David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not going to address every point and assumption stated as fact about Spriggs in this thread. I will however, point out that it is common practice to draft/recruit tackles for any and all positions on the offensive line... The college coaches recruit the best high school tackles and play some of them at guard and center.... NFL teams often draft tackles and move them to guard..... None of us has any knowledge about where Spriggs will end up playing on this team's line. The bottom line is that Tackles are the best athletes on the line.... and it would not surprise me at all to see Spriggs end up playing guard. Remember that Lang's contract is also up at the end of the year.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not like the Packers are an old team in need of more late round picks. All picks are not created equal and the 5 for 2 argument is not taking that into consideration.

I agree that the proability of drafting an impact player in the seventh round is minor but it's higher than in undrafted free agency. Especially as a team has to compete with 31 other clubs to sign an UDFA.

If they turn out to be good players, which is still obviously up in the air so early in their careers, why does it matter? Depth at all positions matter

It matters because the Packers could have drafted another three players with the picks Thompson traded to move up.

I am not going to address every point and assumption stated as fact about Spriggs in this thread. I will however, point out that it is common practice to draft/recruit tackles for any and all positions on the offensive line... The college coaches recruit the best high school tackles and play some of them at guard and center.... NFL teams often draft tackles and move them to guard..... None of us has any knowledge about where Spriggs will end up playing on this team's line. The bottom line is that Tackles are the best athletes on the line.... and it would not surprise me at all to see Spriggs end up playing guard. Remember that Lang's contract is also up at the end of the year.

Spriggs would have to add significant weight and strength to play guard.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It matters because the Packers could have drafted another three players with the picks Thompson traded to move up.
You could use that logic anytime anyone moves up in the draft.

I'd rather just look forward to these young guys we did pick stepping up and proving their worth then playing with these hypotheticals:tup:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still don't understand why trading up for talent that is still on the roster is such a big deal. Look at 2013 when TT was a draft-day trading demon:
- moved back 6 spots (55 to 61) and still got Lacy.
- moved back from 93 to 109 & also got 146 & 224. 109 is Bakhtiari. 146 & 173 became Johnathan Franklin (forced to retire from neck injury); 216 became Charles Johnson (MN Wr); 224 (from Lacy trade back) became WR prospect Kevin Dorsey.

TT got 5 good guys by trading back. He values picks so he doesn't give them away without cause. He's willing to move up for quality, or back when he believes quality will still be there further back. Depth is depth, quality caliber players are needed, however they're acquired.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still don't understand why trading up for talent that is still on the roster is such a big deal.

Because the players Thompson traded up for have a combined total of zero regular season snaps between them.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's actually #2 behind the Bengals' Andrew Whitworth after yesterday's game but still great in protecting Rodgers.
Impressive. Whitworth has been all-pro the last couple of years. Overall, I'm very pleased with the play of the entire O-line so far in as much as a new guy was plugged in at the last minute.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari is currently ranked 37th in run blocking under all qualifying tackles.

Seems about right. He needs to be about average as a run blocker to go along with his top level pass blocking to earn that contract. Not sure how many qualifiers there are and how many of those are lt since rt are usually better run blockers

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't in favor of the big contract, but if the guy is going to be a Chad Clifton clone (at least in the really good pass pro, not so much for the run), I'm OK with that. :)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't in favor of the big contract, but if the guy is going to be a Chad Clifton clone (at least in the really good pass pro, not so much for the run), I'm OK with that. :)
Clifton and tauscher took a while to grow into the pro bowl tandem they were...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming there are at least 64 qualified tackles with 2 per team, it puts him near the middle.
Yea i wasnt counting rts at the time... 37 not so bad!:)
I was actually suprised it was so low. He seems to be playing better in the run attack.

Reaction score
The least a seventh round pick does is guarantee the Packers to be able to draft a player the team otherwise would have to compete with 31 other franchises to sign in undrafted free agency. At best the selection results in drafting Donald Driver.

With the Packers draft and develop philosophy it's not amart trading away the team's most valuable assets, even if it's only a late rounder.

Neither do I. The Packers will have to make a decision on Lang in March of next year though. With currently no backup on the roster best suited to play guard it will be awfully tough to evaluate a replacement for him before having to decide whether to re-sign Lang or let him walk away in free agency.

There's absolutely no doubt that having quality backup tackles is important. No reason to give three picks in return to get one though.

Well, there are only two scenarios how drafting Spriggs plays out. Either he performs up to Bakhtiari's level in which case extending the current starter was a mistake that will cost the Packers an additional $32 million in cap space over the next four years. Or Spriggs doesn't turn into a decent tackle meaning that Thompson made the right choice spending three picks to select him.

Once again, nobody is arguing about the importance of having decent backup tackles. There's no reason to spend three draft picks to assure having one on the roster though.

While that might be the perception because of trading up for Matthews actually Thompson has failed more often when trading up than making a successful move. The only other player TT moved up to grab that was a win for the Packers is Morgan Burnett. Casey Hayward had some impact with the team but not enough to justify getting a sevond contract.

Johnathan Franklin, Jerel Worthy, Terrell Manning and Jeremy Thompson all turned out to be busts.
I think it's unfair to consider J Franklin
A "bust". I would even argue there is a high percentage chance that Jonathan would still be on our roster today based on how he quickly and impressively transitioned into professional football. Plus, I had just nicknamed him
"Barry Jr" (Sanders) when his injury occurred I don't give out comparisons like that hastily and I think this organization knew he had exciting potential. Injuries are not TTs fault

Members online

Latest posts