Defensive Coordinator Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry will be the DC this coming season. That is not going to change. The majority of the stats put up by the Cowboys yesterday was when the Packers went into their prevent defense which only helps a little to burn clock. I think LeFleur tells him when it's time to do it. If that's what people are using to suggest he should be dumped, it's a bogus theory.

After next year, all best are off. But I'd bet a shiny nickel they get him some real help on defense in the upcoming draft, and they will be a much better unit.
Could you please define "real help"? Asking for a friend.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could you please define "real help"? Asking for a friend.
I like that. :)

By help, I believe they'll play heavily in drafting personnel that will significantly upgrade the defense at all levels. In fact, I think there's a chance they invest 4 of those 5 first one hundred picks on the defensive side of the ball. This would address the problem we've had this year with a lack of depth.

It's also possible that they dip into the FA market, and get an experienced DB, who can show veteran leadership to the group. I kind of hope they'd work on finding someone who can help solidify them, like Charles Woodson did. Of course the FA is a hope, because that might not happen.

But the draft picks? It will help to enormously improve the depth on defense.

I hope that answers your friend's question. LOL

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that. :)

By help, I believe they'll play heavily in drafting personnel that will significantly upgrade the defense at all levels. In fact, I think there's a chance they invest 4 of those 5 first one hundred picks on the defensive side of the ball. This would address the problem we've had this year with a lack of depth.

It's also possible that they dip into the FA market, and get an experienced DB, who can show veteran leadership to the group. I kind of hope they'd work on finding someone who can help solidify them, like Charles Woodson did. Of course the FA is a hope, because that might not happen.

But the draft picks? It will help to enormously improve the depth on defense.

I hope that answers your friend's question. LOL
The reason my friend asked is he believes they have been attempting to get real help on defense through the draft for quite a while. IMO real help comes from Day 1 starter. Currently DL is 1 vet and 2 recent draft picks starting with 2 rookies as depth. Edge- a vet and a FA vet starting with 2 recent picks as backups. ILB- FA vet and recent pick starting with the same as depth. CBs- 2 vets and a whole bunch of youth behind them. S- 1 vet and a whole bunch of inexperience. It is a pretty young group already. I believe in BPA with a few caveats. I am hoping the 1st defensive player they draft is a day 1 real help contributor, not a prospect. I also understand that those are not easy to come by in this unexpected draft position, but one can hope.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our lack of depth on defense this year was because of injuries and our depth were the ones playing. Valentine, Ballantine, Johnson Jr were not slated to be starters when camp opened.
Depth in today's game means players who fit into rotations on the field. It's rare seeing a player take all snaps. I agree on the BPA issue. There's no defined answer. It depends on what there is out there that will benefit you now, as much as tomorrow.

As an example. I think this is Smith's last year with the Packers, so we're going to need someone who can work well with VanNess and Gary. You need them in the rotation. I'm not certain what they will do with their ILB corps. Time will tell. We need to strongly look at strengthening both safety positions. I think that will be addressed fairly early. I see us getting a CB. You can never have too many, as we well know, as the injury bug hits. Then there's a question whether or not Alexander will be back next year. Same with

They "might" invest in a player for the front line as well. How early I don't know.

The question marks I have related to the offensive line. Which spots on the line are they happy with? How much are they willing to spend in draft capital to help at any given position?

I don't pretend to know what the Packers will do. I'm just giving my opinion. You're entitled to yours.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Smith has you figuring he's gone? Yes, he's 31, but signed through '26 (and they obviously knew about his age at the time). Haven't seen much in the way of negative comments about him, and it only costs about 2.5 mil more to keep him than dumping him. Should he stay and Enagbare comes back from his injury, the gang's back together.

Also (given what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?), why would Alexander be gone? It would cost 3.5 mil to get rid of him.

Not sure about "Same with...", but when you fill in the blank, we'll see. :)

Just wondering.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
S- 1 vet and a whole bunch of inexperience.
1 vet? I assume you mean Savage. Owens started last season every game in Houston and was off his rookie contract when the Packers signed him. Rudy Ford was in the league even longer and played almost half of Jax snaps before coming to GB last season. They were not dominant which is why they were available for cheap but they are usable experience. Yes I'd upgrade both but they are not liabilities.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that JB is rumored to be gone,, time to reactivate this thread so same names don't get reposted in a new one.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Smith has you figuring he's gone? Yes, he's 31, but signed through '26 (and they obviously knew about his age at the time). Haven't seen much in the way of negative comments about him, and it only costs about 2.5 mil more to keep him than dumping him. Should he stay and Enagbare comes back from his injury, the gang's back together.
Enagbare tore his ACL against Dallas on 1/13/24...best case return would be around Thanksgiving +/- a few weeks. I think Smith stays for '24 & we live with the cap#.

Reaction score
The reason my friend asked is he believes they have been attempting to get real help on defense through the draft for quite a while. IMO real help comes from Day 1 starter. Currently DL is 1 vet and 2 recent draft picks starting with 2 rookies as depth. Edge- a vet and a FA vet starting with 2 recent picks as backups. ILB- FA vet and recent pick starting with the same as depth. CBs- 2 vets and a whole bunch of youth behind them. S- 1 vet and a whole bunch of inexperience. It is a pretty young group already. I believe in BPA with a few caveats. I am hoping the 1st defensive player they draft is a day 1 real help contributor, not a prospect. I also understand that those are not easy to come by in this unexpected draft position, but one can hope.
I agree with you Schultz.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My guess is that it will be one of these guys:

Brandon Staley

Ejiro Evero

Jim Leonhard

Mike Vrabel (if he doesn’t get a head job this cycle)

I would be fine with any of them but Evero would be my first choice.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I like Joe Barry as a person. He seems very genuine and a good person. I wish him well hopefully he goes to a division rival :)

Adam Schefter is reporting the Packers are considering retaining Barry in some other capacity!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Brandon Staley

Ejiro Evero

Jim Leonhard

I thought Carolina planned on keeping Evero? If he doesn't get a HC gig I'd think Vrabel has an inside track. Expect a few Rooney rule interviews if they don't hire from within.

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brandon Staley

Ejiro Evero

Jim Leonhard

Vrabel would be a great hire.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Joe Barry did a better job this season, than in years past, but not good enough to save his job. While the players publicly stated that they loved Joe, I am sure they will love the next guy too. I mean what else are they going to say in public?

Lots of candidates out there, would love to hear peoples thoughts of who the next Packers DC should be.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Names to throw around:

Mike Vrabel

Brandon Staley

Wink Martindale

Ejiro Evero

Leslie Frazier

Al Harris

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would Evero want to make a lateral move? Obviously he'd be going to a much better team, but not sure how much precedent there is for that.

If we were to hire Vrabel and he does well, we might lose him after one season to another team that's willing to hire him as HC.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Would Evero want to make a lateral move? Obviously he'd be going to a much better team, but not sure how much precedent there is for that.

If we were to hire Vrabel and he does well, we might lose him after one season to another team that's willing to hire him as HC.

I think that he would want to get out of Carolina ASAP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.