1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Losers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Mar 12, 2014.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    HA-HA Broncos & Patriots!

We all know the real way to build a great team is to draft & develop.
    Signing good players via free agency is A) stupid, B) expensive, C) risky, D) not right.

Why don't these guys know they should have waited to May's draft and find some collegiate guys to fill their holes?
    Safeties like draft gems Jerron McMillian or Brandon Underwood, or undrafted nuggets like MD Jennings or Sean Richardson?
    Or unwanted CHEAPER free agents like Marquand Manuel!

John Elway is so stupid!!!
    Belichick is an idiot for paying so much for one great CB in Revis.
    Doesn't he know Revis is just a cornerback?

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/12/patriots-sign-darrelle-revis/?eref=sircrc
    Report: Patriots, Darrelle Revis agree to one-year, $12 million deal
    The New England Patriots and cornerback Darrelle Revis reached agreement on a one-year, $12 million deal, according to ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HA-HA Stupid Broncos!!!!
    Now what will they do in May when the draft is here?

Oh wait, they're still allowed to draft too?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    FrankRizzo
    This message by FrankRizzo has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Old Old x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,036
    If you'd like to be in a giant cap mess in two to three years with Rodgers still being awesome, then I'm really glad you're not TT.

It's pretty easy to see that the Broncos are loading up trying to win one before Manning is all done. Rodgers has much more time left than Manning.

And remember the team that wins in March rarely wins in January and February. There is no guarantee the Broncos defense will be better.

Plus, the Patriots lost one really good corner and gained one really good corner. I doubt that's going to make much difference on how good they are.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    @FrankRizzo please fix the quote tags in your post

4. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,036

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...marcus-ware-aqib-talib-tj-ward/#ixzz2voS5xJ5X

Basically, the signings look good now, but nothing good is guaranteed to come out of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    How do you know this? Mannings contract will be off the books by then, which will allow for these signings. Maybe?

6. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    That entire article is based on odds. Even so, the writer acknowledges that the Broncos went for broke. Don't be silly. Adding Ware, Talib and Ward is huge. It's beyond a major upgrade to a defense. It is massive. Of course all 3 could end up on IR. That's the chance you take. But what are the chances that the Broncos defense will be better, much better next year? Pretty good.

Yes, Biff Elway and the Broncos are in "win now" mode. The Packers are not quite on that situation, so this wouldn't fit them. But that doesn't detract from what the Broncos did. Odds? So what. The Broncos have put themselves in a situation to get back to the SB like no other team has.

7. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I suppose I don't know for sure, but 60 million guaranteed in these guys sure doesn't bode well for the cap.

I posted earlier about how the Packers are in a situation in response to the original post comparing the Broncos and Packers to each other. Totally different situations.

Also, I'll disagree with the odds being pretty good of a better, much better defense.. The last time I can think of a team that made this big of moves on defense was Tampa Bay last season with Revis and Goldston. Guess how much they improved? A whole .3 points a game or 5 points total.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    So the broncos struggle to score any points in the SB, lose a #2 WR, and dump money into the defense?

I mean they upgraded the D but it wasn't a shootout in the SB, it was the offense that had issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. mor4les

mor4les Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    I doubt getting nobody on defense is really going to make a diference on how much the packers defense improves

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  10. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    Actually, what the Broncos did was pretty smart and won't hurt them in the long run. Ware signed a 3-year 30 mil contract. Manning's contract is up after next year and he may play one more year after that. So basically, the Broncos loaded up for next year, but 2 years down the road 2 huge contracts come off the books.

Meanwhile they can draft and develop a few guys behind 3 all-pros they just landed, a safety, a CB, and an elite OLB/DE pass rusher.

So, everyone who thinks that the Broncos sold the farm just for next year might be surprised when in year 3 they aren't in such bad shape cap-wise, and they still have an all-pro safety and an all-pro CB.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,567
    I took a look at the contracts the Broncos handed out over the last two days and they're structured really good, don't think they will be in cap hell in one or two years (the Talib contract numbers still aren't known though).

12. JacobInFlorida

JacobInFlorida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't think the cap matters. I doubt any of the guys they signed yesterday will be there in year 3 anyway except maybe Ward. They aren't playing for long term anyway. They're just trying to squeeze the last of their football life out of em with Manning. I just don't see it working.

13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,567
    The way the contracts are structured matter, cause players that are released before the end of their contracts result in dead money counting against the cap.

14. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    With as many rings as Bill bell-a-cheat has, I would hardly call the man stupid or the team stupid. The broncos....hmm....maybe that was a little much seeing as how this could be mannings last year and he overpaid for the others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  15. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,036
    So I did some digging about the Broncos future cap and this is all I could find.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-crude-guesstimate-on-denvers-current-cap-space

No idea how reliable a source it is, but it does say the cap number seems like it will me fine. You guys could be right and I certainly could be wrong about my salary cap mess post.

Although, I'm still not changing my stance that these signings do not guarantee anything for the Broncos based on recent history.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

16. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +344
    But they have guys like Von, DT, and Julius coming up all will be top 5 paid at their positions

17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,567
    That is true, but Von Miller and Demariyus Thomas will already count more than $11 million vs. the cap next year. Of course they will get more lucrative deals, but they´ll figure out a way to stay under the cap.

18. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +344
    IF Elway is able to win a SB with this regime and somehow keep this team relevant post Manning he will not doubt be the best GM in the NFL IMO. At this point if I were them, I'd almost be willing to mortage thier draft and go up and get one of the QB's in this class to develop ala Rodgers/Favre situation.

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    Lmk when they fix the offense that couldn't do anything in the SB

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    would be funny if there was the unlikely chance of the same meeting in the SB 2 years in a row..... and the broncos taking another a$$ whoppin

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  21. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    And what will happen if Manning goes down, another sucky season for the team? Clearly a SB or bust antic and I'll laugh if the QB behind Manning has to play in serious scenarios. Somehow I get the feeling if the Broncos are in a similar situation as the Packers were last season, they wouldn't make the playoffs. Also remember the Eagles and their dream team of lore.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Now that I've thought more about the Broncos spending spree, I don't have a problem with it. They know Manning's time is limited and are going for it all. It's not sustainable, of course, but thy might as well go for broke while Manning is still there.

Now if the Packers did the same with Rodgers having many years left, I would not be happy the moves.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

23. JacobInFlorida

JacobInFlorida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    I'm aware of that, I just believe that after Manning retires after next year or the next they're gonna be blowing things up and starting over somewhat so I don't think they really care too much about the cap for then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    10-4. Can they sign a new arm for Peyton strong enough to throw over defenses?

P.S., Looks like Elway is pushing all his chips in early. This either works and they win a super bowl or it looks like a spectacular failure in 2 years.

25. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    I'd think it would take a new everything but mind for Manning. Really I kind of see Manning as Favre 2.0, could only guess what will happen if Manning flops this season.