1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chillar gets 4 year, $21M contract extention.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by CM_Awesome, Dec 14, 2009.

1. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Insiders Blog | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

Mike McCarthy On Chillar's extension: Think it's great for Brandon and the Packers. "It's definitely well-deserved." Good player, high-character individual. Flexibility, versatility are key. Been playing outstanding on special teams. "You cannot have enough good players. I think that's shown every single year." Trying to do best they can to keep as many good football players as possible.

2. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    My faith in TT is continually dropping. Chillar is not a bad player but he has never served a better purpose than a backup. 5-6 mil a yr is absolutely too much and i think either collins or pickett deserved this kind of deal rather than chillar.

3. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I think we should get a deal done with Collins first. Here's more details I got from ESPN...

When he was a free agent, linebacker Brandon Chillar had to be talked into going to Green Bay. Now he doesn't want to leave.

[​IMG] Chillar

With his contract set to expire after this season, Chillar signed a four-year, $21 million contract extension with the Packers that includes $7 million in guaranteed money.
    Chillar's deal is rare in that, these days, teams have proceeded cautiously in terms of signing players to long-term contracts with the league's uncertain financial future ahead.
    Chillar has started four games this season and has been a dependable contributor on Green Bay's special teams.

4. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    So only 7 million is gauranteed, I still feel like we paid too much though.

5. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I've been reading comments on ESPN, and I think I might change my mind now, lol. It's only 7 million gauranteed so for him to earn 21 million he will have to play like a pro bowler, why not encourage him to do so? I also read that Chillar may be a replacement for Kampman (Though I prefer Jones).

6. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I agree that his garaunteed money isn't all that here are two things that bother me:
    1. Chillar was very injury prone back when he was with the Rams and that's why they cut him. I would like to see how he stands playing a full season for the Pack. I just hope he doesn't end up like justin harrell sitting on the sidelines while collecting his paycheck.
    2. That Rams game where he got burned for 2 TD's still bothers me. Although he is better than kampman in coverage, how much better are we exactly talking about?

7. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    He gets 7 million but he will have to work hard earn all of that 21 million, sounds fair to me

8. Ted's Zombie Army

Ted's Zombie Army Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    He was a better fit in last year's defense. Like Kampman, he doesn't have the great quickness to drop back in coverage. But I still like the guy. He's an overachiever like Kampman and has a nose for the football. He might come around to finding his niche in this scheme yet.

9. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    You guys look at guaranteed money a little differently than I do. Is it more reasonable to assume he will make closer to 7 million over 4 years or closer to 21 million over four years?

It appears some of you guys think the guaranteed portion of a contract is, essentially, all the player will really end up making which is not the case.

Having said that, I don't think it was wrong to offer him an extension. Quality guys ARE hard to find.

10. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I doubt we are going to resign any guys after this. We just spent a third of the salary cap and it's hard to imagine how much more we can spare after dishing out this much.