Davante Adams

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like he did here when he knew he wasn't going to be here much longer and earlier in his career when 80K strong "fans" boo'd him regularly and wanted him run out of town and all he did was put his nose down and work, week after week. I suspect he will for the Raiders too. Just like he continued to do when they **** canned his very close friend and big reason he wanted to be there in the first place.

People can say things and have displeasure without causing problems or making waves.

as for getting out from under the contract. every team who signs a 30YO receiver is going to be looking to end that before it all pays out. I don't think this will be it though. I think their HC is a doofus and will make all their good players they've acquired, expendable so they can start over in a year or 2

Reaction score
Not that I disagree with trading Rodgers at all, I don't, but I wouldn't classify him as "not wanting to be here". I think he did, but the Packers wanted to move on. Adams clearly wanted to leave and i thought getting what they did for him was an excellent job by Gute.

I think the Rodgers trade he did pretty well for us too, but if he wasn't due 60M next year for being on the roster this year, I'm not sure he's currently wearing a different shade of green.
I did witness Brian respond to that as he was questioned. He said that after failed attempts of not being able to contact Rodgers, the Packers decided to move on. They even got excuses as to why Aaron didn’t respond. Brian was in California twice and Aaron ignored his calls. That’s pretty sad if you ask me.

To me that’s as much on Aaron as anyone. Not to say they would’ve necessarily come to an agreement (they might have asked for a restructure for all I know) but the Packers Brass attempted to work with Aaron and they got stonewalled on at least 3 occasions that I know of (The 3rd occasion was post Darkness Retreat by phone, multiple times) The Packers were forced to go another direction. I don’t think Brian would dare lie about that after everything they’ve been through, it would be too risky to blow up in his face.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I did witness Brian respond to that as he was questioned. He said that after failed attempts of not being able to contact Rodgers, the Packers decided to move on. They even got excuses as to why Aaron didn’t respond. Brian was in California twice and Aaron ignored his calls. That’s pretty sad if you ask me.

To me that’s as much on Aaron as anyone. Not to say they would’ve necessarily come to an agreement (they might have asked for a restructure for all I know) but the Packers Brass attempted to work with Aaron and they got stonewalled on at least 3 occasions that I know of (The 3rd occasion was post Darkness Retreat by phone, multiple times) The Packers were forced to go another direction. I don’t think Brian would dare lie about that after everything they’ve been through, it would be too risky to blow up in his face.
Agreed. This recent comment by Aaron Jones makes me think that players knew AR wanted out of Green Bay.

“A-Rod doesn’t want to be here, so he’s not going to be here. You’ve got to shift your focus and get ready.”

Also, I'm guessing that Rodgers wanted to give everyone the impression that him being traded, wasn't what he wanted. Playing the martyr and pretending that he came out of the Darkness intent on playing for The Packers, but implying that they had already moved on without trying to tell him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Catch percentage doesn't necessarily relate to the player's ability to catch the ball. That figure can drop significantly if the QB throws you "into coverage." I've watched too many QBs who have that problem. I've also watched a lot of coaches set their routes in a way that puts them in harm's way quite often. One of the worst routes is the short, across the middle route, where it's all too easy for a LB to get into position to put a hard whack on the receiver just as the ball touches their hands. It's very difficult hanging onto that ball, and it's counted as a missed chance in the stats. Often, it's even counted as a drop, when it probably shouldn't be.

There's no doubt that the quarterback has a huge impact on a receiver's catch percentage as well.

Although his catch percentage dropped his yards/reception was 2-3 yds longer than most of his seasons in GB. His role & play calling were different than in GB which was to be expected.

I haven't looked into it but if his depth or typical target distance also increased as I'd assume since his yards/rec did - that also would yield a typically lower percentage of completion rating - something many of you have seen me provide tons of statistical history for when folks were crucifying MVS for lower percentage.

It's true the Raiders used Adams differently as his average depth of target of 12.8 yards in 2022 was the highest in his career by a yard.

I know my position is likely in a minority on Adams and that’s fine, once I align with societies position then I 100% know I’m altogether lost, so I consider being in the minority a compliment. I’m glad we didn’t sign Davante Adams to a $141.25mil deal.

I agree it was a smart move to not sign Adams to that deal. Although it seems Gutekunst offered him even more money to stay with the Packers.

Might be thinking about life in the Big Easy with Derek Carr, or reunite with Aaron in New York. Or maybe he's California Dreamin', a little closer to home for him.

Or chasing a ring in Philly or KC? A lot of places seem to make more sense for Davante than Las Vegas right now.

The Raiders won't trade Adams this offseason as the move would result in an additional cap hit.

Rodgers not picking up the phone when Gutekunst tried to reach him on several occasions is absolutely ridiculous. That's solely on him and might have factored into the Packers deciding to move on.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Adams was in Green Bay, he was the ultimate team player. He played through injuries that would've sidelined other guys in the hot tub for much longer. When Rodgers was hurt, he immediately became the primary underneath security blanket for Hundley. I could go on but despite having only moderate physical skills, he's made himself great by sheer hard work and determination. I want guys like that on my team. I think he saw the handwriting on the wall with AR and wanted to avoid another go around with struggling young qb's at the end stages of his career. I think his decision to seek greener pastures helped the Packers gain valuable cap space and draft picks. While that probably wasn't his motivation, he helped the team again on his way out. I'm rooting for him to make it someday into the HOF.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt that the quarterback has a huge impact on a receiver's catch percentage as well.

Rodgers not picking up the phone when Gutekunst tried to reach him on several occasions is absolutely ridiculous. That's solely on him and might have factored into the Packers deciding to move on.
Like I said when it happened, I think it was a case of both parties knowing what was coming and not doing a whole lot to stop it.

I think Rodgers knew he was done in GB more than he really wanted to leave. I think the FO knew he was too expensive to keep going forward more than they really wanted him gone this year.

It was like 2 people knowing their relationship is over and not doing anything much to prevent it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Adams was in Green Bay, he was the ultimate team player. He played through injuries that would've sidelined other guys in the hot tub for much longer. When Rodgers was hurt, he immediately became the primary underneath security blanket for Hundley. I could go on but despite having only moderate physical skills, he's made himself great by sheer hard work and determination. I want guys like that on my team. I think he saw the handwriting on the wall with AR and wanted to avoid another go around with struggling young qb's at the end stages of his career. I think his decision to seek greener pastures helped the Packers gain valuable cap space and draft picks. While that probably wasn't his motivation, he helped the team again on his way out. I'm rooting for him to make it someday into the HOF.
Pretty well said

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it was a smart move to not sign Adams to that deal. Although it seems Gutekunst offered him even more money to stay with the Packers.
It seems to me that we are going to be in really good shape next year financially. Don't know what will happen with Jordan but all teams have to pay their QB. Maybe even better shape if Bach plays well and we can trade him. jmo. But I am very much looking forward to this year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to recent reports, the Packers are using their in-person predraft visits to guage a WR's football IQ/playbook knowledge. They were impressed with Doubs, Watson and Toure in 2022 and Wicks in 2023 leading them to get picked. It appears that the FO is trying to avoid another Jake Sternberger fiasco when he couldn't get on the field because he suppossedly didn't know the playbook. if true, I like it. Winners learn from their mistakes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that we are going to be in really good shape next year financially. Don't know what will happen with Jordan but all teams have to pay their QB. Maybe even better shape if Bach plays well and we can trade him. jmo. But I am very much looking forward to this year.
I always say, if you’re in a position that you need to pay a quarterback, that’s a good place to be

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he saw the handwriting on the wall with AR and wanted to avoid another go around with struggling young qb's at the end stages of his career.

That didn't work out well for Adams with the Raiders moving on from Carr after only one season though.

At this point, the Packers have $232.3 million in cap space allocated towards the 2024 season. That's the 10th most in the league. They will most likely reduce that number by $21.5 million by moving on from Bakhtiari though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts