Biggest mistake of the offseason

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about if you want a guy you get off your *** and sign him before anyone else can talk to him?
Lang was coming into the off season with a lot of injury concerns, and may have signed early with a good offer. Maybe he still waits to see what's out there, but we'll never know since Thompson low balled him after FA started, and to my knowledge never offered him before it started.
You can't pay a guard that much. Lang had to go.
I'd rather see the guys we did get. Perry, house in particular.

I still feel like we have one more fairly substantial signing left. The money we set aside to give lacy....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well probably never know the full details but I don't think TT handled it correctly. If he wanted to keep Lang at a reasonable price he should of been extended much earlier.

I think a lot of fans let it go with the idea of Lang leaving because we got tricked into Thompson might actually get aggressive in free agency. Now we're sitting here with no Lang and no no.1 corner and a bunch of cap space. Makes absolutely no sense.

On top of all that we have the most overpaid player in the league currently on our roster.
Salary cap dude. You can't have it all.

House brings veteran leadership. If he can stay healthy, he should be a solid #1 cb. Then we still have Randall, Rollins, Gunter. Who will most definitely look better after and off season to heal.... and I think a couple more CBs in the first half the draft. Fast ones.

I was all for trusting the young trio to hang tough in 2017. But after the Atlanta game, I hastily felt a replacement #1 veteran cb was an absolute must!!! But when the numbers hit the table, you have to listen... house may just be a bandaid. But he is a good one imo. And I'm sure the draft will net us some more CBs to develop, and hopefully strike gold.

Reaction score
considering the biggest and most important event in the offseason is coming up in about week, with months more of the offseason to come after that, I find these articles akin to being done before you even get your pants down. Completely unproductive, very embarrassing and pretty much useless.
This is the first time I've seen the use of the term "Akin" used synonymously with an "Aching" sentiment.
nicely done :cool:

D

Deleted member 6794

In reality... everyone in the secondary makes a lot of money...

Randall-was a fs when drafted. A good tackler, great hands, and a tad slow...

The Packers currently have only $19 million of cap space for next season allocated towards the secondary which ranks only 29th in the league.

Randall is a fast player but gets caught out of position way too often and in addition isn't a good tackler by any means.

House brings veteran leadership. If he can stay healthy, he should be a solid #1 cb.

I was all for trusting the young trio to hang tough in 2017. But after the Atlanta game, I hastily felt a replacement #1 veteran cb was an absolute must!!! But when the numbers hit the table, you have to listen...

House was a decent #4 cornerback during his first stint with the Packers but there's no reason to believe he's capable of covering opposing top receivers. Therefore the pressing need for a player atop the depth chart unfortunately hasn't been addressed so far this offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers currently have only $19 million of cap space for next season allocated towards the secondary which ranks only 29th in the league.

Randall is a fast player but gets caught out of position way too often and in addition isn't a good tackler by any means.

House was a decent #4 cornerback during his first stint with the Packers but there's no reason to believe he's capable of covering opposing top receivers. Therefore the pressing need for a player atop the depth chart unfortunately hasn't been addressed so far this offseason.
And haha is still on his rookie deal, and Burnett is due for a raise.... tell me where they rank salary wise for a safety duo, after they get new deals.

As far as house goes... he has had injury problems. The jags felt he had the tools to be a starter... but again, injuries...
House was one of my favorite prospects for years...he will do well if he can stay healthy imo

D

Deleted member 6794

And haha is still on his rookie deal, and Burnett is due for a raise.... tell me where they rank salary wise for a safety duo, after they get new deals.

As far as house goes... he has had injury problems. The jags felt he had the tools to be a starter... but again, injuries...
House was one of my favorite prospects for years...he will do well if he can stay healthy imo

That doesn´t change the fact that the Packers haven´t allocated a lot of money into their secondary for next season and the unit lacks experience.

BTW House didn´t miss a single game in two years in Jacksonville but lost his starting job beause he struggled.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen the use of the term "Akin" used synonymously with an "Aching" sentiment.
nicely done :cool:
sometimes I trip and fall into excellence, but with a couple dogs around it's usually dog stuff if you know what I mean.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you figure? Aaron Rodgers drafted when you already have a HOF'er that went on to play another 6 years and appeared in 2 more NFCCG's. He was hardly done. Being able to release sitton and not miss a beat. other than 1 year where it was a bit stumbly, always having a core of play makers, especially at WR to run this offense. We're talking a decade and not just 1 or 2 guys.

The draft to make the switch to a 3-4 from a 4-3

True he doesn't take all the risks everyone wants, but when he does it's usually pretty good for us. He's not perfect. I can understand not liking his plan, or his approach, but I don't understand how people come away with thinking he doesn't have a plan or is capable of stringing together a thought.

If this helps,since when I don't have a lot of time I tend to 'condense' a point, which tends to make it unclear to the reader.
You're talking about a move here and there over a period of years.
When you look at all the moves the Pats have made this offseason, and how they've a) backed themselves up with multiple options, and b) set themselves up for even more moves, I think a point can be made that BB has done more in one of fseason than Ted has done in a half dozen of them.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't pay a guard that much. Lang had to go.
I'd rather see the guys we did get. Perry, house in particular.

I still feel like we have one more fairly substantial signing left. The money we set aside to give lacy....

Better to plug Barclay in there. And there are no 'significant' signings available at this time- barring trade or a shocking cut. Though Ted would probably do nothing in the way of a trade.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Salary cap dude. You can't have it all.

You can have a hell of a lot if you use it properly, but you have to be willing to use it first.

House brings veteran leadership. If he can stay healthy, he should be a solid #1 cb. Then we still have Randall, Rollins, Gunter.
When did House turn into such a rock solid CB?
We're in complete agreement about the need to upgrade the team's overall speed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this helps,since when I don't have a lot of time I tend to 'condense' a point, which tends to make it unclear to the reader.
You're talking about a move here and there over a period of years.
When you look at all the moves the Pats have made this offseason, and how they've a) backed themselves up with multiple options, and b) set themselves up for even more moves, I think a point can be made that BB has done more in one of fseason than Ted has done in a half dozen of them.
and I only went with the biggest ones I could remember off the top of my head. Yes the Pats are making moves, but they haven't won anything yet. I've always liked them. I think people will be surprised with them this year and it's not going to be how dominant they are. But like always we'll find out.

I can't argue that they haven't had more success than us, since they have, but I don't think they were appreciably better than us last year. I think we would have beat them. I don't think Rodgers makes the same mistakes Ryan and company did in that game that turned the tide. and in 2o14 I would have loved to play them in the Super Bowl. I think we would have buried them. But as fate would have it, they performed the biggest choke job ever. I guess there's no sense in reliving all that. you'll see it one way and I don't think that Pats team could match up with us in any way that year.

But yes, BB seems to make more moves in a year than Ted has in a few. There's also a reason for that too
I hope to get a chance to play them this year

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and I only went with the biggest ones I could remember off the top of my head. Yes the Pats are making moves, but they haven't won anything yet. I've always liked them. I think people will be surprised with them this year and it's not going to be how dominant they are. But like always we'll find out.

I can't argue that they haven't had more success than us, since they have, but I don't think they were appreciably better than us last year. I think we would have beat them. I don't think Rodgers makes the same mistakes Ryan and company did in that game that turned the tide. and in 2o14 I would have loved to play them in the Super Bowl. I think we would have buried them. But as fate would have it, they performed the biggest choke job ever. I guess there's no sense in reliving all that. you'll see it one way and I don't think that Pats team could match up with us in any way that year.

But yes, BB seems to make more moves in a year than Ted has in a few. There's also a reason for that too
I hope to get a chance to play them this year

Yeah, I'm getting tired of predicting/salivating for a Rodgers/Brady SB (aka Packers vs Patriots), and being wrong. Maybe this year. Like you say, 'we'll see'.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn´t change the fact that the Packers haven´t allocated a lot of money into their secondary for next season and the unit lacks experience.

BTW House didn´t miss a single game in two years in Jacksonville but lost his starting job beause he struggled.
I
You can have a hell of a lot if you use it properly, but you have to be willing to use it first.

When did House turn into such a rock solid CB?
We're in complete agreement about the need to upgrade the team's overall speed.
I always remember house being a physical guy who had the ability to disrupt receivers at the line... he had some to learn before being a shutdown cb. I don't know how the jags used him or how he played while there. But I imagine it wasn't great strategy... it's the jags...
I think we needed a cb who can man up. We have a good group around him. If he can play decent, he will look like the second coming, after what we suffered through last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I always remember house being a physical guy who had the ability to disrupt receivers at the line... he had some to learn before being a shutdown cb. I don't know how the jags used him or how he played while there. But I imagine it wasn't great strategy... it's the jags...
I think we needed a cb who can man up. We have a good group around him. If he can play decent, he will look like the second coming, after what we suffered through last year.

Unfortunately I don't agree the Packers have a good group at cornerback around House.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I

House's peak in GB was as a solid contributor on the outside. At no pony was he a shutdown CB. I like the move the bring him in because the arrow was pointing up for him in this system before he went to JAX and struggled in a much different scheme. But we also don't want to overestimate what he was in his time here.

As for having a good group around him, that very much remains to be seen and depends almost entirely on the development of Randall and Rollins.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House's peak in GB was as a solid contributor on the outside. At no pony was he a shutdown CB. I like the move the bring him in because the arrow was pointing up for him in this system before he went to JAX and struggled in a much different scheme. But we also don't want to overestimate what he was in his time here.

As for having a good group around him, that very much remains to be seen and depends almost entirely on the development of Randall and Rollins.
House was a heavy hitter early on, and reminded me of Al Harris. Those hits kept hurting him though. He was barely able to play it seemed, most those first 3 yrs. Yr 4 he managed to get a good contract from jax. But I don't think Ted wanted to let him go.... When he was out there a lot, he did get burnt his share. But that's the learning curve. He progressed over his whole 4 yrs imo. What ever happened in jax? I'll never know. But I am optimistic he will play well for us in his homecoming .

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
House was a heavy hitter early on, and reminded me of Al Harris. Those hits kept hurting him though. He was barely able to play it seemed, most those first 3 yrs. Yr 4 he managed to get a good contract from jam. But I don't think Ted wanted to let him go.... When he was out there a lot, he did get burnt his share. But that's the learning curve. He progressed over his whole 4 yrs imo. What ever happened in jax? I'll never know. But I am optimistic he will play well for us in his homecoming .

I'm optimistic that he can play well too, but "shutdown corner" suggests something quite a bit more than that.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more optimistic that we draft a CB better than House or Randell. I haven't figured out which guy I think fits best at this point. I'm also torn on the thought of TJ Watt, I'd hate to draft a guy who might come off the bench in the first round, but a replacement for 52 is sooner than later.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm more optimistic that we draft a CB better than House or Randell.

I'm more optimistic about that in the long haul as well but unfortunately it will most likely take a rookie some time to develop into a decent cornerback at the pro level though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm more optimistic about that in the long haul as well but unfortunately it will most likely take a rookie some time to develop into a decent cornerback at the pro level though.
Not only time, but snaps. I keep playing this scenario out in my head, the Packers obviously must have some confidence in House, Randall and Rollins or they should have gone out and found more help via the FA Market. So if they spend a high pick on a CB, when is he going to get to play this year to improve?

My ideal scenario is trading back into the top half of the 2nd round (picking up an additional 4th round pick), using that early 2nd round pick for an OLB and our #61 pick for Sidney Jones (if they don't think he will still be around in the 3rd).

D

Deleted member 6794

My ideal scenario is trading back into the top half of the 2nd round (picking up an additional 4th round pick), using that early 2nd round pick for an OLB and our #61 pick for Sidney Jones (if they don't think he will still be around in the 3rd).

There's no doubt Jones is an intriguing prospect but because of his injury I'm worried about him being able to contribute at all in 2017.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, because I haven't mentioned numerous times the need for better secondary play and the need for consistent pass rush? Silly me, I could have sworn those exact thoughts went thru my mind before. I could have also sworn that this type of offseason was mentioned 2 years ago by myself and others with all the contracts coming up. it's a reality of the NFL football, to blind to it is another thing too. and in the event we dont' get that, we can't have our super human QB lead our high powered offense to a grand total of zero ******* points in a half in big games either. Just FYI

TT has failed on a number of big aquistions because he is afraid to take what he sees as risks. not trading for lynch, not trading for moss in a similar situation. no one can argue that much and moss weren't worth 3rd round picks and TT drew a line in the sand at a 4th for some reason. I believe something similar happened with the acquisition of tony Gonzales and a 2nd.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, he didn't get those guys. All those TDs and not a ring to show for it. And at the time, Moss for a 3rd was a big risk. Big contract, and dipping production with one bad attitude attached to it all. If someone suggested trading a 3rd round pick for that and his 50 catch average and less than 800 yards per season? ****. That's what he was coming off of over a 3 season period.

Turns out winning makes football fun for Randy, but a guy that can't guy it thru when things are tough is t worth a lot. And zero rings for all those catches and TDs. Perfect example of how all these imagined scenarios to get Rodgers 37 more super bowl rings are nothing but cool ideas with less than what I left in the toilet this morning behind them in the way of becoming reality .

We won a super bowl without Lynch, so there's that.

TG would have been nice, but again, won a super bowl without him too. Though I'm not going to argue that giving up the mike Neal pick wouldn't have been a no brainer looking back on it all. But then we destroyed them in Atlanta that year despite their 13-3 record and #1 seed in the playoffs. So how much of a failure was it really?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There's no doubt Jones is an intriguing prospect but because of his injury I'm worried about him being able to contribute at all in 2017.
I wouldn't expect to get much out of Jones until mid season at best, although he stated he things he will be ready to go by September. But that is the beauty of the pick IMO. You are getting a guy who would have been a top first round pick, for the price of a #2. Not expecting much out of him in year 1, but enough time to have him fully ready to contribute as a possible #1 or #2 CB in year 2. Conversely, how much are you going to get out of a CB you take at #29 this year and who will be the better player over the course of their career?

While Jones's injury gives me less pause for a full recovery then what Jaylen Smith had last year, it reminds me a bit of that situation. The Cowboys were willing to spend a #2 on a guy they thought would be contributing like a top pick in his second year.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW House didn´t miss a single game in two years in Jacksonville but lost his starting job beause he struggled.[/QUOTE]

supposedly house struggles coincided with a drastic reduction in the amount of press man coverage in jackonsonvile. but to be honest I never felt good when he had to be on field for packers

Members online

Latest posts