Clay Mathews is done.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
The guy just don’t have it anymore . Misses tackle after tackle, caught multiple times frozen in his tracks, thrown around like a bean bag the whole game.

We need a legitimate pass rushing threat and he’s not it.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looks like it’s week 16 and it’s only week 1. Dude needs to step it up for sure

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
If we had lost this game due to his boneheaded play there would be riots calling for his head. I am surprised he wasnt ejected for his head hit to Trubusky.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried to single him out and watch just him on alot of plays and he was just wildly running past the play every single time. He is done. He has no strength left so he has to take ridiculously wide angles to try and out run the blocker. If he doesn't run himself out of the play he runs right through the play. That penalty was as selfish as it gets. He knew he was crap all night and wanted to make up for it and had no self control to not make the late hit.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's getting older for his position, and he didn't look good tonight, even before the stupid penalty. But I'm not going to call for his head yet, he led the team in sacks last year and I don't know that we have any better options at the moment.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t disagree with what’s been said. The only team he helped was the Bears. Perry saved his bacon.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was the only play he made all night. He better own up for it

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might lead the team in sacks but he gives up 15 big plays to get 1sack. I would take more stops on d instead of a sack every other game .

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
clay made a nice play in the first quarter but the rest of the game he just tanked out and couldn't even remain standing trying to get past the o line. and yes i am a big clay fan and have his jersey. I will be the first to say he is past his prime now, and the bonehead roughing the passer was mind-boggling for his demeanor and smarts.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was the last time anyone saw him actually blow someone up, like he used to do when he was juicing? How many times last year did he even power past a guy? He's just not a playmaker anymore. I appreciate everything he's done, but... he's done. At his age, he's not likely to get it back.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Move him back inside. Less of a liability there given that outside he breaks contain regularly and gets turned around now. Watching him tonight, I counted 4 plays he gave up on the play, then on 2 of them it swung back his direction and he was out of the play.
Old clay always motored and found the play.
This clay watched.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Move him back inside. Less of a liability there given that outside he breaks contain regularly and gets turned around now. Watching him tonight, I counted 4 plays he gave up on the play, then on 2 of them it swung back his direction and he was out of the play.
Old clay always motored and found the play.
This clay watched.

I think he belongs on the bench playing with his hair. The guy sucks do bad. I would take my chances with anyone from a practice squad for way less than this loser makes

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Week 1 is in the books so I would expect someone to sign him now that contracts are not guaranteed.

I am hoping that team starts with the letter G and ends with reen Bay Packers.

Not sure what was up with Clay tonight, but I was expecting more from him. I don't see Simon replacing him, but I see Simon as a starter if Matthews or Perry go down and a decent rotational guy. Gilbert did a heck of a job on coverage, but still don't see him or Clay as the guys I want in there to stop the kind of offense we saw out of Chicago in the first half. The Vikings are going to see that tape and feast off of it. I have to wonder if Clay still has the fire and if Pettine can relight it if he doesn't.

H

HardRightEdge

That was probably the worst game Matthews has ever played as a Packer, worse than when he wore a club, worst than when he was hobbled by hamstring injurues, worse than the days of "Clay's Groin", worse than when he played ILB.

And that was before the roughing call.

Even when not bringing pressure you could count on him holding or pursing to the edge, making a play from the backside, chasing down a running QB, something.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He quit against Seattle in a game to go to the Super Bowl. No use for him since. He’s been a dirty player for years, tonight he almost cost us (another) win... way past time to move on...

Members online

Latest posts