Clinton-Dix traded to Redskins

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a classic addition by subtraction...Team will be better of without
1. HAHA...guy couldn't tackle and had no ball skills... replace will be better
2. Ty...other 2 RB's will get more touches with having to give Ty his few 6 + snaps per game.
The only part missing was to replace Zook!

Replace Zook why, exactly? Do you not remember how bad our kick and punt coverage was before Zook came to town?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind is that Dix was a 2nd team All-Pro in 2016. Thompson didn't look like a fool then.

Good luck to HaHa - thanks for your service. Truthfully, I saw too much of Darren Sharper's style in him.

Service? I hope that was tongue in cheek.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like the move as the Packers definitely get worse at one of their weakest positions by trading Clinton-Dix. The move indicates the front office doesn't believe this year's team is capable of being a legit contender.

When you’ve watched, played, and coach football this long you notice these things.

It's hilarious when members of the forum post things like that to sound more credible.

As of now what is ratio of surviving players versus cut/traded among the approximately eight hundred DBs Ted Thompson drafted?

With yesterday's trades and Jake Ryan on injured reserve there are currently onl two players drafted by Thompson in 2014 and '15 on the roster. That's terrible for a team relying on a draft and develop philosophy.

Christmas came early! We get rid of this fake leader and Montgomery. The chemistry in the locker room is going to skyrocket getting rid of these nuisances who didn't want to be here.

Hey, why bother that the team got worse on the field??? It's great that trading HHCD ensured they all come along perfectly in the locker room.

Two open roster spots. Wonder who they bring up. I hope there is an all pro safety on our practice squad.

The Packers don't even have a safety on the practice squad.

Packers also add 5.5 million in 2018 cap space that can be rolled over to 2019 by dealing Dix and Montgomery.

Actuall if the Packers replace both Clinton-Dix and Montgomery with rookies on a minimum deal they will have saved $3 million in cap space by the end of this season.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will not miss seeing HHCD throw his shoulder pad into a WR or RB trying to knock the guy down instead of tackling him and then look around and wonder why the guy didn't fall down. P*** poor effort at tackling.

D

Deleted member 6794

They do have 2 safeties on the active roster that never play in Jones and Raven Greene.

Jones isn't suited to replace Clinton-Dix. Unfortunately there's no reason to believe Greene will be able to make up for the loss of HHCD either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with the trade. For all my gripes against Dix, I know he provided value. But i'm not sure if we get appreciably worse. I know what he's rated, I also know how many times i've seen him not step up to make a play, and how many times i've seen him take a bad angle and how many tackles the guy has missed. I also know how he cashed it in early last year when guys were still competing and what he said this year. I never trusted him to be a team player.

Maybe we're worse, but i'm excited to find out. I'm ok with a young guy making mistakes. I have less tolerance for a guy that thinks he's one thing, but often times plays like another. Anyway, we had a really good back half of defense against one of the most potent offenses in the league. We did that with high caliber guys like Jackson and Breeland on the bench. So while Dix is gone, we have options to get really good players on the field more. I'm not sure what it will look like yet, but Dix wasn't a game changer back there in the least. Safety play must be down this year to have him rated so high.

D

Deleted member 6794

We did that with high caliber guys like Jackson and Breeland on the bench.

Neither Breeland nor Jackson can play safety though. I guess the Packers will move Williams there but don't consider him an adequate replacement for Clinton-Dix.

H

HardRightEdge

Packers also add 5.5 million in 2018 cap space that can be rolled over to 2019 by dealing Dix and Montgomery.
It's about $3.9 mil in cap savings for those players minus the cost of replacements. If the replacements are rookie minimum players the subtraction is:

$480,000 x 2 = $960,000 x 9/17 = approx. $500,000

The 9/17 is the prorated pay for the 9 remaining weeks in the season. That proration also applies to the traded players' portion of their base salaries assumed by their new teams.

The net savings would be about $3.4 mil with those kinds of rookie replacements. If the replacements cost more, the savings would be less.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1 game out of div led.. We shouldn't have the tie on our record but a win added on. Which would make us in a tie with bears but actually in 1st place..

We just took the undefeated team to the brink and should have had the opportunity to play for the win.

Yet some people think the GM believes the season is lost?

Wow.. .

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Breeland nor Jackson can play safety though. I guess the Packers will move Williams there but don't consider him an adequate replacement for Clinton-Dix.
Like I said, I’m not sure how it’s going to look. I don’t think they radically change the defense, but they may not just try and replace HaHas responsibilities with another player either. There could be more change than just a player back there.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm definitely not giving HHCD a pass for poor recognition, being late getting to help his corners or sloppy tackling, I do wish this could have waited until the offseason. I know we all like Josh Jones like we do Aaron Jones, but I just can't be sure he's an upgrade in that spot. All that to say this secondary had better find a way to get better or the mob will come even harder after Joe Whitt Jr.

D

Deleted member 6794

Captain, do you think Jackson can be developed into a safety?

I don't consider that to be a smart move considering Jackson is a rookie and has never played the position.

It's about $3.9 mil in cap savings for those players minus the cost of replacements. If the replacements are rookie minimum players the subtraction is:

$480,000 x 2 = $960,000 x 9/17 = approx. $500,000

The net savings would be about $3.4 mil with those kinds of rookie replacements.

It's actually even a bit less than that as the Packers save $3.153 million for trading Clinton-Dix as well as another $379K for Montgomery.

Yet some people think the GM believes the season is lost?

Gutekunst trading away the best player on an already thin position at safety might indicate Gutekunst doesn't consider this year's team a legit contender.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of speculation that the Packers are going to move Williams to safety, but I have a different theory. While I'm sure Tramon will play a safety role on some snaps, as he did a bit on Sunday and as Jackson has at times, I think Jermaine Whitehead is the guy who will see the big uptick moving forward.

On Sunday, the Packers were in dime almost 100% of the time. Williams, Alexander, and Clinton-Dix played 100% of the snaps, King played 97%, Whitehead played 96%, and Brice played 85%. That was a season high for Whitehead by a long shot. The staff has been talking him up since camp, and he's come through for them in the early going. I remember Pettine making the comment before the season that Whitehead is the most cerebral player in the secondary, which is something that Pettine's defense has always placed a premium on.

With Josh Jackson on the bench (as well as Bashaud Breeland, Josh Jones, and Tony Brown), my guess is that FO and staff see a DB surplus. I bet that we will see Whitehead take over as the starting safety and Jackson come off the bench to play in the dime. So instead of a dime package consisting of 3 corners and 3 safeties, it would be 4 corners and 2 safeties.

I have no idea if this will work or not, but that's my speculation as to what's going on. After mulling it over, I believe Pettine is down on Clinton-Dix, high on Whitehead, and the FO decided to get something out of the former while they could.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've seen a lot of speculation that the Packers are going to move Williams to safety, but I have a different theory. While I'm sure Tramon will play a safety role on some snaps, as he did a bit on Sunday and as Jackson has at times, I think Jermaine Whitehead is the guy who will see the big uptick moving forward.

On Sunday, the Packers were in dime almost 100% of the time. Williams, Alexander, and Clinton-Dix played 100% of the snaps, King played 97%, Whitehead played 96%, and Brice played 85%. That was a season high for Whitehead by a long shot. The staff has been talking him up since camp, and he's come through for them in the early going. I remember Pettine making the comment before the season that Whitehead is the most cerebral player in the secondary, which is something that Pettine's defense has always placed a premium on.

With Josh Jackson on the bench (as well as Bashaud Breeland, Josh Jones, and Tony Brown), my guess is that FO and staff see a DB surplus. I bet that we will see Whitehead take over as the starting safety and Jackson come off the bench to play in the dime. So instead of a dime package consisting of 3 corners and 3 safeties, it would be 4 corners and 2 safeties.

I have no idea if this will work or not, but that's my speculation as to what's going on. After mulling it over, I believe Pettine is down on Clinton-Dix, high on Whitehead, and the FO decided to get something out of the former while they could.

It's possible Whithead will replace Clinton-Dix moving forward but I'm afraid most fans won't be excited about his play if they criticzed HHCD for his performance.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No matter who the Packers decide to replace HHCD with, the position was already pretty thin in talent and now its even thinner in talent, experience and depth. Not to be an alarmist, but this reminds me of the season we got super thin at RB. However, unlike that year, when we just relied more on the pass game, the position of S isn't one you can just say "ok, we will tell the other team to switch mainly to run plays, since we are decimated at the S position."

I'm looking for a street FA to be brought in ASAP, but I doubt he is going to be much of a difference. Would have been nice to see Gute pull the trigger on trading for another S, even a player like Joseph, we don't even have a S on the Practice squad.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's possible Whithead will replace Clinton-Dix moving forward but I'm afraid most fans won't be excited about his play if they criticzed HHCD for his performance.

If Pettine continues to use him as he has thus far, in the box and as a blitzer, I can see him becoming something of a fan favorite. Brice will surely continue to be the whipping boy.

I think that the main reason fans have loathed HHCD is that his missed tackles are really visible and egregious, while his best play is invisible on the broadcast.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No matter who the Packers decide to replace HHCD with, the position was already pretty thin in talent and now its even thinner in talent, experience and depth. Not to be an alarmist, but this reminds me of the season we got super thin at RB. However, unlike that year, when we just relied more on the pass game, the position of S isn't one you can just say "ok, we will tell the other team to switch mainly to run plays, since we are decimated at the S position."

I'm looking for a street FA to be brought in at soon, but I doubt he is going to be much of a difference. Would have been nice to see Gute pull the trigger on even a player like Joseph yesterday, we don't even have a S on the Practice squad.

To be fair, they don't have a S on the practice squad because the one who would have been a candidate, Raven Greene, they liked enough to keep on the 53 man roster.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
What I mean is that the likelihood a free agent contributes is the same as a lowly seventh round pick. While some 6th and 7th round picks do occasionally turn out to be stars so do some free agents. The value is basically the same.
Trading Ty freed up a roster spot. You could sign a free agent and still have the 7th rounder. It isn't a one or the other proposition. And then if the 7th rounder doesn't pan out, you can always cut him.

Additionally, it can be used as a trade stuffer in another deal.