a high expectation, high output type game manager.
Just the fact that the 49ers offered him the DC position a few years back (before Titans HC) tells you how well he’s respected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Someone I trust texted me this

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Do you think he was considering it and pulled out when the Packers job came up? Would the timing fit?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Vrabel doesn't land another HC gig, which is unlikely, he'd be a great candidate for DC for the Packers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard played for 8 years or so in the NFL. Been a very good DC at Wisconsin. He is very quick to act in games. No waiting for half time adjustments with him. Needed changes coming on next possession. He'd be great for our safeties especially. I'm just not sure if he and his family is ready for the time commitment the job would require.
I like Leonhard too but don't think MLF should take chances with guys who haven't at least coached in the NFL. That said, Leonhard has been a DC, a good one, not just a position coach like Al Harris. It's also valid whether he'd want to take on what an NFL job demands of a coordinator.

My preference right now, if he doesn't land another HC job is Vrabel. He might only be available for a few years, but he's got a track record of winning.

Let's just make sure Adrian Griffin's name doesn't sneak onto the list.......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Leonhard too but don't think MLF should take chances with guys who haven't at coached in the NFL. That said, Leonhard has been a DC, a good one, not just a position coach like Al Harris. It's also valid whether he'd want to take on what an NFL job demands of a coordinator. His current job sounds pretty good.

My preference right now, if he doesn't land another HC job is Vrabel. He might only be available for a few years, but he's got a track record of winning.

Let's just make sure Adrian Griffin's name doesn't sneak onto the list.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.