Davante Adams

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would take a nicked up Jordy Nelson over a healthy Adams any day and any game. So I am guessing that the coaches feel that a nicked up Adams is a better option then a healthy Janis. Just like a hobbling Rodgers was our best option last year. It may be an excuse or a way that the coaches are trying to take some of the heat off of Adams for his poor performance, but the bottom line is they play who they feel will help the team win. Has Adams played well? No. But I imagine that if Adams sat due to injuries he could play through and Janis had an equally miserable game, people here would be calling out Adams for being a wimp and not playing through injuries for the better of the team.

I for one hope Janis sees more playing time AND want him to play well, I'm a Packer fan. But, as some of us keep saying, there are reasons why Janis isn't on the field more often, I just hope when that playing time does come, he can prove some of us wrong.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be physically hurt, but at this point for him, it's all mental. If he can get thru this, I think we'll be fine. If he can't, he may never recover even after he's not playing hurt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He may be physically hurt, but at this point for him, it's all mental. If he can get thru this, I think we'll be fine. If he can't, he may never recover even after he's not playing hurt.

Well said. Which is why the coaches are hopeful that he will play through a rough patch and be that guy everyone thought he would be. Would benching him for a half be a bad thing? Maybe not, but they don't have a lot of options behind him to afford themselves that luxury.

Adams right now is an easy target, but the whole offense is playing dysfunctional football. The mistakes by each player on offense seem to correlate with their age due to this dysfunctional team play. The younger guys like Adams, Bahk, Linsley and Lacy are making more mistakes then the older guys, who themselves are still making more mistakes then we are used to seeing. We have watched this pressure building up all season and now with everyone screaming that the offense is a failure, guys are letting it effect their play.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said. Which is why the coaches are hopeful that he will play through a rough patch and be that guy everyone thought he would be. Would benching him for a half be a bad thing? Maybe not, but they don't have a lot of options behind him to afford themselves that luxury.

Adams right now is an easy target, but the whole offense is playing dysfunctional football. The mistakes by each player on offense seem to correlate with their age due to this dysfunctional team play. The younger guys like Adams, Bahk, Linsley and Lacy are making more mistakes then the older guys, who themselves are still making more mistakes then we are used to seeing. We have watched this pressure building up all season and now with everyone screaming that the offense is a failure, guys are letting it effect their play.
exactly, and if Montgomery or Abby were available, They'd be out there i'm sure. One thing Rodgers has always done in his career is go right back to a guy that has made a mistake that he believes in. All the times, Cobb, Driver, Jennings, Finley had a drop, 9 times out of 10 it seemed he went right back to them on the very next play to keep them in the game. I think he did that with Adams, because he really does believe in his skill and preparation, but it backfired. I have no idea how to get him off this ride he's on, the only way is to start making plays I think. He has quite the battle in his head to fix.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The entire offense has this monkey on their back, not just Adams. I think we are all hoping that a modicum of success will be infectious and personally, I think it starts with AR and his attitude. He needs to check his emotions in the locker room and just go out there and play. Have some fun. Don't give the dagger eyes and the look of "oh hell, here we go again" after each busted play. I wouldn't even mind him taking a few pages out of old #4's playbook and start taking some chances AND having fun.....as much as some fault Favre for his gunslinger mentality, his love for the game and the fun he had while playing was infectious to other players.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's still hurt then why the hell is he still out there?!! He's not helping us. Shows how idiotic these excuses and coaching staff seems to be if they feel like having him out there hobbling around instead of a guy like Janis. The article pretty much sums up why they have lost 4 of their last 5 games.

There are two options:

1) Even injured, Adams is more reliable on the field during practice (which constitutes the vast majority of a player's actual job) than the other receivers
2) You don't believe the above and therefore we are left with the simple fact that Rodgers and McCarthy dislike Janis personally and would prefer to lose games rather than let him on the field

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The entire offense has this monkey on their back, not just Adams. I think we are all hoping that a modicum of success will be infectious and personally, I think it starts with AR and his attitude. He needs to check his emotions in the locker room and just go out there and play. Have some fun. Don't give the dagger eyes and the look of "oh hell, here we go again" after each busted play.
Agreed. Can't stand when Aaron acts like a baby on the sidelines.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers and McCarthy dislike Janis personally and would prefer to lose games rather than let him on the field

If the Packers didn't like Janis, I seriously doubt he would still be on the team. In my mind they must see potential, but are having a hard time getting him up to speed in order to achieve that potential.

With the amount of rookie playing time we have seen with other players under MM's helm, it isn't a matter of not trusting a younger player or I doubt "hating them". Really the only conclusion that makes sense (to me) in regards to Janis, is pretty clear, the coaching staff just doesn't think he is ready to play.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If guys like Janis and Abbrederis are ever gonna make a move and take that next step, IMO it had better be from here on out the rest of this season, starting tonight, or it's time to look elsewhere.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If guys like Janis and Abbrederis are ever gonna make a move and take that next step, IMO it had better be from here on out the rest of this season, starting tonight, or it's time to look elsewhere.

Janis has had a pretty healthy two years to prove his value to the team, so I agree, this is his year to prove he can play or else. But, his recent success in the return game, could buy him more time if that continues. On the other hand, Abby, due to the contract they signed him to and his injuries, I don't see the Packers giving up on him quite as fast. Abby is a perfect example of the polar opposite of Janis, the guy has barely practiced due to injuries, yet his classwork and practice performance have the coaches comfortable with putting him in a game.

Too early to speculate next year, but if the current WR's play like they have been, Jordy, Cobb and Montgomery are the only locks to still be on the team, barring a trade.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I am not keen on Davante's performance,maybe the coaching staff has seen the potential and know that right now it is a mental aspect keeping him from reaching his potential similar to a player a few years back,Mason Crosby. I would say patience with Crosby has paid off

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think this year has exposed one weakness of the draft and develop theory. A few injuries at one position can all of a sudden put young inexperienced guys in key roles. We have seen this at WR, ILB and to some extent the secondary. At least the youth in the secondary is looking pretty solid.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't account for injury. So they bring in 3 aging vets and all end up injured, and now there's no youth either. how does it help? For most of the year a guy we all expected to make a jump has been injured and is now regressing. our #1 is on IR, our #2 started the year injured. We signed a vet. Our #4, who was showing some good stuff, has been out for weeks and is again tonight. Another has not been available either for much of the year, what has he played? 1 game?2?

We do have problems at the WR position this year, but nobody was thinking this would be an issue going into the year and when Nelson went down, getting a guy like Jones in here was applauded by nearly everyone, fan or "expert" alike. our current production sucks for all sorts of reasons, but keeping passing targets on our team has not generally been a weakness of our current GM. I can't help but think that if Montgomery isn't missing time our passing game isn't looking so bad. It might not be Nelson, jennings, Jones, Cobb, but it's better. Toss in a healthy 2nd year player in Abbrederis and we're probably just fine.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how he'll do, but I'm confident Janis wants it bad and will try his damndest.
Why? His blocking.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope they're right. Getting the run game and play action with a big fast receiver that can be where he's supposed to be will be nice if they can get it done.

Sadly, it seems like this season has been a lot of "ifs".

If......Jordy hadn't been injured.
If......Adams, Bahk, etc. played up to their potential
If......Crosby doesn't miss that kick
If.....AR sees Cobb wide open
etc. etc. etc.

But that is what makes this game fun....if.....it was easy and if.....it all went the way it was suppose to, the Packers wouldn't have had to suit up this season and just gone and picked up the Lombardi trophy.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't account for injury. So they bring in 3 aging vets and all end up injured, and now there's no youth either. how does it help? For most of the year a guy we all expected to make a jump has been injured and is now regressing. our #1 is on IR, our #2 started the year injured. We signed a vet. Our #4, who was showing some good stuff, has been out for weeks and is again tonight. Another has not been available either for much of the year, what has he played? 1 game?2?

We do have problems at the WR position this year, but nobody was thinking this would be an issue going into the year and when Nelson went down, getting a guy like Jones in here was applauded by nearly everyone, fan or "expert" alike. our current production sucks for all sorts of reasons, but keeping passing targets on our team has not generally been a weakness of our current GM. I can't help but think that if Montgomery isn't missing time our passing game isn't looking so bad. It might not be Nelson, jennings, Jones, Cobb, but it's better. Toss in a healthy 2nd year player in Abbrederis and we're probably just fine.
The offense really seemed to start sputtering when Montgomery went out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The offense really seemed to start sputtering when Montgomery went out.
I think the offense started sputtering the moment we lost Jordy or at least shortly after Cobb's injury. The offense has basically been playing most of the season short one or more wide receivers each game, which really makes continuity difficult.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The frustrating thing about that article is the coach talks about Janis finally running crisper routes, etc. Seriously? Did anyone watch Devante Adams and James Jones route running in the last game? I can't imagine it gets much worse than that. So, why not give Janis a shot?

I hope they do, because they have nothing to lose with how their other recievers are playing.

Sky King

Reaction score
Rodgers has an above average in his aversion to throwing INTs. I appreciate that. However, he gets the biggest paycheck for a reason and it's not to have other people make him look better. He has a responsibility to lift his teammates and he has the talent to do so. I'm just wondering where the real Aaron Rodgers, that we've all come to know and love, has been hiding these past several weeks. I wish him good fortune again, starting tonight.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has an above average in his aversion to throwing INTs. I appreciate that. However, he gets the biggest paycheck for a reason and it's not to have other people make him look better. He has a responsibility to lift his teammates and he has the talent to do so. I'm just wondering where the real Aaron Rodgers, that we've all come to know and love, has been hiding these past several weeks. I wish him good fortune again, starting tonight.
He's doing all he can to make Adams look better than he actually is. If you can't bring yourself to catch easy balls when you're fortunate enough to be on a good team with an elite QB, there's no place for you in the league.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"He was invited to the NFL Combine, but was projected to go undrafted.[8] It was said he had good size to be in the NFL, good balance and body control, and outstanding leaping ability.[9] However, he was also said to be slow off of blocks and had average suddenness to get out of coverage with inconsistent hands."

From Boykin's Wiki page, but it sure describes Adams.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's doing all he can to make Adams look better than he actually is. If you can't bring yourself to catch easy balls when you're fortunate enough to be on a good team with an elite QB, there's no place for you in the league.

With as many times as Rodgers has missed throws the last two months nobody should be saying he's putting guys in position to look better then they are.

This isn't an excuse for Adams and his drops but merely pointing out the struggle has been a result of joint failures of BOTH our prized QB and our WRs. Hell Cobb and Jones are dropping passes left n right also so spread the blame around if that's the way you wanna go.

Also please remember Jordy early in his career had a stretch where he couldn't catch a cold either so let's not act like Adams is some scrub that was a wasted pick. There was a reason why EVERY ONE in the organization raved about him in the offseason. The boy has a mental block right now. Give him time to get over it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"He was invited to the NFL Combine, but was projected to go undrafted.[8] It was said he had good size to be in the NFL, good balance and body control, and outstanding leaping ability.[9] However, he was also said to be slow off of blocks and had average suddenness to get out of coverage with inconsistent hands."

From Boykin's Wiki page, but it sure describes Adams.

You mean outside of the "projected to go undrafted" part and the fact that the negatives listed are generally listed for every single WR taken out side of the 1st round

Members online