Carroll admits Thomas should start

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jun05/333646.asp

"I expect him to start. He should," Carroll said. "He's been playing great, know what I'm saying. He's been balling, bottom line.

"He's out there balling and making plays. So right now, I feel like he should be on first team. He's been here the whole off-season busting his ***. In training camp, I've just got to start over."

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great to hear...thanks for the update musccy! Carrol is still a very enticing prospect whom I expect to see/hear good things about in the coming years. But to hear about the effort Thomas has put into his personal improvement is great.

May the best corner win!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kind of a curious statement for Carroll to make. Sounds like he's trying to make up for his recent arrogance by going way overboard with the humility. As a fan, it's not the kind of attitude I want from a first-round draft pick who started last season. I'm afraid Carroll may be headed for an Antuan Edwards/Marques Anderson kind of career. I hope I'm wrong.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the Patriots, who have a pretty good track record with making players out of other teams' cast-offs, have signed Antuan Edwards. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with Belichik and Mangini's coaching this season.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now he has talked the talk. Let's see him walk the walk.

He has all the time before and during TC to turn himself around.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Greg. It sounds to me like Caroll is underestimating himself by saying Thomas should start. Thats a tall statement. I would keep my mouth shut and work like hell rather then let the coaches hear you say that you think a guy should have you starting spot.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like Thomas has been in town working out all year and Carroll hasn't. Perhaps the lesson learned for Carroll is that becoming a quality pro player takes a lot more than talent. Without effort, talent is just a word that explains what you should have been.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schmitty said:
I agree Greg. It sounds to me like Caroll is underestimating himself by saying Thomas should start. Thats a tall statement. I would keep my mouth shut and work like hell rather then let the coaches hear you say that you think a guy should have you starting spot.
Maybe it's a ploy in humility. He's just saying something like that to be generous and get people to think he's not such a jerk afterall.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll's motives for the comments he made are hard to figure like some of you mentioned. I don't know which DB should or will start, but I'm hoping Bates can help turn at least one of the two into a good corner that's worthy of a starting spot this year opposite Harris.

chickpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of find that statement disconcerting.... sounds like Carrol is already giving up and that he didn't prepare himself during the off-season. It could easily be read that Carrol is lazy and is comfortable being the back up because then people won't expect so much of him.

Or he could be trying to play a mental game with Thomas....but I don't think he is that smart.

Why would Carrol have to start over in camp? Meaning the new defense scheme - if Thomas had a chance to study it why would Carroll. Maybe Thomas stayed around GB and Carroll didn't but still the level of implied complacency shouldn't be so high.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It also gives the impression he is giving up with the starting over at TC statement. I hope he gets his head together and opens his ears to the coaches.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like he's trying to become a team player and bury the hatchet in regards of JT. This may just be the humility fire to get him to concentrate and do the best he can, no excuses. I hope it's not the "big baby" approach where now he fades away.

Members online

Latest posts