David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

headofcheeze29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you get rid of a pro bowler making 5.9 mil to overpay an average Tackle 12 mil a year? Bold strategy cotton, lets see if it pays off..

I get the Bak is young and Sitton was at the tail end of his career, but what the heck is going on???

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thought they would let him walk that's a huge contract unlike ted more than jordys contract lol
I'm surprised

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not mad at this. He seems to be a pretty polarizing player with Packer fans, but I think Bahk is a SOLID LT.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, he better earn it is all I'll say now. thought his worth was about 4-6 million per, of course with room to grow. I was hoping he'd have to show it first, but I guess not.

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is very solid and it's not like a bad thing I wanna see more on the contract details.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not mad at this. He seems to be a pretty polarizing player with Packer fans, but I think Bahk is a SOLID LT.

100% this. Couldn't agree more. Love this move, exactly what they needed to do after the Sitton debacle. Invest in the rest of that line, keep them all here. Bahk is a very underrated LT.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering LT is the highest paid position along the OL, even average to above average LT's get paid a lot, this isn't surprising. Keep in mind i'm not saying he is average, in fact, I think hes a top 10 LT in the NFL. Well worth it. Rodgers blindside is protected for years to come now.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope this work out? He gets called for holding often

Would you rather have him hold or have him get QB1 killed? I'll take a few holding calls if Aaron stays upright. I see this a lot and the argument makes no sense to me.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nearly $13 million a year for Bakhtiari??? That makes him the third highest paid left tackle in the league. It's unbelieveable how much Thompson loves to overpay for the team's own free agents.

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid is only 24 yrs old they may have to pay him again down the rd

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I seem to recall (admit I could be wrong) him getting blown up in Denver and Carolina and a few other games afterward last season. Hopefully he improves his play and doesn't need help.

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nearly $13 million a year for Bakhtiari??? That makes him the third highest paid left tackle in the league. It's unbelieveable how much Thompson loves to overpay for the team's own free agents.
I agree with you that's so much money.. He is good but they could have done the same thing another young guy down the rd... I mean if ur big guy and play lineman u should be able to block do with the next guy.. What's the cap hit on that? I feel like lacy will be gone now they ain't gonna shell out all all kinds of money to him no way

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The total contract value doesn't mean anything you know that. Let's wait and see the final #'s but I've seen $17M guaranteed (which isn't bad for a $50M LT contract) and another $10M in bonuses.

headofcheeze29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree he's a young guy with potential and that the Packers needed to lock him up. But throwing this much money at him is CRAZY. He is NOT a top 3 LT in this league. Now he's making more than Joe Thomas, Anthony Castonzo, Nate Solder.. just to name a few. I just think that's laughable. We are throwing the sink at him because he is from our "farm system" and everyone knows how much TT loves keeping his own picks. This does not leave much room for our other needs. Lacey, TJ Lang, Defensive needs. What is TT doing??

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do people think that we're going to be able to let everyone walk on the Oline? Bak is young and pretty good at the most important position. This isn't Tyron Smith money. He won't be top 5 for long. The 8-10 guys better than him are going to get paid and this'll be about what he's worth.

I just wonder what this means for Spriggs. I guess he's going to have to learn to run block because he's looking like Bulaga's replacement unless they for some reason want to make him a guard.

headofcheeze29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in no way saying we should have let him walk. I just feel the same way most people do in thinking he was going to be a 6-9 million a year guy. I feel like we've kind of pidgeon holed ourselves in what we can do now. I guess we'll have to see exactly how the contract is drawn up. I just feel like we have alot of needs to give Bak that much money.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro Football focus had him as a top 10 pass blocker last year and top 3 during the second half. Yes, his run blocking still needs improvement, but his contract is worth protecting Rodgers that well.

Guarantee he'd get more had he hit free agency.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sorry but Bakhtiari getting close to $13 million a season is ridiculous. He's an above average left tackle getting paid like an elite one now. Thompson overpaid during the offseason for mediocre talent and now continues to do so during the season.

In addition I wonder about the reasoning behind trading up to draft Spriggs when the plan was to retain Bakhtiari all along???

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little bit pricier than I would have liked, but I'm not really surprised. I wouldn't call Bakhtiari an elite LT (honestly more middle of the road). But it gives us stability on Rodgers blind side long term, he's young and LT is one of the most valuable positions on the offense.

With the salary cap rising (and will continue to rise most likely), the fact is many "above average" players getting signed will likely look way overpaid now, but in 2 years will appear much friendlier.

Members online

Latest posts