D Droppal Paddlehands

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember him at all that early, though I would have if he were as bad as Adams. He may be able to run all of the routes, but there's a 50/50 chance he'll drop any ball thrown beyond the LOS. He's a terribly inefficient target

Give me a receiver who may not be able to do an awesome dunk, but can catch a ball in traffic, on a slant, over the shoulder, or anything required of an NFL receiver.

Jones was notorious for drops early in his career. Every bit as notorious as Adams is right now.

Perhaps it's more prevalent in your mind cause Jones was battling with Jordy for play time, who also had inconsistent hands early on, at the #3 and #4 WR spots playing behind Jennings and Driver whereas Adams was thrust into a much more featured role

D

Deleted member 6794

never advocated! said i wouldn't be surprised if he got cut.

It would be shocking if Adams got released though.

Said Davante Adams would be James Jones 2.0 when they drafted him. He is more athletic than Jones but Jones you could argue had better hands.

I don't have any statistical information about James Jones dropping the football early in his career but he only caught 57.5% of his targets during his first three seasons. Adams currently has a pretty similar catch rate at 55%.

I am happy Jordy is coming back and Cobb will be better because of it and it looks like Cook is the real deal.Other than those mentioned, I still don't like this receiving corp. It looks like they are still having trouble getting separation and when the ball is delivered there are too many drops. No wonder Janis was getting so much attention, the rest of the receivers suck worse than Janis does at least he is a gamer.

There aren't a lot of teams having more than two outstanding receivers in addition to a decent pass catching tight end. The Packers other receivers currently ahead of Janis on the depth chart all offer a different skill set that the coaching staff has to maximize and take advantage of. With Janis being injured there's fortunately no reason to further discuss his shortcomings.

No, it doesn't. But it sure makes a lot of sense to put him on the trading block. Adams may be better than Davis and Allison in some respects but none of that matters if you can't catch the stinking ball.

It doesn't make any sense to put Adams on the trading block. While he has been inconsistent he's by far the best option to start opposite of Nelson.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Said Davante Adams would be James Jones 2.0 when they drafted him. He is more athletic than Jones but Jones you could argue had better hands.
I don't remember him at all that early, though I would have if he were as bad as Adams. He may be able to run all of the routes, but there's a 50/50 chance he'll drop any ball thrown beyond the LOS. He's a terribly inefficient target
Digging through the archives finds this: https://www.packerforum.com/threads/will-james-jones-end-the-year-in-a-packer-uniform.38477/

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does Adams get so much heat for one bad year compared to other players, but Janis, who has done much less, has a lot of support?

Plenty of people want Adams him cut already. He's a talented second round pick and there's no way he gets cut currently.
Giving up on talented players quickly is the exact opposite of what the Packers do.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it doesn't. But it sure makes a lot of sense to put him on the trading block. Adams may be better than Davis and Allison in some respects but none of that matters if you can't catch the stinking ball. Allison is one of those guys who simply catches everything thrown his way. He has terrific hands and he wins jump balls. He could be a fantastic red zone threat and all around WR. I'm far more impressed with him than Davis so far.

As it stands, I think this would be a great lineup:

Nelson
Cobb
Monty
Janis
Abbrederis
Allison

Put Davis on the PS and trade Adams.

Without Matt Millen available, which GM is going to listen to a pitch like "I've got a 2nd round WR with 1/2 a good season on his resume. However, after my 1-2 punch, he's overshadowed by a bunch of guys with a total of 26 regular season catches, so I just don't have room on the roster for him any more"?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones always excelled at catching difficult passes, but struggled with his concentration on the mundane slants and hooks. He needed the ball thrown outside of the numbers!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, do we now give players two years to prove they're good and then cut them if they disappoint? Cause if we're going that route then Sam Shields wouldn't be on the team and Adams, for all his problems, has certainly had a better two year start than either Nick Perry or Datone Jones. Adams has been disappointing but Thompson thought he was the 53rd best player in the NFL draft for a reason.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does Adams get so much heat for one bad year compared to other players, but Janis, who has done much less, has a lot of support?

Plenty of people want Adams him cut already. He's a talented second round pick and there's no way he gets cut currently.
Giving up on talented players quickly is the exact opposite of what the Packers do.

Because fans don't see practices where guys like Janis disappoint (which is the reason they don't get time in-game). And it's far easier to make Adams a scapegoat on offense for last season, forgetting of course that relative to expectations Cobb was far worse than Adams as were Rodgers and Lacy. Yet somehow a second year guy was supposed to be able to elevate his game in spite of experienced vets like Lacy, Cobb and Rodgers collectively defecating themselves weekly.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, do we now give players two years to prove they're good and then cut them if they disappoint? Cause if we're going that route then Sam Shields wouldn't be on the team and Adams, for all his problems, has certainly had a better two year start than either Nick Perry or Datone Jones. Adams has been disappointing but Thompson thought he was the 53rd best player in the NFL draft for a reason.

As always, something like 'disappoint' is subjective, but, from packers.com -

• Appeared in 15 games with seven starts in 2011, collecting 36 tackles (32 solo), a career-high four INTs, 14 passes defensed and a forced fumble.
  • Earned the nickel CB job as an undrafted rookie in 2010 despite playing the position only one year in college. Finished his first season with 27 tackles (22 solo), two INTs and nine passes defensed.
  • With the exception of two missed games due to injury, held the nickel job throughout the regular season and playoffs in 2010, recording two interceptions in the regular season and two more in the NFC Championship Game at Chicago, the final one sealing the win in the game’s final minute and sending the Packers to the Super Bowl.
  • Made the transition to cornerback as a senior and progressed rapidly as a rookie under the tutelage of position coach Joe Whitt Jr., who considered him a potential high draft pick based on raw talent alone.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because fans don't see practices where guys like Janis disappoint (which is the reason they don't get time in-game). And it's far easier to make Adams a scapegoat on offense for last season, forgetting of course that relative to expectations Cobb was far worse than Adams as were Rodgers and Lacy. Yet somehow a second year guy was supposed to be able to elevate his game in spite of experienced vets like Lacy, Cobb and Rodgers collectively defecating themselves weekly.
There's some truth there, but really? Rodgers was worse than Adams? Adams had one of the worst seasons of any WR in the NFL. 9 YPC, a single TD, and a bunch of drops is pathetic for a starter.

Rodgers was above average , though it was a bad year by his standards . But I think he's got more excuses than Adam.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is a tough decision for me. He shows so much potential but just can't be trusted at this point. Most all the other receivers look good. Even the new kid from Cal showed me some things though I don't know why he didn't lay out for that long pass. Back to Adams. Geronimo really looks good! And you have to love his size. How could you let him go if he keeps making catches? His hands look very good and he is a big target. Sometimes you just have to let go.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the deal. Adams flashed potential in his first season, the same as Shields and others who have had decent starts to their NFL careers. However, Adams did have a pitiful second year but all measures and standards. I think that there was genuine optimism on this forum from most people that he could bounce back. His play throughout training camp and preseason though, has been strongly pointing towards a repeat of Year 2, not his rookie season.

Sky King

Reaction score
Without Matt Millen available, which GM is going to listen to a pitch like "I've got a 2nd round WR with 1/2 a good season on his resume. However, after my 1-2 punch, he's overshadowed by a bunch of guys with a total of 26 regular season catches, so I just don't have room on the roster for him any more"?
That's half the equation and only if the Packers were actually trying to peddle him which, personally, does not seem likely to me. How many other teams would want to acquire him more than the Packers would want to keep him? Not many and probably none. The only way to know that for sure would be after the fact because a trade had actually occurred.

Perhaps, the lone team that stands out more than any other under a trade scenario would be Oakland because Adams and Carr had such terrific chemistry playing together in college -- far, far better than Rodgers and Adams have had - level of competition between college and the pros notwithstanding. But even Oakland has talented WRs and they would have no real need to trade for Adams barring a plethora of injuries to their own WRs. They'll be protecting their starters this week just like every other team is likely to do. (Note: If Adams plays a lot this week it may be telling that he's not a lock as a starter.)

This is an NFL landscape that is allegedly deep in average or better talent at WR, and that also has a cap that discourages trading in most circumstances. Plus, throw in a GM that historically does not give-up easily on his own draft picks and that makes it even less plausible Adams gets traded. Any trades involving this particular player would seem rather unlikely because Adams has mostly been underwhelming and inconsistent. Again, who would want to trade for him and why? My guess is nobody and for obvious reasons.

No, the Packers will probably have to hang onto him a while longer and hope for the best even though Adams' "trophy case" remains rather bare. Maybe this is the year he finally becomes the player they they had once envisioned. But if what we've seen so far is actually what they had envisioned for a 2nd rounder then I may have to consider grabbing a pitchfork or a torch and joining the "Fire TT" crowd myself.

Every season delivers its share of surprise roster moves. It would qualify as a mighty big one if a trade involving Adams were to actually happen. It may be more likely that he'll be cut and that is also an unlikely possibility. Personally, my guess is that the Packers continue to roll the dice on a (so far) disappointing Adams.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's some truth there, but really? Rodgers was worse than Adams? Adams had one of the worst seasons of any WR in the NFL. 9 YPC, a single TD, and a bunch of drops is pathetic for a starter.

Rodgers was above average , though it was a bad year by his standards . But I think he's got more excuses than Adam.

Which is why I said, "relative to expectations"...did anyone expect Adams and Rodgers to play at the same level? No. People expected Rodgers to be the best QB in the NFL. So yes, Rodgers, relative to what he was expected to do, disappointed more than Adams.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense to put Adams on the trading block. While he has been inconsistent he's by far the best option to start opposite of Nelson.

Based on what, exactly? The second half of 2014? His hands are awful. Frequent drops are the unforgivable sin of receiving. And he tends to do it when it matters most. Adams is anti-clutch. Packers would be just fine without him.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Compliments of some dude on reddit

Attachments

• Screenshot (28).png
    Screenshot (28).png
    56.7 KB · Views: 120

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what, exactly? The second half of 2014? His hands are awful. Frequent drops are the unforgivable sin of receiving. And he tends to do it when it matters most. Adams is anti-clutch. Packers would be just fine without him.

Like when he made that 4th down catch that left me wondering how he came up with it in the last game. Or taking that fake spike pass from Rodgers in a playoff game. Clearly anti clutch :)

He's inconsistent, that's obvious. No need to make it sound worse than it is, because he has made some "clutch" catches too. He needs to get better to ever be better than a 3rd or 4th option, but he's done more and is doing more than some of these guys being mentioned to take his place.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All I have to say is that if he does the same thing as 2015, this will definitely cost us snaps and many yards, and even wins with this caliber team we have this year. Hopefully he does play to his ability.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only Cobb has had more receptions and receiving yards over his first two seasons since Rodgers became the starter than Adams. There's no doubt he has been way too inconsistent but I would really be interested in your solution for the starting receiver opposite of Nelson if Adams was to be traded or released.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I have to say is that if he does the same thing as 2015, this will definitely cost us snaps and many yards, and even wins with this caliber team we have this year. Hopefully he does play to his ability.

If Cobb and Rodgers plays like they did last year it will be FAR worse for the team. Let's not forget that last season was a team effort at being bad on offense.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would really be interested in your solution for the starting receiver opposite of Nelson if Adams was to be traded or released.

The solution for Adams isn't on the Packers at this time. As I said, After Cobb, Jordy and Cook, the receiving corp is a crap bag, including Adams.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only Cobb has had more receptions and receiving yards over his first two seasons since Rodgers became the starter than Adams. There's no doubt he has been way too inconsistent but I would really be interested in your solution for the starting receiver opposite of Nelson if Adams was to be traded or released.

How about anyone who displays any degree of reliability?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams will be gone 2nd round of cuts. I can't fathom they keep Allison (They should) Abberderis (Getting better) and Janis (Special teams guy) along with Adams, Jordy and Cobb.

Members online

Latest posts