Losers

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HA-HA Broncos & Patriots!

We all know the real way to build a great team is to draft & develop.
Signing good players via free agency is A) stupid, B) expensive, C) risky, D) not right.

Why don't these guys know they should have waited to May's draft and find some collegiate guys to fill their holes?
Safeties like draft gems Jerron McMillian or Brandon Underwood, or undrafted nuggets like MD Jennings or Sean Richardson?
Or unwanted CHEAPER free agents like Marquand Manuel!

John Elway is so stupid!!!
Belichick is an idiot for paying so much for one great CB in Revis.
Doesn't he know Revis is just a cornerback?

QUOTES from CNNSI mixed with my takes:

The AFC Champion Broncos knew their defense of 2013 was lacking in both talent and intimidation (sound familiar Packer fans? Well, Capers knew this too... but his boss Thompson thinks Capers should be able to develop Ted's youngsters), and they (Broncos) want Super Bowl rings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...s-tj-ward-aqib-talib-demarcus-ware/?eref=sihp

First came TJ Ward, a safety, to the tune of $23 million (or $16 million less than Rosenhaus R***d Thompson for in the Shields deal) over four years, with $14 million guaranteed. He would have, I think, been an instant, huge upgrade over what the Packers have no? And he's young.

A few hours later, Aqib Talib, a cornerback. He got a six-year, $57 million deal, with $26 million guaranteed. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...s-tj-ward-aqib-talib-demarcus-ware/?eref=sihp

On Wednesday morning, Talib boarded a flight from Dallas to Denver. He put on his headphones and dozed off, but when he woke up, he noticed a familiar face a few rows away. It was defensive end DeMarcus Ware, bound for Denver too, and the team announced his three-year, $30 million ($20 million guaranteed) deal the next day.

On these defensive additions alone, the Broncos spent $110 million ($60 million guaranteed) in the opening days of free agency, and in a blink their defense went from a weakness to a solid unit, if not a strength.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...-ward-aqib-talib-demarcus-ware/#ixzz2voE3q7zP

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/12/patriots-sign-darrelle-revis/?eref=sircrc
Report: Patriots, Darrelle Revis agree to one-year, $12 million deal
The New England Patriots and cornerback Darrelle Revis reached agreement on a one-year, $12 million deal, according to ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

HA-HA Stupid Broncos!!!!
Now what will they do in May when the draft is here?

Oh wait, they're still allowed to draft too?

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you'd like to be in a giant cap mess in two to three years with Rodgers still being awesome, then I'm really glad you're not TT.

It's pretty easy to see that the Broncos are loading up trying to win one before Manning is all done. Rodgers has much more time left than Manning.

And remember the team that wins in March rarely wins in January and February. There is no guarantee the Broncos defense will be better.

Plus, the Patriots lost one really good corner and gained one really good corner. I doubt that's going to make much difference on how good they are.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I still can't dismiss the lingering sense that Denver's spending spree might not work out as planned. Because when has any team's free agency splurge -- at least on the Super Bowl-or-bust level -- truly gone as planned? I can't decide if their high-profile acquisitions of the past two days makes the Broncos the most massive Super Bowl favorites in recent memory, or merely the latest ill-fated "dream team'' candidate? ....

Dismiss the trend if you dare, but NFL teams that win the offseason don't usually win the postseason....I don't really buy it, but what if Dallas' assessment of Ware proves more correct than Denver's, and he's heading for the downside of his career, rather than a return to elite form in 2014? What if Talib's relatively quiet and productive New England tenure turns out to be the exception, and the inconsistencies of his stint with Tampa Bay are replicated to some degree with the Broncos?

(He has a history of marijuana use, and now he's moving to Colorado, where weed has been legalized for recreational use). What if Ward doesn't supply the impact as the in-the-box safety Denver needs and expects?"

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...marcus-ware-aqib-talib-tj-ward/#ixzz2voS5xJ5X

Basically, the signings look good now, but nothing good is guaranteed to come out of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you'd like to be in a giant cap mess in two to three years with Rodgers still being awesome, then I'm really glad you're not TT.

It's pretty easy to see that the Broncos are loading up trying to win one before Manning is all done. Rodgers has much more time left than Manning.

And remember the team that wins in March rarely wins in January and February. There is no guarantee the Broncos defense will be better.

Plus, the Patriots lost one really good corner and gained one really good corner. I doubt that's going to make much difference on how good they are.
How do you know this? Mannings contract will be off the books by then, which will allow for these signings. Maybe?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...marcus-ware-aqib-talib-tj-ward/#ixzz2voS5xJ5X

Basically, the signings look good now, but nothing good is guaranteed to come out of them.

That entire article is based on odds. Even so, the writer acknowledges that the Broncos went for broke. Don't be silly. Adding Ware, Talib and Ward is huge. It's beyond a major upgrade to a defense. It is massive. Of course all 3 could end up on IR. That's the chance you take. But what are the chances that the Broncos defense will be better, much better next year? Pretty good.

Yes, Biff Elway and the Broncos are in "win now" mode. The Packers are not quite on that situation, so this wouldn't fit them. But that doesn't detract from what the Broncos did. Odds? So what. The Broncos have put themselves in a situation to get back to the SB like no other team has.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know this? Mannings contract will be off the books by then, which will allow for these signings. Maybe?

I suppose I don't know for sure, but 60 million guaranteed in these guys sure doesn't bode well for the cap.

That entire article is based on odds. Even so, the writer acknowledges that the Broncos went for broke. Don't be silly. Adding Ware, Talib and Ward is huge. It's beyond a major upgrade to a defense. It is massive. Of course all 3 could end up on IR. That's the chance you take. But what are the chances that the Broncos defense will be better, much better next year? Pretty good.

Yes, Biff Elway and the Broncos are in "win now" mode. The Packers are not quite on that situation, so this wouldn't fit them. But that doesn't detract from what the Broncos did. Odds? So what. The Broncos have put themselves in a situation to get back to the SB like no other team has.

I posted earlier about how the Packers are in a situation in response to the original post comparing the Broncos and Packers to each other. Totally different situations.

Also, I'll disagree with the odds being pretty good of a better, much better defense.. The last time I can think of a team that made this big of moves on defense was Tampa Bay last season with Revis and Goldston. Guess how much they improved? A whole .3 points a game or 5 points total.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the broncos struggle to score any points in the SB, lose a #2 WR, and dump money into the defense?

I mean they upgraded the D but it wasn't a shootout in the SB, it was the offense that had issues.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I doubt getting nobody on defense is really going to make a diference on how much the packers defense improves

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose I don't know for sure, but 60 million guaranteed in these guys sure doesn't bode well for the cap.

Actually, what the Broncos did was pretty smart and won't hurt them in the long run. Ware signed a 3-year 30 mil contract. Manning's contract is up after next year and he may play one more year after that. So basically, the Broncos loaded up for next year, but 2 years down the road 2 huge contracts come off the books.

Meanwhile they can draft and develop a few guys behind 3 all-pros they just landed, a safety, a CB, and an elite OLB/DE pass rusher.

So, everyone who thinks that the Broncos sold the farm just for next year might be surprised when in year 3 they aren't in such bad shape cap-wise, and they still have an all-pro safety and an all-pro CB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I took a look at the contracts the Broncos handed out over the last two days and they're structured really good, don't think they will be in cap hell in one or two years (the Talib contract numbers still aren't known though).

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took a look at the contracts the Broncos handed out over the last two days and they're structured really good, don't think they will be in cap hell in one or two years (the Talib contract numbers still aren't known though).

I don't think the cap matters. I doubt any of the guys they signed yesterday will be there in year 3 anyway except maybe Ward. They aren't playing for long term anyway. They're just trying to squeeze the last of their football life out of em with Manning. I just don't see it working.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think the cap matters. I doubt any of the guys they signed yesterday will be there in year 3 anyway except maybe Ward. They aren't playing for long term anyway. They're just trying to squeeze the last of their football life out of em with Manning. I just don't see it working.

The way the contracts are structured matter, cause players that are released before the end of their contracts result in dead money counting against the cap.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
With as many rings as Bill bell-a-cheat has, I would hardly call the man stupid or the team stupid. The broncos....hmm....maybe that was a little much seeing as how this could be mannings last year and he overpaid for the others.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I did some digging about the Broncos future cap and this is all I could find.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-crude-guesstimate-on-denvers-current-cap-space

No idea how reliable a source it is, but it does say the cap number seems like it will me fine. You guys could be right and I certainly could be wrong about my salary cap mess post.

Although, I'm still not changing my stance that these signings do not guarantee anything for the Broncos based on recent history.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But they have guys like Von, DT, and Julius coming up all will be top 5 paid at their positions

D

Deleted member 6794

But they have guys like Von, DT, and Julius coming up all will be top 5 paid at their positions

That is true, but Von Miller and Demariyus Thomas will already count more than $11 million vs. the cap next year. Of course they will get more lucrative deals, but they´ll figure out a way to stay under the cap.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is true, but Von Miller and Demariyus Thomas will already count more than $11 million vs. the cap next year. Of course they will get more lucrative deals, but they´ll figure out a way to stay under the cap.

IF Elway is able to win a SB with this regime and somehow keep this team relevant post Manning he will not doubt be the best GM in the NFL IMO. At this point if I were them, I'd almost be willing to mortage thier draft and go up and get one of the QB's in this class to develop ala Rodgers/Favre situation.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
And what will happen if Manning goes down, another sucky season for the team? Clearly a SB or bust antic and I'll laugh if the QB behind Manning has to play in serious scenarios. Somehow I get the feeling if the Broncos are in a similar situation as the Packers were last season, they wouldn't make the playoffs. Also remember the Eagles and their dream team of lore.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that I've thought more about the Broncos spending spree, I don't have a problem with it. They know Manning's time is limited and are going for it all. It's not sustainable, of course, but thy might as well go for broke while Manning is still there.

Now if the Packers did the same with Rodgers having many years left, I would not be happy the moves.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way the contracts are structured matter, cause players that are released before the end of their contracts result in dead money counting against the cap.

I'm aware of that, I just believe that after Manning retires after next year or the next they're gonna be blowing things up and starting over somewhat so I don't think they really care too much about the cap for then.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lmk when they fix the offense that couldn't do anything in the SB

10-4. Can they sign a new arm for Peyton strong enough to throw over defenses?

P.S., Looks like Elway is pushing all his chips in early. This either works and they win a super bowl or it looks like a spectacular failure in 2 years.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
10-4. Can they sign a new arm for Peyton strong enough to throw over defenses?

P.S., Looks like Elway is pushing all his chips in early. This either works and they win a super bowl or it looks like a spectacular failure in 2 years.
I'd think it would take a new everything but mind for Manning. Really I kind of see Manning as Favre 2.0, could only guess what will happen if Manning flops this season.

Latest posts