Davon House comes back to the Packers!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no issues with this signing. As House is better than Randal or Rollins or Gunter.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Another "freebie" non-compensatory affecting signing for TT. I know some are going to shoot back to stop bringing that up and it has nothing to do with anything, but IMO its TT's MO....he values draft picks. Right now he has built up the max of 4 comp. picks for 2018, so TT has to be smiling like a cheshire cat.

I just hope those extra picks turn out to be gold. Lately his picks havent been much productive. I see it as more pellets in the shotgun to hit the bird. Better chance to land on someone good but no guarantees.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's had some really good ones, Sitton and Daniels. RRodgers has been ok, thought he'd be more because of his hands, but just a solid #2 guy. and it's too early to draw a conclusion on lowery or Martinez. Lowery was showing some stuff at the end of the year and Martinez looked the part before having injury set him back. I'm thinking at least one becomes a regular productive defender.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House signed a one year deal for approximately $3.5 million. Obviousky not the cornerback I wanted the Packers to sign.
For 3.5 he is a steal imo. I hate these 1 year prove it deals... alot of times they do prove it. And then they leave...or in Perry's case we knew what we had. I would have gave him a solid 40 MIL/ 5 yr deal and shook the dice that he will not continue to be injured. And he will continue to get better...... instead he still gets injured and we pay him 12 a yr....

Tt can be a penny pincher and conservative. In this situation he watched a player for 4 years, and still wasn't sure??? I was sure... I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with 12 a yr.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For 3.5 he is a steal imo. I hate these 1 year prove it deals... alot of times they do prove it. And then they leave...or in Perry's case we knew what we had. I would have gave him a solid 40 MIL/ 5 yr deal and shook the dice that he will not continue to be injured. And he will continue to get better...... instead he still gets injured and we pay him 12 a yr....

Tt can be a penny pincher and conservative. In this situation he watched a player for 4 years, and still wasn't sure??? I was sure... I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with 12 a yr.

Be careful what you wish for, people will be quick to point out all of the guys who didn't work out on a "prove it deal". You can roll the dice, but you also have to be prepared to crap out.

The second part of your comment is actually kind of funny when you stop and think about what you said. You say TT needs to stop being a penny pincher and you were sure about Perry.....yet, you aren't sure about signing him for what the market seemed to bring his value to.

Welcome to high stakes poker, NFL style.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for, people will be quick to point out all of the guys who didn't work out on a "prove it deal". You can roll the dice, but you also have to be prepared to crap out.
Thompson will let good veterans go over a MIL or two... one of my all time favorite dlinemen Cullen Jenkins was one that will always come to mind...but for instance this year... Lacy.

But he will spend an extra $20 MIL by allowing Perry to hit free agency, not once but twice...now we pay full retail price...

Doesn't make sense to me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thompson will let good veterans go over a MIL or two... one of my all time favorite dlinemen Cullen Jenkins was one that will always come to mind...but for instance this year... Lacy.

But he will spend an extra $20 MIL by allowing Perry to hit free agency, not once but twice...now we pay full retail price...

This is hindsight analysis. Perry never showed that he was worth the long term investment until this last season. Had TT given him a long term extension before 2016, fans would have called for his head. It turns out it's a lot easier to make the perfect decisions after everything has already happened.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is hindsight analysis. Perry never showed that he was worth the long term investment until this last season. Had TT given him a long term extension before 2016, fans would have called for his head. It turns out it's a lot easier to make the perfect decisions after everything has already happened.
Go back and read my posts about Perry. I seen his breakout coming long time ago. If Ted had the idea that he would be willing to go up to 12mil a yr . Then he should have locked him in on a speculation bargain last year for 8 or most likely less. Can't hardly believe we paid him 12 a yr after he got injured again... but I'm optimistic.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Go back and read my posts about Perry. I seen his breakout coming long time ago. If Ted had the idea that he would be willing to go up to 12mil a yr . Then he should have locked him in on a speculation bargain last year for 8 or most likely less. Can't hardly believe we paid him 12 a yr after he got injured again... but I'm optimistic.

Well I don't know what you seen or what you didn't seen, but it seemed eminently reasonable to give an oft injured underachiever a prove it deal.

But what I really don't understand is why people think 12M is exorbitant. Players with multiple seasons of Perry's 2016 level production are getting 16+.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I don't know what you seen or what you didn't seen, but it seemed eminently reasonable to give an oft injured underachiever a prove it deal.

But what I really don't understand is why people think 12M is exorbitant. Players with multiple seasons of Perry's 2016 level production are getting 16+.
It's not unreasonable. But it is full retail for an often injured player... great or not...

And that's my only point. Don't stand there for two years watching free agency come, and eventually smack you right between the eyes, like you didn't see it coming. You make the call and you lock them in.

That's $20MIL difference from 8/yr to 12/yr. Over 5 years... like I said. Tt watches him for 4 years and don't know what he has??? Ted needs to put me on the payroll. :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not unreasonable. But it is full retail for an often injured player... great or not...

And that's my only point. Don't stand there for two years watching free agency come, and eventually smack you right between the eyes, like you didn't see it coming. You make the call and you lock them in.

That's $20MIL difference from 8/yr to 12/yr. Over 5 years... like I said. Tt watches him for 4 years and don't know what he has??? Ted needs to put me on the payroll. :)
So you were right on one player one time? If you were wrong it gets buried in the archives. But you were right so you get to gloat. How many players were you wrong on over the past 2-3 years? Ted is in a public spotlight with real money on the line. Enjoy your I-told-you-so's.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I don't know exactly what you mean by "full retail" but the injury risk is built into the price. He has a chance to make that number a bargain.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you were right on one player one time? If you were wrong it gets buried in the archives. But you were right so you get to gloat. How many players were you wrong on over the past 2-3 years? Ted is in a public spotlight with real money on the line. Enjoy your I-told-you-so's.
I am. I only brought it up to prove a point. If I can tell... why can't tt?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you mean by "full retail" but the injury risk is built into the price. He has a chance to make that number a bargain.
Full retail price.

Anyways... it's the norm. 1 year prove it deals... Seattle and lacy today.... 1 yr 5.55mil. If they would have offered him 3 yrs, he would've taken it I bet... then next year they will have to pay him 7,8,maybe9 MIL. If he goes beast mode...

Is the insurance worth that much??? 7-10 MIL over 3 yrs. I don't think so.

On the other side. He gets 3 yr deal and sucks from day 1. The second two years (since he got the 1 yr deal no matter what...)he is worth only veteran backup money, say 2.5 MIL. Getting paid 5.55mil though... that's a 6 MIL loss you could say.

You still have the risk of him playing well the first year. Getting the deal. And getting lazy... now not only are you paying more with the prove it deal. But you get less still...

Again on the other side. Lacy could sign a 3 yr deal today and play worth 9 while making 5.55... essentially the best scenario getting Seattle +10MIL in extra value for their risky 3 yr deal.....

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why do people think Perry was willing to sign a long term deal during this season. He signed a prove it deal last year and once he started to prove it he was going to hit the open market unless gb Gabe what he thought he could get on the market. These players don't have dumb agents. They look at how many pass rushers are likely to hit free agency and where their client will be rated. The reality with fa is it isn't about how you compare to the league it is about how you compare to the other fas. Look at what some of the very average lts got this year! Bahk got an average of 12 million a year in New money. That is almost the same as Riley rieff who is nowhere near the player Bahk is. The Packers got lucky Bahk was willing to sign during the season. If it was all about money to Bahk he made a bad move.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people think Perry was willing to sign a long term deal during this season. He signed a prove it deal last year and once he started to prove it he was going to hit the open market unless gb Gabe what he thought he could get on the market. These players don't have dumb agents. They look at how many pass rushers are likely to hit free agency and where their client will be rated. The reality with fa is it isn't about how you compare to the league it is about how you compare to the other fas. Look at what some of the very average lts got this year! Bahk got an average of 12 million a year in New money. That is almost the same as Riley rieff who is nowhere near the player Bahk is. The Packers got lucky Bahk was willing to sign during the season. If it was all about money to Bahk he made a bad move.

I would have been looking to sign Perry long term when he got the 1 yr prove it deal... I remember at the time thinking,dang! Perry got 5.5 MIL?!?! Thought it was high but we'll worth the risk... so 4 yr 22mil could have stuck I bet....

I don't know... I just don't like the 1 yr deals...it's a bandaid fix. And even if they do good. They are high priced the next year...

D

Deleted member 6794

House was a solid boundary corner in 2014. If he's still that player now that he's back, it will undoubtedly be helpful. He isn't the #1 corner that we all would love to see, but he should be a capable pro. If you can replace a practice squad caliber player with that kind of veteran, you're helping yourself.

I've posted this elsewhere, but per PFF House had the following stats in his last year in GB:

47 targets, 47% completion, 3 TD, 1 INT, 8 PD, and only 2 completions of 20+ yards.

House posted that numbers as the fourth cornerback on the Packers depth chart though. Unfortunately it seems the team wants him to be a starter next season after he only played 25% of the defensive snaps for a mediocre pass defense in Jacksonville.

All we need is another CB in the draft with speed who can cover number one receivers on the boundaries and we should be set. Round one or two should do the trick

Unfortunately drafting a cornerback immediately capable of covering opposing top receivers isn't that easy, especially with picking 29th in every round.

I'm guessing it'll be Randall and House on the outside with Rollins and Gunter inside?

That is an absolutely scary thought.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just to keep things in perspective, that $4mil/yr is 2.4% of this year's cap and you can see yourself (with the flurry of arrivals and departures at GB) what that would have bought (hint: not much). Would it have been better not to have paid more IF they could have locked him up earlier and cheaper, sure. Did everyone think Clay's contract was OK in allowing us to keep the beast he was at the time, sure. Is there a reason the contracts aren't determined by computer, sure.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you smoking?

EVERYBODY saw Perry's potential from Day 1. What everybody also saw was consistent injury that severely limited his ability to develop his potential. All he did in 2015 was play one good playoff game against Washington and you think that warranted a long-term deal? He had a broken wrist in 2012, a broken foot in 2013, bad shoulder injuries in 2014 and 2015, broken finger also in 2015, and a broken hand in 2016.

Locking Perry up to a long term deal after 2015 would have been ridiculous. The 1-year prove it contract was exactly conceived for a player like Perry. NFL history is filled with injury-prone players that had breakout potential. I'm still not convinced that Perry is worth the money versus his injury history. If he had a fat contract in had last season, he would have been on IR with that broken hand. He did it for the contract and it worked. Now we have to see if he can stay healthy long enough for the contract he got.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will be decent depth as our 4th cb behind Randall, Rollins, and Gunter. But I feel like we could've found a player with similar production but higher upside in the draft. At least he's a vet though. This singing does nothing for me as far as moving the needle in one direction or another.
Behind Randall, Rollins and Gunter?!??!? I would die House more credit than that! I'm sure we WILL find a player or 2 with higher upside in the draft. I'm just still stuck on your comment about being #4 behind Huey, Duey and Louie.

Members online

Latest posts