Chad Clifton

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems that our left tackle and the protector of Bretts backside is nursing a knee injury.
Anyone got any idea of the seriousness.
Without Clifton, things could get really ugly for our already inexperienced offensive line.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Seems that our left tackle and the protector of Bretts backside is nursing a knee injury.
Anyone got any idea of the seriousness.
Without Clifton, things could get really ugly for our already inexperienced offensive line.

McCarthy called the injury "day to day" and Jags said not to worry because Clifton "will be there".

It doesn't come at a good time with the lack of depth on the O-Line but it's not like he's supposed to miss any significant time.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
guys, there will be some bumps and bruises at this stage. The pads ARE on, and guys are gonna get physical with eachother. You just hope 'day to day' injuries are as far as things get!

Besides, we have Klemm as a backup Tackle!

(in all seriousness, klemm is a natural tackle, not guard, he was used as guard cuz sherm\tt were smoking crack last year)

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
guys, there will be some bumps and bruises at this stage. The pads ARE on, and guys are gonna get physical with eachother. You just hope 'day to day' injuries are as far as things get!

Besides, we have Klemm as a backup Tackle!

(in all seriousness, klemm is a natural tackle, not guard, he was used as guard cuz sherm\tt were smoking crack last year)

Tromadz, Klemm was carted off the field a few days ago, never to return. This is a big concern.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OH NO! NO KLEMM!?!?! WE ARE DOOMED! Jk. I forgot Klemm was done for the year. Whitticker CAN play LT. And dont count a guy like Whitty out. He came in as a rookie and played ok. He didnt play well, but he was like a 7th rounder, and was thrown into the fire, but held his own for the most part. Add a year of offseason training,experience,etc, and he could be a solid EMERGENCY starter.

We also have Coston and Tony Moll.

Oh, and dont forget, this is a 'day to day' injury, so chillax.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, and Josh Bourke is playing LT now and impressing people. So yeah, add that to the fact that the injury is 'day to day' and your "this is a big concern" declaration seems a big too much.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am chilled Tro, but if Clifton went down, the whole line would have to be shuffled with Colledge going out to LT.

If Clifton or Tauscher go down, were ******! I'm glad you have some faith in Whittaker, because I don't think he will even make the practice squad.

Do you knit those sweaters for your puppy?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that Clifton is going to be ok, he's just nursing it back into shape. this injury simply creates another opportunity for someone to stand up, get some experience and earn a back up spot.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying to look on this situation w/optimism. I'm not too sure it's working. We haven't had to worry about our O tackles for some time now. But it's troublesome. We need all the breaks we can get this year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its day-to-day! Its not even week-to-week (which still wouldnt be the end of the world)

I dont think Colledge would play LT if clifton was out for the year(in theory, he is day to day, have i mentioned that?).

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
its day-to-day! Its not even week-to-week (which still wouldnt be the end of the world)

I dont think Colledge would play LT if clifton was out for the year(in theory, he is day to day, have i mentioned that?).
Yeah Tro, all I am talking about is depth. If Clifton or Tauscher were to possibley go down, what is behind them? For that matter, what is behind any OL position? We cannot afford injuries this year along the OLine.

Tro you go ahead and sleep well at night if your comfortable, but I'll be concerned.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLine backups

-Josh Bourke - Making noise, impressing coaches (Undrafted FA) at LT while Chad rests, who will return in a couple days, since the injury is day-to-day, did you know that?

-Whitticker - Um, the guy who started at RG last year and actually did ok (LG was the position of death). Did he struggle at times? hell yeah, but he did ok for a 7th rounder. Another year, better shape, etc.

-Junius Coston - Yeah, coaches really like him(a lot, especially Jags, who wanted his team(falcons) to draft him when Coston went)

-Jason Spitz - Coaches really like him too
*Either Spitz or coston will start at RG, whoever doesnt, is a backup(duh)

-Chris White - a lot of people think HE should be the center, which is a good thing to say, considering Wells has it. If the ***** matter hits the fan, move White to center(which I, and a lot of others here,moreso than me, think he can do that job)

-Pete Traynor - NFL Europe stud (yeah i know, theres a difference, but still)

-Siitupe Peko - Yeah...depth is good. lol.

-Tony Moll - our draft pick. Don't know what to expect from him honestly.

I will sleep well thinking about our Oline.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
OLine backups

-Josh Bourke - Making noise, impressing coaches (Undrafted FA) at LT while Chad rests, who will return in a couple days, since the injury is day-to-day, did you know that?

-Whitticker - Um, the guy who started at RG last year and actually did ok (LG was the position of death). Did he struggle at times? hell yeah, but he did ok for a 7th rounder. Another year, better shape, etc.

-Junius Coston - Yeah, coaches really like him(a lot, especially Jags, who wanted his team(falcons) to draft him when Coston went)

-Jason Spitz - Coaches really like him too
*Either Spitz or coston will start at RG, whoever doesnt, is a backup(duh)

-Chris White - a lot of people think HE should be the center, which is a good thing to say, considering Wells has it. If the ***** matter hits the fan, move White to center(which I, and a lot of others here,moreso than me, think he can do that job)

-Pete Traynor - NFL Europe stud (yeah i know, theres a difference, but still)

-Siitupe Peko - Yeah...depth is good. lol.

-Tony Moll - our draft pick. Don't know what to expect from him honestly.

I will sleep well thinking about our Oline.

OK Tro, I'll worry for both of us.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Clifton hasn't taken part in any OTAs, minicamps or training camp practices this year after having arthroscopic surgery in the offseason. I would feel a lot better having a healthy Klemm, especially with what's left behind him. According to this blurb in a JSOnline article today, the change of position doesn't seem to have improved Whitticker's performance much since last year.

Clifton had arthroscopic surgery on the knee during the off-season and has been bothered by discomfort since camp began. The Packers are desperate at the left tackle position with backup Will Whitticker struggling to fill in for Clifton and can't afford to lose him this season.

Regardless of whether or not Clifton can play, I really don't think it's going to make too much difference in the offensive production who ends up playing at LT this season. It's not like it's the only weak position on this team.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unbelievable. If Clifton went down for good we would be SOL. Not worrying about Clifton going down is right up there saying that the loss of Wahle and Rivera would be no big deal. It was and would be crucial to the success of our OL.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, its not.

losing a guard(especially LG) is worse than losing a tackle. That just science.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
no, its not.

losing a guard(especially LG) is worse than losing a tackle. That just science.

If this is true, why is left tackle easily the highest-paid position on the offensive line? What do you know that 32 GM's don't know?

I'm not sure if you remember how awful Mike Wahle was at left tackle, yet he turned out to be an excellent guard. I think you are taking Clifton for granted.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
DAY to freakin DAY people calm the freak down

Thats what im sayin...

and im not taking clifton for granted, i love the chad. I want him in there more than anyone. Some feel he has lost a step since the sapp thing, but I think hes still one very solid player.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha the chad.... and i wish people would stop bringing up that lard *** coward named warren sapp. thats the single coolest thing sherman ever did.... id hate to see fat *** sapp do that when mccarthy was watching... i think there might be a fight.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we can all agree that we like Clifton. He had a down year last year, and I expect him to be highly motivated to bounce back this year.

There's certainly no reason to panic, but when a player has missed all of the OTA's and all of training camp so far, obviously the "day to day" term is a little misleading.

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't look too much into it, I think the staff will be very cautious with Cliffy, and even if he was ready to go, they would hold him out a couple of extra days just to make sure. The last thing we need is for our solid Ts to be injured because the had minor injuries nagging up...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the worse news by far right now since camp started. Clifton is in a new scheme so he better be studying hard and watching a lot of film. He needs to get back soon but can't be rushed. If he does get hurt then Whitticker is our starter at LT and that's something that would devistate the team.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest thing is for our starting LT, whoever that may be, to have enough practice time to get his timing down with the rest of the OL. Of course, with old "False Start Clifton" timing has never been his strong point.

Members online

Latest posts