Clay Mathews is done.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since that first game, he has been playing about where we need him to be. I wouldn't quite call him a beast, that's reserved for KC, he's a beast and I think Alexander has been playing really very well. Even if he never gets any better he was a very good pick, but I suspect is not at his peak and just learning the game. Back to Clay, besides some goofy penalties, he's been playing nicely and would have what 3 sacks? 4? thru 4 games? a couple other pressures. I'd like to see more consistent pressures to give him "beast" designation, but he is getting home at a decent pace this season so far. Though most have been wiped out by new rules.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I hate Mathews. Where the heck has Perry been, that guy can't stay healthy or really make much of an impact. He scammed the Packers with his last contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As much as I hate Mathews. Where the heck has Perry been, that guy can't stay healthy or really make much of an impact. He scammed the Packers with his last contract.
Sometimes I think the Packers "scammed themselves" with Perry's contract. Hindsight is always 20/20, but the Packers made the proverbial mistake of paying a guy big money based off of one season of work and overlooked everything that happened prior. Well he has returned to his prior form, a rich man. The Packers also left themselves with few options to replace Perry, I don't remember anyone besides Peppers being worth much to replace him with if they had let him walk.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were caught between a rock and hard place with that. Perry was one of the better pass rushers that year and coming off a pretty decent year in which he mostly healthy. compared to what others signed for he was going to have to earn it to get all of it, so in that regard it was a 'decent" contract all things considered. I think Jamie Collins got something like 30 million guaranteed or something and Perry, though a "big contract" only got 18 Million guaranteed. so we have a better out if he doesn't perform.

There weren't really a lot of options that year and we had nobody in the pipeline so to speak.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why has the title of this thread not been changed? Clearly, Matthews is not done. He has played like a beast this season. Open your eyes.

Matthews has definitely not performed like a beast. He has a total of four pressures this season. I understand that two more were wiped out by ridiculous calls but even then that's not good enough for an edge rusher making $10+ million.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Latest posts