Defense under Barry

Reaction score
I think the brunt of this lies with how Keke fairs, if he continues to progress and Lowry doesn't regress this group even without discussing whether Slaton can give valuable snaps will no doubt be better.

I see the DL hinging on the health and continued progression of Keke...which we won't know until actual games start.
I didn’t read that until I posted above. But yes both Keke and Gary are 3rd year players. That’s an area we typically see a production jump, just in general.

D

Deleted member 6794

That’s understandable. No splash signings.
I will however state that GB has not regressed either. Just some of the things I’m seeing.. Preston and Z’darius have played lots of Edge roles on that DL and both are back and in contract years.
I really don’t see Keke or Gary regressing whatsoever. Actually both are 3rd year players, which is an area that we often see that position reach new plateaus. I expect Keke or Gary will bring production up a notch this season.
We’ve also got a few players making pushes to receive some Rookie playing time with Heflin and Slaton. I think our DL floor is similar to 2020, but our ceiling was raised slightly.

I don't believe the defensive line has regressed either but after last season improving the unit should have been an emphasis for this year. Maybe Slaton will be an upgrade.

I'm not talking about edge rushers, therefore the Smiths and Gary shouldn't be considered in the discussion.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was testing to see if I could post pictures.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

By the way, that's Sonny and Cher and their daughter at the ******* Club in Lake Geneva Circ 1968. And yes it has nothing to do with the Packers.
I was at that club just a few years later.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe the defensive line has regressed either but after last season improving the unit should have been an emphasis for this year. Maybe Slaton will be an upgrade.

I'm not talking about edge rushers, therefore the Smiths and Gary shouldn't be considered in the discussion.
I still do not think we have enough on the DL to stop the inside run. If it is 4th and 1 I would bet on the other team on offense.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Quietly, Barry's defense has averaged 15.75 points against per game in the past 4 games. For context, the Bills and Cardinals lead the league at 16.3 points against per game. So that 15.75 would be good for the best in the league if it were extrapolated over the first 7 weeks of this NFL season.

Obviously there were a couple of 30 burgers in the first couple weeks of the season, but largely the Packers defense has been more than solid (minus red zone stops) since the 2nd half of the Detroit game.

I was against the Barry hire, and I'm still not overly crazy about it, but you cannot argue with the numbers. The offense hasn't been clicking on all cylinders, so this defensive production has been crucial to getting to 6-1.

The past 4 games haven't exactly been murderer's row of offensive firepower as a whole, but it did include the Bengals who just dropped 41 on the Ravens.

I have to give credit when due. We will know more as we get tested against the likes of the Cardinals and Chiefs, but to do what we've done without key guys in a lot of these games, it really speaks to how well Barry and his staff have done so far.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quietly, Barry's defense has averaged 15.75 points against per game in the past 4 games. For context, the Bills and Cardinals lead the league at 16.3 points against per game. So that 15.75 would be good for the best in the league if it were extrapolated over the first 7 weeks of this NFL season.

Obviously there were a couple of 30 burgers in the first couple weeks of the season, but largely the Packers defense has been more than solid (minus red zone stops) since the 2nd half of the Detroit game.

I was against the Barry hire, and I'm still not overly crazy about it, but you cannot argue with the numbers. The offense hasn't been clicking on all cylinders, so this defensive production has been crucial to getting to 6-1.

The past 4 games haven't exactly been murderer's row of offensive firepower as a whole, but it did include the Bengals who just dropped 41 on the Ravens.

I have to give credit when due. We will know more as we get tested against the likes of the Cardinals and Chiefs, but to do what we've done without key guys in a lot of these games, it really speaks to how well Barry and his staff have done so far.
To be fair the D has done better since the Saints game. The offense has as well. We do have to consider that Detroit Pittsburgh Chicago Washington and to an extent Cincinnati are not scoring juggernauts. Now starts the fun. Our offense needs to put up more than 30 to have a chance to win against these teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Packers haven't faced any good offenses aside of the Bengals over the last four games there's no doubt the defense has played pretty well lately. It will be interesting to see how they fare against better opponents.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers haven't faced any good offenses aside of the Bengals over the last four games there's no doubt the defense has played pretty well lately. It will be interesting to see how they fare against better opponents.
I think a lot of it was due to Barry not wanting to overwhelm his defense through the first few games. I expected that to happen but wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround with schemes and adjustments, so that has been great to see. However, I do sense a Capers vibe from him and fear that he will become complacement in year 3

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quietly, Barry's defense has averaged 15.75 points against per game in the past 4 games.

Great points and post. I was not a Barry fan and remain skeptical but I do have to give him and his defense credit. He has some of his studs on the injury list and they've battled through to some wins. A loss to the Cardinals, not saying the will, won't dampen my hopes for this team to make another deep run in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Great points and post. I was not a Barry Dan and remain skeptical but I do have to give him and his defense credit. He has some of his studs on the injury list and they've battled through to some wins. A loss to the Cardinals, not saying the will, won't dampen my hopes for this team to make another deep run in the playoffs.
I dare you to stay in the shoutbox thread and maintain this stance against all the doom & gloom posters if the game goes south.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dare you to stay in the shoutbox thread and maintain this stance against all the doom & gloom posters if the game goes south.

Like I said, I wasn't a Barry fan. Didn't think it was a great hire but I trust ML's judgment and direction of his program. The injuries sure haven't helped and the depth of the D had been severely stressed. I'm hopeful that this adversity early, will build a stronger team, especially if they get their studs back. To he honest, it's kind of amazing to look up at the scoreboard and see that the D has stifled their opponents. In game, you would think they wee getting run up and down the field, but they've held their own lately. Credit where credit is due.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never felt that the early Barry criticism was warranted. It almost always takes half a season at least for a DC to get his system working smoothly. While there were no major changes from Pettine's defense, there certainly are minor scheme and communication changes that take time to understand.

As pointed out above, we've been graced with some average offenses while we deal with injuries. The more high-powered offenses will be the real test. Scheme can overcome talent to a degree, but not as much as we likely need against AZ and KC.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.But you are not going to hold Arizona to less than 27 unless they forget to show up and make a ton of mistakes. We have to score 35 or more. And against that pass rush and no Adams...Yikes. Run the football and try to move the chains.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.But you are not going to hold Arizona to less than 27 unless they forget to show up and make a ton of mistakes. We have to score 35 or more. And against that pass rush and no Adams...Yikes. Run the football and try to move the chains.
Maybe ML tries to shorten the game with a power running game?

D

Deleted member 6794

I never felt that the early Barry criticism was warranted. It almost always takes half a season at least for a DC to get his system working smoothly. While there were no major changes from Pettine's defense, there certainly are minor scheme and communication changes that take time to understand.

I think the criticism of Barry was mostly based on the lack of success during his previous stints as a defensive coordinator. While I wasn't a fan of him being hired he has done better than expected so far.

While that's possible the Niners defense possibly gave a blueprint on how to contain the Cardinals offense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe ML tries to shorten the game with a power running game?
I said that before I knew of Lazar. Now we lose a blocker and special teams tackler as well. So yes. We play this like weaker teams do against us. Shorten the number of possessions. Move the chains 11 play drives.Hard to do. Run the ball. Short quick ones. Motion. Kick FGs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Tennessee fans were saying this same thing last week?
No. They were confident they could win and still slow the Chiefs up. And they had KC's number last year. The Chiefs D is much weaker than the Cardinals. They knew they could run the football and keep Mahommes off the field enough.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the criticism of Barry was mostly based on the lack of success during his previous stints as a defensive coordinator. While I wasn't a fan of him being hired he has done better than expected so far.

While that's possible the Niners defense possibly gave a blueprint on how to contain the Cardinals offense.
Niners usually have a solid defense if their offense does not put them out there all day. The best you can do to AZ is to control the line of scrimmage, stop the run, get pressure on Murray with 4, and hope your back 7 can cover long enough.

Members online