Defense under Barry

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the criticism of Barry was mostly based on the lack of success during his previous stints as a defensive coordinator. While I wasn't a fan of him being hired he has done better than expected so far.
Woah woah there horsey. There are 229 posts in the "Fire Joe Barry" thread. The thread was started after the Saints game and I guarantee that the majority of posts were about the defense's performance this season.

There definitely was hesitancy about Barry's track record coming into the season. This thread has 104 posts through the offseason discussing whether or not he was the right fit. I think that it's fair to say that people were critical leading up to the season, blew out their head gaskets after Week 1, and are just starting to settle down and realize that it's not as bad as first appeared.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woah woah there horsey. There are 229 posts in the "Fire Joe Barry" thread. The thread was started after the Saints game and I guarantee that the majority of posts were about the defense's performance this season.

There definitely was hesitancy about Barry's track record coming into the season. This thread has 104 posts through the offseason discussing whether or not he was the right fit. I think that it's fair to say that people were critical leading up to the season, blew out their head gaskets after Week 1, and are just starting to settle down and realize that it's not as bad as first appeared.

My hesitancy was 100% based on his awful performance in the same role with prior teams. I also don't think he's done a ton to make me feel better about it. As of now, the Packers are 24th in defensive DVOA (Football Outsiders measure that accounts for opponent strength and play situations), which isn't exactly stellar. I like DVOA over points per game because it accounts for a lot of factors that get kind of ignored by points per game (i.e., the Packers turn the ball over VERY rarely and that helps the defensive points per game measure but that's the offense doing that, not the defense).

I'm willing to believe that injuries are a major cause of the defense's disappointing play thus far but people that are taking victory laps on Joe Barry are hanging their hats on two recent games against really bad offenses. By DVOA, the last 5 teams the Packers have played are all 16th or worst on offense and the defense has given up 28, 17, 22, 14, and 10 points against those teams.

We're going to see how good this defense really as the Packers play 3 top-10 offenses in the next 3 weeks and I will be absolutely thrilled if I have to come back in 3 weeks and say that Joe Barry has proven me to be completely wrong.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as we don't lose anymore players, I don't think we're as bad off as everyone is making it out to be.
Personal opinion here but if you are going to lose a stud at any position WR just might be the best place to do it. I'm talking about a game changing player at a particular position not just your best guy. Looking at the other positions obviously losing a stud QB is going to hurt the most. If you have a dominating RB (CMC for example) and he is a huge focus of your offense then that is really going to hurt. Along the O line if you lose an all pro and have to shuffle the entire line to replace him that can really disrupt things and if you simply replace him with a much lesser player then that simply makes that position much weaker. Along the D line if you lose a dominant presence that can affect a lot of what you can do on defense. Same at LB. In the secondary losing a stud can allow your opponent to focus on the weak link replacement. Obviously losing a WR of Adams' caliber is not a good thing but as we have seen we went 6-0 without him before. I'm not saying its a good thing like some might try to imply saying it forces Rodgers to spread things just that I think its easier to change your offense to work around losing a guy like that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Niners usually have a solid defense if their offense does not put them out there all day.

The Niners have given up at least 28 points in four of their six games this season. Yet somehow they were able to hold the Cardinals to 17.

A lot of fans overreacted to the Packers playing a terrible game in week 1 vs. the Saints. I was hesitant about Barry's hiring based on his track record with other teams though.

I'm willing to believe that injuries are a major cause of the defense's disappointing play thus far but people that are taking victory laps on Joe Barry are hanging their hats on two recent games against really bad offenses.

I don't think it's fair to consider the performance of the defense as disappointing so far this season, especially considering the injuries they have had to deal with.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners have given up at least 28 points in four of their six games this season. Yet somehow they were able to hold the Cardinals to 17.

A lot of fans overreacted to the Packers playing a terrible game in week 1 vs. the Saints. I was hesitant about Barry's hiring based on his track record with other teams though.

I don't think it's fair to consider the performance of the defense as disappointing so far this season, especially considering the injuries they have had to deal with.
On paper they are average at best but they have certainly been adequate so far albeit not the big powerhouse offenses. If our offense had put up some points in hot Jacksonville they may have stayed off the field long enough to catch their breath.

D

Deleted member 6794

On paper they are average at best but they have certainly been adequate so far albeit not the big powerhouse offenses. If our offense had put up some points in hot Jacksonville they may have stayed off the field long enough to catch their breath.

In my opinion the Packers defense has been better than adequate, ranking seventh in points allowed entering this week.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers shorthanded defense played as well as possible last night. Coverage was good except for the last drive where Cardinal receivers were wide open for big gains.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hesitancy was 100% based on his awful performance in the same role with prior teams. I also don't think he's done a ton to make me feel better about it. As of now, the Packers are 24th in defensive DVOA (Football Outsiders measure that accounts for opponent strength and play situations), which isn't exactly stellar. I like DVOA over points per game because it accounts for a lot of factors that get kind of ignored by points per game (i.e., the Packers turn the ball over VERY rarely and that helps the defensive points per game measure but that's the offense doing that, not the defense).

I'm willing to believe that injuries are a major cause of the defense's disappointing play thus far but people that are taking victory laps on Joe Barry are hanging their hats on two recent games against really bad offenses. By DVOA, the last 5 teams the Packers have played are all 16th or worst on offense and the defense has given up 28, 17, 22, 14, and 10 points against those teams.

We're going to see how good this defense really as the Packers play 3 top-10 offenses in the next 3 weeks and I will be absolutely thrilled if I have to come back in 3 weeks and say that Joe Barry has proven me to be completely wrong.

Thursday's game against Arizona was a terrific start of me being completely wrong.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers shorthanded defense played as well as possible last night. Coverage was good except for the last drive where Cardinal receivers were wide open for big gains.
Especially after the botched snap that made it 2nd and 18.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't adequately break down the scheme last night, to determine how much credit to attribute to Coach Gray. However, what I did see is that our DL dominated the Arizona offensive line. The OLBs were getting in there and all night, Murray has running for his life. That made things easier on the CBs. Campbell had another outstanding night as usual, I saw gang tackling, smart safety play, and more. The end wasn't pretty but how do you stop Kyler Murray when your DL is gassed and your CBs are outmatched.

The defense as a whole played well beyond expectations last night. Somehow that can be attributed to Jerry Gray. The question is how much.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't adequately break down the scheme last night, to determine how much credit to attribute to Coach Gray. However, what I did see is that our DL dominated the Arizona offensive line. The OLBs were getting in there and all night, Murray has running for his life. That made things easier on the CBs. Campbell had another outstanding night as usual, I saw gang tackling, smart safety play, and more. The end wasn't pretty but how do you stop Kyler Murray when your DL is gassed and your CBs are outmatched.

The defense as a whole played well beyond expectations last night. Somehow that can be attributed to Jerry Gray. The question is how much.
Excellent post

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks!

I've been doing work around the house but have my headphones linked to my computer. I'm listening to all of the post-game press conference interviews. So far both Adrian Amos and Rasul Douglas have gone out of their way to tell the press how much they love playing for Jerry Gray. Amos said that Gray is like a mentor to the team. Douglas was extremely complimentary, putting the interview on hold to tell everyone what he means to the team. He's got a connection everyone and makes you feel like you've known him all your life. He said Gray made him feel safe and comfortable...in a good spot.

I wasn't out searching for good things to write about Gray. It was just luck, but I was struck with how both players really wanted to talk about Jerry Gray. You can't have enough of those types of coaches at the top of the coaching tree.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Probably not a ton. But I'm sure it helped to have an experienced, steady hand at the wheel.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry's defense is certainly an improvement over the previous DC's who shall remain unnamed. There's still a lot of work to do but he's getting the job done for now and that's what matters.

No such thing as an ugly win

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thursday's game against Arizona was a terrific start of me being completely wrong.
Remove NO game its 18.4 points per game the D has given up

With NO its 20.8 and thats good for 9th in points per game. Buffalo is first at 16.3

This Def sore spot is red zone...and thats with missing key players.

Rushing per game they are not good.
18th in yards per game
22nd in tds per game

But passing per game they are
7th in yards given up.
5th in interceptions
4th in sacks

Bottom 10 for tds

if the poor red zone can be locked down...watch out..

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will admit, I was a sceptic....but the Def is playing lights out. I'm excited!

And when Z and Jaire Back ... we'll be super awesome!
That could be true but the injury train keeps chugging down the tracks. Defense is playing great but you do need talent on the field instead of the tub.

Reaction score
Will admit, I was a sceptic....but the Def is playing lights out. I'm excited!

And when Z and Jaire Back ... we'll be super awesome!
That’s what’s impressive to me. IF we get those 2 back healthy by playoffs?
watch out!
18.0 per game allowed!
15.8 per game allowed since week 2!!
This is the best group we’ve had since..
I dare say 2010

I’ll give Barry credit where credit due. He just needs to maintain being stingy. Obviously Wilson was semi injured and it was snowing. But 0 points is 0 points!