David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

H

HardRightEdge

In addition I wonder about the reasoning behind trading up to draft Spriggs when the plan was to retain Bakhtiari all along???
I think it's fair to say they were not happy with what they saw in Spriggs in camp/preseason.

$13 mil/year? That puts him right at the top of LT's. Trent Williams leads the pack at $13.2/year.

I suppose some will argue we should take the $51.67 mil for 4 years, add it to this year's $1.78 mil cap hit and call it $53.45 mil over 5 years or $10.7 mil per year. I would not be one of those people.

As Bakhtiari himself tweeted, "Surreal and lost for words." I share that reaction.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little higher than expected but still happy we locked him up to protect Rodgers. I don't see why Bak is so ridiculed really? He's been a blessing for us and has played solid since his ROOKIE YEAR!!! He is still so young Im sure most of us can agree we haven't seen the best Bak yet. The only negative I can see is his run blocking like previously noted. But it's not as if he's atrocious out there. He gets out muscled and that can be fixed in the weightroom like someone already stated. Now we need to get Hyde and Lang resigned!! Hyde is like our secret weapon on D imo.

H

HardRightEdge

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but doesn't Ball handle the contract negotiations? Does Thompson decide when we are going to extend a player's contract and let Ball handle the numbers (within certain parameters) or does Thompson also dictate the contract terms? Just curious.
If Thompson is not involved and fully aware of the implications, then he's 1/2 of a GM.

This deal means other players will not be retained in free agency. It would be hard to imagine Thompson not being fully aware of the cap implications with a good idea of who will be allowed to walk (or even cut) in order to compensate for each player that is signed or extended between now and start of the 2017 free agency period.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

A little higher than expected but still happy we locked him up to protect Rodgers. I don't see why Bak is so ridiculed really? He's been a blessing for us and has played solid since his ROOKIE YEAR!!! He is still so young Im sure most of us can agree we haven't seen the best Bak yet. The only negative I can see is his run blocking like previously noted. But it's not as if he's atrocious out there. He gets out muscled and that can be fixed in the weightroom like someone already stated. Now we need to get Hyde and Lang resigned!! Hyde is like our secret weapon on D imo.
This deal is $200,000 shy of making Bakhtiari the highest paid LT in the league on a per year basis. I don't ridicule Bakhtiari; he's pretty decent even if his run blocking is not so great. But this kind of money? It's out of line. Weight room? This is no 20 year old rookie, and in any case you don't pay that kind of money for a projection.

It's deals like this that tell you, "Hyde is gone." He was playing dime corner in week 1; he's already being eased out.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, you don't think TT knows what the market is for a 24 year old proven LT that has time to build strength in the weight room?

I like this signing. Rodgers needs to be protected and as long as we have Rodgers we ain't getting any high draft picks. Good LT's go fast in the draft.

Unless you think the market was going to make him the highest paid LT in the league then no matter what it's still FL dumb to sign him to this contract in week 2.

Sky King

Reaction score
A certain guard for another team just got $10 m for this season and he's about 5 years older than Bakhtiari. By the time Bakhtiari's contract expires he'll still be younger than that guard is today. If it seems like too much to pay him now in a year or two it probably will not.

Since Clifton retired there has not been a single "keeper" at LT other than Bakhtiari. They are that hard to find. Sprigg's performance in the preseason sure didn't make Bakhtiari expendable after this season. So, who do the Packers have that's better on the current roster, or is anyone counting on an as yet unpicked draft choice in 2017? Who could that possibly be? And any pipe dreams of TT paying $10 m or more for some other team's FA version of Bakhtiari is never going to happen. Like it or not, we all should have learned that lesson by now.

It was the wisest option to retain Bakhtiari all things considered. Better to pay an ascending player too much than a descending player too much.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it'll end up being a good contract. Bakhtiari is a very good left tackle who is only 24 years-old. He had a very good offseason and Week 1. TT obviously targeted him as a core player that he wanted to lock up.

I'm sure the open market contract for him, just like the open market contract for Mike Daniels, would be higher.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before everyone overreacts we need to see how the contract is structured. I thought I saw on Twitter
today that the contract includes annual Pro Bowl bonuses and other incentives.

For those of you that don't follow Ben Fennell on Twitter, I encourage you to check out his page. He
cuts up game film and usually has a very objective eye. He has some good feedback on Bahk.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it'll end up being a good contract. Bakhtiari is a very good left tackle who is only 24 years-old. He had a very good offseason and Week 1. TT obviously targeted him as a core player that he wanted to lock up.

I'm sure the open market contract for him, just like the open market contract for Mike Daniels, would be higher.

Your basing that on the assumption that his open market contract would've made him the highest paid LT in the league. An assumption I think is wrong

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your basing that on the assumption that his open market contract would've made him the highest paid LT in the league. An assumption I think is wrong
Well on the open FA market based on age and productivity they would be at least starting with Eric Fisher money which was 12/y so I doubt you are seeing any less than that. Throw in some competition for services and him being the only starting LT FA under 27 years old it's not that hard to see it going higher.

D

Deleted member 6794

Another team would have paid Bakh even more money.

That doesn't make it a good move for the Packers, especially with limited cap space available next offseason.

Prior to this extension Bakhtiari was the 46th highest paid LT in the league. He's been a starter from game 1 of his rookie year. You're telling us that this extension isn't a "make-up" for past underpayment? IMHO that factored heavily into the negotiations, although none of us are privy to that.

Hopefully the Packers don't conduct business like that as it would be really lunatic with a hatd salary cap in place.

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but doesn't Ball handle the contract negotiations? Does Thompson decide when we are going to extend a player's contract and let Ball handle the numbers (within certain parameters) or does Thompson also dictate the contract terms? Just curious.

While Ball is responsible for handling the salary cap Thompson for sure has the final say on contracts.

H

HardRightEdge

That doesn't make it a good move for the Packers, especially with limited cap space available next offseason.
Interesting O-Line take from Wilde:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=17540710

His source says the Packers told both Sitton and Lang that they would not negotiate an extension now. Both Wilde's source and Sitton's comments (perhaps one and the same) indicate the Packers were working on negotiations with other "players", as in plural.

It would stand to reason the other negotiation in that "plural" would be Tretter.

Wilde suggests Lang may not be in future plans. While it's a long season with injuries/performance factoring in, I think that's a strong possibility. I agree with your earlier comment that Bulaga moving to RG is implausible. His dodgy knees would be more vulnerable playing inside. Signing Tretter soon would suggest they have him penciled in for RG, or perhaps LG with Taylor moving to the right side.

Many of us thought they would sign either Sitton or Lang. My money was on Lang because I thought he outplayed Sitton last season. Neither would provide additional cap relief, though Bakhtiari's deal is surprisingly larger than one would have expected. We'll await the details of Bakhtiari's contract, but I would surmise the bulk of the cap hit falls in the out years, with 2017 cap relief built in.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, either way, David was going to get paid more than Sitton or Lang. LT is one of the highest paid positions in the league. If we didn't pay David, someone else would have in another words.

D

Deleted member 6794

His source says the Packers told both Sitton and Lang that they would not negotiate an extension now. Both Wilde's source and Sitton's comments (perhaps one and the same) indicate the Packers were working on negotiations with other "players", as in plural.

It would stand to reason the other negotiation in that "plural" would be Tretter.

Wilde suggests Lang may not be in future plans. While it's a long season with injuries/performance factoring in, I think that's a strong possibility. I agree with your earlier comment that Bulaga moving to RG is implausible. His dodgy knees would be more vulnerable playing inside. Signing Tretter soon would suggest they have him penciled in for RG, or perhaps LG with Taylor moving to the right side.

Many of us thought they would sign either Sitton or Lang. My money was on Lang because I thought he outplayed Sitton last season. Neither would provide additional cap relief, though Bakhtiari's deal is surprisingly larger than one would have expected. We'll await the details of Bakhtiari's contract, but I would surmise the bulk of the cap hit falls in the out years, with 2017 cap relief built in.

I expect Tretter to be next in line for a contract as well. Most likely that means Lang will walk away in free agency next season.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Entering the season, Green Bay had four offensive linemen on the last year of their contract. With Sitton's departure and Bahktiari's signing, it's down to two. Tretter was in the same draft class as Bahktiari, so it seems he's the most logical choice to be resigned. I don't know if that means he'll continue to be the starting center or move to guard, and I suppose that largely depend on Linsley and his health. And, at some point, Jason Spriggs is going to fit into the equation somewhere.

Out with the old and in with new continues to be how Ted Thompson runs the Pack. Anyone not believing that need look no farther than Brett Favre.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Tretter to be next in line for a contract as well. Most likely that means Lang will walk away in free agency next season.

You have said all along you don't think Tretter is a guard so it will be interesting to see what they do. Signing Tretter with Lindsey on the roster makes you wonder if one will be a guard. Or else letting lang walk would open another hole at guard. Either way they should draft a guard in the upcoming draft. Tackle actually looks set

D

Deleted member 6794

You have said all along you don't think Tretter is a guard so it will be interesting to see what they do. Signing Tretter with Lindsey on the roster makes you wonder if one will be a guard. Or else letting lang walk would open another hole at guard. Either way they should draft a guard in the upcoming draft. Tackle actually looks set

I would prefer to have two starting guards best suited to play the position. With Lang most likely gone next offseason that means drafting a guard in 2017 is a must.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer to have two starting guards best suited to play the position. With Lang most likely gone next offseason that means drafting a guard in 2017 is a must.

Drafting a left tackle and moving him could be fine too. Trettor, Lang, and Sitton were all tackles coming out of college.

D

Deleted member 6794

Drafting a left tackle and moving him could be fine too. Trettor, Lang, and Sitton were all tackles coming out of college.

True, I meant drafting an offensive lineman best suited to play guard.

H

HardRightEdge

Entering the season, Green Bay had four offensive linemen on the last year of their contract. With Sitton's departure and Bahktiari's signing, it's down to two. Tretter was in the same draft class as Bahktiari, so it seems he's the most logical choice to be resigned. I don't know if that means he'll continue to be the starting center or move to guard, and I suppose that largely depend on Linsley and his health. And, at some point, Jason Spriggs is going to fit into the equation somewhere.

Out with the old and in with new continues to be how Ted Thompson runs the Pack. Anyone not believing that need look no farther than Brett Favre.
Linsley will be on the last year of his very cheap rookie deal in 2017 making him a very cost-effective player. While there's a long way to go with both "unknows" and "unkown unknowns", I think you have to pencil him in at center for 2017 at this juncture.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is my confusion with Tretter not being able to play guard. That is what he was drafted to do wasnt it? Or was he just a center? I thought he was expected to play either but with Lang and Sitton there center became his best shot and then he got injured. I have always assumed he would be able to play both and it does seems like the Packers think that if they are willing to move on from both Lang and Sitton. If Tretter can play guard well that sets up for a solid offensive line going forward and one that is under contract for a while. I guess Lindsey will be a fa soon too so they could keep Tretter at center and draft a guard to start. Or they go Lindsey at center, Tretter at guard and draft another guard/center.

H

HardRightEdge

You've observed recently and in the past that Tretter doesn't have the strength to play OG. I think that was true in the first year or two, after coming into the league at 6'4", 307 lbs. The Packers still list him at those Combine measurements, but we know those are often stale dated. He looks bigger to me now...maybe 320...while looking decently quick to the second level. I would not necessarily assume Tretter at OG would be a make-due situation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Linsley will be on the last year of his very cheap rookie deal in 2017 making him a very cost-effective player. While there's a long way to go with both "unknows" and "unkown unknowns", I think you have to pencil him in at center for 2017 at this juncture.

As of right now I expect Tretter to be the starting center in 2017 if he's re-signed.

That is my confusion with Tretter not being able to play guard. That is what he was drafted to do wasnt it? Or was he just a center?

Tretter was drafted to backup Dietrich- Smith at center and was pencilled in as the starter before getting injured in 2014 and losing his job to Linsley.

D

Deleted member 6794

You've observed recently and in the past that Tretter doesn't have the strength to play OG. I think that was true in the first year or two, after coming into the league at 6'4", 307 lbs. The Packers still list him at those Combine measurements, but we know those are often stale dated. He looks bigger to me now...maybe 320...while looking decently quick to the second level. I would not necessarily assume Tretter at OG would be a make-due situation.

I've realized that a lot of posters disagree with me about Tretter's ability to play guard. We have to wait until at least Linsley is healthy again to find out about the coaching staff's evaluation.