Bulaga Ahead of Schedule

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Bakhtiari has regressed from his play at the end of last season. I was hoping it was because of injury but we’re four games into the season. If Bulaga is back Sunday and is close to 100%, they can help Bakhtiari instead of Barclay. Lacy excels at chipping and still getting out into the flat. I noticed one play against the 9ers he chipped Barclay’s guy and turned him around. Michael Rodney of Packers Notes made the point that OT (drafted to actually play OT, not OG) can’t be ignored in the next draft. Let's hope one slips to 31 for the Packers.
31st. pick? Are you assuming the Packers will lose in the Super Bowl? For shame! ;)

I may have been in the minority of not having been particularly impressed with Bakhtiari in the first place. My base line assessment for his first 2 seasons was "average LT" with a partial markdown from there because of his high penalty count in those 2 season. Even so, he has regressed.

Drafting an OT should certainly be a consideration. Besides going cold on the idea of re-upping Bakhtiari after 2016, if that's the thought, the Packers top drawer OG pair are both free agents as well after 2016. If either Sitton or Lang are not signed, an upgrade at LT would be even more of an issue.

But it is awfully early to single out one position as a top priority in the next draft. Daniels/Raji/Guion will be FAs after this season; Perry and Neal as well, with Peppers contract up at the end of 2016 along with the consideration of how well he holds up as this season wears on. As regards D-Line and OLB, the draft picture will hinge on who gets re-upped and who does not. We saw this with the CB position in the last draft.

We also need to see if Matthew's performance at ILB projects to a shelf life past 2015 or if teams find a way to exploit the soft underbelly when he's not there. ILB may be in consideration...again.

Then there's any career-threatening or career-ending injury that might arise in the interim.

While OT is in the conversation at this early juncture, I'd not jump to that idea of OT in the first round quite yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I expected Bakhtiari to build on last season's success - particularly how he was playing later in the season. He should have been able to add good weight and strength to help him against bull rushes (he did improve on that from his rookie year). He's never going to be an elite pass blocking LT but IMO he was plenty good enough when Rodgers was playing on a leg and a half.

I'm not serious about assigning the number one need for the 2016 draft at this point. But obviously OT has to be near the top unless Bakhtiari turns it around, or Walker out-of-the-blue shows he can play RT. And even if one of those things happens, with Bulaga's injury history...

BTW, captainWIMM corrected me when I previously posted about the Packers having the 32nd pick...

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

BTW, captainWIMM corrected me when I previously posted about the Packers having the 32nd pick...
???You were right the first time??? There will be only 31 picks with NE's forfeiture. The Captain didn't correct you...I would assume that he assumed you were accounting for that. ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
???You were right the first time??? There will be only 31 picks with NE's forfeiture. The Captain didn't correct you...I would assume that he assumed you were accounting for that. ;)
He corrected me previously when I posted something about the Packers picking at #32 (after winning another title).

D

Deleted member 6794

31st. pick? Are you assuming the Packers will lose in the Super Bowl? For shame! ;)

I may have been in the minority of not having been particularly impressed with Bakhtiari in the first place. My base line assessment for his first 2 seasons was "average LT" with a partial markdown from there because of his high penalty count in those 2 season. Even so, he has regressed.

Bakhtiari struggled in run blocking during his first two years in the league but was absolutely serviceable in pass protection. Unfortunately he has regressed in that area as well.

He corrected me previously when I posted something about the Packers picking at #32 (after winning another title).

Let's hope the Packers don't lose to the Patriots in Super Bowl 50, that would make me look like a fool. ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with captain. I thought he was good in his pass sets his rookie season. Then again, we were thirsty for a guy to not get Rodgers killed. His run blocking was what one would expect from a mid-round rookie LT. He regressed in his pass protection last year but didn't improve his run blocking. He's average at best right now and really needs a kick in the pass because he's got the tools to be a good (but not great) LT.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bakhtiari struggled in run blocking during his first two years in the league but was absolutely serviceable in pass protection. Unfortunately he has regressed in that area as well.
Here's McGinn's season ending grade on him:
Added much-needed strength and weight (to 312) in the off-season and improved as a second-year starter. Played 96.3% of the snaps at left tackle, where he and Detroit's Riley Reiff shared the top spot on the All-NFC North team. With new-found strength came confidence and a more physical approach. Won't be 24 until September so he still can improve by leaps and bounds. Allowed more sacks (5½), pressures (33) and "bad" runs (19½) than any lineman. Drew more penalties (eight), too. Despite the numbers, he was never close to being a liability. Anchored much better against bull rushers and cut off better on the back side in the run game. Now he needs to become more consistent blocking edge speed for pass and sustain longer at the point of attack for run. Grade: B-minus.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eport-card-offense-b99431312z1-289705751.html

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm with captain. I thought he was good in his pass sets his rookie season. Then again, we were thirsty for a guy to not get Rodgers killed. His run blocking was what one would expect from a mid-round rookie LT. He regressed in his pass protection last year but didn't improve his run blocking. He's average at best right now and really needs a kick in the pass because he's got the tools to be a good (but not great) LT.

I don't think Bakhtiari regressed in pass protection last season but started to struggle in that area after coming back from the knee injury suffered during training camp this year.

RonTom6

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having such an impactful veteran out there is a help, however we are allowing some blocked balls today and it has cost us. Welcome back

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Bakhtiari regressed in pass protection last season but started to struggle in that area after coming back from the knee injury suffered during training camp this year.
Looking at his stats it does look he improved slightly from 2013 to 2014. He went from 37 pressures to 33 pressures, 6.5 sacks to 5.5 sacks, and 10 penalties to 8 penalties. I stand corrected in that respect but I think I was expecting more improvement between his rookie and sophomore seasons. That's probably why he seemed to regress in my eyes even though he was improving. I think that we can all agree that in Year 3 his arrow isn't pointing nearly as far upward as we want, for whatever the reason.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think that we can all agree that in Year 3 his arrow isn't pointing nearly as far upward as we want, for whatever the reason.
IMO it would be an improvement if the arrow were pointing sideways as compared to how he finished last season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts