CBS Sports calls out Packers lies regarding Jordan Love

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that and agree with CaptainWIMM on this one. Other teams just don’t get as hyped for CFL, Or UFA receivers. IMO this mentality has everything to do with our starvation at the position. It’s simply not in the Packers M.O. to draft receiver or ILB in the first. I do like the Funchess signing. The Packers drafted players to help emphasize the run game and Funchess is a big body that can block. He doesn’t have the best hands but has the ability to be a red zone threat. I don’t view Begelton as anything but a camp body but in fairness I thought the same about Lazard.

Bingo! We agree more than we disagree I suspect, just sometimes each of our frustrations on disagreements with how each of us would have done things vs what the organization actually did manafests at times and clouds thoughts.

I think the Lazard comp to Begelton retrospectively to the beginning of last season is 100% spot on. The Lazard we know we have (or know to the extent we do...lot left to see) now is leaps and bounds above Begelton as far as expectations for sure. The unknown, untested yet intriguing receiver type that he is I 100% get that comp to Lazard last year before the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4. not drafting a player in the top #100 overall at WR, LB, DT or OT. Which I think many of us can agree were what? 4 of our top position needs (give or take). Puts us at a slight disadvantage at all 4 groups going forward.

THIS^^^^^ That is the most shocking thing to me as well. This draft befuddled my mind as we went through it. Sure I can discuss positively the guys picked, but I still for the life of me am genuinely shocked not a single one of those four positions were called by the end of Day 2 for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree that a non-professional college athletic program is superior to the CFL. I would say some of the bigger programs for sure are equal if not argued superior, but spare me the trivial thought that a WR from any college is more prepared.

It's likely that a player at age 27 coming out of the CFL is better prepared mentally to play in the NFL than a prospect coming out of college but more importantly he hasn't faced even close to the competition some rookies have over the past few years.

I do have slight reservations at LB and moreso at DT, but I don’t believe either are as dire as they were week 2 in 2019 (after losing Oren and Raven). We have both players back plus added a thumper in Kamal Martin and a much more versatile player in Kirksey (he puts Martinez to shame in pass coverage but with very very little lost as a tackling machine if anything).

I don't believe the Packers added enough talent at inside linebacker to feel comfortable about the position entering this season.

This draft befuddled my mind as we went through it. Sure I can discuss positively the guys picked, but I still for the life of me am genuinely shocked not a single one of those four positions were called by the end of Day 2 for us.

Hmmm, you took a completely different stance defending the selections of Love, Dillon and Deguara in several discussion over the past few weeks.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldnt argue the competition is superior, especially against likes of SEC or top end ACC or even Big Ten.

I will argue mightedly though it is a different animal in a professional structured environment, and mental approach changes.

In the end I don't care really what one thinks CFL prospect is worth. I'll never see them anymore than a Day3/UDFA acquisition. Gems exist, albeit rare.
Big 5 conference football is professional football in all respects except for the players not getting paid. It's the NFL's version of MLB's AAA. The college player activists in demanding pay will tell you it's up to a 60 hour football work week. The coaches are highly paid, the facilities in size and quality exceed those in the CFL, the money that flows in, around and through big time college football far exceeds anything in the CFL.

Guys coming out of the CFL even making a roster are rare. Gems are not rare--they are extremely rare. It just boils down to whether there is that extremely rare late bloomer who reaches maturity playing the Canadian game who is held back more by the quality of teammates more than advantaged by the quality of the opponents.

Here's a list that includes those gems and some not so gem-like.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/best-nfl-players-that-played-in-the-cfl/

The last player of any consequence to come out of the CFL was Brandon Browner a decade ago. Cam Wake was a couple years before that, Jeff Garcia a decade before those guys. I made a mistake earlier in mentioning Duvernay-Tardiff. He's Canadian, he played college ball at McGill in Montreal, but he never played in the CFL--drafted by the Chiefs and he's been there ever since.

Could Begelton turn into an NFL player? Anything is possible. The odds are extremely long.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, I'd consider Begelton a gem from the CFL if he just makes the roster and dresses on game days, contributing in small ways. I don't expect any CFL player to eventually become a starter, that's a rare unicorn LOL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, you took a completely different stance defending the selections of Love, Dillon and Deguara in several discussion over the past few weeks.

No.....you like many cannot separate discussions or the ability one can have to understand and or see the positives and reasoning for selections vs what one may have done themselves.

I have never once said I'd have done the Love pick myself. I have only stated how much I did and still do believe after Burrow he was my QB2 in the draft.

I LOVE the player Dillon is, but again not a position at that point in the draft I would have done.

Deguara, very similar to Dillon...except he was on my radar - but 4th round onward. There were other TE prospects I would have taken in the 3rd over him, but it is clear they wanted an H-back style guy where I was looking more pure pass receiver type.

H

HardRightEdge

Just for the record, I'd consider Begelton a gem from the CFL if he just makes the roster and dresses on game days, contributing in small ways. I don't expect any CFL player to eventually become a starter, that's a rare unicorn LOL
I would never have thought anybody would call a guy a "gem" who makes the game day roster for some special teams ability which in Begelton's case would have to be as a gunner.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never have thought anybody would call a guy a "gem" who makes the game day roster for some special teams ability which in Begelton's case would have to be as a gunner.

Given the nature of the CFL, if you find a gameday contributor whether that's special teams or a #4/#5 WR I'm 100% considering him a gem. Everything is relative.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not necessarily. there are a thousand ways it's not a waste. There are a thousand ways using a 1st rounder on a WR this year ends up a waste as likely as taking Love, if it ends up that way.

Some folks think all of these WRs are going to be difference makers on their teams. But until they actually play at this level nobody really knows. This is true for every player taken in this last draft. There are scores of "can't miss" high picks over the years that busted hard.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some folks think all of these WRs are going to be difference makers on their teams. But until they actually play at this level nobody really knows. This is true for every player taken in this last draft. There are scores of "can't miss" high picks over the years that busted hard.

I think this is completely missing the point. We needed someone to contribute in 2020. Didn’t have to be an A.J. Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Deebo, Slayton, Mclaurin, Renfrow, Hardman, Marquise, Diontae Johnson or any other countless rookie that played one NFL down. Just one catch to keep a drive alive or zero catches the whole season but runs a go route to keep a safety from double teaming Adams. Maybe an ILB or DT. Who might not even play but contributes on Special teams and recovers a muffed punt that helps win one game. These might be exaggerated examples but they are more plausible to impact a game than a player that might not see one Meaningful down for three or four years. The Packers, 49ers, and Saints were all 13-3 and the Seahawks were 11-5. We are just as good as any of those teams including the 49ers. They spanked us but are far from unbeatable. Five of their wins were by 5 points or less. We were one win away from home field. All of these teams got better except us. This Packers are one or two playmakers shy of a championship and the window is closing fast. This was the off-season to help the team get over the hump.

D

Deleted member 6794

No.....you like many cannot separate discussions or the ability one can have to understand and or see the positives and reasoning for selections vs what one may have done themselves.

I have never once said I'd have done the Love pick myself. I have only stated how much I did and still do believe after Burrow he was my QB2 in the draft.

I LOVE the player Dillon is, but again not a position at that point in the draft I would have done.

Deguara, very similar to Dillon...except he was on my radar - but 4th round onward. There were other TE prospects I would have taken in the 3rd over him, but it is clear they wanted an H-back style guy where I was looking more pure pass receiver type.

So what you're actually saying is that you don't like any of the Packers first three selections either.

BTW you had Love ranked ahead of Tagovailoa???

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you're actually saying is that you don't like any of the Packers first three selections either.

BTW you had Love ranked ahead of Tagovailoa???

I had Tua and him projected similar. Injuries like his worry the crap out of me.

I have no way of answering the three pick question without it being pulled out of context. I've said numerous times none of the three are the direction in the round I was wanting or would have done had I been GM. That said each of the three players were on my radar, and rated rather high at their perspective positions for me. Dillon and Love were some of my favorite prospects after the very tops of their positions prospects. Deguara I still had three clear guys at TE I liked more (Keene, Trautman, Albert O)...but none of my prospects at TE when we hit the clock would I have picked, I also didn't have any of them remaining rated for a Day 2 selection personally.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have no way of answering the three pick question without it being pulled out of context. I've said numerous times none of the three are the direction in the round I was wanting or would have done had I been GM. That said each of the three players were on my radar, and rated rather high at their perspective positions for me. Dillon and Love were some of my favorite prospects after the very tops of their positions prospects. Deguara I still had three clear guys at TE I liked more (Keene, Trautman, Albert O)...but none of my prospects at TE when we hit the clock would I have picked, I also didn't have any of them remaining rated for a Day 2 selection personally.

Well, in that case let me rephrase my statement. Do you agree that there was no need for the Packers to trade up for a quarterback in the first round as well as that they "reached" for both Dillon and Deguara?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in that case let me rephrase my statement. Do you agree that there was no need for the Packers to trade up for a quarterback in the first round as well as that they "reached" for both Dillon and Deguara?

I've already said Dillon and Degaura, as much as I was a fan of them were picked a round early and IMO over other positions or players I had rated higher.

The Love pick/trade up in a discussion of need is a double headed sword. Present need, not a single person could sway me off of it being utterly unnecessary. Future need, absolutely get it. The logic behind Gute and Co recognizing they don't pick high enough to get what they clearly considered a top prospect QB enough to think a future starter is there.

Would I have done it, nope, Not at all, and I've said that quite a few times. I wanted Pittman at #30. When we traded up I thought it was to get Pittman as really once Aiyuk was gone I had no other WR I believed more in or similar to him left.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've already said Dillon and Degaura, as much as I was a fan of them were picked a round early and IMO over other positions or players I had rated higher.

The Love pick/trade up in a discussion of need is a double headed sword. Present need, not a single person could sway me off of it being utterly unnecessary. Future need, absolutely get it. The logic behind Gute and Co recognizing they don't pick high enough to get what they clearly considered a top prospect QB enough to think a future starter is there.

Would I have done it, nope, Not at all, and I've said that quite a few times. I wanted Pittman at #30. When we traded up I thought it was to get Pittman as really once Aiyuk was gone I had no other WR I believed more in or similar to him left.

That sounds pretty reasonable but doesn't explain your relentless support of Dantés' and GleefulGary's perspective about the draft in various threads.

Members online

Latest posts