Bubba Franks signs...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$40 million is high unless they seriously raise the cap for every team. We'll have approximately $20 million under the cap as it currently stands.

Reaction score
Well said tromadz. While I do agree with you that he will get cut after possibly 5 years, I would love it if the Pack and Bubba would perhaps extend the deal, or even have Bubba restructure the final two years to allow the Pack more cap reliefe. (Or even take a pay cut the final two years. :mrgreen:

Cali, I think that 40 million is pushing it by all standards. If Brett does retire (OH DEAR GOD NO! :( ), then I can see the Packers cap being around 30 million. But with the Cap going up next year, I would think about 25 million in cap space is a good guess.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm using the Unofficial cap site at cox.net. The over 40 million figure includes the money that will be used on Green, Longwell, Flanagan et al. So it will be reduced rapidly.

We will have about half a cap and half a team to sign. There are not many players signed beyond the end of this year. But the Packers will have one of the best cap positions next year.

Next offseason will be crazy. What if Bubba's deal makes it 38 million. We gain it back and more if we cut Hunt after this season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big contract makes me wonder why Thompson lowballed Bubba with the transition tag in the off-season. Bubba is not nearly as good as those other $4 million per year tight ends, but hopefully this is a back-loaded deal that won't hurt the cap too much. It will be good to have Bubba back on the field next week.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The big contract makes me wonder why Thompson lowballed Bubba with the transition tag in the off-season. Bubba is not nearly as good as those other $4 million per year tight ends, but hopefully this is a back-loaded deal that won't hurt the cap too much. It will be good to have Bubba back on the field next week.

This doesn't make sense because we do not have a viable back up TE but maybe he was hoping for a trade or for someone else to makea contract so he could just match it or maybe just get a pick in return for the loss of Franks.

None of that makes all that much sense to me though.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
I just ope we transition him onto the field correctly. With all the time he has been away from the live contact, I don't know if we could afford for him to get injured forcing him in. IMO I'm stoked to have him back.

Good point! They way we are so thin at TE, it doesn't make sense to overwork him too much at the start and get him hurt like we did with Levens.

I too am glad to see him back. We need him.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
this just occurred to me, but Javon has to love this news, knowing the Packers are still willing to treat their own well.

I agree. I'm guessing the Packers told Javon too behind closed doors that they'll take care of him at the end of the season.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
P@ck66 said:
Slick, I doubt it....
I bet you anything Rosseley will be calling more plays than (almost) anyone on this forum will be comfortable with.... you'll see...

Sherman said with the success that was last year with him making the call selections he will continue and will take advice from Rossley.
IMHO - which is important to only me.... is this ----
Sherman and Rossley are "golfing buddies" - have been for a long long time - that's how he networked himself into the OC Chair. Everyone knows the drill....

Having said that - We've seen that with Rossley outta the way (?) - The Packers regain their true form on Offense. It's written about endlessly, all over the web, forum after forum.....

Add to that, the fact that you will never ever get Sherman to find fault with his golfing partner... it'd affect their chance to relax away from Lambeau... deal with it.

Sherman has demonstrated to me.... that he will cover for his Coaches who are (to use a word) "sloppy" with handling their responsibilities and are quite lax in their talents, as well.

We "know" that Rossley has a tendency to play prevent football when he gets his conservative play calling routine running and the Team has found it's way into a corner....

WE ALSO KNOW that playing prevent football --- PREVENTS a TEAM FROM WINNING.

So - there is a certain handicap with Rossley in the OC Chair. Packerfans will have to live with this detail until Sherman leaves the HC position, period.

Sherman will cover for Rossley and as he has admitted, will continue to pre-plan all games with Rossley's majority input. Sherman may want all of us to think that "he" will be calling the games... But, how gullible are you guys?

You (all) will be able to tell when Rossley is calling the plays by what order they come in at what part of the game... Sherman will not step in unless he has no choice and they will then say it's all the Players' doing in what caused that change in protocol.

You damn skippy - Rossley will be calling plays again on Offense.
We're in no position to have it be any other way...

BUT - THERE's THIS ONE OPTION that I think TT has allowed for himself...
Sherman just got a two year extension - I have not heard that Rossley got the same deal, have any of you? Well, there ya go.... If Rossley does NOT improve HIS performance... I would think that a long discussion is due with Mike Sherman at the end of this Season with regards to who the OC should be at that time.

LIke I said, it's JMHO - but there it is.... Anyone see it differently, speak right up!

Members online

Latest posts