Davon House comes back to the Packers!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House takes Shields spot as the vet on the roster now - likely a starter and playing for his next contract. He'll have every reason to compete to start. I like the move.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
House was a solid boundary corner in 2014. If he's still that player now that he's back, it will undoubtedly be helpful. He isn't the #1 corner that we all would love to see, but he should be a capable pro. If you can replace a practice squad caliber player with that kind of veteran, you're helping yourself.

I've posted this elsewhere, but per PFF House had the following stats in his last year in GB:

47 targets, 47% completion, 3 TD, 1 INT, 8 PD, and only 2 completions of 20+ yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
House isn't the signing I was hoping for 2 weeks ago, but today, he is probably the best the Packers could have hoped for. I still don't think they are done or at least shouldn't be done in the FA department at CB, but anyone else signed is going to now be for depth and maybe a way to move Rollins over to the position vacated by Hyde.

Reaction score
Good depth move, hopefully more still in store at CB.
Couldn't agree more. We added some experience to the position, with a player who is familiar with green bays system. All we need is another CB in the draft with speed who can cover number one receivers on the boundaries and we should be set. Round one or two should do the trick

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm certain another CB will be added in the first or second round of the draft as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What this signing allows is TT a little flex if not signing anyone else heading into the draft. House is instantly worst case is one of our two outside starters.

He is still under 28 years old...has one more chance at a legit contract so motivation should be high.

Signing also doesn't mean we gotta think about reaching for a CB in the draft or overpaying someone in FA...granted neither is TT's style I bet it was on his mind.

Add a 1st through 3rd rounder to the mix or a good one that falls in the 4th and we are looking much better than last year even if Randal and Rollins continue to regress....which I doubt both are one hit wonders and won't repeat last year.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House has nothing to do with Hyde. House plays on the outside Hyde never did. Maybe signing house allows Randall to play more of a Hyde role but house and Hyde are entirely different players. This is a solid signing with very little risk. Still would like to see them add another cb before the draft or an Olb. I would like both but that won't happen

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn't the #1 corner that we all would love to see, but he should be a capable pro.
Dantes isn't the only one to say this, but I have to ask....who do you guys really expect to be our #1 CB?

Randall and Rollins have a lot to prove and maybe one of them will step into that roll. Gunter is a nickel/dime CB who had to play against the #1 WRs due to lack of depth. In my mind, House undoubtably will be covering the #1 WRs until somebody else takes his place.

I like this as a one year deal. It essentially allows House to play for another contract. It doesn't bind the Packers for a long spell and if Randall, Rollins, or both get better in Year 3 we won't need House in 2018.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dantes isn't the only one to say this, but I have to ask....who do you guys really expect to be our #1 CB?

I don't think even the Packers know the answer to that at this point. They might have their thoughts, but my guess is House was signed to compete with Randall and Rollins for that #1 spot. It might take until the last game of preseason before we have an answer. While I would have preferred a top FA CB signed, House's familiarity with Capers defense, some of his teammates and Green Bay in general makes this a better signing than another CB that would have been comparable in talent to House.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, we don't know it yet. However, as much as I hate to admit it - Rollins and Randall were a big dumpster fire and at this point of the offseason really are behind Gunter....and Gunter is a #4 or #5 CB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, we don't know it yet. However, as much as I hate to admit it - Rollins and Randall were a big dumpster fire and at this point of the offseason really are behind Gunter....and Gunter is a #4 or #5 CB.
Pretty pathetic huh? :(

But yes, Gunther should be in the mix as well as a rookie (or two/three) not to mention the possibility of Goodson, Hawkins, Dorleant and Waters. Lots of bodies, where the talent lies is the big unknown at this point.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to believe a cb will be taken with an early pick. Still would have liked one more cb in fa - even if I didn't like many of the options. I agree that house is our number 1 until Randall and Rollins pick up their game. That is scary

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packer's strategy is solidifying a opportunistic defense and making "key stops" or "situational stops" rather than creating an elite defense. Looks like TT is going all in on offense. Possibly a better version of last year's Atlanta Falcons. Not a bad strategy. However, with the money saved by letting go of all these free agents, why not make a play for Hightower?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the Packer's strategy is solidifying a opportunistic defense and making "key stops" or "situational stops" rather than creating an elite defense. Looks like TT is going all in on offense. Possibly a better version of last year's Atlanta Falcons. Not a bad strategy. However, with the money saved by letting go of all these free agents, why not make a play for Hightower?

I have heard a few people refer to "Packers are going all in of offense". I don't see that. They let Lang, Tretter, Lacy and Cook walk. They signed Bennett and Kendricks. While they did upgrade their TE's with that, they lost strength on the OL and still haven't figured out their RB situation. Going all in on offense might be what they do in the draft, but as of now, all I see TT doing is realizing AR still needs a playmaking TE and doubling up on it.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard a few people refer to "Packers are going all in of offense". I don't see that. They let Lang, Tretter, Lacy and Cook walk. They signed Bennett and Kendricks. While they did upgrade their TE's with that, they lost strength on the OL and still haven't figured out their RB situation. Going all in on offense might be what they do in the draft, but as of now, all I see TT doing is realizing AR still needs a playmaking TE and doubling up on it.

To be fair Lacy wasn't a part of the offense when it was phenomenal down the stretch. Nor was Tretter. Both were injured. Lang does need to be replaced though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Randall and Rollins have a lot to prove and maybe one of them will step into that roll. Gunter is a nickel/dime CB who had to play against the #1 WRs due to lack of depth. In my mind, House undoubtably will be covering the #1 WRs until somebody else takes his place.

I like this as a one year deal. It essentially allows House to play for another contract. It doesn't bind the Packers for a long spell and if Randall, Rollins, or both get better in Year 3 we won't need House in 2018.

I think there's a semantics issue going on here.

I don't really know who will end up being he top corner for the Packers-- House or someone else. But I was using the term "#1 corner" to refer to a caliber of player that a team would be happy with as their top guy. For example, your Petersons, Shermans, Trufants, etc.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Perhaps it's possible that the Packers want to go younger on the O-Line. Letting the vets go might be strategic or not a significant loss. Young lineman that are more athletic and agile, but still having size. Both TE's can chip block and run routes. Besides AR works best when going no huddle. Speed along the seams with 2 veteran TE sets helps with the rhythm of the offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be fair Lacy wasn't a part of the offense when it was phenomenal down the stretch. Nor was Tretter. Both were injured. Lang does need to be replaced though.

Agreed but nothing leads me to believe Thompson isn't doing anything with the offense more than status quo. I think Tretter is a bigger loss than some might want to think. While I would not have paid him what Cleveland did, he did start 7 games last year and when healthy, a very capable starter or backup at both G and C. Losing him along with Lang is a big hit to the OL in my opinion. But just like every year in GB, you hope next man up on the OL works out and in this case, its next "men" up.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed but nothing leads me to believe Thompson isn't doing anything with the offense more than status quo. I think Tretter is a bigger loss than some might want to think. While I would not have paid him what Cleveland did, he did start 7 games last year and when healthy, a very capable starter or backup at both G and C. Losing him along with Lang is a big hit to the OL in my opinion. But just like every year in GB, you hope next man up on the OL works out and in this case, its next "men" up.

In my opinion, we've been pretty darn good at plucking great guard and center play out of nowhere for cheap for a while now. I have faith that we can rebuild the line depth with a pick or two or even some udfa guys.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Tretter but my point was he wasn't on the active roster down the stretch when the offense was playing well. All they lost from that group is lang and cook. They replaced that with Bennett and Kendricks. Obviously guard needs to be addressed but te is a definite improvement and they will likely get another rb in the draft. That would also help the offense. The offense going to going be near the top of the league. The defense needs to get to the middle and that is a ways from where they are at

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love it. He knows the system and he's cheaper than Hyde although they are not the same player at all. We needed depth and this certainly helps. I'm guessing it'll be Randall and House on the outside with Rollins and Gunter inside?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, we've been pretty darn good at plucking great guard and center play out of nowhere for cheap for a while now. I have faith that we can rebuild the line depth with a pick or two or even some udfa guys.

This is very true. I think a lot of people forget that Kyle Murphy was highly touted by draft scouts last year. I think it's a possibility that they believe he could start should they need him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was highly touted, but he didn't look good to me in limited action last year. Needs to get stronger. We'll see what he looks like in the preseason, but he didn't exactly look the part last preseason. Spriggs had some good and bad. Murphy didn't do anything to impress me when he got in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Any news on CB Ross Cockrell? I know the Steelers placed an original-round (4th) tender on him but haven't heard if anyone has gone after him or he has agreed to terms with the Steelers. That would be another guy I hope TT is looking at.

Staff online

Members online