Defense under Barry

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope Cook stays in Covid lists for our game. This D just can't stop the run.

This isn't entirely true. Now if you say of late they cannot - you're 100% correct, shoot if possible to be more than 100 percent correct you would be. They've illustrated ability to contain and control the rush before in this very season...question isn't if they can it is if they will. For a defense that excelled early, they are regressing and more and more depending on splash plays or big swing plays to occur - which is something that should concern everyone.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't entirely true. Now if you say of late they cannot - you're 100% correct, shoot if possible to be more than 100 percent correct you would be. They've illustrated ability to contain and control the rush before in this very season...question isn't if they can it is if they will. For a defense that excelled early, they are regressing and more and more depending on splash plays or big swing plays to occur - which is something that should concern everyone.
The last time we played them we held Cook in check surprisingly. It was Jefferson and Thielen that ran us ragged.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, I was about past 3 games. We'd have likely lost against the Browns if only they had :confused: stuck with Chubb than Baker.

Rushing Yards allowed past 6 games:

208 yards vs Browns
143 yards vs Ravens
137 yards vs Bears
68 yards vs Rams
94 vs Vikings
75 vs Seahawks

I'm not sure what changed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I was about past 3 games. We'd have likely lost against the Browns if only they had :)confused:) stuck with Chubb than Baker.

Rushing Yards allowed past 6 games:

208 yards vs Browns
143 yards vs Ravens
137 yards vs Bears
68 yards vs Rams
94 vs Vikings
75 vs Seahawks

I'm not sure what changed.

I'd have to go back game by game, but I do remember the Lancaster and Keke had excellent games for us against the Vikings the first time around. Lancaster hasn't played well a lot of games this year, but I wonder if a correlation exists between when he does and when we do better against the run.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Rashan losing contain as much as his replacement while he's on the bench. Those were the big back breakers. When Gary was on the field the edge rushes were much shorter.
He does not help the run D much at all. Unless it is in pursuit. We have four D linemen. All have to help stop the run. I think he needs to be more aware of that.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Rashan losing contain as much as his replacement while he's on the bench. Those were the big back breakers. When Gary was on the field the edge rushes were much shorter.
This is why we need Z back. I know Z is in the building, which means he hasn't been put on the season ending IR, like Robert Tonyan. I just wonder how close Z really is to coming back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why we need Z back. I know Z is in the building, which means he hasn't been put on the season ending IR, like Robert Tonyan. I just wonder how close Z really is to coming back.
Z's strengths is rushing the passer in passing situations - I'd argue Gary plays the run better than even he does. That doesn't mean we don't need him back, as someone like him if he is remotely close to how he played of old would be immensely valuable.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Z is an elite interior pass rusher so he and Gary should play well together since Gary is very good coming off the edge.

As for the topic, I think the offense really let Barry down against the Browns. Absolutely no reason the offense should have been as awful as it was in the second half and the game should never have been that close.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers run defense wasn't that good to begin with in the first 10 games either, ranking 26th in yards per attempt allowed over that period.

Z hasn't been even designated to return up until now, meaning he's still not allowed to practice with the team. Therefore I don't expect him to be back anytime soon.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Chubb might be the best all-around back Green Bay has faced this season. Kamara is in the conversation, and Dalvin Cook, but Chubb combines speed with power and is a weapon in both the run and pass game.

Injuries are always a factor, and as the season wears on, bodies break down. Some guys are missing, other are playing at less than 100%. That said, the Browns had to settle for 22 points for all those yards, so that is something. The defense wasn't great, but it was good enough.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Chubb might be the best all-around back Green Bay has faced this season. Kamara is in the conversation, and Dalvin Cook, but Chubb combines speed with power and is a weapon in both the run and pass game.

Injuries are always a factor, and as the season wears on, bodies break down. Some guys are missing, other are playing at less than 100%. That said, the Browns had to settle for 22 points for all those yards, so that is something. The defense wasn't great, but it was good enough.
I think Chubb is one of the best backs in the league. In a way, surviving him, and having game film to see what went wrong, could actually benefit the Packers moving forward.

Just my opinion.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, he looked very good. Strong and fast. But getting to the hole in the first place...well a lot of people could have run through those holes. Yes, he does a lot with it after but they were going to be good gains no matter who.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he looked very good. Strong and fast. But getting to the hole in the first place...well a lot of people could have run through those holes. Yes, he does a lot with it after but they were going to be good gains no matter who.
Good training film for the Packers to work on their porous defense against a solid RB. Something they need, to improve before the playoffs.

There's nothing better than game film that helps you improve, after you win. It makes you tougher to beat down the road.

The question is, how much can our defense evolve, with the personnel they have, to be better against the run? Hopefully a lot better than they have been at points during this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's concern about how many points the defense will give up against an opponent with a better quarterback than Mayfield if they can't stop the run though.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if the players are now trying to be heros and get a turn-over rather than playing their position.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if the players are now trying to be heros and get a turn-over rather than playing their position.
It does appear that way lately. The Seattle game was a wonderful display of teamwork but the Cleveland game...well...looked like a high school pre-season defense with all their confusion and isolations

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Chubb is one of the best backs in the league. In a way, surviving him, and having game film to see what went wrong, could actually benefit the Packers moving forward.

Just my opinion.

I have Chubb in a class with a healthy Derrick Henry and Jonathan Taylor - Everyone else is at least one tier below those three, IMHO.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was more afraid of Cook all season if he was healthy. The way he ran against the Steelers was scary. It brought back nightmares of Adrian Peterson. We caught the Niners with a decimated back field at the time. With that running game the Browns have you wonder how they lost some of the games they did and by substantial scores.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was disturbing about the Cleveland game is how often Chubb would get to the secondary without a Packer defender hitting him. The d line and and linebackers were just manhandled and couldn't shed blocks or were frequently pushed back 5 yards. Those are the types of physical limitations that are hard to fix with changes in their defensive sceme. While Cleveland has a good offensive line, Chicago's is mediocre and Baltimore's was hit bad by injuries. The Packers are going to see a lot of teams gearing up for the run in the playoffs as well as taking a page from Baltimore and double teaming Adams.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was disturbing about the Cleveland game is how often Chubb would get to the secondary without a Packer defender hitting him. The d line and and linebackers were just manhandled and couldn't shed blocks or were frequently pushed back 5 yards. Those are the types of physical limitations that are hard to fix with changes in their defensive sceme. While Cleveland has a good offensive line, Chicago's is mediocre and Baltimore's was hit bad by injuries. The Packers are going to see a lot of teams gearing up for the run in the playoffs as well as taking a page from Baltimore and double teaming Adams.
Quite disturbing. This was more reminiscent of the Caper days.