David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

H

HardRightEdge

Out with the old and in with new continues to be how Ted Thompson runs the Pack. Anyone not believing that need look no farther than Brett Favre.
At the risk of getting into this for the google-ith time (10 to the 100th power, not the search engine), the Packers would have been happy to stick with "the old" in Favre if he showed up for work on time in that fateful offseason. Favre's hemming and hawing eventually pushed the organization to a point of no return in a "we have to get on with planning for the season" moment. They tolerated Favre keeping the organization in limbo with past threats of retirement because of a lack of alternatives. Once they believed Rodgers was ready, it was time to put Favre's serial organizational hostage-holdings to an end.

H

HardRightEdge

I've realized that a lot of posters disagree with me about Tretter's ability to play guard. We have to wait until at least Linsley is healthy again to find out about the coaching staff's evaluation.
Linsley has a hamstring and he plays center in a tightly circumscribed area. The Packers rarely pull anymore. It's not like he's a wide receiver. He'll be playing football again.

At this point, assuming recovery, it would be extremely hard to pass up a decent starting player who comes that cheap.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At the risk of getting into this for the google-ith time (10 to the 100th power, not the search engine), the Packers would have been happy to stick with "the old" in Favre if he showed up for work on time in that fateful offseason. Favre's hemming and hawing eventually pushed the organization to a point of no return in a "we have to get on with planning for the season" moment. They tolerated Favre keeping the organization in limbo with past threats of retirement because of a lack of alternatives. Once they believed Rodgers was ready, it was time to put Favre's serial organizational hostage-holdings to an end.

There is a rumor floating around from Bill Michaels that when Brett tossed the int in the giants nfccg, a board of director in a suite screamed brett is done..

We can get anyone to loss a game.. He played his last game here.

I have heard rx this once b4.. But forgot l about it.. Maybe the board still had that power.

But was interesting

D

Deleted member 6794

Correct. I'd add R tackle as well since Tauscher retired.

Bulaga is a decent right tackle.

Linsley has a hamstring and he plays center in a tightly circumscribed area. The Packers rarely pull anymore. It's not like he's a wide receiver. He'll be playing football again.

At this point, assuming recovery, it would be extremely hard to pass up a decent starting player who comes that cheap.

There's no doubt in my mind Linsley will play football again. I wanted to point out that as long as he's injured we won't know about the coaching staff possibly feeling comfortable moving Tretter or him to guard.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. I'd add R tackle as well since Tauscher retired.

Clifton's last year with the Pack was 2011. Bak has been starting since 2013. Doesn't leave a whole lot of time waiting for a 'keeper'.

Bulaga started his career the same way as Bak, being thrown right in as a rookie and doing very well in what turned out to be a pretty important year for the team. I understand a term like 'keeper' can mean different things to different people, but I'd suggest that, since he's been the starting RT, when healthy (don't take this off-track), into his 7th year, he, by definition, is a 'keeper'.

H

HardRightEdge

...we won't know about the coaching staff possibly feeling comfortable moving Tretter or him to guard.
I see. That's certainly a possibility. We do seem to be forgetting first thing's first...Tretter has to be signed. He may be asking more than the Packers are willing to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One would have to think Jason Spriggs is in the Packers future plans on the OL. While he didn't have a spectacular camp or preseason, with the resigning of Bahk, its apparent the Packers don't see a future for him at starting LT. With Bulaga being able to play guard and under contract through 2019 as well as a hefty dead cap on his contract, I could envision the Packers sliding him to guard and playing Spriggs at RT. But that all depends on Spriggs and how much he can improve his game in the next year. That move would allow the Packers to let Lang walk and free up quite a lot of money in which to sign other guys.

H

HardRightEdge

There is a rumor floating around from Bill Michaels that when Brett tossed the int in the giants nfccg, a board of director in a suite screamed brett is done..

We can get anyone to loss a game.. He played his last game here.
I have heard rx this once b4.. But forgot l about it.. Maybe the board still had that power.

But was interesting
Well, I think you have to discount that since the intent was to have Favre back if he met the reasonable, minimal expectations of showing up for work on time, and then "later" was acceptable until the point of no return, while playing under the existing contract.

There are currently 43 members of the board of directors, 7 of whom are on the executive committee including Murphy. There must be a number of those directors who have marginal or no influence. As in any situation, it depends on who is doing the yelling, and if it isn't Murphy, which it evidently was not in this case, it may not matter much. Murphy functions as the CEO even if his title is merely "President" and we don't need to get into what that implies. One important qualification for that job in an organizational structure like the Packers would be to deflect kibitzing without pissing people off. Tough, tough job. However, he's paid far, far more than a CEO of a private sector $400 million/year revenue corporation would be paid, so I would expect all of the major bucks to stop in his office.

It would not surprise me if Ariens was doing the yelling. He strikes me as a guy who would be interested in buying the franchise if he could, with a sense of self-importance that may exceed his grasp. Some non-Executive Committee member may have little more clout than I do, which as you know equates to zero.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he wasn't the only person that yelled "Favre is done" :) I think my statement was more along the lines of WTF? but he looked cold and miserable in that game, and it ended they way a few of our good runs at going to the big game ended. He could have meant he was "done" as in, too old to play. He could have meant he was "done" in GB. He could have just been pissed off and yelled something that after further review, was probably just an overreaction and had no real meaning behind it at all.

H

HardRightEdge

One would have to think Jason Spriggs is in the Packers future plans on the OL.
Well, you know he's going to be around for 4 years on a cheap contract so they'll try find a spot for him sooner or later, with RT being the first position to ponder. But he's a work in progress...he'd have to build up that 6'6", 301 lb. frame he measured at the Combine to play RT especially. Bulking up is not as automatic as some fans believe. He may be at his optimal strength/athleticism balance right now, with compromises involved in adding more weight. This is one of those "we'll see next year" matters unless Bulaga gets injured and Spriggs is pressed into service over the other options.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Favre tells it a bit differently, and indicated he didn't feel the love anymore, and that he thought Green Bay was ready to move on. How exactly he came to that conclusion I can't say with certainty, but I have no reason to doubt that there is at least some truth behind it.

And perhaps Josh Sitton wasn't feeling the love either, which may have made him a pain to deal with, as some have reported. If he was 25 instead of thirty, I imagine things would have gone down differently. It's no coincidence Green Bay is the youngest team in the NFL, and seldom has cap issues - It's all by design. It's Ted.

H

HardRightEdge

Favre tells it a bit differently, and indicated he didn't feel the love anymore.
I can understand him "not feeling the love" when they told him they'd pay him but he'd be on the bench. Or after that, when they offered him some ungodly sum for an undefined front office position. Or at the beginning of the drama if they expressed growing impatience with him not showing up for work.

There is little doubt in my mind he would have been the starting QB if he had shown the requisite love himself by showing up on time and going to work like everybody else. Clearly there was a succession plan. Favre himself accelerated it. He abused his role as the face of the franchise and was handled accordingly. If he was not feeling love, that's perfectly understandable but also deserved.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Bulaga being able to play guard and under contract through 2019 as well as a hefty dead cap on his contract, I could envision the Packers sliding him to guard and playing Spriggs at RT.

Bulaga has never played guard in the NFL therefore it's tough to evaluate if he's able to perform at a high level at the position. As I've mentioned on several occasions I would prefer to line up a player best suited to play guard next to the center.

It's no coincidence Green Bay is the youngest team in the NFL, and seldom has cap issues - It's all by design. It's Ted.

While it's the general perception around here that the Packers are annually the youngest team in the league it's not true. This year they're ranked third.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2016-edition/

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been hearing about the Packers being a young team for several years now. Doesn't do a lot of good until those young players develope into a championship team. To the topic of this thread...$17M garaunteed for 5 years does not seem exorbitant

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand him "not feeling the love" when they told him they'd pay him but he'd be on the bench. Or after that, when they offered him some ungodly sum for an undefined front office position. Or at the beginning of the drama if they expressed growing impatience with him not showing up for work.

There is little doubt in my mind he would have been the starting QB if he had shown the requisite love himself by showing up on time and going to work like everybody else. Clearly there was a succession plan. Favre himself accelerated it. He abused his role as the face of the franchise and was handled accordingly. If he was not feeling love, that's perfectly understandable but also deserved.

My guess Ted was ready to move on: He drafted Rodgers in the first round, and Rodgers was about to be on the last year of his rookie deal. I'd be surprised if Ted didn't want to see what he had in #12 before allowing him to hit the street. He couldn't very well sign two quarterbacks to starter's money, so logically one had to go.

And one did. No surprise it was the older of the two, legend or not.

D

Deleted member 6794

To the topic of this thread...$17M garaunteed for 5 years does not seem exorbitant

Bakhtiari will receive another $10.7 million in roster and workout bonuses before the start of next season's training camp. Therefore basically $27.7 million are guaranteed.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's the general perception around here that the Packers are annually the youngest team in the league it's not true. This year they're ranked third./
2015 - 3rd youngest
2014 - 6th
2013 - 6th
2012 - 5th
2011 - 2nd
2010 - 6th
2006-2009 - Youngest

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Bakhtiari will receive another $10.7 million in roster and workout bonuses before the start of next season's training camp. Therefore basically $27.7 million are guaranteed.
So he's about a $13-14m cap hit next season just on bonuses? Plus I'd guess the league minimum annual $alary plus other incentives.

D

Deleted member 6794

So he's about a $13-14m cap hit next season just on bonuses? Plus I'd guess the league minimum annual $alary plus other incentives.

The numbers currently known suggest that Bakhtiari will at least count $20 million towards the cap in 2016 and '17. That's mind-boggling.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The numbers currently known suggest that Bakhtiari will at least count $20 million towards the cap in 2016 and '17. That's mind-boggling.

On the other forum I post on o keep hearing how we got him at market rate. Sorry I refuse to believe the market was going to pay Bakhtiari this much

D

Deleted member 6794

On the other forum I post on o keep hearing how we got him at market rate. Sorry I refuse to believe the market was going to pay Bakhtiari this much

Even if it's true other teams would have offered Bakhtiari a similar deal in free agency the Packers should have been able to either get a discount extending him early this season or wait until the coaching staff would have been able to make a fair evaluation of Spriggs potential to replace him in 2017.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if it's true other teams would have offered Bakhtiari a similar deal in free agency the Packers should have been able to either get a discount extending him early this season or wait until the coaching staff would have been able to make a fair evaluation of Spriggs potential to replace him in 2017.
everything you said right there I pointed out on the other forum and mocked. Ughhh

Members online

Latest posts