Defensive Coordinator Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get him in tomorrow as a special consultant, especially since they played Dallas twice this season.
Uhh, maybe not. NYG lost both games, 40-0 and 49-17. Doesn't appear Martindale was able to convey any defensive insight to his players. :(

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Wink Martindale resigning from the New York Giants, I would like to float the idea of LaFleur replacing Joe Barry with an actual successful DC. This team is ascending, the offense has the potential to be prolific and there’s too much talent (regardless) of draft position in the defense. The defense needs a singular voice that will right the ship and help this team regain its rightful place as the true kings of the North. Please share your thoughts and/or other worthy candidates.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There....I put out the bat signal for Rex Ryan:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Actually, I like it. He would be the guy who is on a hot seat ALL the time. But he would only want the top spot.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I like it. He would be the guy who is on a hot seat ALL the time. But he would only want the top spot.
You like the idea of Ryan coming here? Or, you like @El Guapo bat signal?

On second thought, I don't wanna know...

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Martindale as an NFL Defensive Coordinator:

-2010, Broncos: 31st in PPG; 30th in PPD

-2018, Ravens: 2nd in PPG; 2nd in PPD

-2019, Ravens: 3rd in PPG; 5th in PPD

-2020, Ravens: 2nd in PPG; 4th in PPD

-2021, Ravens: 19th in PPG; 12th in PPD

-2022, Giants: 17th in PPG; 19th in PPD

-2023, Giants: 26th in PPG; 20th in PPD

He took over an excellent Ravens defense in 2018 and, to his credit (not diminishing this at all), he maintained excellence for three seasons.

However, his approach in Baltimore became stale and he couldn't figure out a way to adjust. They fired him and immediately got back to an elite level. In New York, his results have been comparable to Barry's.

He's a better DC candidate than Barry due to the fact that he has proven to be able to coach great units in the past. However, you have to go back 4 years to find the last time he was doing that and I think it's fair to mention that Baltimore is basically the ideal ecosystem for being a great DC. Their ability to draft and develop great talent there is elite. Overall, it would seem that the league has learned to hit his fastball and he doesn't really have a changeup.

This is not at all who I would want the Packers to hire. I'm not opposed to older/experienced guys, but if they go that route then get someone who has shown the ability to mold scheme to personnel and succeed in different ways. That's the whole point of going older anyways. Martindale strikes me as a guy who pushes one button on defense and if it isn't working, he just pushes it harder.

Honestly, if he didn't look like a junkyard dog, I don't think he would be a popular name.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tennessee just fire Mike Vrabel. If he doesn't land in Atlanta, Carolina, or SD would be an instant upgrade to Barry. If he'd turn GB into a top 5-8 D would be back in the HC hiring frenzy within 2-4 years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tennessee just fire Mike Vrabel. If he doesn't land in Atlanta, Carolina, or SD would be an instant upgrade to Barry. If he'd turn GB into a top 5-8 D would be back in the HC hiring frenzy within 2-4 years.

He is going to be the next HC of NE. I bet at least.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the general synopsis is that there are quite a few good DC candidates out there. If Love balls out and Barry's defense collapses against the Cowboys, the Packers DC job would be very enticing to the type of DC that wants a turnkey defense that has most of the pieces and an ascending offense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the general synopsis is that there are quite a few good DC candidates out there. If Love balls out and Barry's defense collapses against the Cowboys, the Packers DC job would be very enticing to the type of DC that wants a turnkey defense that has most of the pieces and an ascending offense.
About the only defenses that might slow down that Cowboy offense right now are the 9ers and Ravens.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm in the boat I don't care if Barry's defense does well and we win - he still needs to go. I think both can exist.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About the only defenses that might slow down that Cowboy offense right now are the 9ers and Ravens.
Those might be the only defenses to slow ours down too. Whelan hasn't been terribly busy since Thanksgiving. He's only punted 12 times since then. Bryan Anger has punted 16 times in the same span.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his most recent comments, it sounds like LaFleur is beginning to soften on his support of Joe Barry. I could be wrong, but I think there could be a change on the horizon. So if they make the move, who are the options to replace him? Here are the names that occur to me.

Preferred Candidates:

-Jesse Minter, DC, Michigan:
If he comes available in all the movement with Jim Harbaugh leaving, he would be an excellent hire.

-Ryan Nielsen, DC, Falcons: If the baby (Nielsen) gets thrown out with the bathwater (Smith), he would be a great hire. He's doing a lot (8th in ppg allowed; 9th in ppd allowed) with a middling group of talent; comes off the Dennis Allen tree.

-Ejiro Evero, DC, Carolina: If the Panthers totally clean house, I could see them making another run at him.

-Chris Hewitt, DB's, Ravens: Hewitt has served under some great defensive coaches and I think he's be a homerun hire.

-Patrick Graham, DC, Raiders: Graham may or may not be available depending on what happens with Pierce, but I would like the move.

Good Candidates:

-Dave Merritt, DB's, Chiefs:
I'm speculating here a little bit, but I think Merritt could be a rising star as a defensive coach. The Chiefs have had a ton of success under Merritt getting great play out of young/unheralded DB's.

-Dave Aranda, HC, Baylor: He would need to be fired or decide to leave the college ranks, but I think there's at least a chance he jumps ship for the NFL.

-Jim Leonhard, Analyst, Illinois: They offered him the job once and he turned it down. Would they try to make it work again?

-Al Harris, DB's, Cowboys: Harris has solid experience under two very different styles of DC's (Bob Sutton and Dan Quinn).

-Marquand Manuel, Safeties, Jets: Another former Packer, Manuel has worked under some good staffs and seems to be on the rise.

Not Ideal, but Acceptable:

-Brandon Staley, HC, Chargers:
The system wouldn't change under Staley, but I think he's a better representative of it. I don't see him being a hit in the locker room.

-Renaldo Hill, DB's, Dolphins: A Fangio tree guy-- this system is flagging in terms of success, but the godfather is still crushing it.

Not Interested:

-Wink Martindale, DC, Giants:
Martindale has the reputation of being a great DC, but the results haven't been there for a long time. His Ravens' units took a downturn and then he got fired; his defenses in New York were average to below average.

Lol Brandon Staley is acceptable but not Wink Martindale…

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's go with Al Harris for nostalgia and competency.

He's a Packer's legend and has improved the secondary of the Cowboys drastically.

He will command respect from the players and bring instant credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts