David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't remember the Packers planned on starting Tretter at center in 2014 before he got injured during the preseason???
Yes, who said that he was drafted to replace EDS. He played tackle at Cornell.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, who said that he was drafted to replace EDS. He played tackle at Cornell.

It's pretty obvious the Packers drafted Tretter to line up at center after they pencilled him in as the starter after he missed nearly all of his rookie season.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your basing that on the assumption that his open market contract would've made him the highest paid LT in the league. An assumption I think is wrong

I guess we'll never know the truth behind his "open market value". That's why you used words like "assumption" and "I think".

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding "open market value" vs contract extension, did anybody see Olivier Vernon getting 5 years/$85,000,000 on the open market? Look at Mike Daniels. His extension is a bargain (4 years/$41,000,000) compared to Vernon.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding "open market value" vs contract extension, did anybody see Olivier Vernon getting 5 years/$85,000,000 on the open market? Look at Mike Daniels. His extension is a bargain (4 years/$41,000,000) compared to Vernon.

Or comparing Daniels to Malik Jackson who has 6 years for $90 million.

The Jaguars better hope Jackson is better than he was Sunday. He was almost invisible.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious the Packers drafted Tretter to line up at center after they pencilled him in as the starter after he missed nearly all of his rookie season.
Yes at that point. Almost noone saw him as a future center when he was drafted in April of 2013 though. People were complaining he was a reach in the 4th round and could not be a serious candidateto play tackle for the Packers.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes at that point. Almost noone saw him as a future center when he was drafted in April of 2013 though. People were complaining he was a reach in the 4th round and could not be a serious candidateto play tackle for the Packers.

Actually my draft magazine from that year had him listed as a Center so I'm not sure what you mean by almost nobody.

He was indeed drafted to play Center. It's the position he started out at also his rookie year before he got hurt.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant during the draft. Everyone was talking about him as a tackle or guard.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually my draft magazine from that year had him listed as a Center so I'm not sure what you mean by almost nobody.

He was indeed drafted to play Center. It's the position he started out at also his rookie year before he got hurt.
I'm talking about the people on this forum.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga has never played guard in the NFL therefore it's tough to evaluate if he's able to perform at a high level at the position. As I've mentioned on several occasions I would prefer to line up a player best suited to play guard next to the center.

While it's the general perception around here that the Packers are annually the youngest team in the league it's not true. This year they're ranked third.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2016-edition/

I know I could look it up but it may be faster this way. If I am not mistaken the Packers haven't been the youngest team for a couple of years now. Close but not the youngest. Hit the enter button on my WIMM computer and wait for the answer :D:D:D

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have the details been fully disclosed yet for Bakhtiari new deal?

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no doubt Daniels' deal is a bargain. Unfortunately the last one Thompson was able to negotiate within the last nine months.

I meant during the draft. Everyone was talking about him as a tackle or guard.

I wasn't posting a lot at the time Tretter was drafted therefore I don't know about the reactions of the fans around here. It was pretty obvious early the team planned on lining him up at center though.

I know I could look it up but it may be faster this way. If I am not mistaken the Packers haven't been the youngest team for a couple of years now. Close but not the youngest. Hit the enter button on my WIMM computer and wait for the answer :D:D:D

Pkrjones already did a good job posting that information in this thread. The Packers haven't been the youngest team in the league since 2009.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/david-bakhtiari-signs-4-yr-contract-ext.68872/page-5#post-676856

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After looking at the details on the contract I'm cool with it. Still think the timing is a little off but I'm ok with it now

D

Deleted member 6794

After looking at the details on the contract I'm cool with it. Still think the timing is a little off but I'm ok with it now

I haven't seen the full details about Bakhtiari's contract having been released so far. Might want to share it???

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The low salary cap hits during the first two seasons are a huge plus. I still believe the Packers should have waited longer to possibly evaluate Spriggs as a potential successor but with Bakhtiari's deal actually being for less than $10 million per season I'm OK with it.

I'm not a big contract guy, I kind of leave the details to Ball and Co. But I have to agree with you, when it comes to the cap hits, that jumped out at me and makes this look like a well structured deal. While Spriggs may have been the heir apparent (in the Packers minds) at LT when they drafted him, I think the fact they wrapped this deal up so early points to some questions about Spriggs actually being that guy by the start of next year. Wonder if that and Sittons release were fuel to the fire of getting this done quickly, as well as not wanting to see Bahk's market price and demand go up as the season went on. As some have said, this is the kind of player that some cash happy team would have thrown a big contract at if Bahk had a successful 2016 season.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Spriggs may have been the heir apparent (in the Packers minds) at LT when they drafted him, I think the fact they wrapped this deal up so early points to some questions about Spriggs actually being that guy by the start of next year.

I agree that signing Bakhtiari to an extension even before the first game of the season (he signed the deal on Saturday) indicates the coaching staff doesn't like what they've seen out of Spriggs so far nor has any confidence in him developing into a decent starter by the time the 2017 season rolls around.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Pro Football Focus Bakhtiari hasn't surrendered a sack in 453 straight pass-blocking snaps, the longest current streak for a left tackle in the league.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts