Clay Mathews is done.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, because if last night taught us anything it's that we need to make definitive statements as early as possible without giving the season time to develop.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been on this forum screaming these same sentiments for some time now, and definitely have caught some flack for it. I almost feel vindicated when I read the posts in this thread and others recently made. The sad part is had the shouts been louder alot sooner maybe things would be different as presently constructed.

Think about this-if we keep relatively everything the same since the end of the 2016 season until right before training camp this season we could have a) not resigned Nick Perry to the dumb fat 12M a year deal he has now to make one decent play a a game and waddle around/whiff all over the field, b) traded Matthews for prolly a high-to-mid 5th rounder, c) drafted TJ Watt and Carl Lawson instead of Kevin King/Josh Jones and Vince Biegel, d) made sure to grab Mack before giving Aaron his $$$.

We'd have the same team minus either King and/or Jones but with Mack/Watt/Lawson/Gilbert as our OLB group. This is why I've been so irate about Clay and Nick. The GB front office has deliberately ignored the position to favor those two and las night everyone saw how wrong that is. They both suck. It's clear even to a casual fan now. They saw how good a real EDGE rusher is (Mack) compared to two bad ones (Clay & Nick) and finally saw what I've seen for years.

The money thing was always bs. If we would have cut the cord on Clay and Nick after 2016 we could have a top flight EDGE rushing unit that scared the **** outta the league by now. Mack would have been the icing on the cake coming into this season with Aaron coming back from injury.

Instead, everyone saw how destructive Mack can be in ONE HALF. We gotta deal with him for the next 5+ years at least twice a season. And they saw how pitiful in comparison our EDGE rushers minus Gilbert are.

Regardless of the outcome of the 2018 season, I hope at the very least we dont resign Matthews and at least try to trade Perry's contract away for a bag of chips in the offseason and draft 3 OLBs high in the draft. Pettine played with 2 ILBs on only a handful of snaps last night so Clay moving back inside is not an option. He's done, but we still have to hope he can give us something cuz he and Nick are all we have for now...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the ******** hindsight analysis.

I mean all you have to do is watch the game, bro. I wouldn’t call it BS if it’s true. He literally gave up 5 or 6 big runs to his side. He didn’t do really anything as a pass rusher either. The roughing penalty was stupid as he had about two steps to veer off yet he continued to follow through smh. OLB, OL, and safety are definitely NEEDS. I’m positive at least two of those positions are addressed early in the draft next season. There is NO reason to extend him after this season.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay has become the equivalent of a human Roomba. Take the regulator off and just set him on the field and let him go.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the ******** hindsight analysis.

Dude go eat a bag of baby ***** tryna downplay me. Clay is crap. It's clear as day without hgh/steroids he is an average to below average player. Nick is trash. And you're tryna hate on me/other posters instead of walking up and smelling the coffee. That type of mentality is why Aaron only has 1 SB because we can't put a real defense around him, and that's why GB has had 99th percentile QB play for nearly a quarter century and only 2 NFL chips to show for it. That is not good enough, just like your sorry excuse of a response to this thread.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean all you have to do is watch the game, bro. I wouldn’t call it BS if it’s true. He literally gave up 5 or 6 big runs to his side. He didn’t do really anything as a pass rusher either. The roughing penalty was stupid as he had about two steps to veer off yet he continued to follow through smh. OLB, OL, and safety are definitely NEEDS. I’m positive at least two of those positions are addressed early in the draft next season. There is NO reason to extend him after this season.

Thank you!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from all the Clay comments (and I agree with most), the entire LB group is just average. The DL is strong and I have high hopes for the secondary, they recovered well after a bad Q1. This is something we’ll have to live with. The D is better than last year, but with no straight on rushing ability. Pettine will have to be creative. The past is done but I sure wish we would have won the Mack sweepstakes. Onward!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from all the Clay comments (and I agree with most), the entire LB group is just average. The DL is strong and I have high hopes for the secondary, they recovered well after a bad Q1. This is something we’ll have to live with. The D is better than last year, but with no straight on rushing ability. Pettine will have to be creative. The past is done but I sure wish we would have won the Mack sweepstakes. Onward!

Packers could easily have gotten Mack. They just refused to give up those first round picks tho. You could have extended him by not bringing back Matthews or HAHA next season which i would’ve been fine with.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude go eat a bag of baby ***** tryna downplay me. Clay is crap. It's clear as day without hgh/steroids he is an average to below average player. Nick is trash. And you're tryna hate on me/other posters instead of walking up and smelling the coffee. That type of mentality is why Aaron only has 1 SB because we can't put a real defense around him, and that's why GB has had 99th percentile QB play for nearly a quarter century and only 2 NFL chips to show for it. That is not good enough, just like your sorry excuse of a response to this thread.

Somebody sure is defensive and insecure. I bet if you were GM, Arod would have 8 Super Bowl titles, because you are obviously brilliant.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody sure is defensive and insecure. I bet if you were GM, Arod would have 8 Super Bowl titles, because you are obviously brilliant.

I'm defensive and insecure? Wow-someone thinks they're a psychologist because they don't like how their superhero Clay is finally being called out by fans. If I were GM I'd for damn sure have gotten rid of the two sorry excuses for EDGE rushers GB starts awhile ago and would have something similar to what Pittsburgh has with Watt/Dupree. Sounds to me like the only one that sounds insecure is you. Maybe it's in your name-you're okay with ineptitude as long as it isn't highlighted lol...

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The writing has been on the wall for a while about Clay. The problem now is is a below average player who makes stupid plays. Simply put I trust Gilbert out there more than him. I trust Perry more too because at least he is assignment sure

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

You misunderstand. I know Clay had a bad game and people pointing that out are fine by me. Furthermore, I don't want them to extend him unless it's cheap and for a backup role.

What is ridiculous is people looking back three years and saying "I WOULD HAVE DONE X, Y, AND Z" now that we have the benefit of knowing how draft picks worked out and what's gone on with our own players.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Stellar analysis, as always Mr. Pizzle. I'm glad that someone has finally identified the true reason why the Packers haven't won more Super Bowls: not enough fans throw tantrums on fan forums. :tup:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The writing has been on the wall for a while about Clay. The problem now is is a below average player who makes stupid plays. Simply put I trust Gilbert out there more than him. I trust Perry more too because at least he is assignment sure

It was definitely his worst game as a Packer, we'll have to see if he can bounce back now at 32.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was definitely his worst game as a Packer, we'll have to see if he can bounce back now at 32.

I feel like he has disappeared in games before but yesterday he disappeared and only reappeared to do something foolish

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we didn’t lose out on Mack because we didn’t want to part with two picks towards the bottom of the first round. That would be idiotic. Him not fitting in our cap? Or our locker room? Or not wanting to come to Green Bay? .... those I can accept. But clinging to 2 late first round picks a year from now ? (Unless Rodgers gets hurt then we move WAY up)..... that would be stupid

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we didn’t lose out on Mack because we didn’t want to part with two picks towards the bottom of the first round. That would be idiotic. Him not fitting in our cap? Or our locker room? Or not wanting to come to Green Bay? .... those I can accept. But clinging to 2 late first round picks a year from now ? (Unless Rodgers gets hurt then we move WAY up)..... that would be stupid

If you read the majority of the reports/read between the lines that's what it was. Gruden's price for Mack was high and GB got outbid because they were trying to keep one of their 2019 1st round draft picks. Chicago won the bid IMHO mainly because Gruden assumed they'd be the cellar dwellers of the NFC North Division so their 1st round pick would be much higher. Once they added in the 2020 1st round pick to the negotiations Green Bay was out of the picture. I don't even think we were in the Top 3 ever tbh. It was prolly the Jets, Browns, and Bears, with the Bears offering the best package out out of the group.

And yes, I find this perceived notion to be an indictment of Gute and the GB front office. They should have been willing to give up both 2019 1st rounders and the 1st in 2o20 to get Mack. We'd be clear Super Bowl favorites in the NFC and not worried about AR12's health this season after the 1st game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

If you read the majority of the reports/read between the lines that's what it was. Gruden's price for Mack was high and GB got outbid because they were trying to keep one of their 2019 1st round draft picks. Chicago won the bid IMHO mainly because Gruden assumed they'd be the cellar dwellers of the NFC North Division so their 1st round pick would be much higher. Once they added in the 2020 1st round pick to the negotiations Green Bay was out of the picture. I don't even think we were in the Top 3 ever tbh. It was prolly the Jets, Browns, and Bears, with the Bears offering the best package out out of the group.

And yes, I find this perceived notion to be an indictment of Gute and the GB front office. They should have been willing to give up both 2019 1st rounders and the 1st in 2o20 to get Mack. We'd be clear Super Bowl favorites in the NFC and not worried about AR12's health this season after the 1st game.

How do people not see that even if Gute WAS offering up the Packers first round picks, the Bears offered 2 more valuable picks? Come on guys, do the math. If people are going to keep saying we could have had Mack for our 2 first rounders but Gute was too cheap, are you saying that to make yourselves feel supreme or are you saying it as fact?

As far as Clay Matthews. How many here were complaining on April 17, 2013 when Clay's contract was extended??? Anyone...Anyone....Buehler?

Yup, in hindsite, he has deteriorated, hard to argue that he hasn't, but that is the nature of Football and it can go either direction. Rodgers last extension (prior to the most recent) turned out to be a bargain, but I am sure if Rodgers play dropped off and he didn't live up to it, there would be guys posting today that resigning him was the dumbest thing TT ever did. Live within the present, stop looking in the rear view mirror to try to look smart. You don't get do overs, but you can learn by them and move forward.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do people not see that even if Gute WAS offering up the Packers first round picks, the Bears offered 2 more valuable picks? Come on guys, do the math. If people are going to keep saying we could have had Mack for our 2 first rounders but Gute was too cheap, are you saying that to make yourselves feel supreme or are you saying it as fact?

As far as Clay Matthews. How many here were complaining on April 17, 2013 when Clay's contract was extended??? Anyone...Anyone....Buehler?

Yup, in hindsite, he has deteriorated, hard to argue that he hasn't, but that is the nature of Football and it can go either direction. Rodgers last extension (prior to the most recent) turned out to be a bargain, but I am sure if Rodgers play dropped off and he didn't live up to it, there would be guys posting today that resigning him was the dumbest thing TT ever did. Live within the present, stop looking in the rear view mirror to try to look smart. You don't get do overs, but you can learn by them and move forward.

1) If GB had offered the two '19s and their '20 1st we'd have won the Mack sweepstakes. Period. If you look at what the deal ended up being, 3 #1s from us is about what it would have taken if you keep it simple. The Bears' picks wouldn't be more valuable in that scenario to Gruden (even if some analytics jargon would have claimed that some combo of six picks from Chicago would have been just as/more valuable). Our big three would have gotten it done if we would've been willing to give them straight up and not asked for anything back but Khalil. And IMHO it would have been more than worth it.

2) I've already broken down Clay's game extensively over the years on here so I'm not gonna do that again. I will just say this. I feel that 2014 was Clay's last really good season. That was Peppers' 1st season with the Pack. I think that after the 2016 season we should have rebuilt the OLB position (especially considering we let Julius walk) but we didn't. And Clay is not getting any younger or better as a player. That's just the reality. Whining about me or another poster saying we should have let Clay go years ago/could have done something else is ridiculous considering this is what this forum is about-letting your opinions about the Packers be known-good, bad, or ugly.

Latest posts