Davante Adams

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what constitutes a drop? They listed 6 for the year during the Raiders game, and that seemed like an incredibly conservative number. I recall one game where he missed at least 4-5. Many balls just go straight through his hands, do those count?

I just don't find it possible that any receiver misses passes at a higher percentage than him.

I would think they count somewhat equally against all receivers, so if its conservative for Davante, I would think it's that way for everyone.

And make no mistake when I watched JJ, his were worse.

Like these two touchdowns...

Super bowl -

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81e2cb38/James-Jones-drop

Eagles playoff game -

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/113185789.html

One thing I did notice is that Jones had like zero seperation on the first one. Amazing throw... DAMN

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think they count somewhat equally against all receivers, so if its conservative for Davante, I would think it's that way for everyone.

And make no mistake when I watched JJ, his were worse.

Like these two touchdowns...

Super bowl -

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81e2cb38/James-Jones-drop

Eagles playoff game -

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/113185789.html

One thing I did notice is that Jones had like zero seperation on the first one. Amazing throw... DAMN
I have seen Adams drop a couple like Jones did in the first video.

I have a hard time understanding why these receivers have so much trouble catching the ball. It shouldn't take a guy years to be able to do the most basic of receiver fundamentals, and that is to catch perfectly thrown balls.

Adams just isn't that exciting to me, even if he lives up to his potential. For one thing, that would require him possessing characteristics he just doesn't seem to have-competitiveness and toughness, both mental and physical. He isn't athletic enough to get many open opportunities, so there will be many contested throws coming his way. And Rodgers just has a terrible completion percentage when throwing his way, both this year and last year. There's got to be something to that.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen Adams drop a couple like Jones did in the first video.

I have a hard time understanding why these receivers have so much trouble catching the ball. It shouldn't take a guy years to be able to do the most basic of receiver fundamentals, and that is to catch perfectly thrown balls.

Adams just isn't that exciting to me, even if he lives up to his potential. For one thing, that would require him possessing characteristics he just doesn't seem to have-competitiveness and toughness, both mental and physical. He isn't athletic enough to get many open opportunities, so there will be many contested throws coming his way. And Rodgers just has a terrible completion percentage when throwing his way, both this year and last year. There's got to be something to that.

If I had a guess, I would say catching is suppose to be something you do naturally and mind needs to be there too.... The first couple years you are so worried about "do i cut in or out" "Is he going to bump me?" "is this a 4 yard route?" "did he audible?"

That they have a hard time just playing the game.

IMO is more athletic than JJ has ever been... Not to say he will ever be as good. But never know.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had a guess, I would say catching is suppose to be something you do naturally and mind needs to be there too.... The first couple years you are so worried about "do i cut in or out" "Is he going to bump me?" "is this a 4 yard route?" "did he audible?"

That they have a hard time just playing the game.

IMO is more athletic than JJ has ever been... Not to say he will ever be as good. But never know.
You're probably right about that, but JJ isn't really a measuring stick I'd use for athleticism. He obviously made the most of what he had, and hopefully Adams matures. But we need someone now, and there is a guy picked a few spots after Adams who has 14 TDs. Nice going, TT. I don't care what the scouts said, he is supposed to be good at picking the right guy and he failed miserably.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably right about that, but JJ isn't really a measuring stick I'd use for athleticism. He obviously made the most of what he had, and hopefully Adams matures. But we need someone now, and there is a guy picked a few spots after Adams who has 14 TDs. Nice going, TT. I don't care what the scouts said, he is supposed to be good at picking the right guy and he failed miserably.

It's a fair point Robinson, has been a beast this year. But he also has an absurd 144 targets... coverts them at 52 percent. The same rate as Adams. But Robinson is being targeted like a mad man, hasn't been relatively healthy as well.

I can't argue at all that they are equals... But Ill give it a year or two more before making a final decision. Jordy didn't have a 1k yard season till year 4 and that turned out well in the end.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a fair point Robinson, has been a beast this year. But he also has an absurd 144 targets... coverts them at 52 percent. The same rate as Adams. But Robinson is being targeted like a mad man, hasn't been relatively healthy as well.

I can't argue at all that they are equals... But Ill give it a year or two more before making a final decision. Jordy didn't have a 1k yard season till year 4 and that turned out well in the end.
I understand that. But at this point, we don't have that much time.

But Bortles isn't anywhere close to being as accurate as Rodgers. He's got an excellent supporting cast and his completion is below 60%. But as you said, all things aren't equal.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jordy didn't have a 1k season for the first few years due to lack of opportunity. Our WR corps was so deep that he didn't really get his chance until Driver aged and declined. Davante, on the other hand, has had plenty of opportunity this year. It's been a huge disappointment, although I agree that we shouldn't completely give up on him yet.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that Adams is not doing is using his body to block the DB's from deflecting the pass. There are times when Rodgers will throw the ball to an open spot and expect the WR to get to the ball and twist his body to keep the DB away from the ball. Adams is not doing that which causes more batted down passes or picks. That is why Rodgers does not like to target Adams. It happened last year in the end zone in the first quarter in the Championship game. If Adams uses his body he makes the grab and the Packers go to the Super Bowl. Instead he went after the ball with only his arms and Sherman made the pick. Right now Adams is looking like a high draft pick bust. Along with Rick Rodgers as another high draft pick bust and the 2024 draft is starting to look devastating no matter what Kinsley has done.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy didn't have a 1k season for the first few years due to lack of opportunity. Our WR corps was so deep that he didn't really get his chance until Driver aged and declined. Davante, on the other hand, has had plenty of opportunity this year. It's been a huge disappointment, although I agree that we shouldn't completely give up on him yet.

He had as many targets as Adams... He had the dropsies as well. But they were able to relay on more established players till he got his feet wet in the offense. So it wasn't as glaring.

A luxury the Packers lost this year. And Cobb has been very disappointing as well. To me even more so than Adams.

chefbob58

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM, head coach, and offensive coordinator should be a position of need. Mediocre talent, and the coach can't come up with a plan that works.
Only 1 coach could make Rodgers and Mathews average players ours. Tired of the Nelson excuses. Our receivers can't even get off the line get open or catch the ball. Every team has injuries just shut up make a game plan and motivate your players. I was at the game Sunday and have never been so embarrassed. We were beat before halftime. As I watched the team come out for the second half. Not 1 player ran, no talk, towels over their heads in give up mode. McCarthy is the luckiest coach ever, to walk into a team with Favre and Rodgers waiting but not much to show for it. I live here in Arizona and have watched Bruce Arens build a team from nothing because his players believe in him and will play for him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that Adams is not doing is using his body to block the DB's from deflecting the pass. There are times when Rodgers will throw the ball to an open spot and expect the WR to get to the ball and twist his body to keep the DB away from the ball. Adams is not doing that which causes more batted down passes or picks. That is why Rodgers does not like to target Adams. It happened last year in the end zone in the first quarter in the Championship game. If Adams uses his body he makes the grab and the Packers go to the Super Bowl. Instead he went after the ball with only his arms and Sherman made the pick. Right now Adams is looking like a high draft pick bust. Along with Rick Rodgers as another high draft pick bust and the 2024 draft is starting to look devastating no matter what Kinsley has done.
Adams is looking very, very raw as a potential #2 WR. When he high points the ball, you see the player he could be, but then you witness the ball fly right through his hands. And he just doesn't seem familiar with press coverage and how to get separation. And other things, as you mentioned. That's the risk of getting a player who didn't go up against much competition in college. He didn't really have to do much to get open.
He had as many targets as Adams... He had the dropsies as well. But they were able to relay on more established players till he got his feet wet in the offense. So it wasn't as glaring.

A luxury the Packers lost this year. And Cobb has been very disappointing as well. To me even more so than Adams.
Cobb has been a non-factor, but what did they expect. He never did anything to suggest he could handle most of the attention of the defense, yet they paid him more than Marshall, Brown, and even Jordy, and others who have proven they can.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread is depressing!

I think it should inspire some hope, Adams is no worse off than Jordy at this point in his career. Difference is Jordy got to hide behind established players and his less than stellar performances weren't an indication of what he could become.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it should inspire some hope, Adams is no worse off than Jordy at this point in his career. Difference is Jordy got to hide behind established players and his less than stellar performances weren't an indication of what he could become.
I don't understand why our receivers take so long to develop. If you look at most of the great receivers around the league, they have most certainly improved since their rookie season, but they were much more functional early on.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why our receivers take so long to develop. If you look at most of the great receivers around the league, they have most certainly improved since their rookie season, but they were much more functional early on.

Only two things I can think of... Perhaps the offense is really complex, built on learning body language for certain route and timing.

Or two... They don't draft for NFL ready receivers. But instead ones with high ceilings that take time to develop.

Since without the injury to Jordy, Adams would have had time to adjust at a much slower pace.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jordy just didn't play. But he has always had great hands. Just look at the receptions he had in college. Not saying Devonte can't turn it around. I say throw to him early and if he doesn't come through; bench him for Abredaris who should probably be playing more anyway. Also, simply trying to get Cobb more touches does not cut it. He should play slot and go in motion more. Maybe now we can use Quarless for more of the downfield blocking. I think Cobb is too small. I really think we need to throw to set up the run. They are stacking the line against us. Jones seems to exclusively run routes down the sidelines. Send him over the middle more if only to try and confuse the d.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jordy just didn't play. But he has always had great hands. Just look at the receptions he had in college. Not saying Devonte can't turn it around. I say throw to him early and if he doesn't come through; bench him for Abredaris who should probably be playing more anyway. Also, simply trying to get Cobb more touches does not cut it. He should play slot and go in motion more. Maybe now we can use Quarless for more of the downfield blocking. I think Cobb is too small. I really think we need to throw to set up the run. They are stacking the line against us. Jones seems to exclusively run routes down the sidelines. Send him over the middle more if only to try and confuse the d.

Jordy had higher drop rate than Davante up until at least 2013 at .... Quite a bit higher in fact.

The reason you don't remember this is because he wasn't the focal point of the offense who was counted on week in and week out. Driver and Jennings had that duty.

Just to give you some memory enhancers... This was a game losing drop. Not that we didn't do other things badly that game.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...-Rodgers/a510fe39-dcbc-414b-80fc-9b8f5e2508e3

Here is Jordy's Drop Rate in his career as of 2013... The year he turned it around. 8.9%

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-nelson-quietly-became-top-three-nfl-receiver

Here is Davante's this year 8.0% 2015 and 3.0% in 2014

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

People have a bad view of Adams because of the offensive sputters this year... It isn't necessarily backed up by any stat. He doesn't drop more passes than Amari Cooper or Julian Edelman. It's just something quick to point out to make sense of how badly this offense has played as a whole.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy had higher drop rate than Davante up until at least 2013 at .... Quite a bit higher in fact.

The reason you don't remember this is because he wasn't the focal point of the offense who was counted on week in and week out. Driver and Jennings had that duty.

Just to give you some memory enhancers... This was a game losing drop. Not that we didn't do other things badly that game.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...-Rodgers/a510fe39-dcbc-414b-80fc-9b8f5e2508e3

Here is Jordy's Drop Rate in his career as of 2013... The year he turned it around. 8.9%

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-nelson-quietly-became-top-three-nfl-receiver

Here is Davante's this year 8.0% 2015 and 3.0% in 2014

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

People have a bad view of Adams because of the offensive sputters this year... It isn't necessarily backed up by any stat. He doesn't drop more passes than Amari Cooper or Julian Edelman. It's just something quick to point out to make sense of how badly this offense has played as a whole.
Adams has a reputation as a pass dropping machine among anyone who has seen him play, including the commentators for these games. I just think the drop count is way too generous. But even if figure were true, those players do much, much more to help their teams and elevate the offense, while you see him do as much or more harm than good out there. So the drops stick with you a lot more since he hasn't done anything to redeem himself.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams has a reputation as a pass dropping machine among anyone who has seen him play, including the commentators for these games. I just think the drop count is way too generous. But even if figure were true, those players do much, much more to help their teams and elevate the offense, while you see him do as much or more harm than good out there. So the drops stick with you a lot more since he hasn't done anything to redeem himself.

Absolutely, I am just saying in career so far he is no further behind or worse than Jordy or JJ... I think the expectations were just too high. To this day JJ doesn't have a 900 yard season, and only one 800 yard season. He was plagued by drops horribly his first couple years and was the GOAT on more than one occasion.

All I am saying, while he has certainly been disappointing... I don't think parting ways for a Abbrederis or Janis is the right answer. And I still have faith he can become somewhere between a JJ and Jordy type player.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely, I am just saying in career so far he is no further behind or worse than Jordy or JJ... I think the expectations were just too high. To this day JJ doesn't have a 900 yard season, and only one 800 yard season. He was plagued by drops horribly his first couple years and was the GOAT on more than one occasion.

All I am saying, while he has certainly been disappointing... I don't think parting ways for a Abbrederis or Janis is the right answer. And I still have faith he can become somewhere between a JJ and Jordy type player.
JJ is not a guy I really use as a measuring stick. Adams should have the ability to be as good or better.

I think Abbrederis could be beneficial. He had that drop, but he is also the better route runner right now and he's better at separating from press coverage. And he's a hard-working, team-first kind of guy, unlike what Adams is showing. Adams just doesn't seem like his head is where it should be in the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The things we don't see are what Adams is doing off the field in the classroom and in practice. Granted, I am not pleased with the way Adams has played this year, but can say that about most of the offense. Is he a #1 or #2 receiver, today? No....but the staff obviously sees something in him to keep him out there. If Montgomery was playing and playing well, I'm guessing Adams is our #4, but that isn't the case and neither Abby or Janis have done enough to push Adams out. He is an easy scapegoat right now, but so are #12, #18, #69, #44......right down the line....when they don't execute as desired.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The good thing about the problem of too many drops is it's fixable. Jones is exhibit A for that idea. He can even improve his attitude and dedication during the off season if those are lacking. Whether or not he chooses to do so...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Adams body of work when he is making good things happen, with good routes and nice catches is another factor that keeps him playing. Tough Sophomore year for him no doubt, but have to wonder how he would be playing if the whole offense was actually playing well. Maybe too much pressure heaped on the shoulders of a young man when Jordy went down.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I concur. I would go so far as to consider trading Cobb. New contract...youth on his side. He took the money and didn't raise his game, especially after Jordi Nelson went down.

Members online

Latest posts