Davante Adams

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean outside of the "projected to go undrafted" part and the fact that the negatives listed are generally listed for every single WR taken out side of the 1st round
He also had inflated stats and exposure due to the system his team had and the weak competition. But it was really just a joke.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it is pretty simple. If Devante can start concentrating on the ball and catch it; he will be fine. I think most times when there are a lot of drops, it is because the player is thinking into the immediate future. He can think about what he might do before the play but when he sees the ball coming his way, his concentration has to be 100% on the ball until he brings it in. Then let instincts take over for a split second and then look where you want to go.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it is pretty simple. If Devante can start concentrating on the ball and catch it; he will be fine. I think most times when there are a lot of drops, it is because the player is thinking into the immediate future. He can think about what he might do before the play but when he sees the ball coming his way, his concentration has to be 100% on the ball until he brings it in. Then let instincts take over for a split second and then look where you want to go.
I just don't think you can trust a player like that to be on the field. He shouldn't be struggling with catching fundamentals so much. And his route running and athleticism is average. The numbers don't lie-he makes Rodgers look like a terrible QB.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wish it were that simple. If a few drops were Davante's only issue this year, he wouldn't be getting this much attention.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets realize this dude JUST turned 23 years old..................... 23..................... just turned............

maybe we give him a little slack? lol
I wouldn't say it if he didn't have potential. great potential...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I see a big guy who's burst leaves guys in the dust. A jack rabbit that can defy gravity. But the pressure got to him, Expectations so high... Nobody realizing this is a 22 year old kid who BARELY got his footing in the NFL before being leaned on heavily... He obviously wasn't ready...

But to say he doesn't have great potential is wrong.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no 'great' potential there. He's JAG.
Love your enthusiasm, Eli, but no sale for me on Adams.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today is Davante's birthday apparently...I hope he doesn't drop his birthday cake.
Think Davante needs to keep his head in the game this time of the year its hard to trust him too many drops give him a chance but if his drops don't stop he needs to ride the bench!

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping he would come around but I am just not seeing it at this moment. It seems every game he has easy drops and just doesn't look like he is very interested out there. I really think they should give Abby more playing time in his place right now. Maybe if he sits for a while he will come back more dedicated to his craft. I am not saying give up on him just let him come off the bench in 4 WR sets maybe that will light a fire under him.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping he would come around but I am just not seeing it at this moment. It seems every game he has easy drops and just doesn't look like he is very interested out there. I really think they should give Abby more playing time in his place right now. Maybe if he sits for a while he will come back more dedicated to his craft. I am not saying give up on him just let him come off the bench in 4 WR sets maybe that will light a fire under him.

I agree about giving Abby playing time. Davante just isn't getting the job done. Abby can't be any worse, and he is at least (allegedly) a little bit faster which is something we're dying for.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a big Janis fan like a lot of people but seeing his offensive performance last week I was not very encouraged. Good special teams guy but he really needs to work on his WR skills.

Sky King

Reaction score
The waiver wire has historically been heavily littered with guys whose potential was never quite realized. For me, it's still too early to make that call with finality regarding Adams ultimate status. But like some others, I'm seeing consistently below average performances out of a guy from whom so much more had been expected (and needed) this season. He's had a rather lengthy audition and it has not gone very well.

Maybe he needs a fresh start, either next season with the Packers or even with another team. But continuing to play him as a starter and expecting better results to magically appear seems to be an invitation for even deeper disappointment for all concerned. Getting benched may actually help him to clear his head without the constant and growing scrutiny he's been under for failing to reach even modest expectations. His confidence has to be shot.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I see a big guy who's burst leaves guys in the dust. A jack rabbit that can defy gravity. But the pressure got to him, Expectations so high... Nobody realizing this is a 22 year old kid who BARELY got his footing in the NFL before being leaned on heavily... He obviously wasn't ready...

But to say he doesn't have great potential is wrong.
That's a complete exaggeration. He's 6'1, which is decent size, but he lacks physicality to fight off press coverage and the athleticism to get open. And every receiver in the league has like a 37-42' vertical leap, so I'm not sure why his is supposed to be such a jaw dropping attribute.

He's got a quick first step, but that's the only thing I've seen him use on a consistent basis.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams was drafted to be groomed. He was 21 years old when he came here. Anyone who expected him to be a star from day 1 is disappointed. But in two years he is going to be climbing up the ladder again. And everyone will be gaga googoo over him again. He is an investment. play it out. and back up the young man. He is after all a GBPacker

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, two years from now doesn't help cover for the loss of Jordy, nor does it help the complete turn-around from the second half of last year. He certainly has not been the "next man up", and that is what has disappointed so many.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams was drafted to be groomed. He was 21 years old when he came here. Anyone who expected him to be a star from day 1 is disappointed. But in two years he is going to be climbing up the ladder again. And everyone will be gaga googoo over him again. He is an investment. play it out. and back up the young man. He is after all a GBPacker
If anyone was going goo goo over him based on 1-2 good games, then you are impressed far too easily. Many guys come out of nowhere each week and look like stars, only to fall into oblivion. Same with Boykin.

There were flashes last year, but we now realize how much Jordy opened things up for everyone else. Rodgers still had an average completion percentage last year when targeting Adams.

The great receivers are great competitors-they are matched up against guys all day and love having the opportunity to beat them and get open. Adams never really experienced tough competition at Fresno, and he doesn't seem competitive from everything we've witness this year-you'll see him getting discouraged and whining for a flag more often than beating pass coverage or making a tough catch.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait. Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry and Martavis Bryant were drafted AFTER Davante Adams? Adams has more drops than an EDM concert.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait. Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry and Martavis Bryant were drafted AFTER Davante Adams? Adams has more drops than an EDM concert.

Just to clear this up, Davante's drop aren't that bad... They are over exaggerated horribly. Want a list of WR and TE that drop more passes per target than him

1. Julian Edelman
2. Tyler Eifert
3. Amari Cooper
4. Martavis Bryant
5. Mike Evans
6. DT

I must be the only person in the world still holding out hope on this kid. I think his injury has taken some speed off but the Packers really have no better options and need him. And please don't tell me Janis is a better receiver.

JJ has some of the worst drops I have ever witnessed, the Packers stuck with him and he turned out ok. Jordy had the drops early in his career. In fact, his third year, his drop rate is almost the same as Adams right now 6.3 to 6.8...

I don't know, I may be the only one but I wont jump ship yet.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clear this up, Davante's drop aren't that bad... They are over exaggerated horribly. Want a list of WR and TE that drop more passes per target than him

1. Julian Edelman
2. Tyler Eifert
3. Amari Cooper
4. Martavis Bryant
5. Mike Evans
6. DT

I must be the only person in the world still holding out hope on this kid. I think his injury has taken some speed off but the Packers really have no better options and need him. And please don't tell me Janis is a better receiver.

JJ has some of the worst drops I have ever witnessed, the Packers stuck with him and he turned out ok. Jordy had the drops early in his career. In fact, his third year, his drop rate is almost the same as Adams right now 6.3 to 6.8...

I don't know, I may be the only one but I wont jump ship yet.
But what constitutes a drop? They listed 6 for the year during the Raiders game, and that seemed like an incredibly conservative number. I recall one game where he missed at least 4-5. Many balls just go straight through his hands, do those count?

I just don't find it possible that any receiver misses passes at a higher percentage than him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts