Biggest mistake of the offseason

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I always remember house being a physical guy who had the ability to disrupt receivers at the line... he had some to learn before being a shutdown cb. I don't know how the jags used him or how he played while there. But I imagine it wasn't great strategy... it's the jags...
I think we needed a cb who can man up. We have a good group around him. If he can play decent, he will look like the second coming, after what we suffered through last year.

I never said he was a shut down cb. For the record :)

I believe you, but you're gonna need to help me understand what you meant above.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't expect to get much out of Jones until mid season at best, although he stated he things he will be ready to go by September. But that is the beauty of the pick IMO. You are getting a guy who would have been a top first round pick, for the price of a #2. Not expecting much out of him in year 1, but enough time to have him fully ready to contribute as a possible #1 or #2 CB in year 2.

Jones would be an awesome pick in the second round if Thompson only had addressed the need for a veteran atop the depth chart this offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jones would be an awesome pick in the second round if Thompson only had addressed the need for a veteran atop the depth chart this offseason.

Agreed and I don't think TT is going to get lucky enough to address that need with the #29 pick either. Drafting Sidney Jones could possibly give the Packers the best chance in the future for a "Plan B" if the current group of CB's don't improve. House, Randall and Rollins appear to be set up for a lot of playing time to start the season. Jones could be ready to go a month or two in and get some valuable experience and not be counted on to be the immediate savior that I think some might expect out of a CB that was taken at #29.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundreds from my time in the USMC alone. You figure out the situation, make a decision, plan and execute. Want to sit on your *** and 'hope' things will turn out ok and take care of themselves? Good luck with that.
As for a football plan, check out BB and the Pats off season. Not just the moves they made, but how they've backed themselves up with options and fallback positions. They're set up to do more; they're not done yet.
Meanwhile, we 'hope' the kids can turn it around this year, and 'hope' there will be someone good available when we pick in the draft.

Every plan relies on hope to an extent. Ted could have signed the top FA pass rusher top LB and top CB and you still hope they pan out. All the planning in the world will never eliminate the uncertainty and proper execution is far from a given.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Every plan relies on hope to an extent. Ted could have signed the top FA pass rusher top LB and top CB and you still hope they pan out. All the planning in the world will never eliminate the uncertainty and proper execution is far from a given.

Or the ONE BIG HOPE that the Packers have had every season since 2008 and I would gladly wager to say, the entire season probably hinges on........ #12 isn't injured.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As far as what I'm talking about, you don't know what you're talking about. Please do not lecture me about my experiences . We did not rely on hope- or luck- at all in our planning, but extreme planning , preparation, and execution. You don't f**k around with 'hope' and 'luck' when lives are at stake. Hope and luck are for the unprepared. Want to see hope and luck in action? Go to Vegas.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps 'hope' should be replaced by 'expectation' or something similar (i.e., if I do this, I expect that to happen), but otherwise, I would really like to hear about projects/programs/assignments that went off exactly as planned. My background is military war planning/logistics, and everything I worked with had a section reserved for assumptions. Luck, too, has to play a part in anything where people are involved. Certainly, the better the assumptions, planning, training, preparation, et. al., the better the expected results, but the old adage about no plan surviving first contact is very much true.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and you think Ted just sits around waiting? Probably how he earned the reputation of one of the hardest working men in football I guess :)

and even when lives are on the line, there's always room for hope. ***** didn't become a saying for the fun of it and even with the best laid plans, things happen. Even to Marines, like that time the Navy deployed everyone and they had no dance partners for the ball.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps 'hope' should be replaced by 'expectation' or something similar (i.e., if I do this, I expect that to happen), but otherwise, I would really like to hear about projects/programs/assignments that went off exactly as planned. My background is military war planning/logistics, and everything I worked with had a section reserved for assumptions. Luck, too, has to play a part in anything where people are involved. Certainly, the better the assumptions, planning, training, preparation, et. al., the better the expected results, but the old adage about no plan surviving first contact is very much true.

I'll go with expectation as a better word. But - and again, where I was in the Marines and what we did is in every way a different world than civilian life- we relied on planning and preparation, concluding with execution, which was a function of our training and reliance on each other. Interesting background, HE. Mine was on the other end; making it happen.
We often joked that "the plan" would survive contact for 30 seconds. Plan B for another 20 seconds, and then we'd draw up plan C in the dirt. But the reality was that all the things that could go wrong were figured on, and when coming to a place in an op where things could go off into A, B, or C, we were prepared to go smoothly in any direction and continue on to completion of our objective. We didn't come into a problem and then sit down, hold hands and have a "hope' session; nor did we consult the Magic 8 Ball.
People give too much credence to things like luck or hope. It's like the word 'accident'. There's really no such thing; it's cause and effect. Trace back far enough from an 'accident', and you'll arrive at the point where somebody f**ked up.
In the context of the Packers, we read here about luck, and how we don't know how something/some move will turn out. Although this is completely different than what I talked about above, I think it still comes down to preparation , planning, and making good decisions followed by action. A fallback excuse here for our boy Teddy is that 'there's no guarantee' in doing something. But do nothing is a guarantee of failure. Ted is too rigid in his ways, and far too risk averse, and that is why this team continues to slide farther away from it's goals. Holes will continue to sprout, the old ones will fester, and there will be less and less means and opportunities to address them with.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Student preparing for exam and a bachelor trying to score in a bar have hope. NFL coaches prepare. The saying goes "Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst". It's not really a plan if you are just hoping to stumble to SB.

NFL coaches prepare and hope their preparations are enough.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you figure? Aaron Rodgers drafted when you already have a HOF'er that went on to play another 6 years and appeared in 2 more NFCCG's. He was hardly done. Being able to release sitton and not miss a beat. other than 1 year where it was a bit stumbly, always having a core of play makers, especially at WR to run this offense. We're talking a decade and not just 1 or 2 guys.

The draft to make the switch to a 3-4 from a 4-3

True he doesn't take all the risks everyone wants, but when he does it's usually pretty good for us. He's not perfect. I can understand not liking his plan, or his approach, but I don't understand how people come away with thinking he doesn't have a plan or is capable of stringing together a thought.

You hit the nail on the head for me on that one Mondio. Anyone who thinks Ted doesn't have a plan is just complaining to have something to complain about. Not liking the way he does things is not the same as him not doing anything.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has failed on a number of big aquistions because he is afraid to take what he sees as risks. not trading for lynch, not trading for moss in a similar situation. no one can argue that much and moss weren't worth 3rd round picks and TT drew a line in the sand at a 4th for some reason. I believe something similar happened with the acquisition of tony Gonzales and a 2nd.

Him not making those moves does not mean he is afraid to make them. He makes his decisions based on the information he has and based on what he thinks are the right moves for the team. He could have resigned Lang but he chose not to, that doesn't mean he was afraid to. He could have signed one of the top FA CBs but he didn't think it was the smart thing to do. It wasn't because he was afraid to. Its the same with every other decision he makes. If he doesn't sign or trade for a guy its because he doesn't think its the right thing to do and not because he is afraid he may be wrong. You might not agree but it doesn't mean he isn't doing what he thinks is best.

Do you drive 75 MPH in a school zone? If not why not? Are you afraid to or do you just think its not a good idea.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as what I'm talking about, you don't know what you're talking about. Please do not lecture me about my experiences . We did not rely on hope- or luck- at all in our planning, but extreme planning , preparation, and execution. You don't f**k around with 'hope' and 'luck' when lives are at stake. Hope and luck are for the unprepared. Want to see hope and luck in action? Go to Vegas.

I never said you relied on hope or luck in your planning. You plan everything and if you have done your job you have all the confidence in the world that everything will go according to that plan. That is what I would expect but you seem to be saying that if you plan everything it will always work out and I'm sorry but that isn't always the case. If it did you wouldn't need a plan B.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Too bad didn't have PackerDNA on your team. Everything he plans goes off without a hitch because he plans prepares and executes flawlessly.:rolleyes:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe you, but you're gonna need to help me understand what you meant above.
He had some things to learn before being a shut down cb. I just shortened it to, he had some to learn...

You need to sharpen up your broken English communication skills :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He had some things to learn before being a shut down cb. I just shortened it to, he had some to learn...

You need to sharpen up your broken English communication skills :)

Right, I got that part, but aren't you suggesting that he learned it and became a shutdown corner? Or are you saying he had more to learn when he left GB?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, I got that part, but aren't you suggesting that he learned it and became a shutdown corner? Or are you saying he had more to learn when he left GB?
He just learned how to not get injured. Once he was on the field, he definitely showed he had some tuning up to do. But like most every cb, it takes playing time to tune up their game... I feel house was progressing, despite getting burnt a few times during that 4th year here...

It seems jax seen potential too...

Someone mentioned that house started his decline when their scheme moved him out of man coverage... GB brought him back to play man coverage... that makes me hopeful that he will do well with what we need him to do. Maybe he has tuned up his game since he left here. I'm hopeful

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone who thinks Ted doesn't have a plan is just complaining to have something to complain about. Not liking the way he does things is not the same as him not doing anything.

Thompson is being evaluated by the moves he makes. Him not improving the defense is a fail, only trying doesn't cut it for a general manager in the NFL.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thompson is being evaluated by the moves he makes. Him not improving the defense is a fail, only trying doesn't cut it for a general manager in the NFL.

By some. By others he's being evaluated on the basis of "lol he's an idiot."

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For some, which is fine. For others they are evaluating him by the moves they want him to make or more to my point they are evaluating him on the assumption that just because he is not making the moves they want him to make he doesn't have a plan. I don't care if you don't like him because of the results he has gotten, that is your right and in the case of the defense I won't really argue. However, don't suggest that he is just sitting their twiddling his thumbs collecting a paycheck without a plan because he is not making the moves you think he should make.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

For some, for others they are evaluating him by the moves they want him to make not knowing if those moves are the right ones either. Even so it still doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan as some have suggested.

There's no doubt Thompson has a plan although I don't agree with it regarding the cornerback position.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said you relied on hope or luck in your planning. You plan everything and if you have done your job you have all the confidence in the world that everything will go according to that plan. That is what I would expect but you seem to be saying that if you plan everything it will always work out and I'm sorry but that isn't always the case. If it did you wouldn't need a plan B.

Not what I was saying, but thanks for the reply. Sorry if I went after your post too hard, all's good here with me.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad didn't have PackerDNA on your team. Everything he plans goes off without a hitch because he plans prepares and executes flawlessly.:rolleyes:

Aaaand then I saw this. Yes, in my 10 years as an NCO in Marine Force Recon, things did go well. It's why we never failed to accomplish any mission assigned to us.It's why I - and my men- are now all home alive.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
TT has had "a plan" and a pretty good plan since he became GM of the Packers, mainly to rely on his and his scouts ability to draft and his coaches ability to develop within. It's pretty "easy" to see why it has happened that way and why he hasn't wavered much as well as its easy to see the pitfalls of what happens when he isn't more flexible in his plan. He came into an organization that had a HOF QB and he was smart and fortunate enough to instantly draft another one. During his entire time as GM, his teams have been anchored by those 2 HOF QB's and along the way, some decent accompanying players helped to keep the Packers near the top of the NFL. I still don't doubt TT's ability to draft, but sticking too close to this D &D philosophy has hurt the Packers when either TT whiffed on a pick (to be expected), a major player is lost due to injury or a particular player couldn't be coached to fit the Packers system. That has led to what I think happens too often, the Packers find themselves too thin or not skilled enough at one or a few other positions, especially by the time they get to the playoffs when they need the level of play to be at its highest.

So yes, TT has a plan, I just question his being a bit too rigid in being willing to deviate from that plan and using other methods of player acquisition. The success he had with FA's like Woodson, Peppers and Cook should send a message to himself, "it is ok to rely on players outside of those you have drafted to give the Packers some experience and depth across the entire roster." The Packers typically start the season with a pretty solid 22-30 man roster, but once those players start falling or failing, which they do, too much reliance on JAG's, rookies and UDFA's seems to sink the Packers chances of completing the season in a "Plan Achieved" kind of way, a trip to the Super Bowl.

Members online

Latest posts