David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say right now, I like it. He has an opportunity to earn it, we'll see if he does it. Based on past performance, this is way too much. Based on his youth and potential to grow, this could be a good deal. I have my doubts, but I reserve the right to be wrong :)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari is under contract through 2020, which is 5 seasons until it expires. Over those 5 years he'll make (assuming he's not cut or retires) $53.366Mil = $10.67Mil/yr.

Whether you can comprehend the "mental gymnastics" of this extension that is the reality of the contract. The Packers didn't tear-up and replace this year, they added to it with another 4 years and are able to stretch bonus (cap) money over 5 years instead of just 4 if this was done after the season.

The 'new money' is over 4 years and 51.67M. The smaller salary this year would have been in place whether they extended him or not.

Rarely is the remaining years of a contract torn up and replaced. That wasn't even done when Rodgers got his $22M/year extension. They still ended up giving him the same amount he was scheduled to earn in the last 2 years of his previous deal.

The fact that he has been very underpaid relative to FA market value is pretty irrelevant as he was on a rookie contract and this applies to pretty much every starter ever on a rookie deal. That's no reason to pay him extra to compensate.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Bahk would get 10-11 million a year so this seems high. I think the people who bash Bahk havent really watched his play that closely especially in pass blocking. He is still really young and has room to improve. If his run blocking got to average this would be a good deal with his pass blocking being very solid. Still wish they could have done it for 10 million instead. Those saying 4-6 are crazy. He is right around the top 10 for LT and that salary is 10.3 million a year. He was going to get at least that too because of his age and his pass blocking in a pass happy league

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Bahk would get 10-11 million a year so this seems high. I think the people who bash Bahk havent really watched his play that closely especially in pass blocking. He is still really young and has room to improve. If his run blocking got to average this would be a good deal with his pass blocking being very solid. Still wish they could have done it for 10 million instead. Those saying 4-6 are crazy. He is right around the top 10 for LT and that salary is 10.3 million a year. He was going to get at least that too because of his age and his pass blocking in a pass happy league

Even with all that though locking him up this early in the season should come at a discount from the 10.3 you suggest. Hense why 12 is so bad cause even at market price there's little benifit to signing him this early in the year versus letting it play out much like we did with Daniels just last year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it inexplicable that Bahk wouldn't have accepted an 11M per year extension an entire season out, at the very most.

I sometimes wonder how Thompson negotiates with his existing players and their agents. 'Just write down the number you want on this piece of paper and slide it over to me.'

They let Bulaga go to free agency, he couldn't do better, he came back, and he ended up with HALF of this.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it inexplicable that Bahk wouldn't have accepted an 11M per year extension an entire season out, at the very most.

I sometimes wonder how Thompson negotiates with his existing players and their agents. 'Just write down the number you want on this piece of paper and slide it over to me.'

They let Bulaga go to free agency, he couldn't do better, he came back, and he ended up with HALF of this.

Yep. Its nuts.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with all that though locking him up this early in the season should come at a discount from the 10.3 you suggest. Hense why 12 is so bad cause even at market price there's little benifit to signing him this early in the year versus letting it play out much like we did with Daniels just last year.

Unless the Packers think he is actually better than a top 10 tackle. What if his pass blocking stays top 5 like it was according to PFF? Then do you think he is really only getting 10 million a year? Again I dont love the 12 number. But he really is becoming a top 10 type left tackle and he is very young. I think he easily sees 10 million on the open market probably more from a LT hungry franchise. 10 was the team discount to me. When you see that 10 other LT make you 10 million a year and his age and pass blocking anything less than 10 was a pipe dream.

Like I said dont love the deal at 12. Wanted it at 10. Could have seen 11. 1-2 million more adds up if it happens on numerous contracts though

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bulaga is a RT. No RT has a cap hit over 8.1 million this season. Bulaga is paid as the 9th highest RT but under a half million from being number 4.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he has been very underpaid relative to FA market value is pretty irrelevant as he was on a rookie contract and this applies to pretty much every starter ever on a rookie deal. That's no reason to pay him extra to compensate.
Prior to this extension Bakhtiari was the 46th highest paid LT in the league. He's been a starter from game 1 of his rookie year. You're telling us that this extension isn't a "make-up" for past underpayment? IMHO that factored heavily into the negotiations, although none of us are privy to that.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His most recent games obviously.

Take a look back at the end of last season and you will not see him getting beat often. That's a fact, but I know somehow you will disagree with it anyway.

You dont know the first thing about what i will or will not do, boy.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prior to this extension Bakhtiari was the 46th highest paid LT in the league. He's been a starter from game 1 of his rookie year. You're telling us that this extension isn't a "make-up" for past underpayment? IMHO that factored heavily into the negotiations, although none of us are privy to that.

That's something I had never thought about regarding a new contract. It's a good point.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the insane deals free agents had last off-season (see anyone signed during the 1st day of free agency), Bahk for sure would have gotten more in free agency.

I agree but I wouldnt say that means the Packers got a good deal here. Just because a poorly run franchise, in desperate need of a LT, would give Bahk a 13 million a year deal doesnt mean the Packers getting him for 12 is a good deal. The Packers still paid a premium here and I think some are justified to think 10 million or so would have been good. Anyone thinking under 10 is wishful thinking or simply doesnt think Bahk is any good. Again now 11 left tackles make 10 million plus a year. Bahk was going to be paid as a top 10 tackle no doubt

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but doesn't Ball handle the contract negotiations? Does Thompson decide when we are going to extend a player's contract and let Ball handle the numbers (within certain parameters) or does Thompson also dictate the contract terms? Just curious.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but doesn't Ball handle the contract negotiations? Does Thompson decide when we are going to extend a player's contract and let Ball handle the numbers (within certain parameters) or does Thompson also dictate the contract terms? Just curious.
I'm pretty sure your right. Ball is the contract and cap guy. I'm sure Thompson gets involved but I think Ball works out the numbers.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's something I had never thought about regarding a new contract. It's a good point.

So basically, overpay to keep every single player that you want to retain after their rookie deal to 'make up' for their rookie contract? All starters on rookie deals are highly underpaid. Every single one of them.

If our philosophy/approach is to overcompensate our own players for their low rookie contracts that everyone in the NFL gets because of the CBA, I hate to find out what guys like Lacy, Randall, and Clinton-Dix are going to eventually get.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So basically, overpay to keep every single player that you want to retain after their rookie deal to 'make up' for their rookie contract? All starters on rookie deals are highly underpaid. Every single one of them.

If our philosophy/approach is to overcompensate our own players for their low rookie contracts that everyone in the NFL gets because of the CBA, I hate to find out what guys like Lacy, Randall, and Clinton-Dix are going to eventually get.

In today's NFL with free agent contracts getting insanely high, teams either overpay a player or don't keep him. Maybe the recent rookie pay scale is part of the reason.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a five year hitch guys. Wherever his contract is ranked now, it's going to be way lower very, very soon. LT is a premium position and Bak is good at the most important thing to this offense, pass blocking. Somehow he always manages to get the best of Ziggy Ansah which is a nice benefit. One or two seasons from now there are going to be another five or six or more contracts with bigger numbers than his and you'll read an article here and there about what a bargain he is.

Also, keep in mind that it's not easy to find guys that can hold up at LT, much less play at a decent/good level. Look at what the Jags and Chiefs are dealing with. They take LTs with the first two picks and one of them just got kicked to guard and the other has been moved back and forth to RT because he's not that great. People keep mentioning Marshall Newhouse, but as lousy as he was, he's still a starting tackle in this league. If they let Bak walk for the price of this contract, odds are you'd be complaining the following year about how dumb it was to let a solid guy walk away for the going rate.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I defend TT when I feel the criticisms are invalid, which they are alot on the internet, and I'll be critical when he deserves it. This is one of the latter times. Good lord we just paid a average player like an elite one and we did it by bidding against ourselves in order to lock him up early.

I just don't get how anyone can like this deal

So, you don't think TT knows what the market is for a 24 year old proven LT that has time to build strength in the weight room?

I like this signing. Rodgers needs to be protected and as long as we have Rodgers we ain't getting any high draft picks. Good LT's go fast in the draft.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the contract was really anything more than them using Eric Fisher's as the baseline. Both players from the same draft class and have been starters since day 1.

Members online

Latest posts