Losers

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Since when has the salary cap stopped the Broncos. Does anyone remember that they were over the cap they year they won the Super Bowl against the Packers. All they got was a slap on the wrist by the NFL powers that be.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HAHA... these teams are still so stupid, thinking they can add talent now instead of waiting til May and drafting college kids! You are supposed to keep your own players, and then draft guys like Terrell Manning, Jerron McMillian, Jerel Worthy with your 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks and teach em up! Not draft NFL-proven, ready players who have been tainted on other teams already!

Teddy laughs at you San Francisco, Seattle, and New England!

Free agent DT Henry Melton visiting Seattle
Free agent DT Henry Melton will visit the Seahawks on Friday.

As if the Seahawks needed to get stronger up front on the defensive line. Melton, 27, entered free agency as our No. 12 overall player available and would have been higher if he wasn't coming off a September torn ACL. Melton's market has been relatively quiet -- he's visited the Vikings -- but if he's struggling to find better than one-year offers, going to Seattle to rehab his value on a prove-it deal could be the best option. Melton had 13 sacks from 2011-12. Last year Seattle signed two defensive linemen, Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril, in free agency to similar deals, and they both paid immediate dividends. No need to draft & develop everyone.

Report: Browner close to deal with Patriots
A "well-placed" team source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter that free agent CB Brandon Browner is close to an agreement with the Patriots, but that it's a "tough deal to do because of suspension, etc."

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports that Browner has "spread the word to those close to him" that he's agreed to terms with the Pats, but his agent vehemently denies it. Browner's rep has spoken directly with many reporters. As such, the deal can't be considered official, but it likely will be some time in the next 24 hours.
Julian Edelman visiting San Fran on Friday
Free agent WR Julian Edelman will visit the 49ers on Friday.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the 49ers are also interested in Hakeem Nicks. The Niners have slow-played the market, but are one of the more receiver-needy teams in the league. Edelman would represent a true slot threat that hasn't really been present during the Jim Harbaugh era. Provided the money is right, it would be a good signing for a team in the toughest division in football.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why even play this season?......Broncos have already won the SB...just like Philadelphia did when they loaded up a couple of years ago.....and Washington.....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year the cries were about Steven Jackson and how doomed we were when we didn't get him

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some fans here are in such denial, so defensive.

Think about this: Since the magical Super Bowl January run (beating Vick, Ryan, Cutler to make Super Bowl), we have not won a single playoff game. Yes we beat the Joe Webb Minnesota Vikings, who were a horrible team as we have seen before that fluke season and since that season.

We went from that 2011 great first 3 months of record-nearing offense, with these weapons:
Jermichael, Jones, Driver, Jordy, Cobb, Jennings, to now just two of these six guys.
And the defense is worse now, and no holes have been filled in free agency with upgrades.
You think just magic is going to make the defense better?
Who are the safeties?
Burnett is not very good, and he's our only one.
The ILB's are subpar.

How does TT draft those positions?
Traded up for Terrell Manning 3 years ago.
Drafted Jarron McMillian 3 years ago.
Gave Capers MD Jennings and McMillian to work with.
Capers best option at ILB was a 7th round OLB, Brad Jones.

If you are really buying his 100% Draft & Develop theory, thinking it's okay to not add pieces like Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett via free agency, yet you still expect this team to suddenly change it's course downwards, all by his drafting, you are sorely mistaken.

His drafting is barely above-average. I'd grade his last 5 years of drafts as a flat 'B' grade.
When you get an 'F' in free agency, you have to draft as an 'A'.

There were a handful of safeties available in free agency who would have been A) affordable and B) instant UPGRADES over our current stable of safeties.
He didn't do it, and I'd love to see Capers follow Kevin Greene's lead and walk away.

You ask a chef to prepare a good meal but keep providing him generic crappy ingredients?
Face it, our Super Bowl win was great, and enough joy to last a long time.
And it's going to have to do that because until Thompson drafts much better, or fills a few holes with proven talent via free agency, there's no way in hell this team is going to improve enough to catch and pass the premiere teams.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers GM Ted Thompson has a reputation for playing it very conservatively in free agency, to the point this offseason that some of his team’s fans had begun to question the approach.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/15/julius-peppers-signs-green-bay-packers/

The addition of Peppers changes the narrative — the 34-year-old has lost a step or two but remains a dangerous defensive weapon, as evidenced by 30.5 sacks over the past three seasons (7.5 last year)
Not only FANS, but McCarthy, Capers, and Kevin Greene.

The TT-lovers who bought into the 100% Draft strategy, who say Free Agency is risky, well so is the draft.

Justin Harrell
Jerel Worthy
Terrell Manning
Pat Lee
Jaron McMillian

These guys were all drafted from rounds 1-3, and were gambles..... none ever provided anything good, and they got money.

Projecting collegians into the NFL is less scientific and more of a gamble than a guy in the NFL from one team to another.

This was a great move by Thompson.
And this move is a credit to those of you who had been advocating utilizing free agency to add some proven veteran talent.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FIRE TT>>>>>>>>FIRE TT !!!!!.....He knows nothing about running an NFL team!.....He can't draft.....he won't sign FAs.......Any one of us could run the team and get them to the SB every year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Please note that this is SARCASM....... The panic button is getting worn out

Everything in life and football is pretty much a gamble.....some are reckless with it, some are cautious.....this I do not deny.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
So I did some digging about the Broncos future cap and this is all I could find.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-crude-guesstimate-on-denvers-current-cap-space

No idea how reliable a source it is, but it does say the cap number seems like it will me fine. You guys could be right and I certainly could be wrong about my salary cap mess post.

Although, I'm still not changing my stance that these signings do not guarantee anything for the Broncos based on recent history.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk
Found another source for you. If this is right, the Broncos will have $44 million in cap space next year. http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Broncos

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We haven't won a playoff game since we won the Super Bowl! Except for they one we won" lol. Wouldn't it be easier to just say we only won one Playoff game since we won the SB?

It's sad when packer fans go out of their way to discredit success the team has had.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/15/julius-peppers-signs-green-bay-packers/

Not only FANS, but McCarthy, Capers, and Kevin Greene.

The TT-lovers who bought into the 100% Draft strategy, who say Free Agency is risky, well so is the draft.

Justin Harrell
Jerel Worthy
Terrell Manning
Pat Lee
Jaron McMillian

These guys were all drafted from rounds 1-3, and were gambles..... none ever provided anything good, and they got money.

Every GM has misses. Look at the bears for the last many years. TT also has some hits that you left out, including the best QB in the game, two of the best defenders in GB in a decade (CM3 and Collins) and maybe the best UDFA pick up in the league right now (maybe I'm forgetting someone, let me know if I am) in Sam Shields.

Projecting collegians into the NFL is less scientific and more of a gamble than a guy in the NFL from one team to another.
Except this isn't efficient because of the higher cost for FAs and the amount of uncertainty regarding how they practice, what the coaches were calling on the plays and what the teammates around them were doing. Teams that try to build mostly with FA pickups end up with over priced guys that kill their cap. See the bills, redskins, etc. Also, see the bears who just had to cut Peppers and are still going to pay him 8mil this year in dead cap money. It's a really, really inefficient way to run a team.

This was a great move by Thompson.
And this move is a credit to those of you who had been advocating utilizing free agency to add some proven veteran talent.
I really hope so. The upside of this is huge. A guy that can make the plays he can could turn around these close games that we lose even if he disappears the rest of the time. It's up to Trgvac to get him to turn up when we need him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what will happen if Manning goes down, another sucky season for the team? Clearly a SB or bust antic and I'll laugh if the QB behind Manning has to play in serious scenarios. Somehow I get the feeling if the Broncos are in a similar situation as the Packers were last season, they wouldn't make the playoffs. Also remember the Eagles and their dream team of lore.

And what makes you so sure? Osweiller. Or whatever his name is can come on and do what folk did in Philly . You can't assume they would suck because Manning went down. He's been learning from Manning two yrs now. We didn't have anyone being groomed by Rodgers when he wny down and had to bring back a guy who had been gone two yrs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when has the salary cap stopped the Broncos. Does anyone remember that they were over the cap they year they won the Super Bowl against the Packers. All they got was a slap on the wrist by the NFL powers that be.

Lol great point. These guys on here fail to mention that tho.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some fans here are in such denial, so defensive.

Think about this: Since the magical Super Bowl January run (beating Vick, Ryan, Cutler to make Super Bowl), we have not won a single playoff game. Yes we beat the Joe Webb Minnesota Vikings, who were a horrible team as we have seen before that fluke season and since that season.

We went from that 2011 great first 3 months of record-nearing offense, with these weapons:
Jermichael, Jones, Driver, Jordy, Cobb, Jennings, to now just two of these six guys.
And the defense is worse now, and no holes have been filled in free agency with upgrades.
You think just magic is going to make the defense better?
Who are the safeties?
Burnett is not very good, and he's our only one.
The ILB's are subpar.

How does TT draft those positions?
Traded up for Terrell Manning 3 years ago.
Drafted Jarron McMillian 3 years ago.
Gave Capers MD Jennings and McMillian to work with.
Capers best option at ILB was a 7th round OLB, Brad Jones.

If you are really buying his 100% Draft & Develop theory, thinking it's okay to not add pieces like Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett via free agency, yet you still expect this team to suddenly change it's course downwards, all by his drafting, you are sorely mistaken.

His drafting is barely above-average. I'd grade his last 5 years of drafts as a flat 'B' grade.
When you get an 'F' in free agency, you have to draft as an 'A'.
You should have mentioned:

He drafted Sherrod in the first
He Took Alex Green in the 3rd
DJ Williams in the 5th

AND he has not brought in any offensive FAs.

So now explain why TT, and average drafter in your opinion, who has seldom used FA on offense, and yet the Packers still have on of the best offenses in the NFL.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that I've thought more about the Broncos spending spree, I don't have a problem with it. They know Manning's time is limited and are going for it all. It's not sustainable, of course, but thy might as well go for broke while Manning is still there.

Now if the Packers did the same with Rodgers having many years left, I would not be happy the moves.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Devils advocate question here, but -- couldn't it be argued that as long as Rodgers is here, the Packers will always be a contender, regardless of their situation?

Say for example the Packers make a huge few moves, win Super Bowl 50, and wind up going through salary cap hell by 2017. They keep Rodgers no matter what of course, so couldn't it be argued that even in a situation like that, they remain contenders and the ends justify the means?

Just asking for the sake of debate. I think it could just as easily be argued that we followed that model in Favre's later years, and it led to the 4-12 season and 8-8 seasons of 2005 and 2006, so we know how that went. Though Favre didn't seem to have the ability to succeed in his later years regardless of his supporting cast like Brady seems to be able to do in New England.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should have mentioned:

He drafted Sherrod in the first
He Took Alex Green in the 3rd
DJ Williams in the 5th

AND he has not brought in any offensive FAs.

So now explain why TT, and average drafter in your opinion, who has seldom used FA on offense, and yet the Packers still have on of the best offenses in the NFL.
RODGERS, great receivers, and a smart offensive mind in McCarthy. Did I mention Rodgers?
How'd the team, the talent, look last year without Rodgers again?

Here's a reminder.
And remember how horrible those Lions were down the stretch.
This was the exception.
Without Rodgers, we were as bad as anyone most weeks.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Thompson listened to you. Hey, can you call Obama and have him repeal this whole healthcare thing?
Please don't get me started..... but my state didn't have anything to do with that whole disaster.... yet it's affecting us. Not fair.
Wisconsin on the other hand....

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RODGERS, great receivers, and a smart offensive mind in McCarthy. Did I mention Rodgers?
How'd the team, the talent, look last year without Rodgers again?

Here's a reminder.
And remember how horrible those Lions were down the stretch.
This was the exception.
Without Rodgers, we were as bad as anyone most weeks.
Yeah, I remember. Rodgers was out and Flynn stepped in and had one of the biggest days of any QB in NFL history.

Oh wait, that was the year before.

Your point again? Why do the Packers have an amazing offense when TT sucks at drafting and they don't bring in FA?

D

Deleted member 6794

Every GM has misses. Look at the bears for the last many years. TT also has some hits that you left out, including the best QB in the game, two of the best defenders in GB in a decade (CM3 and Collins) and maybe the best UDFA pick up in the league right now (maybe I'm forgetting someone, let me know if I am) in Sam Shields.

Tony Romo, Arian Foster, Wes Welker and James Harrison all were UDFA.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did whined some about not signing Byrd but the way the Broncos are throwing money around it can't be good for the future of the franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts