Clinton-Dix traded to Redskins

H

HardRightEdge

Disagree. If that were true, then "dime" would essentially not exist. It almost always features a safety in a linebacker's role. Dime refers to personnel on the field. Whitehead was one of six defensive backs on the field. Hence, they were in dime. This is merely semantics, as we don't disagree about what the defense was doing, so I'll leave it there.
It is not symantics at all. Whitehead was taking Burks snaps doing what Burks was doing. Would you call it dime in games where Burks got a high snap count? No, you would not.

So what is "dime"? 6 DBs playing in the defensive backfield. Traditionally, it is a long yardage personnel group, typically zone or a man/zone combo. It's still played that way. The fact of the matter is Whitehead was in the box almost all day, defending the run or dropping in coverage just like an ILB. Because that is what he was in the current world of hybrid ILBs.

The prototypical long yardage (or late game prevent) dime is cover 2 or cover 3 with an ILB dropping into the 10-ish yards deep middle zone with 7 in coverage.

I don't care how many reporters or commentators may have called this "dime", it was not. What we can say is Pettine played a ton of nickel and a more than "normal" amount of dime as has been the case when the full complement of DBs have been active and healthy enough for a full boat of snaps. That would not include Whitehead in the Rams game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I keep looking at the numbers game. We have 3 young guys, all drafted high and all showing talent. So if you have King, Alexander and Jackson how do you get them all on the field, when healthy of course? Jackson still strikes me as a guy who has great ball hawking ability, can tackle and makes the most sense to play some safety.

Not sure if Jackson is hurt or in the doghouse, but he had 2 snaps against the Rams.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
TT strikes gold once again! Turning a 1st rd pick into a 4th. Pure genius!!!!
Not good use of a 1st round pick for sure. Dix has always had 4th round skills and is better suited as a box safety. Miscast here like others before him. Certainly one of Thompson’s poorer 1st round picks. Wonder what our scouts were saying about Dix prior to that draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep looking at the numbers game. We have 3 young guys, all drafted high and all showing talent. So if you have King, Alexander and Jackson how do you get them all on the field, when healthy of course? Jackson still strikes me as a guy who has great ball hawking ability, can tackle and makes the most sense to play some safety.
My thinking exactly. Jackson shows good instincts, something Dix never did. Moving Jackson to safety at this stage of the season probably means putting up with some errors and potentially long plays as a result, but I think it greatly increases our chances for turnovers to be created as well.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 game out of div led.. We shouldn't have the tie on our record but a win added on. Which would make us in a tie with bears but actually in 1st place..

We just took the undefeated team to the brink and should have had the opportunity to play for the win.

Yet some people think the GM believes the season is lost?

Wow.. .
Agreed. In fact to take it a step further.. it would seem to me that the Packer brass may have decided that this team should be much better than they have performed, and that even though they had a pretty good game this past Sunday, something has been holding them back. Perhaps certain attitudes in the locker room were perceived to be bigger distractions than we have been privy to as fans. Perhaps these personnel moves have been made in an attempt to solve that problem...precisely because they believe the team has a legitimate shot.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if Josh Jackson moves to the other safety, who's the other one?

Do we just put Josh Jones there and hope he can finally start putting it together??

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible Whithead will replace Clinton-Dix moving forward but I'm afraid most fans won't be excited about his play if they criticzed HHCD for his performance.
not necessarily if you pay attention to the things Dix has been criticized for.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The trades: I’m fine with both of them.

Montgomery’s offensive skills weren’t being effectively utilized.

Dix has a box safety skill set.

We’ll probably never know what really is going on in that locker room and the effects that both had on the group dynamics.

Will be interesting to see how both perform with their new teams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It is not symantics at all. Whitehead was taking Burks snaps doing what Burks was doing. Would you call it dime in games where Burks got a high snap count? No, you would not.

So what is "dime"? 6 DBs playing in the defensive backfield. Traditionally, it is a long yardage personnel group, typically zone or a man/zone combo. It's still played that way. The fact of the matter is Whitehead was in the box almost all day, defending the run or dropping in coverage just like an ILB. Because that is what he was in the current world of hybrid ILBs.

The prototypical long yardage (or late game prevent) dime is cover 2 or cover 3 with an ILB dropping into the 10-ish yards deep middle zone with 7 in coverage.

I don't care how many reporters or commentators may have called this "dime", it was not. What we can say is Pettine played a ton of nickel and a more than "normal" amount of dime as has been the case when the full complement of DBs have been active and healthy enough for a full boat of snaps. That would not include Whitehead in the Rams game.

No, I would not call it dime if Burks was on the field, because 5 defensive backs is nickel, not dime.

You're confused about what dime means. Again, it's personnel, not alignment Just because you use a 6th DB in a LB role doesn't make it nickel. Almost all dime packages feature a DB in a linebacker role.

6 defensive backs on the field is dime personnel. Read about it:

Here: "The dime package refers to six defensive backs on the field at the same time. The defense now employs four down linemen, one linebacker and six defensive backs. It is a lot like the nickel package. The only difference is a sixth defensive back for the Sam linebacker. The nickel and dime now play the roles of the Will and Sam linebacker."

Here: "Just as five defensive backs is called the nickel package, six defensive backs is called a dime package."

Here: "A defensive scheme in which the coordinator calls for six defensive backs, usually substituting them in place of linebackers."

Here: "A dime back is a sixth defensive back and he’s going to replace either a linebacker or a possibly even a lineman in certain situations."

Here: "a dime package, or personnel groupings with six defensive backs."

Here: "the dime package features six defensive backs."

Here: "In their dime package, the Steelers use their nickel base, but replace a LB (typically Vince Williams) with another DB (William Gay)."

Here: "Dime+" includes any package with more than five defensive backs."

Here: "The dime package, which features six defensive backs"

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if Clinton-Dix had a negative impact in the locker room. The Packers trading him made the team even worse at an already thin position. I'm quite sure the team would have been able to figure out a way to get along with him for another nine games.
Getting along and being successfully are not the same thing. Most everyone agrees that Dix was the best safety on the roster, and it’s unfortunate that he had to be sent away, but sometimes a player’s attitude can hurt a team more than what ever positive attributes his play on the field can contribute. Player motivation is a real thing, and at this point I’m curious to see what the secondary is going to look like with him gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, I would not call it dime if Burks was on the field, because 5 defensive backs is nickel, not dime.

You're confused about what dime means. Again, it's personnel, not alignment Just because you use a 6th DB in a LB role doesn't make it nickel. Almost all dime packages feature a DB in a linebacker role.

6 defensive backs on the field is dime personnel. Read about it:

Here: "The dime package refers to six defensive backs on the field at the same time. The defense now employs four down linemen, one linebacker and six defensive backs. It is a lot like the nickel package. The only difference is a sixth defensive back for the Sam linebacker. The nickel and dime now play the roles of the Will and Sam linebacker."

Here: "Just as five defensive backs is called the nickel package, six defensive backs is called a dime package."

Here: "A defensive scheme in which the coordinator calls for six defensive backs, usually substituting them in place of linebackers."

Here: "A dime back is a sixth defensive back and he’s going to replace either a linebacker or a possibly even a lineman in certain situations."

Here: "a dime package, or personnel groupings with six defensive backs."

Here: "the dime package features six defensive backs."

Here: "In their dime package, the Steelers use their nickel base, but replace a LB (typically Vince Williams) with another DB (William Gay)."

Here: "Dime+" includes any package with more than five defensive backs."

Here: "The dime package, which features six defensive backs"

Nickles, Dimes, Quarters......all I know is we need some "Change" and cash in some wins.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trades: I’m fine with both of them.

Montgomery’s offensive skills weren’t being effectively utilized.

Dix has a box safety skill set.

We’ll probably never know what really is going on in that locker room and the effects that both had on the group dynamics.

Will be interesting to see how both perform with their new teams.
Odd that we can be in agreement...and yet you threw a drive by disagree on my post above?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*grumbles*

I guess conversations in the trade deadline thread are closed to further discussion? :eek:

Just saw this article by Brian Jones. If its true, Dante Fowler was someone Gute was going after. The rationale as to why the deal didn't happen, according to the article, doesn't really make sense. Why would they pursue him, if this was a deal breaker?

"One of the reasons the Packers weren't able to land Fowler is the off-the-field issues he has gone through in his career. "

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...-teams-interested-in-Dante-Fowler--124049113/

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
*grumbles*

I guess conversations in the trade deadline thread are closed to further discussion? :eek:

Just saw this article by Brian Jones. If its true, Dante Fowler was someone Gute was going after. The rationale as to why the deal didn't happen, according to the article, doesn't really make sense. Why would they pursue him, if this was a deal breaker?

"One of the reasons the Packers weren't able to land Fowler is the off-the-field issues he has gone through in his career. "

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...-teams-interested-in-Dante-Fowler--124049113/
Doesn't really make much sense to pursue the guy if character issues was going to be a deal breaker, huh?

In my opinion, this wreaks of the Packers pursuing him and not wanting to pay the 3rd & 5th round price tag, but using the off the field incidents to scapegoat the real reason for not acquiring him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just want to see what Breeland can add to this team. He has some good skills and wasn't just signed to be on the inactive list.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Doesn't really make much sense to pursue the guy if character issues was going to be a deal breaker, huh?

In my opinion, this wreaks of the Packers pursuing him and not wanting to pay the 3rd & 5th round price tag, but using the off the field incidents to scapegoat the real reason for not acquiring him.

I just don't buy it. Those off the field incidents were already known and if they were deal breakers, why bother kicking the tires? I don't shop for cars and say "oh I could never buy that car, it has a reputation of being unreliable" and then go out and test drive it.

Maybe it was like what you are implying "we will give you a 4th, but because of his off field stuff, we won't pay anymore."

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*grumbles*

I agree that that is a very odd statement....I also agree that shutting down discussions for pointless administrative reasons is unnecessarily restrictive...and just leads to thread derailment elsewhere.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just don't buy it. Those off the field incidents were already known and if they were deal breakers, why bother kicking the tires? I don't shop for cars and say "oh I could never buy that car, it has a reputation of being unreliable" and then go out and test drive it.

Maybe it was like what you are implying "we will give you a 4th, but because of his off field stuff, we won't pay anymore."

I think the latter is probably what actually went on. It's not just that Fowler has had off-field legal trouble-- he's also been connected to a good bit of drama with his own teammates. I'm guessing that the FO just wouldn't match the Rams' offer because of the inherent risks they see in him from a character standpoint.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless they're getting someone back to play safety, this kind of feels like giving up on the season. Not to say that HHCD is the best player on the roster, but if you just replace him with in-house candidates, you're probably getting worse.
I am hoping we give Breeland or TW38 a look as a replacement. The way KK, JA and JJ are playing I think it would be great having another playmaker in the backend. Breeland, to me, is an ideal candidate since he's lost a step or two. He isn't afraid of contact and seems like a savvy player. Jones is a guy that obviously comes to mind but if he can't get on the field after this move, he may never!

I had such high hopes for HHCD but he was just too darn inconsistent. The guy is going to want to get PAID this off-season and if he wasn't part of the plans then I am stoked we at least recouped a decent pick for our troubles. The next few weeks are going to be interesting...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't find the article, because maybe it was while watching ESPN, but somewhere I heard that while the off-field issues were a concern, the Packers declined to match the price that the Rams were willing to pay. The person saying this added that they thought that the Rams overpaid. So be it. We shouldn't be in a pissing contest with a contender this season.