Breno Giocomini

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giacomini gets a big boost - JSOnline

Of course Mike Mccarthy wouldn't downplay this guy despite him contributing almost next to nothing over the past couple of years. His days are numbered as TJ Lang is the incumbent heir to the RT position and Tauscher is the clear cut starter as of now. Still, I believe Giocomini has a shot to make the team, on the practice squad of course.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this on another packers website in the comments section and thought it was very true

Things you always hear in May and June:

“Most Improved”
“Competing for a starting position”
“Can start in this league”
“Nose for the ball”
“Making some noise”
“He’s really learned the system in the offseason”
“We’re really deep at position ‘X’ this year”

Things you never hear in May and June:

“He needs a perfect camp to make the roster”
“It’s obvious he’s a fan of Dunkin’ Doughnuts”
“Yes, you’re still 5th on our depth chart”
“He couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat”
“He’ll be lucky to make the practice squad”

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. I'd say this is another one of the expendables. Maybe TT should bundle a few of these guys together and trade for a good corner or OLB??

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this will be the year the line becomes a force. Maybe Campen knows what he's doing. Maybe the oil will disappear in the gulf waters. Who knows.

dtracy7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Breno could be the shocker of the roster!! I think TJ becomes the LG and Breno backs up Tausher. Here is how it shakes down!

Clifton back up Bulaga
TJ Lang
Wells back up EDS
Sitton back up Newhouse for both Guard spots
Tausher back up Breno

Colledge will get traded during pre-season
Spitz will get traded during pre-season
Barbre gets cut
McDonald will be on the PS
Campbell will be on the PS

Its time to start over with the line and let the best players play. I think we will see Bulaga start before the third Regular season game, because CC is injuried. But CC will never start again after that, healthy or not.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Breno could be the shocker of the roster!! I think TJ becomes the LG and Breno backs up Tausher. Here is how it shakes down!

Clifton back up Bulaga
TJ Lang
Wells back up EDS
Sitton back up Newhouse for both Guard spots
Tausher back up Breno

Colledge will get traded during pre-season
Spitz will get traded during pre-season
Barbre gets cut
McDonald will be on the PS
Campbell will be on the PS

Its time to start over with the line and let the best players play. I think we will see Bulaga start before the third Regular season game, because CC is injuried. But CC will never start again after that, healthy or not.

I don't think Sitton will get replaced by Newhouse anytime soon. He was our best lineman and the coaches absolutely love him. Trading away Colledge and Spitz is a very dangerous move. Trading one of them would be fine by me but both just gets rid of your LG depth completely.

dtracy7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse would be the back up. Sitton would be the starter. Sorry for any confusion.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse would be the back up. Sitton would be the starter. Sorry for any confusion.

I think that's how the coaches see it with Newhouse. They still don't know where he fits exactly and may need a whole preseason or more to finally determine where he could play. I say let him practice at RG and back up Sitton for a year. Once he finally gets down all the fundamentals of a guard, I would then make him the starting LG depending on what we do with either Spitz or Colledge.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be very cautious about putting a rookie to start. Unless he shows he's way ahead of the current starter, and, honeslty, I don't see any starter in this team that is lacking. But I may or may not be wearing green and gold glasses...

dtracy7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Newhouse will end up in one of the three middle positions. I would like him to practice both G positions. I think 2-3 years the line will be

Bulaga
Lang
Newhouse
Sitton
Giocomini or McDonald they really like this guy

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Newhouse will end up in one of the three middle positions. I would like him to practice both G positions. I think 2-3 years the line will be

Bulaga
Lang
Newhouse
Sitton
Giocomini or McDonald they really like this guy

Hmmm... Newhouse at C, never thought about that before but I read during rookie minicamps they were letting him try to snap the ball. IMO I think they should keep him at guard and let Wells be our long term center. I know Wells isn't a big guy but he certainly has what it takes to be a dominant C in the league. C's tend to get better with age so I think Wells is certainly entering his prime.

I don't care if Lang has short arms, slow feet or whatever but I think the kid should definitely get some snaps at LT if need be. I mean did anyone see Lang perform after Clifton went down in the wildcard game? I was scared as hell at first but when I saw Lang make those two pancakes, I felt relieved. IMO I believe Lang is our RT of the future but the guy is a beast. I think as the season progressed Lang kept getting better and better, with the ARIZ game being his breakout performance. If Lang gets a shot at LT in the preseason I would love to see what he can do.

dtracy7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also really like Lang. But Bulaga will be given every chance to replace CC. Lang could be the RT of the future. But until Tausher is gone Lang needs a spot. LG would be a good one and if Tauscher gets hurt then Lang is an option. No matter what Lang needs to be on the field!! I think with the trend of the NT getting so big, The size of the C will need to increase. I just cant see how a 6'2" 305 C has a chance against a guy who weighs 330-350 most of the NT are about 6"2", Newhouse would have the size to handle it.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this will be the year the line becomes a force. Maybe Campen knows what he's doing. Maybe the oil will disappear in the gulf waters. Who knows.
Maybe this is the year that our Government will open their books and come clean about UFO's and all their coverups.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also really like Lang. But Bulaga will be given every chance to replace CC. Lang could be the RT of the future. But until Tausher is gone Lang needs a spot. LG would be a good one and if Tauscher gets hurt then Lang is an option. No matter what Lang needs to be on the field!! I think with the trend of the NT getting so big, The size of the C will need to increase. I just cant see how a 6'2" 305 C has a chance against a guy who weighs 330-350 most of the NT are about 6"2", Newhouse would have the size to handle it.
Wells played against the best NTs of the game last year and did incredibly well (in pass pro) against them.

I believe Wells is grossly underrated.

About Lang, I'd like him to stay at RT and take all the snaps at RT. I don't even thin Tauscher will be able to finish the season, so we need a guy ready to step in NOW.

My understanding is that in 2 years the line will be Bulaga-Newhouse-EDS-Sitton-Lang, and will be a true strenght of this team.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wells played against the best NTs of the game last year and did incredibly well (in pass pro) against them.

I believe Wells is grossly underrated.

About Lang, I'd like him to stay at RT and take all the snaps at RT. I don't even thin Tauscher will be able to finish the season, so we need a guy ready to step in NOW.

My understanding is that in 2 years the line will be Bulaga-Newhouse-EDS-Sitton-Lang, and will be a true strenght of this team.

This may very well be true. I don't believe Tauscher has much left in the tank and expect 2010 to be his final year as a starter. I also believe that there is a lot of uncertainty about who will play where. The next RT is totally up in the air - could be Lang, Giacomini, Newhouse, or maybe even Bulaga if his arms really are too short for the left side or Clifton regains his productivity. I liked what I saw from Lang last year and would like to see him get a shot at being the starter at RT.

The only things I see as being fairly certain (barring injury) in 2011 are:
- Sitton will start at RG
- Bulaga will start - either at LT or RT - depending upon the health of Clifton

Beyond that, who knows? There are positives and negatives with every other guy
- Colledge hasn't proved he is consistent, but was their best OL in 2008
- Wells gets the job done at C, but is undersized
- Spitz is talented, but has injury problems - possibly with his back
- Lang looks good, but has been moved around so much it's difficult to tell where he will fit best or if he a better utilityman
- Newhouse is unproven
- EDS hasn't played enough for any fan to evaluate

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't get two things:
a.) Why don't they put Lang at RT, and let him get practice reps solely there. I just think it really can unsettle such young players(e.g. Colledge) particularly, to get reps all over the line, without having any kind of determined position.
b.) This armlength-talk is really gettin' on my nerves. Joe Thomas' arms, for my money the best LT in the league, are about 32' and a quarter. If they, due to Bulaga's lacking armstrength start to put him at RT or G, I'd be really pissed, 'cause we need an answer at LT, better now than later. So give Bulaga a whole TC solely at LT and try to slowly develop him into CC's succesor. If he isn't the one, right, so be it, but we gotta give him the best of chances to become our LT of the future.

As for Giacomini, I'd love to see him as another competitor for the RT spot. But I wonder what's has to be going on with him since last July and August, when he was beat out by Allen "every unit needs its Jarrett Bush" Barbre for RT. For what I've heard, they're both pretty similar, techniquewise. Nasty runblockers(my gosh, Barbre was a monster doing that), but dismal passprotectors.
As of now, I'd like to see TJ Lang as the main backup for Tausch. Simply because of the fact, that he already has experience and displayed real talent later in the season(e.g. the wildcard game).

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts