BREAKING NEWS Packers keep Clifton

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
the big-spending redskins could not pry left tackle chad clifton away from the packers.

Espn's adam schefter reports that clifton will get three years and $20 million from green bay. $7.5 million is guaranteed.

Also guaranteed: That g.m. Ted thompson won't be roasted locally for losing aaron rodgers' solid blind side protection. Now the packers just need a right tackle.
done deal

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much money but hey, it's insurance.

At the very least, as NYPackers, if I'm not wrong, have said, he can be a great mentor.

And as there's no cap space...

The best thing, actually? Clifton probably will retire as a Packer.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, TT caved on this, but I'd rather have that happen then him leaving for another team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been any talk about possible teams with Tausch right?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, TT caved on this, but I'd rather have that happen then him leaving for another team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been any talk about possible teams with Tausch right?
Yeah, Tausch is the one that will keep me awake at night.
Losing him is a blow. I think Lang is best suited at RT, but Tauscher right now is a better player than Lang. Was last year, at least. But if you consider Lang improving and Tausch declining because of age...

Anyway, Tauscher still can play, and he should be back with us.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I'd also want Tausch back for at least one more year and give Lang some more time to develop. Tausch proved he still has some gas left in the tank.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is.... YESS!!!

Too much money but hey, it's insurance.

At the very least, as NYPackers, if I'm not wrong, have said, he can be a great mentor.

And as there's no cap space...

The best thing, actually? Clifton probably will retire as a Packer.

Now that he is back on the team, this is probably the ideal role for him. I definitely see him teaching one of our younger guys the ropes before moving ahead for the future. ALSO, for those of you guys concerned about overpaying him, even though it's a 3 yr deal TT might just pay him for this yr and plan on giving him up the next. The way I see it, the packers go LT with the first pick. Clifton and the rookie share duties at the LT spot throughout the 2010 season. By preseason 2011 (hopefully a deal for a new CBA gets done) the rookie beats out Clifton for the starting spot and Clifton gets released. I know, I know sad on Clifton's part but a business is a business.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very happy to see the news, especially when you see Detroit and Chicago beef up their d-lines. Now let's get Tausch back.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it not amazing how the legions feel TT is a genius? I'll admit, he knows which buttons to press to get the masses drinking his sugary beverage.

A few days ago, Cliffy was washed-up and not worth anything close to the amount he ended up receiving. Ah, but that was ages ago, right?

TT's seemed to have nestled himself into a comfortable position in which he cannot lose. If he lets somebody walk, well, that player wasn't worth it. If he signs a particular player, then he's the man. It's classic, really.

Don't get me wrong, Clifton NEEDED to be retained, but the thing that bothers me is the fact that TT's placed himself into this position by nickel-n-diming the O-line since he's been here. Now, he's probably purchased himself another two years of further neglect to the most important cog in the machine.

I sit here absolutely amazed.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im happy that Clifton is staying. Was he paid too much? Yes. But as was said, he needed to be re-signed.

Now, does this change our 1st round thinking in the draft? Do we still draft a tackle?

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im happy that Clifton is staying. Was he paid too much? Yes. But as was said, he needed to be re-signed.

Now, does this change our 1st round thinking in the draft? Do we still draft a tackle?

Agree, Agree... and yes, he'll probably end up injured after 4-5 games.. him in the mentor role would help put immensely.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This old Packer fan has just one word...phew! :good:

You and me both...big time!!

Now...as for Tausch...look no further than what the Pack was while Tausch was out and what they did AFTER his return...coincidence?...hardly. My sole gripe with Thompson is that like his mentor (Ron Wolf), there isn't a PREMIUM placed on the O-line. Wolf at least paid lip service to the value of quality O-linemen in his book...he just never went after the quality big fat guys, you know? Thompson doesn't even pay lip service to the great big fat guys up front...which has always scared me. This team just doesn't dominate at the point of impact. Please, bring me a bunch of great big fat guys and dump the zone blocking scheme, Ted...for I too am an OldSchoolFan.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, Agree... and yes, he'll probably end up injured after 4-5 games.. him in the mentor role would help put immensely.

No, they still need to draft OLinemen. Spitz is always questionable, Barbre really didnt work out very well and who know whats going on with Colledge.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I would still like to know why TT has not gotten anything done with Tauscher.

What is plan”B” when Clifton goes down with a leg injury game 3 ? If Lang starts at right tackle, do we start the O-line shuffle again by moving Lang to left and Barbre is back at right tackle? I guess it is great that at least Clifton is an option and we have the hope he can play all the games, but as soon as he is not available we are back where we started.

IMO we still need another veteran signing, wether that is Tauscher or somebody else and a solid left tackle rookie prospect.

THE O-LINE DID NOT GET BETTER BY SIGNING CLIFTON FROM LAST YEARS PERSPECTIVE, BECAUSE OF HIS DECLINING SKILLS WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR IMPROVING THE O-LINE, BARLEY MAINTAINING LAST YEARS PERFORMANCE WHICH IS NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this is a bad move by the Packers, I look at it much like the Kampman situation, we decide to keep him as appose to moving on. A year latter after deciding to keep Kampman and we have nothing to show for it, but a seventh round rookie prospect.

Keeping Clifton will be the same next year (or really some time during the season when Clifton goes on the IR) we will have nothing from this signing but lost time and opportunity to develop a suitable replacement.

This was an easy and safe decision by TT, the good GMs make the hard and bold moves to improve your team.

The signing of Clifton did nothing to improve the O-line performance from last year, and does nothing for the long term.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this is a bad move by the Packers, I look at it much like the Kampman situation, we decide to keep him as appose to moving on. A year latter after deciding to keep Kampman and we have nothing to show for it, but a seventh round rookie prospect.

Keeping Clifton will be the same next year (or really some time during the season when Clifton goes on the IR) we will have nothing from this signing but lost time and opportunity to develop a suitable replacement.

This was an easy and safe decision by TT, the good GMs make the hard and bold moves to improve your team.

The signing of Clifton did nothing to improve the O-line performance from last year, and does nothing for the long term.
exactly what this guy said.. the packers are gonna pay him over 7 million dollars a year to mentor who? an LT that we havent even drafted?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly what this guy said.. the packers are gonna pay him over 7 million dollars a year to mentor who? an LT that we havent even drafted?

At least 1 mentor is better than no mentor at all. Green Bay will get at least 1 OT in the draft and paying Clifton that amount of money to groom the rookie is fine with me. Besides who else are we going to spend money on to teach our line? James Campen?... What a joke.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least 1 mentor is better than no mentor at all. Green Bay will get at least 1 OT in the draft and paying Clifton that amount of money to groom the rookie is fine with me. Besides who else are we going to spend money on to teach our line? James Campen?... What a joke.
for that fire the oline coach we have now and hire ole cliffy for the job.. that way we dont waste money

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for that fire the oline coach we have now and hire ole cliffy for the job.. that way we dont waste money
Unfortunately, Clifton was the best LT available out there. Not only that, he'd probably be one of the best backup LTs...

You're right, hiring someone for mentoring purposes is a bad move.

But I'd rather overpay someone who's already with us, and that is needed, than someone from outside that you don't know how he'll play, and how he'll fare with the rest of the players...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keeping a veteran player while rotating in their replacement is a proven method and will work when it comes to lineman. If you don't believe me look up William Beaty, Phil Loadholt, Sebastian Volmer, Michael Oher, Jake Long, David Dhiel and Joe Thomas. All of these lineman were rotated in the first couple of games until fully taking over later on in their rookie seasons.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Clifton was the best LT available out there. Not only that, he'd probably be one of the best backup LTs...

You're right, hiring someone for mentoring purposes is a bad move.

But I'd rather overpay someone who's already with us, and that is needed, than someone from outside that you don't know how he'll play, and how he'll fare with the rest of the players...
fair enough.. putting it that way makes a little more sense.

Keeping a veteran player while rotating in their replacement is a proven method and will work when it comes to lineman. If you don't believe me look up William Beaty, Phil Loadholt, Sebastian Volmer, Michael Oher, Jake Long, David Dhiel and Joe Thomas. All of these lineman were rotated in the first couple of games until fully taking over later on in their rookie seasons.
well than lets just hope we go that way in the draft... if so than i stand corrected

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fair enough.. putting it that way makes a little more sense.

well than lets just hope we go that way in the draft... if so than i stand corrected
I don't think noone thinks the Packers are settled at OL.

I personally am not so worried about our OL in 2010. I don't think we have a good OL, but with the one that finished the season, we have a capable enough Ol.

However, I know that we pretty much have nothing for 2011. Lang seems to be the future RT, and Sitton looks set at RG. But Wells is old, the LG is a mess, and Clifton is old.

If we get a rookie only in 2011, then the chances of him playing well as a rookie are slim.

I think we absolutely need to get a rookie this year. I believe we also NEED to get one in the first round, but I'm not going to pre-judge anyone before they play...

Members online

Latest posts