Defending Janis

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So your point is he's progressed because new and exciting mistakes are being committed and reported?

Evidence of absence is not a absence of evidence for him not committing the mistakes earlier. Unless you're taking it on faith.

Evidence of absence can be used to weaken an assertion, in this case that he's making the same mistakes.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's truly ridiculous to assume Janis has made significant progress because he's making mistakes reading a defense as it's part of running the correct route!!!

So what is MM referring to here,

"“Great kid, hard-working, very powerful,” McCarthy said. “But there were just a lot of things, when he does them, they’re for the first time. Hopefully we’re out of that phase of his development. I look for Jeff to take that next step. He made the step in your second year that you look for. He did it first on special teams.”

What are these things that he's been doing for the first time, break dancing? Maybe badminton? How about lawn bowling?

It's called player progression for a reason. Aaron Rodgers was critiqued by some fans for a lack of appreciable progress in his first seasons started. But the stats didn't reveal that AR went from pretty much only throwing to one side of the field at a time, lots of flood plays, and scripted plays to becoming a real veteran signal caller with increasing pre-snap responsibilities.

The critiques of Janis' practices last year focused on other parts of his game. That's new and exotic mistakes, as RR pithily refers to them suggests that the Coaches are giving him more to work with. This isn't a new and mysterious concept.

D

Deleted member 6794

So what is MM referring to here,

"“Great kid, hard-working, very powerful,” McCarthy said. “But there were just a lot of things, when he does them, they’re for the first time. Hopefully we’re out of that phase of his development. I look for Jeff to take that next step. He made the step in your second year that you look for. He did it first on special teams.”

What are these things that he's been doing for the first time, break dancing? Maybe badminton? How about lawn bowling?

It's called player progression for a reason. Aaron Rodgers was critiqued by some fans for a lack of appreciable progress in his first seasons started. But the stats didn't reveal that AR went from pretty much only throwing to one side of the field at a time, lots of flood plays, and scripted plays to becoming a real veteran signal caller with increasing pre-snap responsibilities.

The critiques of Janis' practices last year focused on other parts of his game. That's new and exotic mistakes, as RR pithily refers to them suggests that the Coaches are giving him more to work with. This isn't a new and mysterious concept.

Nobody is arguing that Janis had a lot of progress to make entering the NFL after he played college football at Saginaw Valley State.

The problem being is that he still makes the same mistakes as during his first two seasons with the team. Reading a defense is part of running correct routes and the coaches have been trying to teach him how to do it since he first stepped foot on a practice field in Green Bay.

You acting like it's something that he hasn't been asked to do during his first two years is perplexing.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is arguing that Janis had a lot of progress to make entering the NFL after he played college football at Saginaw Valley State.

The problem being is that he still makes the same mistakes as during his first two seasons with the team. Reading a defense is part of running correct routes and the coaches have been trying to teach him how to do it since he first stepped foot on a practice field in Green Bay.

You acting like it's something that he hasn't been asked to do during his first two years is perplexing.

In the Packer scheme yes, but it doesn't quite match how his progress has been described. The press and fan base have been obsessive over Janis, we should have new fodder to interpret from the coaches in short order. Will they that he's progressing or will they say that he needs to do more? Or both perhaps.

D

Deleted member 6794

In the Packer scheme yes, but it doesn't quite match how his progress has been described. The press and fan base have been obsessive over Janis, we should have new fodder to interpret from the coaches in short order.

I don't really care about how Janis' progress is described. As long as he doesn't reduce his mental mistakes he won't get any meaningful playing time.

I have never understood the fan base's obsession with him and aside of two Hail Mary catches in Arizona he hasn't done anything justifying it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Evidence of absence can be used to weaken an assertion, in this case that he's making the same mistakes.

So because new mistakes are being reported he's progressed? Got it. Even though reading the defense is apart of route running in the NFL and that's been reported over and over again.

I really need to find a tag line to throw on every one of these posts cause Cult of Janis just might not be good enough..... "There's a Shark over there. You might want to jump it"..... Don't worry I'll think of something

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So because new mistakes are being reported he's progressed? Got it. Even though reading the defense is apart of route running in the NFL and that's been reported over and over again.

I really need to find a tag line to throw on every one of these posts cause Cult of Janis just might not be good enough..... "There's a Shark over there. You might want to jump it"..... Don't worry I'll think of something

In more sophisticated offenses yes but not all NFL offenses, I'm going to say this one more time, player progression. If the coaches are happy with his progression they'll say as much, if he's performing below expectations in camp they'll say it to shut the fans up.

I'm in the cult of "let's wait and see." You on the other hand, Captain Reasonable, you've already divined this player's future haven't you?

D

Deleted member 6794

In more sophisticated offenses yes but not all NFL offenses, I'm going to say this one more time, player progression. If the coaches are happy with his progression they'll say as much, if he's performing below expectations in camp they'll say it to shut the fans up.

Every wide receiver in the NFL has to be able to read a defense to run routes correctly on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong I would love for Janis to succeed but him still making too many mental mistakes has me concerned he will ever be able to contribute in a significant way.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm in the cult of "let's wait and see." You on the other hand, Captain Reasonable, you've already divined this player's future haven't you?

Actually me and Captain have stated repeatedly that we're both hopefull for him develop but we'd just prefer to see him actually progress before jumping to conclusions.

You can't say your in the wait and see group when your jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
...Adams and Janis struggling early in training camp has me concerned as well, especially as the Packers don't have another experienced receiver on the roster best suited to play on the outside opposite of Nelson.
Was Greg Jennings size best suited to play outside? IIRC Abby is taller and a few pounds heavier. Just a step slower. If his body can handle the beating ... Then again a concussion is a concussion and no physical preparation is possible for that. I'll grant the lack of experience qualifier.

D

Deleted member 6794

Was Greg Jennings size best suited to play outside? IIRC Abby is taller and a few pounds heavier. Just a step slower. If his body can handle the beating ... Then again a concussion is a concussion and no physical preparation is possible for that. I'll grant the lack of experience qualifier.

Size isn't the only requirement for a receiver best suited to play outside. Abbrederis route tree as well as his lack of physicality makes him a better fit to line up in the slot. Unfortunately that will most likely result in him taking more of a beating than on the perimeter.

Maybe him adding some weight this offseason increase his chances of contributing on the outside as well.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not looking good for him so far, but it's really early. Haven't even played a preseason game yet. But it's not a great sign where things are at.

In the end he probably ends up in his usual spot, near the back of the WR depth chart, on the team for special teams play.

He'd be a guy I would be terrified going somewhere else and lighting it up if cut.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not looking good for him so far, but it's really early. Haven't even played a preseason game yet. But it's not a great sign where things are at.

In the end he probably ends up in his usual spot, near the back of the WR depth chart, on the team for special teams play.

He'd be a guy I would be terrified going somewhere else and lighting it up if cut.

I don't know, if you can't light it up with one of the best QBs in the league throwing you the ball how good are his chances elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know, if you can't light it up with one of the best QBs in the league throwing you the ball how good are his chances elsewhere.

It's possible Janis would light it up in a system that isn't predicated upon perfection. He will be responsible for several incompletions and interceptions as well though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible Janis would light it up in a system that isn't predicated upon perfection. He will be responsible for several incompletions and interceptions as well though.
Sounds like the perfect candidate to be a Jay Cutler target.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's always been better under the lights, we'll see if he can get anything done.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's always been better under the lights, we'll see if he can get anything done.

"He's always been better under the lights" to the tune of 4 career catches for 95 career yards in the regular season and 1 great drive in the playoffs. I would use different wording when describing him "under the lights"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Many things are possible but I wouldn't expect it and I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is it for Janis. This is as good as it gets , as far as it goes, and it ain't good enough.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is it for Janis. This is as good as it gets , as far as it goes, and it ain't good enough.

Too stiff, not an instinctive player or natural catcher. He gets behind the defense enough, but he's had a hell of a time actually catching the ball so far in camp.

Some guys are so natural and fluid that even when they're slow they manage to get open, Janis when you watch him run his routes he doesn't look very pretty doing it.

Last edited:

Members online