David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that signing Bakhtiari to an extension even before the first game of the season (he signed the deal on Saturday) indicates the coaching staff doesn't like what they've seen out of Spriggs so far nor has any confidence in him developing into a decent starter by the time the 2017 season rolls around.

Why can't it just mean that the Packers like Bahk too much to not have him play LT?

D

Deleted member 6794

Why can't it just mean that the Packers like Bahk too much to not have him play LT?

Trust me, if the front office and coaching staff would have felt comfortable with Spriggs replacing Bakhtiari as the starting left tackle in 2017 without any drop-off in performance the Packers would have let Bakhtiari walk in free agency next offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Trust me, if the front office and coaching staff would have felt comfortable with Spriggs replacing Bakhtiari as the starting left tackle in 2017 without any drop-off in performance the Packers would have let Bakhtiari walk in free agency next offseason.
I'll even take that one step further, if prior to the draft, the Packers had been confident that Bahk was their future LT (after this season), I don't think they would have traded their #2 pick, a 4th and a 7th to move up 9 spots in the draft to get Spriggs.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll even take that one step further, if prior to the draft, the Packers had been confident that Bahk was their future LT (after this season), I don't think they would have traded their #2 pick, a 4th and a 7th to move up 9 spots in the draft to get Spriggs.

I doubt a training camp and one game is enough to change the Packers mind enough to go from not sure about the guy to giving him $51 million.

The Packers have said they had a 1st round grade on Spriggs. It was probably a case of wanting to get a guy they perceived much better so trading up for him was worth it.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt a training camp and one game is enough to change the Packers mind enough to go from not sure about the guy to giving him $51 million.

The Packers have said they had a 1st round grade on Spriggs. It was probably a case of wanting to get a guy they perceived much better so trading up for him was worth it.

If it was at a position where the backup actually plays and gets rotated in on a regular basis without needing an injury to see the field I'd be inclined to agree. It's not though

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or the Packers like Bank a lot. I feel like people on this board can just jump to the negative. First the contract was awful but once we saw the deal it was obviously fair. Now it must be that Spriggs is a bust instead of the team just really liking Bahk. Maybe the team wants to play Spriggs rt in the future. Maybe they really value a swing tackle since Bulaga gets hurt a fair amount and they are sick of running guys like Barclay out there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having 4 of your 5 offensive line positions coming up as free agents, the opportunity to grab a 1st round graded offensive lineman was probably attractive for more positions than 1.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely. Now, I'm hoping he can at least be decent.

Reaction score
I'm sorry but Bakhtiari getting close to $13 million a season is ridiculous. He's an above average left tackle getting paid like an elite one now. Thompson overpaid during the offseason for mediocre talent and now continues to do so during the season.

In addition I wonder about the reasoning behind trading up to draft Spriggs when the plan was to retain Bakhtiari all along???
I also would've thought drafting Spriggs would've given us more leverage to get a better deal than this. This looked like a desperation move to me in the wake of letting a Pro Bowl caliber Guard walk just hours earlier

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The low salary cap hits during the first two seasons are a huge plus. I still believe the Packers should have waited longer to possibly evaluate Spriggs as a potential successor but with Bakhtiari's deal actually being for less than $10 million per season I'm OK with it.

That link posted gave me a headache. How does the contract really breakdown if it isn't 12 million a year like originally stated

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree but considering bahk's pass blocking of late Spriggs not being a drop off would be really impressive. It wouldn't indicate he is a disappointment

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I also would've thought drafting Spriggs would've given us more leverage to get a better deal than this. This looked like a desperation move to me in the wake of letting a Pro Bowl caliber Guard walk just hours earlier
Almost 1/2 the new money ($22m) is in the last two seasons of the contract. Until then and barring career ending injury over the next 3 seasons, he is about a $9m / yr player. Dead money cap is $3.2m / year remaining. http://overthecap.com/player/david-bakhtiari/2377/

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you ignore the accelerated cap number this year and go by his previous cap number, it looks like essentially a 3 year/37.4M extension if cut before 2020. 2/26.4 if cut before 2019. (counting dead cap).

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having 4 of your 5 offensive line positions coming up as free agents, the opportunity to grab a 1st round graded offensive lineman was probably attractive for more positions than 1.

The point though was that teams dont generally trade up tp draft a Tackle that early simply for depth. The plan is for them to play sooner rather then later

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pkrjones already did a good job posting that information in this thread. The Packers haven't been the youngest team in the league since 2009.

Sorry, I must have missed that post. I knew there was no need to look it up though.;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I didn't mean to imply the Packers weren't sure about Bahk's ability, I don't think that was ever in question. It was more of if the Packers were sure they wanted to or could resign him. If Spriggs had looked like he could fill Bahks shoes at the end of this season, why resign Bahk for the kind of money that they knew he would command? Based on his camp and preseason play, I don't think the Packers are really sure just yet what they have with Spriggs, thus the necessity to resign Bahk now. Who is your starting LT in 2017 if Bahk isn't resigned?

We may never know, but IMO the Packers didn't give up 2 draft picks and take Spriggs in the second round to be a back up. So if they weren't viewing him as the future LT, RT is the only other spot on the line he could start, unless they have plans to make him a guard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt the Packers valued Bakhtiari as an above average left tackle after he performed at a decent level for three years. Nevertheless trading up to select Spriggs indicated the Packers planned on him becoming the starting left tackle in 2017 and replace Bakhtiari to save a ton of cap space.

The team decided to re-sign Bakhtiari after the rookie struggled during the preseason. With Thompson's draft and develop strategy I don't consider it smart to spend multiple picks on backups who will only receive playing time in case of injuries (Hundley, Spriggs).

Or the Packers like Bank a lot. I feel like people on this board can just jump to the negative. First the contract was awful but once we saw the deal it was obviously fair. Now it must be that Spriggs is a bust instead of the team just really liking Bahk. Maybe the team wants to play Spriggs rt in the future. Maybe they really value a swing tackle since Bulaga gets hurt a fair amount and they are sick of running guys like Barclay out there.

I haven't read a single post about Spriggs being already considered a bust or a disappointment. It was rightfully mentioned though that it seems the front office and coaching staff doesn't feel comfortable about him being able to turn into an above average left tackle by the beginning of next season.

Most likely extending Bakhtiari means that Spriggs will be a backup for the foreseeable furure at either left or both tackle spots.

If the Packers planned on re-signing Bakhtiari all along I woukd have preferred to draft a guard early though.

That link posted gave me a headache. How does the contract really breakdown if it isn't 12 million a year like originally stated

Bakhtiari is under contract for five years (including this one) and will get paid $49.676 million over the course of the deal if he plays in every single game.

He can earn another $2 million in incentives for possible Pro Bowl bonuses ($500,000 in each season from 2017-2020).

We may never know, but IMO the Packers didn't give up 2 draft picks and take Spriggs in the second round to be a back up. So if they weren't viewing him as the future LT, RT is the only other spot on the line he could start, unless they have plans to make him a guard.

Bulaga is set to count $7.85 million against the cap in 2017 therefore I don't expect the Packers to make him a backup next season. With a dead money cap hit of $4.8 million he won't be released either.

As I've mentioned several times I prefer to have an offensive lineman best suited to play guard actually line up at the position. That has me concerned Thompson used two draft picks for the second straight draft to select a prospect who will most likely end up being a backup for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Instead of "trusting you", I did a little research. According to PFF, David Bakhtiari has gone 453 pass-blocking snaps without surrendering a sack. This is the longest current streak for any Left Tackle in the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-32-pff-stats-to-know-for-nfl-week-2/

Again, maybe Bakhtiari was too good to let hit the open market Deals are complicated. I'm not sure the contract was given to him outof fear.