Chillar gets 4 year, $21M contract extention.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Insiders Blog | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

Mike McCarthy On Chillar's extension: Think it's great for Brandon and the Packers. "It's definitely well-deserved." Good player, high-character individual. Flexibility, versatility are key. Been playing outstanding on special teams. "You cannot have enough good players. I think that's shown every single year." Trying to do best they can to keep as many good football players as possible.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My faith in TT is continually dropping. Chillar is not a bad player but he has never served a better purpose than a backup. 5-6 mil a yr is absolutely too much and i think either collins or pickett deserved this kind of deal rather than chillar.

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My faith in TT is continually dropping. Chillar is not a bad player but he has never served a better purpose than a backup. 7 mil a yr is absolutely too much and i think either collins or pickett deserved this kind of deal rather than chillar.

I think we should get a deal done with Collins first. Here's more details I got from ESPN...

When he was a free agent, linebacker Brandon Chillar had to be talked into going to Green Bay. Now he doesn't want to leave.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Chillar

With his contract set to expire after this season, Chillar signed a four-year, $21 million contract extension with the Packers that includes $7 million in guaranteed money.
Chillar's deal is rare in that, these days, teams have proceeded cautiously in terms of signing players to long-term contracts with the league's uncertain financial future ahead.
Chillar has started four games this season and has been a dependable contributor on Green Bay's special teams.

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So only 7 million is gauranteed, I still feel like we paid too much though.

I've been reading comments on ESPN, and I think I might change my mind now, lol. It's only 7 million gauranteed so for him to earn 21 million he will have to play like a pro bowler, why not encourage him to do so? I also read that Chillar may be a replacement for Kampman (Though I prefer Jones).

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that his garaunteed money isn't all that here are two things that bother me:
1. Chillar was very injury prone back when he was with the Rams and that's why they cut him. I would like to see how he stands playing a full season for the Pack. I just hope he doesn't end up like justin harrell sitting on the sidelines while collecting his paycheck.
2. That Rams game where he got burned for 2 TD's still bothers me. Although he is better than kampman in coverage, how much better are we exactly talking about?

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been reading comments on ESPN, and I think I might change my mind now, lol. It's only 7 million gauranteed so for him to earn 21 million he will have to play like a pro bowler, why not encourage him to do so? I also read that Chillar may be a replacement for Kampman (Though I prefer Jones).

He gets 7 million but he will have to work hard earn all of that 21 million, sounds fair to me

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a better fit in last year's defense. Like Kampman, he doesn't have the great quickness to drop back in coverage. But I still like the guy. He's an overachiever like Kampman and has a nose for the football. He might come around to finding his niche in this scheme yet.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He gets 7 million but he will have to work hard earn all of that 21 million, sounds fair to me

You guys look at guaranteed money a little differently than I do. Is it more reasonable to assume he will make closer to 7 million over 4 years or closer to 21 million over four years?

It appears some of you guys think the guaranteed portion of a contract is, essentially, all the player will really end up making which is not the case.

Having said that, I don't think it was wrong to offer him an extension. Quality guys ARE hard to find.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt we are going to resign any guys after this. We just spent a third of the salary cap and it's hard to imagine how much more we can spare after dishing out this much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts