Defense under Barry

Reaction score
I think the Rams are probably our biggest test, of the remaining games on the schedule. The good news, we have Joe Barry, who as their assistant head coach and linebackers coach for 4 years, should have a decent understanding of both the Rams Defense and offense.

Barry's knowledge was probably pretty handy when getting ready to play both the Cardinals and Seahawk, since Barry faced those teams at least 8 times each.
Absolutely.
I think the Packers @ Lambeau are also a big test for LA. They are fortunate we are missing a slew of good players right now

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also not necessarily going to hop onto the Barry train with everyone. This defense really came alive against the Cardinals when Jerry Gray was the DC. The players could not stop gushing about Gray after the game. Granted, Barry was involved in planning for that game and has been back for the last two. It could all be coincidence, but the Packers might have also made a slight coaching shift or they've just responded better since then.

I don't know exactly how or why the defense is playing the way that it is...but I hope that the Packers do!
I listened to the Packers OT on WTMJ. When they interviewed both Kris Barnes and Eric Stokes, both took time to compliment Joe Barry's game plan for the Seahawks game. I guess that eliminates some of the Jerry Gray talk that I said above.

I'm stepping onto the platform at the Joe Barry train station.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to the Packers OT on WTMJ. When they interviewed both Kris Barnes and Eric Stokes, both took time to compliment Joe Barry's game plan for the Seahawks game. I guess that eliminates some of the Jerry Gray talk that I said above.

I'm stepping onto the platform at the Joe Barry train station.

When Barry got the job, some folks were falling all over themselves crying about what an awful hire it was. Those folks are kind of quiet now.

Still, they can't bring themselves to give him any credit, so they'll try to explain it all away for now. They'll wait for a poor performance and then pounce....It'll all be Barry's fault then.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hated the Barry signing. I couldnt imagine a guy with 2 failed defenses in his resume being the guy to lead us to where we needed to be. Glad I am significantly wrong. Hes getting the absolute best out of everyone.

King is playing the best hes ever played... which is still below average... but at least its not awful. Stokes as a rookie is locking down top receivers in the league. Savage and Gary have really taken their next steps. Campbell has played on 2 different teams and been a JAG. I think at this point in his career he is what he is but Barry is doing something to get him to play at an elite level. Lowry is having his best year since he got a 2nd contract. Mercilus came in from a bad team where he wasnt getting snaps and revived his career.

Hes got these guys playing at the peak of their abilities and deserves a ton of credit. Also because he was a failed HC and older he might be able to stick around a while as a DC giving us a really nice HC/DC combo for years to come.

Reaction score
Great numbers so far. What we do from here will make the difference.

I'll tell you what though. I will take a season of watching the Packers with shut-down defense over a high-scoring season like 2011 any day. It feels so much more satisfying to me.
Agreed. Let’s face it. When the playoffs come, having D play better than O pays a dividend.
Add to that, we really have not hit our stride on Offense imo. We are nowhere close to potential. Missing longer throws to MVS, repeated failures to finish good drives, missing relatively easy FG’s and extra points, nursing injuries and battered and tattered. It’s time to start netting Offensive players down the stretch

We’re playing disjointed on O and still winning games. Just imagine if the Offense starts clicking?

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great numbers so far. What we do from here will make the difference.

I'll tell you what though. I will take a season of watching the Packers with shut-down defense over a high-scoring season like 2011 any day. It feels so much more satisfying to me.
Agreed. 3-0 wins are far more satisfying and entertaining to me than 48-42 wins. With this defense (if it doesn't decline) I see no issue with Love not being able to win a championship. All he has to do is not turn the ball over...very Wisconsin Badgers football-esque

Reaction score
I’m not sure about you guys. But I’m not nearly as agitated during super low scoring games. Such as 0-0 or 6-3 at halftime. It’s much more stressful when we are both just scoring at will because it’s like it’s a false sense of security? Anyway a Wins a Win.
:tup:

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely.
I think the Packers @ Lambeau are also a big test for LA. They are fortunate we are missing a slew of good players right now
Imo, it's a bigger test for them than it is for us. They're going into their bye week after having been curb stomped in their last two games. They're going to get two weeks of unwelcomed negative press and they have to figure out how to find an offense and incorporate Miller and Beckham into their midst. The sharks out there smell blood in the water.

Reaction score
Imo, it's a bigger test for them than it is for us. They're going into their bye week after having been curb stomped in their last two games. They're going to get two weeks of unwelcomed negative press and they have to figure out how to find an offense and incorporate Miller and Beckham into their midst. The sharks out there smell blood in the water.
Also. Stafford isn’t really a running QB. When he does he gets 10 yards down field and still throws! I wish I was joking!

Stafford is solid but still makes rookie mistakes if pressured. Last night was symbolic of that concept and an invitation of how to handle a solid QB. Apply constant pressure and challenge him to beat you on the run

Reaction score
It would be nice for the 0 to put a game away before half time which hasn't happen for awhile.
Our Defense is doing their part. This team is poised to clobber someone if we can just right this Offense. How long have we waited for this Defense
???!
Granted I’m holding the Offense to a high standard, but we all should.
We have no business scoring 22 points per game. This Offense is too good for that and I’d say that to Rodgers face.
25pts/gm should be our floor.

25th Redzone Offense?
19th Rushing TD’s with one of the best RB tandems in the league?

Somethings not jiving

Last edited:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be nice for the 0 to put a game away before half time which hasn't happen for awhile.
Since the Bears game like 10 years ago when it was 45-0 at halftime, or something ridiculous like that? The offense really should have put up 80 that night and could have if not for resting starters after halftime

Reaction score
Since the Bears game like 10 years ago when it was 45-0 at halftime, or something ridiculous like that? The offense really should have put up 80 that night and could have if not for resting starters after halftime
Yeah. In 2011 Networks (FOX) were cutting Packer games before the end of 3rd quarter. I only remember because I had NFL Package but they blacked out games that were locally televised.
We were beating the snot out of teams.

This D isn’t quite 2010 yet, but it could be with J’aire and ZaDarius back before playoffs.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I quite agree.

Unlike the Pack, the Rams have mortgaged their future, and will be watching other teams use their draft picks next April. The Rams look great on paper, but that doesn't always translate to success on the field. The Rams must win this year, and right now even winning their division is in question.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our Defense is doing their part. This team is poised to clobber someone if we can just right this Offense. How long have we waited for this Defense
???!
We have no business scoring 22 points per game. This Offense is too good for that and I’d say that to Rodgers face.

25th Redzone Offense?

Somethings not jiving
The offense is surely disjointed. Bakhtiari out all season, Jenkins out several weeks, Myers out most of the sesson, Tonyan on the IR, Rodgers missing a game and not practicing for another, Lazard and Adams missed games, MVS out 5 games. Now Jones will miss several weeks. Too many injuries and missed games for the offense to get in synch. With Tonyan done for the year, red zone offense will suffer. While the unit should improve if the o line can get healthy, the defense will have to keep playing very well to make a deep playoff run possible.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How are the Packers going to replace Gary? His injury was so devastating, they wouldn't replay it. With Ramsy and Z out, are there any bodies left at OLB with Gary probably lost for the season and maybe lost deep into next season. Mercilus is out too with a new injury. Seahawks got shut out but the Packers sure got beat up.
must hate Gafry is a stud...half joking, but need to admit you were very wrong with all your gary hate

Packers OLB Rashan Gary wants to brace elbow, try to play vs. Vikings​

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
???!

25th Redzone Offense?

Somethings not jiving
Love threw a td in KC, Rodgers didnt at home ;)

before ANYONE says it was all Lazard, your not allowed to use the yards from that Dillion 50 yarder

Relax everyone, Rodgers needs this week to get right

Latest posts