Breaking down an NFL contract

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just reading about Davon House's new contract in link below.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...modest-deal-with-veteran-cb-worth-2-8-million

$1.5 million base salary
$850,000 signing bonus
$300,000 in per-game active roster bonuses
$150,000 workout bonus

The only guaranteed money in the deal is the signing bonus, and this contract has a total value of $2.8 million.

I'm not really that knowledgeable on contract structure, and this piques my curiosity.

- I thought signing bonus was only for in-demand players as added incentive. Surprised it applies to relatively free FAs to speak.
- And what the heck is a workout bonus? Isn't it part of job description to work out when playing for a team? Does it require a bonus? Does he get it if he just works out and not play games?
- Are we playing hims $300k for every game he's active (whether or not he played) or only where he plays?

Anyone can explain how the contracts usually works? Any links?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Workout bonus is for offseason team functions that are voluntary. It is a way to get the players to show up to these functions. Has nothing to do with the NFL season.

The $300K reads as though it is probably up to $300K in bonuses for various goals reached during games. Maybe he gets a bonus for being a starter, NFC D player of the week, interceptions, passes defenses. I assume if he hits on all of them it is an extra $300K they spend. Believe these count against the cap for the time being.

Most players get signing bonuses. Just a way to guarantee money since no contracts are guaranteed.

overthecap has more contract info.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish they would show the meal money they get... There's other parts to contract not announced

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Workout bonus is for offseason team functions that are voluntary. It is a way to get the players to show up to these functions. Has nothing to do with the NFL season.

The $300K reads as though it is probably up to $300K in bonuses for various goals reached during games. Maybe he gets a bonus for being a starter, NFC D player of the week, interceptions, passes defenses. I assume if he hits on all of them it is an extra $300K they spend. Believe these count against the cap for the time being.

Most players get signing bonuses. Just a way to guarantee money since no contracts are guaranteed.

overthecap has more contract info.

I could be wrong, but I believe the (up to) $300,000 in per game roster bonuses refers to a bonus for every week he is on the active gameday roster at $18,750 a game ($300,000 for 16 games. )

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe the (up to) $300,000 in per game roster bonuses refers to a bonus for every week he is on the active gameday roster at $18,750 a game ($300,000 for 16 games. )

I think you are correct. A clause I wish that every NFL contract had. Nothing like getting paid for standing on the sideline in street clothes or sitting on a couch somewhere watching your team play.

Members online

Latest posts