David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Bakhtiari getting close to $13 million a season is ridiculous. He's an above average left tackle getting paid like an elite one now. Thompson overpaid during the offseason for mediocre talent and now continues to do so during the season.

In addition I wonder about the reasoning behind trading up to draft Spriggs when the plan was to retain Bakhtiari all along???

He was an elite pass blocker the last part of last season.

Trading up for Spriggs could have been an opportunity to get a player they had rated much higher, regardless of his position.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worth up to 51 million... Woah
Intresting thoughts?

Left tackles come at a premium in this league. He's young, and he's been pretty reliable, so this is not an outrageous contract. I'm pretty sure he could have gotten more on the open market, but I imagine he relished the idea of coming back to Green Bay.

Left tackle pay scale:

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

D

Deleted member 6794

He was an elite pass blocker the last part of last season.

Do you have a link to the article mentioning Bakhtiari being a top three tackle in pass protection during the second half of last season?

Unfortunately Bakhtiari is now paid as an elite left tackle although struggling blocking for the run.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the article mentioning Bakhtiari being a top three tackle in pass protection during the second half of last season?

Unfortunately Bakhtiari is now paid as an elite left tackle although struggling blocking for the run.

It depends how much you really trust PFF's metrics. They arent gospel.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are people defending this? We just payed an average player like an elite one and the kicker is we paid a premium price so we could do it early.

This is the type of money he would've gotten on the open market and we just threw it at him in order to sign him before week 2. This is a bad move.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are people defending this? We just payed an average player like an elite one and the kicker is we paid a premium price so we could do it early.

This is the type of money he would've gotten on the open market and we just threw it at him in order to sign him before week 2. This is a bad move.

Woah woah woah...

How dare you not be a kool aid drinker and blindly buy into a dogmatic following and agreement of every decision TT and Co make!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woah woah woah...

How dare you not be a kool aid drinker and blindly buy into a dogmatic following and agreement of every decision TT and Co make!

I defend TT when I feel the criticisms are invalid, which they are alot on the internet, and I'll be critical when he deserves it. This is one of the latter times. Good lord we just paid a average player like an elite one and we did it by bidding against ourselves in order to lock him up early.

I just don't get how anyone can like this deal

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way you like it is to blindly follow a PFF grade based off of like 4 games.

Dude is a bum. Next coming of marshall newhouse.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way you like it is to blindly follow a PFF grade based off of like 4 games.

Dude is a bum. Next coming of marshall newhouse.

He's not a bum and much better then Newhouse. That's going way to far. He's an average player.

But we just paid a premium price to make average player sign early, which is dumb in it own right, but adding on is that even the premium price is an overpay by paying him like an elite guy.

These are the reason to hate this move. Not that he's a "bum"

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari has been a solid, dependable LT for the last 3 years. He just got a raise in Feb. from $675K to $1.696Mil which is still grossly underpaying a 3 yr starting LT. His new contract is a 4 year extension for $51.67Mil which takes him thru the 2020 season. Totalled-up that's 5 years (incl. 2016) for $53.366Mil which averages $10.67Mil/yr.

He was obviously the top-priority signing and to have a proven, starting LT for $10.67Mil/yr. is not out of place.

Next up should be both Tretter & Pennel, as both are on the low-end of pay scale AND are being relied on as high-snap-count guys in '16 (when Pennel returns). Lang is currently 8th highest paid Packer so his extension can wait, IMHO.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They aren't gospel, but it sure is a better mertic than simply saying "He's a bum"

I dunno... Have you watched him? Dude gets destroyed regularly. Maybe you use a different word for that, but the word I use is bum.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari has been a solid, dependable LT for the last 3 years. He just got a raise in Feb. from $675K to $1.696Mil which is still grossly underpaying a 3 yr starting LT. His new contract is a 4 year extension for $51.67Mil which takes him thru the 2020 season. Totalled-up that's 5 years (incl. 2016) for $53.366Mil which averages $10.67Mil/yr.

He was obviously the top-priority signing and to have a proven, starting LT for $10.67Mil/yr. is not out of place.

Next up should be both Tretter & Pennel, as both are on the low-end of pay scale AND are being relied on as high-snap-count guys in '16 (when Pennel returns). Lang is currently 8th highest paid Packer so his extension can wait, IMHO.

Using the idea that it's an extension to bring down the per year cost is just mental gymnastics. Which even at 10 mill a year is to high to justify doing it early even though once again it not 10 mill a year

The extension, which is what really is in question, is an unbelievable overpay. 4 years 51 million is what we gave him. We DIDN'T just give him 5 years 51 million. Those would be two unbelievably different deals so can we stop acting like they're effectively the same thing

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 years 51 million is what we gave him. We DIDN'T just give him 5 years 51 million. Those would be two unbelievably different deals so can we stop acting like they're effectively the same thing
Bakhtiari is under contract through 2020, which is 5 seasons until it expires. Over those 5 years he'll make (assuming he's not cut or retires) $53.366Mil = $10.67Mil/yr.

Whether you can comprehend the "mental gymnastics" of this extension that is the reality of the contract. The Packers didn't tear-up and replace this year, they added to it with another 4 years and are able to stretch bonus (cap) money over 5 years instead of just 4 if this was done after the season.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woah woah woah...

Some love everything Ted does, some hate everything Ted does. They both drink kool-aid; just different flavors.

I see this as neither brilliant nor outrageous - We signed a young left tackle who seldom misses gameday and does pretty much what he is asked to do. Since solid left tackles are hard to come by, and since he's done a decent job of keeping #12 upright, it's a logical move.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some love everything Ted does, some hate everything Ted does. They both drink kool-aid; just different flavors.

I see this as neither brilliant nor outrageous - We signed a young left tackle who seldom misses gameday and does pretty much what he is asked to do. Since solid left tackles are hard to come by, and since he's done a decent job of keeping #12 upright, it's a logical move.

It just adds fuel to the fire of criticism about Ted being perfectly willing to overpy for his own guys.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a fan of this deal. I think it will look like a good deal in two years and be in line with what we think he's worth then, but in the now, it seems like overpay. Oh well, I do welcome the stability at LT.

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just adds fuel to the fire of criticism about Ted being perfectly willing to overpy for his own guys.

It makes sense, and for the most part I get where the people skeptical of this move are coming from. And on top of that I do feel we overpaid a bit. That being said, in a vacuum i don't think this is an egregious move, and I really don't think it'll look bad at all in a few years unless Bahktiari has a major regression in play or becomes injury prone. Plus if there's any position i can handle overpaying a bit for a player its on the offensive line.

The only other offensive line question left (with sitton being gone and bahktiari being extended) is what happens to Lang after the season. Also where exactly does Spriggs fit into the equation.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari is under contract through 2020, which is 5 seasons until it expires. Over those 5 years he'll make (assuming he's not cut or retires) $53.366Mil = $10.67Mil/yr.

Whether you can comprehend the "mental gymnastics" of this extension that is the reality of the contract. The Packers didn't tear-up and replace this year, they added to it with another 4 years and are able to stretch bonus (cap) money over 5 years instead of just 4 if this was done after the season.

Adding in this year to lower the price tag per year average to justify the contract is indeed mental Gymnastics when if they would've simply torn up this year's contract and replaced it with a 5 year 53 million dollar deal it looks vastly different then the 4 year 51 million dollar extension he just signed.

Last edited:

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any examples of him getting destroyed regularly, because he sure hasn't been recently.
Doesn't need examples, you just have to watch for yourself it's obvious dude. If you don't see it then it's just because you are a homer who loves TT and everything he does.

/sarcasm

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts