Biggest mistake of the offseason

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
considering the biggest and most important event in the offseason is coming up in about week, with months more of the offseason to come after that, I find these articles akin to being done before you even get your pants down. Completely unproductive, very embarrassing and pretty much useless.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/The-biggest-Green-Bay-Packers-mistake-of-the-offseason-52374677

Found it interesting that the article puts move of TJ Lang over our deficiencies in CB and pass rush.

So, rank which position will cause the biggest headache for us this season? For me

1) Cornerback
2) O-Line
3) Pass rush

I'm mostly worried about the starters at cornerback as well as depth at outside linebacker. I feel pretty confident about the offensive line although the starter at right guard has yet to be determined.

D

Deleted member 6794

considering the biggest and most important event in the offseason is coming up in about week, with months more of the offseason to come after that, I find these articles akin to being done before you even get your pants down. Completely unproductive, very embarrassing and pretty much useless.

What a huge surprise that you react that way when someone brings up mistakes being made when evaluating Thompson's offseason moves. :rolleyes:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm mostly worried about the starters at cornerback as well as depth at outside linebacker. I feel pretty confident about the offensive line although the starter at right guard has yet to be determined.
I flip your first two positions and agree with your third. I think the CBs are at least going to be competent and will be much better as a whole if the pass rushers consistently get through. I'd get the top two edge\ pass rushers first then look elsewhere.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

"Embarrassing"? I think our secondary qualified as "embarrassing" last season and Thompson doing nothing to fix the obvious is even more "embarrassing".

Last year injuries were used as an excuse. What's the excuse gonna be this year?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I flip your first two positions and agree with your third. I think the CBs are at least going to be competent and will be much better as a whole if the pass rushers consistently get through. I'd get the top two edge\ pass rushers first then look elsewhere.

It's extremely difficult to consistently put pressure on opposing quarterbacks if your cornerbacks aren't capable of covering receivers for at least two seconds though. There's no doubt both positions need to be upgraded though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK, if we inject "at the moment" in there, can you offer an opinion? :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
an even bigger surprise, another thread with another opportunity to ***** and moan about Ted and not signing SOMEBODY!!!!!!!! with the same old hats and same old arguments.

At this moment? the bulk of the offeseason hasn't even occurred. The most important part is still a week away. It's like picking a loser of a race and trying to pinpoint what he did in training 5 months in advance of even getting to the starting line. Forgive me if I think it's silly. But the rest of you carry on, by all means. Just like last year, I think we should have a thread titled, Dumbest moves proposed by forum members a year ago. and not to mention the odds are astronomically higher that the majority of the contestants are going to lose rather than win and you act like you successfully predicted something. LOL

We could then talk about how stupid all of you were for wanting to pay 8 million dollars a year for 4th round rookie contract production and many other things. But of course those are all forgotten, all you know is ted doesn't have all pro's at every position, and that's reason enough for you LOL. Remember when losing Sitton was the biggest mistake last year? That lasted what? 2 snaps into the season. But seriously, carry on like you know. In as many threads as humanly possible :)

D

Deleted member 6794

an even bigger surprise, another thread with another opportunity to ***** and moan about Ted and not signing SOMEBODY!!!!!!!! with the same old hats and same old arguments.

At this moment? the bulk of the offeseason hasn't even occurred. The most important part is still a week away. It's like picking a loser of a race and trying to pinpoint what he did in training 5 months in advance of even getting to the starting line. Forgive me if I think it's silly. But the rest of you carry on, by all means. Just like last year, I think we should have a thread titled, Dumbest moves proposed by forum members a year ago. and not to mention the odds are astronomically higher that the majority of the contestants are going to lose rather than win and you act like you successfully predicted something. LOL

We could then talk about how stupid all of you were for wanting to pay 8 million dollars a year for 4th round rookie contract production and many other things. But of course those are all forgotten, all you know is ted doesn't have all pro's at every position, and that's reason enough for you LOL. Remember when losing Sitton was the biggest mistake last year? That lasted what? 2 snaps into the season. But seriously, carry on like you know. In as many threads as humanly possible :)

While there's no doubt it's too early to fairly evaluate the Packers offseason before the final roster is set at the conclusion of training camp it is concerning that neither CB or OLB have been adequately addressed, especially as players drafted mostly take some time to develop at those positions.

In addition I'm still waiting for the name of a single impact veteran Thompson has signed after the draft was held as you have brought up that possibility on several occasions.

Another thing I wonder about is who is that $8 million a year player that didn't perform any better than a rookie fourth rounder??? And while Taylor did an admireable job replacing Sitton there's no doubt he didn't perform close to the All-Pro's level.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think you are a big fan of "Draft will fix everything" despite evidence to the contrary. Straight from the Draft to a Starter is probably the worst strategy any GM could possibly have.

There nothing on TT. Just that what posters think would be a problem area this year. Surely that's worth discussing?

D

Deleted member 6794

There nothing on TT. Just that what posters think would be a problem area this year. Surely that's worth discussing?

Don't you know that you will be declared a Thompson hater by Mondio and Pike immediately once you dare to mention a shortcoming on the Packers roster??? In addition both will tell you that it's unrealistic to have All-Pros six deep at each position on the roster although nobody ever suggested anything close to it.

Seems you didn't receive that memo. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are a big fan of "Draft will fix everything" despite evidence to the contrary. Straight from the Draft to a Starter is probably the worst strategy any GM could possibly have.

actually, I"m not a big fan of the draft will fix everything. I think health, experience and a player or 2 from the draft that can contribute ( not start) but be relied upon for 20 snaps a game can fix a lot.

With the line and weapons and QB we've amassed on one side of the ball, it can easily be enough. I think our 2 young corners are more like their rookie seasons then how they looked last year and I think a couple 2nd year players are poised for much bigger contributions than they had last year at the DL and safety position.

and discussing problem areas is completely different than declaring the biggest mistake of the offseason has already occurred. It's over reactionary. It's unnecessary. it's the same as someone that would declare it all fixed if we'd have signed Bouye in FA. Over reactionary, unnecessary. Or the same as people that will predict a 13-3 season Next monday if we get some of the players they want in the draft. any and all of those topics fall under my original post.

D

Deleted member 6794

actually, I"m not a big fan of the draft will fix everything. I think health, experience and a player or 2 from the draft that can contribute ( not start) but be relied upon for 20 snaps a game can fix a lot.

The Packers will need better production out of their rookie class than one or two players getting on the field for 20 snaps. In addition I don't expect the team to be significantly healthier next season but it seems a lot of fans taking that for granted.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was actually reading something yesterday talking about Thompson needs to have his best draft ever for Packers to be serious contenders this year and I agree. He is going to need to find at least two immediate players IMO.

While it's great to have hopes that Randall and Rollins will improve its just ridiculous to have the whole season hinging on it. It goes beyond those guys too as the number of players that we need improvement from and is as high as i've seen in a long time.

Hope and optimism is one thing but to just be so blind to the realities is another.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I was actually reading something yesterday talking about Thompson needs to have his best draft ever for Packers to be serious contenders this year and I agree. He is going to need to find at least two immediate players IMO.

While it's great to have hopes that Randall and Rollins will improve its just ridiculous to have the whole season hinging on it. It goes beyond those guys too as the number of players that we need improvement from and is as high as i've seen in a long time.

Hope and optimism is one thing but to just be so blind to the realities is another.
What do the Packers do if they have another year of similar injuries? Pray for better health in 2018? And if those players do not progress the way that some are projecting, then what?

Just a dicey proposition all the way around, to your point.

My stance is quite simple. I'm not saying that we won't get big years from Randall or Rollins or Gunter. Or a combination of the three. My stance is that I'm not comfortable relying upon that.

What Mondio and others fail to realize is that it's arguably just as plausible to project that those players will be the same or worse as it is to project that they will have big breakout years.

So I'm all for trying to acquire a name, like a Richard Sherman, to cover all bases. That way if plan A fails, you potentially have a plan B or even C. And right now, I'm looking at a year of Ted Thompson going with Plan A, and not having a secondary plan incase things don't go the way that he expects.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, because I haven't mentioned numerous times the need for better secondary play and the need for consistent pass rush? Silly me, I could have sworn those exact thoughts went thru my mind before. I could have also sworn that this type of offseason was mentioned 2 years ago by myself and others with all the contracts coming up. it's a reality of the NFL football, to blind to it is another thing too. and in the event we dont' get that, we can't have our super human QB lead our high powered offense to a grand total of zero ****ing points in a half in big games either. Just FYI

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do the Packers do if they have another year of similar injuries? Pray for better health in 2018? And if those players do not progress the way that some are projecting, then what?

Just a dicey proposition all the way around, to your point.

My stance is quite simple. I'm not saying that we won't get big years from Randall or Rollins or Gunter. Or a combination of the three. My stance is that I'm not comfortable relying upon that.

What Mondio and others fail to realize is that it's arguably just as plausible to project that those players will be the same or worse as it is to project that they will have big breakout years.

So I'm all for trying to acquire a name, like a Richard Sherman, to cover all bases. That way if plan A fails, you potentially have a plan B or even C. And right now, I'm looking at a year of Ted Thompson going with Plan A, and not having a secondary plan incase things don't go the way that he expects.
you haven't mentioned a thing that I don't realize. I fully realize all of it. What I don't do is turn a blind eye to the other realization, that we could have had Sherman last year, and if he ends up like Shields, and we go 3,4,5 deep in the secondary every single week with players constantly rotating in and out, it won't be any different.

D

Deleted member 6794

and in the event we dont' get that, we can't have our super human QB lead our high powered offense to a grand total of zero ******* points in a half in big games either. Just FYI

There's no doubt the offense contributed to the loss in the NFCCG. The problem being that the defense is that terrible the offense is forced to perform close to perfection for the Packers to stand a chance against teams featuring a high powered offense.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
oh, because I haven't mentioned numerous times the need for better secondary play and the need for consistent pass rush? Silly me, I could have sworn those exact thoughts went thru my mind before. I could have also sworn that this type of offseason was mentioned 2 years ago by myself and others with all the contracts coming up. it's a reality of the NFL football, to blind to it is another thing too. and in the event we dont' get that, we can't have our super human QB lead our high powered offense to a grand total of zero ******* points in a half in big games either. Just FYI
That super human quarterback you're referring to was 12-17 in the first half of what I am to just assume you're talking about the Atlanta game. 12-17 (70% completion) for 119 yards, despite dropped passes, a missed FG by Crosby, and a fumble by RIP.

But please carry on with your nonsensical backhanded suggestion that he deserves even the slightest bit of culpability for what transpired in the first half. I'll be chillin' on planet Earth while you're kickin' it on cloud 9.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Long and short for me, without going into the "Ted speak" and dissecting each and every position of concern, since that has already been done. I think the biggest mistake of the offseason is reflected in the sheer volume of veteran players that left the Packers and the numbers that were brought in to replace them. This team was already thin in veteran talent and depth, by the end of last season that was starting to show at several positions. So the Packers are going to have to rely on a lot more young players that didn't appear ready to step up last year to improve quite a bit. To think that just signing a few free agents, drafting 8 guys and kicking the tires on 20 UDFA's is going to make the Packers better this year, is having a little too much confidence in the development of our current young guys. I hope a lot of us are wrong, but IMO the Packers needed to get better than they were in 2016 for a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl, I think so far, they have set themselves up to go in the other direction.

The easy question for me is "Is the current roster better or worse than it was 3 months ago?" I'm not sure I would believe an argument that it is better but I am open to hoping that it will be come September.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
oh, because I haven't mentioned numerous times the need for better secondary play and the need for consistent pass rush? Silly me, I could have sworn those exact thoughts went thru my mind before. I could have also sworn that this type of offseason was mentioned 2 years ago by myself and others with all the contracts coming up. it's a reality of the NFL football, to blind to it is another thing too. and in the event we dont' get that, we can't have our super human QB lead our high powered offense to a grand total of zero ******* points in a half in big games either. Just FYI

Yeah they had some free agents due and quite frankly some of them needed to go. I don't think that is the issue at hand here. Last time I checked the Packers are 23 mill under the cap and could create more cap space easily so I don't see how you can turn it into "hard times in Green Bay" and we all "saw this coming".

The problem is the unwillingness to do anything different when trying to address immediate needs with the corner position glaring the most and it will probably cost all of us yet another season.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/The-biggest-Green-Bay-Packers-mistake-of-the-offseason-52374677

Found it interesting that the article puts move of TJ Lang over our deficiencies in CB and pass rush.

So, rank which position will cause the biggest headache for us this season? For me

1) Cornerback
2) O-Line
3) Pass rush

People are overrating the impact the loss of Lang will have on this team. 3/4 of the other starters are borderline Pro bowlers and the 4th is a solid/good starter and we have spent a year developing big bodies we drafted last year. Not everyone can be a ProBowler guys. And oh yeah. It's a freaking Guard.

On to the crux of this thread. Woot. Another TT bashing thread. I'm simply going to list the moves I'm happy TT made this offseason in order.

1: Bringing Perry back on deal that was reasonable for the market

2: NOT overpaying to match to bring back Lang

3: Switching out Bennett for Cook

4: NOT overpaying to match for Hyde. (With what he got I actually thought about putting this number 1)

5: NOT overpaying to match for Lacy.

Honorable Mention: While I wouldn't have been utterly opposed to bringing in either Bouye or Gilmore in the end I'm still content with the fact we're not the ones on the line for those contracts

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers will need better production out of their rookie class than one or two players getting on the field for 20 snaps. In addition I don't expect the team to be significantly healthier next season but it seems a lot of fans taking that for granted.

There's a difference between saying that better health would help and guaranteeing that it will happen.

But while the Packers did not deal with an above average amount of injuries overall in 2016, I think people are hopeful that they won't have so many concentrated to one position group as we saw at cornerback last season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts